• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I suspect the lack of color variety has something to do with company rights. If you think about it, the characters that don't have much color variety (Cloud, Sonic, PacMan) are all third parties. Maybe they were strict with what kind of color pallete those character would have for some reason?
Maybe. If that is the case, then that's very unfortunate.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'd love more obscure IPs represented, but i doubt it's going to happen.
SSB usually sticks to the most relevant/important IPs for newcomers, i don't see random japanese-only/obscure/one-off characters joining the fray any time soon.

Nintendo has tons of IPs, but yeah...
I wouldn't say obscure or Japan-only IPs are not going to happen, especially since al Smash games had at least one without even counting the retros.
  • 64 had Ness, whose game was a cult following at best and wasn't even released in Europe at the time (Captain Falcon wasn't really obscure at the time)
  • Melee had the Fire Emblem characters, who were Japan-only at the time
  • Brawl had Lucas, who was Japan-only, and Ike may arguably count since his games didn't sell that well
  • Smash 4 had Shulk, who was very obscure before Smash and Chuggaaconroy's LP
Splatoon is like the only big omission when it comes to the Wii U -era - I'm quite surprised at how much Wii U stuff was put in Smash 4 already (Pikmin 3, Woolly World, MK8, Mario Maker, NSMBU, Tropical Freeze etc all got stages or trophies, for example). Of course many of those titles are still relevant but for completely new content, maybe Xenoblade X and Star Fox Zero are other missing "big" Wii U games... but those would probably only get a new stage if even that. 3DS-wise there's like only Sun/Moon not in Smash?
In all fairness, Splatoon, X and Zero were released after Smash 4.

Last edited:

WizzMaw

Smash Rookie
NNID
WIScysaus
Switch FC
SW-3237-6435-4512
This, they should have taken advantage from the 4 new slots to add unique and cool costumes rather than simply recolors.

Sonic
  • Metal Sonic
  • Sonic Boom outfit (only add a brown scarf and there you go)
  • Classic Sonic or Mania (original sprites from the Genesis Era and a lighter / saturated color)
Maybe a Shadow skin would be neat

Staarih

Smash Master
In all fairness, Splatoon, X and Zero were released after Smash 4.
True, I'm just wondering if Wii U has anything more to offer for the next Smash game, but most of it seems to be covered in Smash 4 already haha. Besides those three of course, of which two got new games on Switch already. So I'm expecting heavy focus on Switch games come Smash Switch, as it should be of course, being the current "thing".

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
I think we might get end up with Splatoon 2's inkopolis as a stage, maybe we don't get a xenoblade x stage either, we'd probably get a XC2 stage.
Star Fox Zero might be the only WiiU representation we get, since most of the IPs in smash are getting new games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think that not being 100% true to the source is a bad thing. There has be flexibility as well. I know that you are not arguing against this point, I'm just saying what is going through my head. There are times when even elements established in Smash cross into the canon of a respective series.
And I completely agree. The whole reason I brought the point up was because people were claiming that certain characters HAD to keep the moves and abilities they were known for. Sometimes Sakurai feels the need to make some changes to a character in order to make them better or more fun to play with. Lucario's Aura mechanic made him stand out as a unique character, and Ness/Lucas truthfully wouldn't have much to work with if their moveset stayed true to their games. I feel like both of these decisions were beneficial, and if Sakurai were do to something similar with future characters, I'd assume the changes would be for the best.

Nintendo Land and NES Remix seem like they could make for good stages, at the very least. (maybe a retro character, like the Excite Biker, could come from one of the games in NES Remix)

The Wonderful 101 is a Nintendo franchise, and I could easily see them getting plenty out of that, whether it's a character, a stage, or an assist trophy.

They could also take inspiration from the Pokken Tournament roster for a newcomer, though that seems less likely (they're bound to promote the newest generation instead), and Tropical Freeze could give them plenty of material to work with for Donkey Kong. Then there's Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker (though I'd rather not open up that can of worms again...), Xenoblade Chronicles X, and that's just Nintendo titles. I'm sure they've at least got a decent amount to work with.
I guess it all depends on how much time has passed since the Switch's debut. Most of the new Smash 4 stages were inspired from Wii games because the Wii U didn't have that much to work with. The Switch already has plenty to work with, so if even more titles are released before Smash Switch gets revealed, I think those games may overshadow most of what the Wii U had.

WizzMaw

Smash Rookie
NNID
WIScysaus
Switch FC
SW-3237-6435-4512
I'm just wondering if Wii U has anything more to offer for the next Smash game
But there was already a lot of Wii U stuff in Smash 4 so we can probably expect a bunch of Switch games based content right? Like BotW, Odyssey, Arms and perhaps stages from that new Kirby

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can we have All-Star Mode an unlockable mode again please? Feels so wrong seeing it available from the start.
So many things felt wrong to have at the start. Specifically characters that are either clones or alternate versions of characters like Toon Link.

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
And I completely agree. The whole reason I brought the point up was because people were claiming that certain characters HAD to keep the moves and abilities they were known for. Sometimes Sakurai feels the need to make some changes to a character in order to make them better or more fun to play with. Lucario's Aura mechanic made him stand out as a unique character, and Ness/Lucas truthfully wouldn't have much to work with if their moveset stayed true to their games. I feel like both of these decisions were beneficial, and if Sakurai were do to something similar with future characters, I'd assume the changes would be for the best.

I guess it all depends on how much time has passed since the Switch's debut. Most of the new Smash 4 stages were inspired from Wii games because the Wii U didn't have that much to work with. The Switch already has plenty to work with, so if even more titles are released before Smash Switch gets revealed, I think those games may overshadow most of what the Wii U had.
Pretty much.

If it releases in 2020 i see switch geting the focus for new content, by that time switch migh be by 60 million sales, for all we know.

There might be a new Star Fox game by then, so Star Fox Zero ins't 100% in, either.

2019 release seems a bit unlikely, through

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If Sakurai is director again, I'm just telling everyone now not to expect much Switch stuff. Every installation in the series so far has primarily focused on characters who were in games released the previous console generation.

Smash 64 (SNES+Gameboy Era)
:mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo 64+Gameboy Color Era)
:peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Exceptions:
:drmario::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo Gamecube+Gameboy Advance Era)
:toonlink::zerosuitsamus::metaknight::dedede::wolf::pt::lucas::ike::wario::olimar:
Exceptions:
:diddy::lucario::pit::rob:
Other (Third Party, they fit the pattern but were probably not included for the same reasons)
:sonic::snake:

Super Smash Bros. 4 (Wii, DS, and Early 3DS Era*)
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina::4palutena::4darkpit::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk::4miif:
Exceptions:
:4duckhunt:
Other (Third Party and DLC)
:4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin:

*Note that the 3DS had been released for over three years when SSB4 released, making it a bit of a weird case. If the Switch is over 2 years old or so when Smash 5 releases, that might be enough for an exception or two as well.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Splatoon is like the only big omission when it comes to the Wii U -era - I'm quite surprised at how much Wii U stuff was put in Smash 4 already (Pikmin 3, Woolly World, MK8, Mario Maker, NSMBU, Tropical Freeze etc all got stages or trophies, for example). Of course many of those titles are still relevant but for completely new content, maybe Xenoblade X and Star Fox Zero are other missing "big" Wii U games... but those would probably only get a new stage if even that. 3DS-wise there's like only Sun/Moon not in Smash?

Hmm, it does make me think how Switch will probably be the major focus of the next Smash (and with all the ports, Nintendo probably wants to forget Wii U anyway haha), maybe pointing more towards it really being a whole new game with so much more to cover.
Don't forget Kirby Planet Robobot, Fire Emblem Echoes, the entire Box Boy series, Samus Returns and ULTRA Sun & Moon on 3DS.

As for WiiU I think all are covered unless you count Hyrule Warriors and TMS#FE but those are kinda sorta crossovers in and of themselves.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Sakurai is director again, I'm just telling everyone now not to expect much Switch stuff. Every installation in the series so far has primarily focused on characters who were in games released the previous console generation.

:mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:

:peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Exceptions:

:toonlink::zerosuitsamus::metaknight::dedede::wolf::pt::lucas::ike::wario::olimar:
Exceptions:
Other (Third Party, they fit the pattern but were probably not included for the same reasons)

:rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina::4palutena::4darkpit::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk::4miif:
Exceptions:

*Note that the 3DS had been released for over three years when SSB4 released, making it a bit of a weird case. If the Switch is over 2 years old or so when Smash 5 releases, that might be enough for an exception or two as well.
Smash 64 had more stuff that was from N64 games than wasn't.

Not a lot happened on Wii U after Smash to be honest. I don't think they can get away with a Smash game on Switch without at least having the 2017 games.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
64 shouldn't really count. It's the first one, so it's a no-brainer that it took from everything since the Arcade days.

Arcade gets Mario, DK and Luigi.
NES gets Link and Samus.
SNES gets Fox, Yoshi, Falcon and Ness.
Game Boy gets Kirby, Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

EDIT: Then again, all of them were in SNES and/or Game Boy, which was your original point.

Last edited:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

To be fair, with how succeful the switch is, i wouldn't be surprised if we got mostly Switch + some 3ds stuff

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Even if we do follow that pattern, who else besides Inklings and a Gen VII Pokemon could they add from the Wii U and late 3DS era? Seems unlikely that the next Smash game won't put a heavy focus on the Switch and it's games.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

I mean not a whole lot released on the Wii U around the time Smash 4 came out. Really the only big hitters I remember that came out after Smash 4 and before the Switch was Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon (which was on 3DS), Super Mario Maker (which did end up getting a stage as DLC in Smash 4), Kirby: Planet Robobot (which I doubt is getting representation either way - they seem to ignore the modern Kirby games), and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which released on Switch on the same day).

Everything worth mentioning on the Wii U has already been covered by Smash 4 aside from, what, Paper Mario: Color Splash? And even then, what else?

Also you state at the beginning "if Sakurai comes back". If we get a new director behind the wheel for Smash 5, that could throw a wrench in this theory too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Smash Switch's stage and character design focus will be Switch/late 3DS based with Star Fox Zero tagging along but the characters could be anything.

• We've got the brand new series in Splatoon and ARMS.
  • We got newer series that are ripe for expansion like Animal Crossing and Xenoblade
  • We've got iterative series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem
  • We've got a lot of characters that "missed their chance" but could still make it like how Charizard did via Pokemon Trainer.
  • Characters that got dropped from previous games
  • The obligatory Retro character
  • And last but not least, we've got Nintendo's B level series that could easily expand (Donkey Kong and Kirby come to mind)
  • Not to mention, 3rd parties could potentially become an even bigger thing.
All that experience has taught us, is that we can't trust experience.

Last edited:

WizzMaw

Smash Rookie
NNID
WIScysaus
Switch FC
SW-3237-6435-4512
Seems unlikely that the next Smash game won't put a heavy focus on the Switch and it's games.
I really hope that Toon Link gets replaced by Hunter Link (or whatever you wanna call him) from BotW. We would still have two links but they wouldn't be such clones because you could do a lot of original interesting stuff with Hunter Link. Neutral-B could still be an arrow but the arrow could upgrade while you're holding the button like arrow>fire arrow>bomb arrow>ancient arrow. With his ub-b you could use the paraglider or even a combination between the paraglider and Revali's Gale. His grab could be Magnesis and his down-b could be Statis, kinda like Mewtwo's down-b. As side-b he could have a bomb thrown which you could explode whenever you want by pressing b. I'm just throwing with ideas here but my point is that I'd find it really cool if Toon Link is gonna be replaced by BotW Link.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In all fairness, Wonder-Red is because of the Wii U being a flop in general.
That and a lot of people dropped the game because of the first area. The first area is arguably the worst part of Wonderful 101, and I've heard many people who never went on to finish the game.

Can't help Chibi-Robo though. They overproduced the game and now they're selling for as low as $15 bucks (amiibo included).

I really hope that Toon Link gets replaced by Hunter Link (or whatever you wanna call him) from BotW. We would still have two links but they wouldn't be such clones because you could do a lot of original interesting stuff with Hunter Link. Neutral-B could still be an arrow but the arrow could upgrade while you're holding the button like arrow>fire arrow>bomb arrow>ancient arrow. With his ub-b you could use the paraglider or even a combination between the paraglider and Revali's Gale. His grab could be Magnesis and his down-b could be Statis, kinda like Mewtwo's down-b. As side-b he could have a bomb thrown which you could explode whenever you want by pressing b. I'm just throwing with ideas here but my point is that I'd find it really cool if Toon Link is gonna be replaced by BotW Link.
Thing is, I like all of the moveset potential for Wild Link (those Sheikah slate abilities and Champion talents would blend together beautifully), but I really don't want to see a third Link. It's a conflicting scenario that I'm sure many here have felt.

Last edited:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
I think Smash Switch's stage and character design focus will be Switch/late 3DS based with Star Fox Zero tagging along but the characters could be anything.

• We've got the brand new series in Splatoon and ARMS.
  • We got newer series that are ripe for expansion like Animal Crossing and Xenoblade
  • We've got iterative series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem
  • We've got a lot of characters that "missed their chance" but could still make it like how Charizard did via Pokemon Trainer.
  • The obligatory Retro character
  • And last but not least, we've got Nintendo's B level series that could easily expand (Donkey Kong and Kirby come to mind)
  • Not to mention, 3rd parties could potentially become an even bigger thing.
All that experience has taught us, is that we can't trust experience.
I agree on 3rd parties becoming a bigger thing, i think they might be take a huge role on the game's hype.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
But there was already a lot of Wii U stuff in Smash 4 so we can probably expect a bunch of Switch games based content right
Smash 4 is missing this Wii U masterpiece though :troll:

D

Deleted member

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

It should be noted that it's not a matter of the "Era", but rather games that happened (or will happen like with Lucas, Lucario, and Greninja) between the previous Smash's release and when the roster for the new game is "finalized" (which is always before the game actually starts development) are the main source of influence.
Moreso with Smash 4 and Brawl than Melee or 64, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
It should be noted that it's not a matter of the "Era", but rather games that happened (or will happen like with Lucas, Lucario, and Greninja) between the previous Smash's release and when the roster for the new game is "finalized" (which is always before the game actually starts development) are the main source of influence.
Moreso with Smash 4 and Brawl than Melee or 64, though.
I think Smash 5 will be a bit diferent in that regard, focusing more in the current console games (switch) than previous entries.

Of course, Pokemon Sun and Moon/ StarFox Zero might get a stage but i dont see much else from 3ds/wiiu.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
brand new sakurai quote from a work in progress translation from https://sourcegaming.info/2018/02/07/18755/
Sakurai: …Well for me, every time I always think, “This might be the last one.” If it’s a request from a client then I’ll consider it, but I do wonder, “Is it alright if I’m not the director?” It might be good to take on more of a consulting role.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

Exceptions:

The majority of the content being from the past gen is because when Smash starts development and decides on sources to draw from it tends to be at the cusp of the new gen, not because of some rule to exclude the very newest stuff.

So it depends when this game began development.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one that thinks Smash for Switch should have an Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Odyssey and BOTW stage?
BOTW: Maybe the fighters can fight on the top of the tower where Link uses as a check point. Eh?
This one I am least sure about, but it can work. It looks too small to be a fighter's stage.

Mario Odyssey: Maybe the fighters can fight on the Moon or that candy-themed stage. Many other options good though. I do not know to be honest, what are your thoughts?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Well deserving of a stage. I never played the game, so maybe they can fight in some detailed final scene area. I do not know to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
The majority of the content being from the past gen is because when Smash starts development and decides on sources to draw from it tends to be at the cusp of the new gen, not because of some rule to exclude the very newest stuff.

So it depends when this game began development.
True, Wii came out in december 2006 and brawl in jaunary 2008...there wasn't much wii stuff by that time, wii fit and mario galaxy released in just 1 month of diference to brawl tho.

There will be like 3/4 years of switch when smash 5 rolls around.

brand new sakurai quote from a work in progress translation from https://sourcegaming.info/2018/02/07/18755/
Sakurai: …Well for me, every time I always think, “This might be the last one.” If it’s a request from a client then I’ll consider it, but I do wonder, “Is it alright if I’m not the director?” It might be good to take on more of a consulting role.
Does this mean 5 might not even started dev yet?

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
True, Wii came out in december 2006 and brawl in jaunary 2008...there wasn't much wii stuff by that time, wii fit and mario galaxy released in just 1 month of diference to brawl tho.

There will be like 3/4 years of switch when smash 5 rolls around.

Does this mean 5 might not even started dev yet?
dunno, that could be the case, we'll have to see the full translation whenever they release it to see if they improve it

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mario Odyssey: Maybe the fighters can fight on the Moon or that candy-themed stage. Many other options good though. I do not know to be honest, what are your thoughts?
I think the best stage would be New Donk City which has different level gimmicks depending on the time of day (either as different versions of the stage or an Animal Crossing real-time deal)
  • Daytime: Hazards are taxis diving through the sage and switches that make platforms appear
  • Nighttime: Hazards are Sherms shooting from the background or those horrible bug things flying about
  • Festival Time: Hazards are Donkey Kong Sprites come to life. Mayor Pauline performs in background.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So many things felt wrong to have at the start. Specifically characters that are either clones or alternate versions of characters like Toon Link.
Apparently, people just don't want to take the time to unlock stuff anymore. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has every character (except Gold Mario) available right off the bat, but you do still have to unlock the vehicle parts.

D

Deleted member

Wii Fit and Galaxy came out way too late to have any sort of factor for Brawl.

The roster had been "finalized" by July 2005.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
On one hand, unlocking stuff can be fun. On the other one, going to your friend's house, booting up Smash and then seeing that he has unlocked none of the hidden characters while he says "Ah yeah, I haven't played in ages" can be a bit infuriating.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
On one hand, unlocking stuff can be fun. On the other one, going to your friend's house, booting up Smash and then seeing that he has unlocked none of the hidden characters while he says "Ah yeah, I haven't played in ages" can be a bit infuriating.
It's not just a Smash Bros. problem either. If you've unlocked everything in Mario Kart 8, but your friend has not, then it can be rather upsetting to know that you're not able to use the characters or parts that your friend has yet to unlock.

D

Deleted member

It's a non-issue if none of your mains are unlockable. :^)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Super Mario
  • New Donk City
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 (Shifting stage like Pokemon Stadium 2)
  • Bowser Land (Super Mario 3D World)
  • Dr. Mario
The Legend of Zelda
  • Lost Woods
  • Windfall Island
Kirby
  • Dreamland
  • Planet Robobot
Star Fox
  • Corneria
  • Titania
Mother/Earthbound