• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd prefer Ganondorf's moveset not go away and just passed on to Black Shadow but people really like to shut that idea down ****ing fast.
And for good reasons. It's a terrible idea that shoehorns a moveset in. Black Shadow is actually a very fast character with some power(as his vehicle suggests. Just like Falcon is pretty identical to his own vehicle). He also uses magic a lot. He's closer to what Falcon is, not what Clonedorf is, of the two.

Ganondorf is all about being a murderous brutal person. It fits his personality perfectly. Black Shadow is sadistic, but he'd be more into torturous style moves than just being a heavy hitter. He's no Shao Kahn, which is more what Ganondorf plays like to a degree(bar the rush attacks and projectile).

There's nothing wrong with adding some magic to his moveset, with at least the Dead Man's Volley(or at least add that to regular Moblin Ganon if he ever appears. Ganondorf uses it less than Ganon, after all. It's just a trait many Zelda villains share).

I love clonedorf because I feel like I'm playing a character who has a moveset that perfectly fits their personality. Sure, I want buffs. But I don't want them to entirely change his playstyle that was established ages ago. It works. For that matter, no single character ever got so ridiculously changed to the point of never resembling their previous playstyle. Bowser comes closest to any major changes. Pit is pretty much the same, with slight differences. Mario getting FLUDD did hurt a lot, but 4 returned him back to his ideal combo-like self in the previous games. And so on. Nobody has ever gotten an extreme moveet overhaul, and it makes sense why. It only hurts fans of the character who actually have experience playing them. Sure, some adjustments are required for new entries. But that's normal with balance and updated gameplay/options.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Why does every Falcondorf fan justify him being a clone of Falcon through vague notions of "Power"? What's stopping him from both strong and actually playing like something more than a lazy Captain Falcon clone?
If Sonic was a clone of Fox, with no homing attack and no spinning ball moves, would that make sense just because he's "fast"?
What if Ryu was a clone of Little Mac just because they're both brawlers, and Ryu didn't have his Shoruken or Hakoken? That's fine since Ryu still punches anyway.
What if Zelda was a clone of Peach and didn't use any spells from the Zelda series whatsoever? Surely that shouldn't matter since she's still magical either way.
How about if Robin was a Marth clone? That should be fine since he still uses a sword.
See how ridiculous this all sounds?

D

Deleted member

As much as I'd love that angel in Smash, you're more than likely right. It's Wild Link, Wild Zelda, one of the Champions, Impa, or no one, unless a HD remake of another Zelda game comes out in the next year or so.

.....yeah, no. I don't see that being in Smash.
Assuming any form of Impa made the cut, it wouldn't be this one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

.....yeah, no. I don't see that being in Smash.
Assuming any form of Impa made the cut, it wouldn't be this one.
I'd rather see her SS or OOT form if we're going for console-based ones. Besides being two very popular iterations of her. Of course, my favorite is the Oracles version, but I'm aware her chances are pretty low.

D

Deleted member

And for good reasons. It's a terrible idea that shoehorns a moveset in. Black Shadow is actually a very fast character with some power(as his vehicle suggests. Just like Falcon is pretty identical to his own vehicle). He also uses magic a lot. He's closer to what Falcon is, not what Clonedorf is, of the two.

Ganondorf is all about being a murderous brutal person. It fits his personality perfectly. Black Shadow is sadistic, but he'd be more into torturous style moves than just being a heavy hitter. He's no Shao Kahn, which is more what Ganondorf plays like to a degree(bar the rush attacks and projectile).
This is where balance comes into play.
You say Black Shadow wouldn't fit the Falcondorf style because he's supposed to be "fast and powerful", however, him having that speed and raw power would make him broken. So for compensation, he would have to be slower. Ergo, where the Falcondorf style comes in, especially the Melee incarnation that didn't completely trade speed for power.

A good example of where balancing speed and power comes in would be Broly from DBZ.
In the films, Broly not only hit like a truck and shrugged off hits like they were nothing, but he was equally fast as well. He didn't have the same issue that Trunks did in his bulked up Super Saiyan form.
In the games however, Broly is typically a Mighty Glacier for balance. He hits hard, can take hits, but is slow.

And while yes, the Black Bull has impressive speed as well as power, bear in mind that Black Shadow is much more top-heavy than Falcon to where translating the machine's speed into the driver doesn't make sense. Falcon has the athletic build of a guy that can sprint fast and pull off quick spurts of movement at a given moment.
Black Shadow has the bulky build of a bodybuilder.

This is not someone I can picture moving as fast as Falcon. Rather, I see him hitting harder and slower, just like Ganondorf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is where balance comes into play.
You say Black Shadow wouldn't fit the Falcondorf style because he's supposed to be "fast and powerful", however, him having that speed and raw power would make him broken. So for compensation, he would have to be slower. Ergo, where the Falcondorf style comes in, especially the Melee incarnation that didn't completely trade speed for power.

A good example of where balancing speed and power comes in would be Broly from DBZ.
In the films, Broly not only hit like a truck and shrugged off hits like they were nothing, but he was equally fast as well. He didn't have the same issue that Trunks did in his bulked up Super Saiyan form.
In the games however, Broly is typically a Mighty Glacier for balance. He hits hard, can take hits, but is slow.

Yes, the Black Bull has impressive speed as well as power, but bear in mind that Black Shadow's is much more top-heavy than Falcon to where translating the machine's speed into the driver doesn't make sense. Falcon has the athletic build of a guy that can sprint fast and pull off quick spurts of movement at a given moment.
Black Shadow has the bulky build of a bodybuilder.

This is not someone I can picture moving as fast as Falcon. Rather, I see him hitting harder and slower, just like Ganondorf.
Black Shadow is way faster than Ganondorf either way. He's actually as fast as Falcon is, so only would be slightly slower at best, with maybe a little more power in return. And even then, he's a magic user, not a physical attacker. Ganondorf actually uses both magic and physical blows in canon(and eventually a sword starting in WW).

It just doesn't work. It's really more close to how Pikachu and Pichu are. Or even Pit and Dark Pit. Their differences aren't actually that much. Plus, again, Black Shadow actually uses magic. He doesn't make sense as a clone at this point. Falcondorf did at the time, and is at least fits his personality, so it makes a lot of sense it never changed. The issue still is Ganondorf's only projectile(which he doesn't even use much beyond one game, so I can see why TP Ganondorf doesn't use it, although realistically only Wizard's Foot sticks out a bit of his various moves) being a magical attack. Something like a ground pound-style magical aura move, that pushes enemies away, would be more accurate, if it wasn't just a OOT-only move. That's part of the issue. His Sword did show up, but only the TP version to some degree. He hasn't gotten a move he's learned in canon outside of WW and TP at best throughout Smash.

As for Black Shadow, it absolutely is a pointless shoehorn. Besides taking a moveset away from a character it fits extremely well, and the fact it would piss off people who have played as Falcondorf from the start(which is a good point in Sakurai's favor. Completely overhauling movsets is a good way to alienate fans), it's not hard to actually make another version of Ganon/dorf with magic and/or swords. Toon Ganondorf is just one example of a popular canon version that would work better. If they want to add another F-Zero character, it'd just be plain better to figure out a moveset using a character without shoehorning stuff in to please a minority of fans. F-Zero has a ton of potential characters with potential movesets. Falcondorf 2.0 is completely unneeded at this point. We already got enough Falcon clones anyway with the NPC's, as every game has had a Polygon(and upgraded) clone of Falcon, bar the Mii Fighters, although Mii Brawler is clearly based upon him to a hefty degree special moves-wise(which is ironic, considering the fighting teams had no special moves).

D

Deleted member

Black Shadow is way faster than Ganondorf either way. He's actually as fast as Falcon is, so only would be slightly slower at best, with maybe a little more power in return. And even then, he's a magic user, not a physical attacker. Ganondorf actually uses both magic and physical blows in canon(and eventually a sword starting in WW).
This is the only thing I really need to point out, but there is no indication that he's as fast as Falcon other than vehicle stats, which aren't exactly fair to attribute as I mentioned in my previous post.

Black Shadow's build makes moving at Falcon speeds completely unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is the only thing I really need to point out, but there is no indication that he's as fast as Falcon other than vehicle stats, which aren't exactly fair to attribute as I mentioned in my previous post.

Black Shadow's build makes moving at Falcon speeds completely unrealistic.
Just like Toon Ganondorf's speed does the same? He's rather fast and agile yet has a top-heavy build. I don't think we can say for sure that would work in games. Builds don't automatically indicate speed in fiction. Reality, sure, but Nintendo and various games shows that speed is more than just your body shape. I agree that he wouldn't be as fast as Falcon properly. But he wouldn't be slow either. Kind of like how Sonic and Falcon's speeds are. They're both fast, one is just overall faster. Obviously if Black Shadow had more power, he would need less speed to balance it out, but the difference shouldn't be that high.

That said, we know his profile indicates he's about voodoo and black magic. I'd rather focus on that for him. You are right, though, he hasn't really been a physical user in any canon source(unlike Ganondorf who fights physically in all 3 of his canon appearances), so just attributing it to his vehicle isn't the best of ideas. I agree to drop that idea, if you'll let me. Falcon was creating with Japanese Superheroes in mind, likely having some basis with Kamen Rider(the showboating, the special moves being a called out punch and kick...). I'd like to see a good Black Shadow moveset that emphasis his evil magic and not just be a glorified monk like Falcon is.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The only indication of real characterization we have for Black Shadow would be his appearance in the GX story mode and in that game everyone just acts like a ****in goof, including Falcon. Sega did not do a very good job characterwise in that game especially with Black Shadow. So in saying he can't be a heavy hitter it's mostly assumption. His appearance is meant to be intimidating and his clowny trickster self in GX does not fit the persona that he was in X or even the pre release ads for GX. Hell if we really want to go deep he was a straight asshole in the Anime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just like Toon Ganondorf's speed does the same? He's rather fast and agile yet has a top-heavy build. I don't think we can say for sure that would work in games. Builds don't automatically indicate speed in fiction. Reality, sure, but Nintendo and various games shows that speed is more than just your body shape. I agree that he wouldn't be as fast as Falcon properly. But he wouldn't be slow either. Kind of like how Sonic and Falcon's speeds are. They're both fast, one is just overall faster. Obviously if Black Shadow had more power, he would need less speed to balance it out, but the difference shouldn't be that high.

That said, we know his profile indicates he's about voodoo and black magic. I'd rather focus on that for him. You are right, though, he hasn't really been a physical user in any canon source(unlike Ganondorf who fights physically in all 3 of his canon appearances), so just attributing it to his vehicle isn't the best of ideas. I agree to drop that idea, if you'll let me. Falcon was creating with Japanese Superheroes in mind, likely having some basis with Kamen Rider(the showboating, the special moves being a called out punch and kick...). I'd like to see a good Black Shadow moveset that emphasis his evil magic and not just be a glorified monk like Falcon is.
Ganondorf is "top-heavy" due to the distinct artstyle direction of Wind Waker. The same game where almost everyone has tiny legs. That's not a really good comparison.

As for the vehicle, I said the stats shouldn't be applied.
However, like how Captain Falcon basically emulates the combat capabilities of the Blue Falcon, the same can be applied to Black Shadow.

Yes, Falcon has the Tokusatsu influence in his fighting style, but his Specials also have some connection to the F-Zero games themselves, much like Fox's mimic certain Arwing actions.

The infamous Falcon Punch? Somewhat similar to the Spin Attack, in that they are both attacks that halt your momentum and are hard to hit with, but can be lethal if contact is made.
The Raptor Boost? That's the Side Attack. Even emulates the "you ****ed up" nature of going off the track/edge with it.
Falcon Kick? That's Boosting in a nutshell.
Falcon Dive? A bit of a stretch, but that could reference the Jump Pads (the initial rise) and the Mine traps (exploding when making contact with a fighter/vehicle).

This is why Black Shadow being a derivative of Falcon in terms of a physical style fits overall.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganondorf is "top-heavy" due to the distinct artstyle direction of Wind Waker. The same game where almost everyone has tiny legs. That's not a really good comparison.

As for the vehicle, I said the stats shouldn't be applied.
However, like how Captain Falcon basically emulates the combat capabilities of the Blue Falcon, the same can be applied to Black Shadow.

Yes, Falcon has the Tokusatsu influence in his fighting style, but his Specials also have some connection to the F-Zero games themselves, much like Fox's mimic certain Arwing actions.

The infamous Falcon Punch? Somewhat similar to the Spin Attack, in that they are both attacks that halt your momentum and are hard to hit with, but can be lethal if contact is made.
The Raptor Boost? That's the Side Attack. Even emulates the "you ****ed up" nature of going off the track/edge with it.
Falcon Kick? That's Boosting in a nutshell.
Falcon Dive? A bit of a stretch, but that could reference the Jump Pads (the initial rise) and the Mine traps (exploding when making contact with a fighter/vehicle).

This is why Black Shadow being a derivative of Falcon in terms of a physical style fits overall.
I just feel Black Shadow not having his hefty magic from lore would be entirely unfitting.

I can at least feel like Ganondorf is just right because the personality and abilities fit who he is. The whole "sword and magic" thing wasn't nearly as rampant as people make it. Some changes, sure, I'd be fine with, but a super overhaul just sounds wrong to me.

I don't remember if Sakurai actually said that Falcon was based upon his vehicle's abilities. I can entirely see it as possible. It's not nearly as blatant as Fox's abilities, are, though). I'd ask Push if more information was given beyond the Tokusatsu influence among the interviews his site found to confirm that one.

Naokami414

Smash Rookie
NNID
AceMaximus414
I just feel Black Shadow not having his hefty magic from lore would be entirely unfitting.

I can at least feel like Ganondorf is just right because the personality and abilities fit who he is. The whole "sword and magic" thing wasn't nearly as rampant as people make it. Some changes, sure, I'd be fine with, but a super overhaul just sounds wrong to me.

I don't remember if Sakurai actually said that Falcon was based upon his vehicle's abilities. I can entirely see it as possible. It's not nearly as blatant as Fox's abilities, are, though). I'd ask Push if more information was given beyond the Tokusatsu influence among the interviews his site found to confirm that one.
There's a youtube video about his moveset inspiration actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ6Ke-HJ2cs

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'd prefer Ganondorf's moveset not go away and just passed on to Black Shadow but people really like to shut that idea down ****ing fast.

Honestly, the thing that rubs me the wrong way the most is when people claim that Ganondorf's moveset fits his character. No, not really. Sure he may be a heavy hitter but whichever way you swing the bat he's still a Falcon clone. Yeah, maybe being a slow heavy hitter is what he should be but the moveset that we have right now is not his moveset. It's Captain Falcon's. Just because there's a few different animations doesn't mean that he's not exactly what he is. A Falcon clone.

I know people love the moveset but pass that moveset on to someone who it would fit more. Even if it weren't Black Shadow there are plenty of other F-Zero characters that are more appropriate for the moveset compared to the main villain of the Legend of Zelda franchise. It just feels wrong for Ganondorf, the big bad of Zelda and one of Nintendo's most intimidating villains, to be relegated to the status of a Falcon semi-clone whom in turn is also speculated to have taken his moveset from one of the unnamed mannequin fighters from the beta of Smash - Dragon King: The Fighting Game. It's just not appropriate for such a good character.
Blood Falcon, for example, makes perfect sense to fight like an evil Falcon clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's only a handful of moves that don't really fit Ganondorf, yet they stick out like an eyesore.

Look at how many characters draw so much from the main game franchise, mostly newcomers of Smash 4. Then there's the likes of Ganondorf and Samus, who look extremely lame in comparison because they are characters who where included in earlier Smash games.

THAT'S my biggest gripe with Smash 4 honestly.

Ganondorf's moves that don't fit him; Neutral Air, his Smash attacks, Wizard's Foot, and I guess Up Tilt is just weird. Up Tilt acts extremely different from C.Falcon's Up Tilt anyway, should've been a unique move since Melee much like F Air is.

Warlock Punch fits if they just sort of merge Warlock Punch with Warlock Thrust. Hey a semi-projectile attack...

Down B could just be a sort of teleportation attack similar to Meta Knight's Down B.

Moves I think are perfect right now and I wouldn't want them changed anyway: Jab, F Air, D Air, Side B, F Tilt.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I love how an offhand refrence to Toon Zelda spiraled into full-on discussion about Zelda reps. Never change...

But anyway, Do you think the Superstar Saga remake effected any characters Getting/Staying in Smash? I know this'll sound nuts, but I think it did have small inportances.

1.It increases the odds of Fawful. Not like he's a character that's up there with K.Rool and Inkling in terms of discussion, but at this point he's appeared in 4 out of the 6 Games, making him the original character with the most appearances (Technically he shares this distinction with Starlow, but Fawful has fury moveset potential)

2. It destroyed whatever shards Geno had left of getting in. They cut his cameo.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I love how an offhand refrence to Toon Zelda spiraled into full-on discussion about Zelda reps. Never change...

But anyway, Do you think the Superstar Saga remake effected any characters Getting/Staying in Smash? I know this'll sound nuts, but I think it did have small inportances.

1.It increases the odds of Fawful. Not like he's a character that's up there with K.Rool and Inkling in terms of discussion, but at this point he's appeared in 4 out of the 6 Games, making him the original character with the most appearances (Technically he shares this distinction with Starlow, but Fawful has fury moveset potential)

2. It destroyed whatever shards Geno had left of getting in. They cut his cameo.
1. Meh
2. Geno has a chance by the virtue of Sakurai getting hard for his bloody arm cannon

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
First of all, saying that K. Rool is at the same level of likeliness as Inklings is a lie. Inklings are pretty much the most likely and obvious newcomer there could possibly be while K. Rool is a character who hasn't had a non-cameo appearance in over a decade, which is a long time, but not long enough to truly qualify as the typical "retro" addition and really, his only chances lie in fan demands. But that's beside the point of your argument for Fawfulm so I won't go further into this.

But anyway, Fawful... I don't think his chances are affected in any possible way. For some reason, characters exclusive to spin-offs have never really been considered in a Smash game. Dr. Mario is an exception, but the only reason he's even there is because of Melee's development and the decision to add clones to have as many characters as possible. Of course, this could change, but I doubt Fawful would be the character who does that change. He's great, but there are demands far more popular for spin-off Mario characters in Smash than Fawful, such as Waluigi or, well, Geno.

The lack of cameo doesn't change his chances in the slightest.

He still has the Mii costume in Smash 4 and he's still a very popular character as well. Not getting the cameo in the Superstar Saga remake didn't affect either of those two things. Not to mention Super Mario RPG also found its way in the SNES Classic, so the game overall has gotten a new wave of relevance recently.

But ultimately, even if Sakurai wants to please us and make him a character for Smash, it won't mean **** if Square Enix doesn't and vice versa.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
First of all, saying that K. Rool is at the same level of likeliness as Inklings is a lie. Inklings are pretty much the most likely and obvious newcomer there could possibly be while K. Rool is a character who hasn't had a non-cameo appearance in over a decade, which is a long time, but not long enough to truly qualify as the typical "retro" addition and really, his only chances lie in fan demands. But that's beside the point of your argument for Fawfulm so I won't go further into this.
I agree with you, I said discussed, not likely. Obviously Inklings blow K.Rool out of the water. I probably should've said "He isn't as likely as Inklings or the Ice Climbers, but..."

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I want both Fawful and Geno.

Really it depends what square makes for Nintendo after octopath traveler. Which looks awesome.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Alright, who would you personally want, and who would you most likely see make the jump out of;
Princess Daisy, Waluigi, Fawful or Geno?

- - - -

It's a hard tie for me between Geno & Waluigi to be honest.
Geno; I've wanted him since the hype of Brawl. Not even part of this community back then, but still my wants for him has been there, even if the odds where iffy. After playing the mod version of him, I really thought he would be cool to play in the official too. Luckily it's been hinted that Sakurai really cares for the character enough to make him into a mii costume.

Waluigi; Also wants, because he would be the best way to represent (IMO), also the match-up with Wario would be pure fanservice. Therefore he would be a cool choice to me as well.

Daisy would be an interesting take, she could be pull of some unique spin-off moves, but, at this point I'd be satisfying enough to me.

Fawful; Can't say too much about, since I've never personally played any of the games he was involved with. So I'm blank at this option. Though the design concept seems to be interesting, as seen how they did Bowser Jr.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Alright, who would you personally want, and who would you most likely see make the jump out of;

- - - -

Geno; I've wanted him since the hype of Brawl. Not even part of this community back then, but still my wants for him has been there, even if the odds where iffy. After playing the mod version of him, I really thought he would be cool to play in the official too. Luckily it's been hinted that Sakurai really cares for the character enough to make him into a mii costume.

Waluigi; Also wants, because he would be the best way to represent (IMO), also the match-up with Wario would be pure fanservice. Therefore he would be a cool choice to me as well.

Daisy would be an interesting take, she could be pull of some unique spin-off moves, but, at this point I'd be satisfying enough to me.

Fawful; Can't say too much about, since I've never personally played any of the games he was involved with. So I'm blank at this option. Though the design concept seems to be interesting, as seen how they did Bowser Jr.
I want all four....

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I want all four....
With how many Mario characters there already are, I would be very surprised if we got more than one Mario newcomer in the next game.

I mean, it already has more characters than any other franchise with 7, and that's before counting Yoshi, Wario or the Kongs, who are considered part of their own franchise in Smash but still part of the greater Mario universe. That number could also be much higher if one counts the Koopalings.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Geno's cameo wasn't all too important anyway. Geno is still sort of relevant because of the SNES Mini having SMRPG. And of course the Mii costume. Maybe Square just felt the cameo to be insignificant?

Also what you guys suspect will happen with the Fire Emblem cast next Smash?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Roy gets either cut or Luigified.
Corrin will probably get cut because the Fates hype has died down.
Lucina will probably get either cut or Luigified too.
Robin might stay due to how unique he is, but I can see him get cut if a FE newcomer is similar enough in gameplay.
Marth is a Smash mainstay at this point.
Ike? Might get cut, but I can see him stay due to how popular he is.

As for newcomers? Well, all I can see is the FE Switch protagonist... and maybe Lyn getting the Little Mac treatment.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lucina is definitely getting cut or regulated into a costume.
Roy will probably stay due to his popularity and he's kind of the 'Luigi Clone' of Fire Emblem now.
Ike's staying.
Robin's staying.
Marth's definitely staying.
The next one to go would probably be Corrin but I figure they'll stay as well.

No newcomers. I don't see a new character from Fire Emblem getting in without them being genuinely unique and totally unlike the rest.

This is all assuming it's a brand new game. They will all stay if it's a port.

Still not sure whether I prefer a port or a brand new game honestly.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd prefer Fawful the most: There are tons of Mario Spinoffs, and we need a character that represents one of them. Daisy/Waluigi are the most likely though.

I think the'll all stay (Save Lucina maybe), and adding the Switch Protaginist. Castle Seige and Arena Ferox will return to go with a new stage. Also, the default Corrin is changed to the female, because she seems way more popular (She's the default in Warriors)

Luminario

Smash Lord

- - - -

I'd say Daisy's the most likely to make the jump to playable out of all of those, simply thanks to being an easy Peach semi-clone, then Waluigi, then Geno, then Fawful.
Switch Geno with Waluigi in that list for who I'd personally want in that order.
Marth, Ike, and Robin are pretty secure in the roster, Corrin's slightly less secure but they're sorta unique so they might stay, Roy might be cut simply due to being added in as a semi-clone DLC but his popularity might save him, and Lucina will likely follow the same pattern as Smash 4 where she is a Marth alt unless there's time at the end.
I think Celica could out-prioritize Roy in the FE clone department simply out of relevancy, though I can't say there's much stopping them both being added besides FE over-exposure. If the new Smash come next year then I doubt we'd get the protagonist from the FE Switch game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Falcon won't leave Smash, I do not believe that would happen. Tho, a second F-Zero character, could happen, not too big of a chance, I guess... But it could, and I feel Samurai Goroh should get that part if any. Tho, I do see it as more likely if there will be a new F-Zero on the Switch... It would be about time.
Captain Falcon is a Smash icon. I agree with that. But as far as his series getting a second rep, definitely won't happen. Because at this point, Falcon doesn't need an associate anymore.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Captain Falcon is a Smash icon. I agree with that. But as far as his series getting a second rep, definitely won't happen. Because at this point, Falcon doesn't need an associate anymore.
It's not that he doesn't need an associate. It's that the F-Zero series has been dead for a very long time and lost relevance, so there's really no point in bringing a newcomer from it.

Only reason Falcon didn't get cut is because he's been more associated with Smash than F-Zero for a very long time. In a way, we could even argue that Smash Bros. made Falcon the person he is today. In other words, if he wasn't as popular and memetic as he is, I think there was a chance he might not have made it in Smash 4.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Marth, Ike, and Robin feel like the FE mainstays at this point to me. Lucina seems the most likely to get cut, and Roy and Corrin... I'm not certain about their cases. Roy has popularity but plays similarly to Marth, and Corrin plays very uniquely but might not have as much popularity. I don't think they'll both get cut, assuming either one gets cut in the first place.

As for Alm and Celica... I heard Echoes was good, but I haven't heard as much buzz about that game as, say, Awakening or Fates, so I'm somewhat doubtful we'd get either one as a newcomer. Pretty much the same case for FE Switch as far as we know that situation.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My guess is that we'll see no cuts and get 1 or 2 more characters, sounds insane but we did get :4corrin: as our only Nintendo newcomer during the DLC period when Fire Emblem already had 5 characters, I suspect Fire Emblem is either the development team's favorite franchise or Intelligent Systems has some sort of power over them, and because of that I expect nothing but favoritism for it. It doesn't even matter if it's not an rational decision, Mr. Sakurai himself thought they were pushing it with the number of Fire Emblem characters when considering Corrin, but they still did it anyway, so I personally see nothing getting in the way of Fire Emblem having 7 or 8 reps by next game except for maybe Lucina getting cut, but I personally think it's a lot more likely she gets Luigified instead.
Most likely in my opinion: Daisy>>>>Waluigi>Geno>>Fawful
How much I'd like them: Waluigi>>Fawful>Geno>>>Daisy

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
So... U-um, I wanted to ask something. I-it's not related to this discussion, b-but this thing I want to c-clarify is, how was the experience for w-watching Nintendo World Championship 2017?

I mean, at the s-start of the stream, there's Reggie who talked about something. I think he talked about a b-big top secret thingy (Even though I despised the last sentence he said. Something about s-secret in a lip...ew...)...

I'm trying to tell...the t-top secret thing may actually be the Smash for the switch. I don't know though...as he was interrupted before h-he said that word...

You think that h-he may be talking about the new Smash game for S-switch...? It's not that I want attention, it's just that...this thing is really bothering me...and I'm trying to ask your own o-opinion.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So... U-um, I wanted to ask something. I-it's not related to this discussion, b-but this thing I want to c-clarify is, how was the experience for w-watching Nintendo World Championship 2017?

I mean, at the s-start of the stream, there's Reggie who talked about something. I think he talked about a b-big top secret thingy (Even though I despised the last sentence he said. Something about s-secret in a lip...ew...)...

I'm trying to tell...the t-top secret thing may actually be the Smash for the switch. I don't know though...as he was interrupted before h-he said that word...

You think that h-he may be talking about the new Smash game for S-switch...? It's not that I want attention, it's just that...this thing is really bothering me...and I'm trying to ask your own o-opinion.
I'm betting he was just trolling and was referring to Prime 4 :p

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm guessing anyone with a unique moveset (so Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin) is safe. I believe Sakurai's said that he dislikes cutting unique characters to begin with, and unique characters rarely get cut from Smash - the only cases were due to licensing, certain gimmicks not being possible on the 3DS, and whatever the reason was for Mewtwo being cut. I could see Corrin's default being changed to the female version, since that one seems to be overwhelmingly popular in comparison to male Corrin.

I figure one of the clones will be cut, but I'm not sure who. Lucina is quite popular outside of the Smash fandom (to the point where Nintendo representatives said she had to be included in Fire Emblem Warriors), while Roy has popularity within Smash. If I had to guess, I'd say that Roy would go, and we'd get a new character to keep the FE characters at six. (ideally, other franchises like Zelda or Donkey Kong would get more characters to make the idea of six Fire Emblem characters less absurd)

He said something along the lines of "the game that everyone's trying to figure out by reading my lips" - it wasn't an actual announcement.

Also, you don't have to type like that. I understand talking like that, but consciously typing out a stutter seems forced.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
What do you guys on here think about an SNK character coming in? We do have a couple that can be considered.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
What do you guys on here think about an SNK character coming in? We do have a couple that can be considered.
Honestly, I do not believe it would happen at all. Tho there are some I could have seen as interesting;
Terry Bogard; Think he would have some really nice moves that could have worked.
Haohmaru or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown could also have been interesting. Tho, I do not believe that SNK would get any reps.

I think some of you guys are really sleeping on Lucina's chances.

Lucina is one of the biggest and most popular characters in the entire series. Her importance as one of the faces of Awakening (the franchise saver) as well as her lasting popularity, makes me think she is way more likely than some of you are putting her at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom