• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, MasterOfHyrule deleted those tweets because his female source apparently begged him to take them down, she was apparently almost busted for doing it. There were videos about it from his alt https://imgur.com/a/mNViJyY but he deleted both of them. He is no longer going to mention these "leaks". But still claims they are true.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

You ever find hope when all seems lost?

Hideki Kamiya (Wonderful 101/Bayonetta)
Daddy Sakurai (Kid Icarus/Some party game)
Shu Takumi (Ace Attorney/Ghost Trick)

Taken in 2016, when development likely started
Wonder Red and Phoenix Wright I believe in you boys

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

I would be pleased with either of those characters getting in!

And even if it’s not Smash-related, I'm hoping that Kirby announcement is something cool.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Good lord, I can only hope.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Gee. Sakurai hangs out with friends who are also game developers.

Who would have thought?! Shock. Awe.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Cloud gets the ax, Bayo probably stays.

Sonic's probably back, Ryu and Mega Man maybe... PAC MAN probably.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
actually my two nominees would be Phosphora or PYRRHON, but those three sound good too. i'd take anyone, that game had a bunch of great and unique characters who aren't palette swaps of other characters
I wanted phosphora too along with Viridi but dark Pit is fine, as long as they declone him a bit more. And pyrrhon would make a great assist.

Medusa remains the best choice
Have you played uprising? She’s definitely not as interesting as Viridi or Hades but I wouldn’t mind it

D

Deleted member

Since we're talking Kid Icarus: unpopular opinion but I'd rather have a completely decloned Dark Pit than most potential newcomers, Kid Icarus or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dear Sakurai,
please cut bayonetta and replace her with wonder red.
Amen
Dear MrReyes96,

Realize that cutting Bayonetta is cutting the only content from Wonderful 101 that is playable in Smash Brothers.

Thus you only hurt yourself.

Amen.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I'd say Hades, he easily has the most charisma out of the three.
Aaaaand we're almost at 1k pages on this thread.
How does everyone feel about that?
I agree but I would argue that makes him better as a boss or a guidence conversation. There’s no way he can be as charismatic as a playable character

Since we're talking Kid Icarus: unpopular opinion but I'd rather have a completely decloned Dark Pit than most potential newcomers, Kid Icarus or otherwise.
I agree, theres so much they can do.
My idea is giving him the weapons of viridi’s generals since he works for her now
Phosphera bow, arlon orbiters, cragalanche canon and also finally use his dark Pit staff.

Dear MrReyes96,

Realize that cutting Bayonetta is cutting the only content from Wonderful 101 that is playable in Smash Brothers.

Thus you only hurt yourself.

Amen.

Let’s meet somewhere in the middle

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
1000 pages after 3 years about a game with no information about it. Pretty much just thousands of posts worth of everyone thinking they have it all figured out despite the fact they had a massive egg on their face during Sm4sh's development.

Only on Smashboards. Quite the honor(?)

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
1000 pages after 3 years about a game with no information about it. Pretty much just thousands of posts worth of everyone thinking they have it all figured out despite the fact they had a massive egg on their face during Sm4sh's development.

Only on Smashboards. Quite the honor(?)
Nintendo hype is unmatched

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Honestly learning Bayo and Duck Hunt Dog are extremely likely to return is pretty massive.

It certainly makes the rest of the DLC more likely to return and shows that it’s not some revamped engine change that would have required massive cuts.
There's a lot of reasons to expect the cast of Wii U to return
  1. We're not jumping from a significant gap in console graphical capabilities, so there's no call to make the cast's models from scratch with the exception of characters who's designs have evolved.
  2. Next to no characters have evolved in design. The only characters that have changed from 2012-2016 are The Zelda, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing characters. Arguably Olimar as well.
  3. Development for this game likely started in 2016. It would make sense to use what was already created for Super Smash Bros for Wii U, especially if DLC characters were being made around the same time that this new game was being developed. There had to be plans for these characters to appear in the sequel that was being planned at the same time the character was being developed.
  4. The 3DS is still being supported and plans to continue support into 2019, which means that Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS is still being promoted and sold. Not having characters from the 3DS version is going to cause a divide in fans who will stick with the 3DS version they already own or buy it in favor of the Switch game because it has the characters they want.
  5. There is an entire line of Super Smash Bros Amiibo. Recent figures have been released as late as 2017.
  6. Remaking and re releasing every DLC character a second time or just not having them is a very bad strategy when so many games on Nintendo Switch promote that they come with all DLC from previous version of their game.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
maybe i'm a bit of a hypocrite - one of my complaints with the roster for sm4sh was that fire emblem was suddenly one of the games with the most characters, but if the same had happened to kid icarus i would have been over the moon. i'll admit a little bias but i think it's also the better variety it would have had. we'd have the goddess of the underworld with her detachable head, a hammy fire god working under the influence of some low-poly aliens, a lightning-quick wielder of thunder, the most adorable interpretation of mother nature ever attempted, and hell's very own Liberace... but instead we have a bunch of weeby sword boys

can we trade in robin, lucina, and corrin to get tiki? green hair, no sword, and sometimes a dragon? sounds good to me

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
maybe i'm a bit of a hypocrite - one of my complaints with the roster for sm4sh was that fire emblem was suddenly one of the games with the most characters, but if the same had happened to kid icarus i would have been over the moon. i'll admit a little bias but i think it's also the better variety it would have had. we'd have the goddess of the underworld with her detachable head, a hammy fire god working under the influence of some low-poly aliens, a lightning-quick wielder of thunder, the most adorable interpretation of mother nature ever attempted, and hell's very own Liberace... but instead we have a bunch of weeby sword boys

can we trade in robin, lucina, and corrin to get tiki? green hair, no sword, and sometimes a dragon? sounds good to me
I don’t mind fire emblem reps but I would love if the same thing happened with kid Icarus
Pit, Palutena, Viridi, Pittoo, Medusa, and Hades would be a dream

Basically we just need a new kid Icarus game

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I don't think it's a problem and I expect them all to return, but if there was a minimum of Fire Emblem characters, I would say it's necessary to have Marth, Celica, and Ike. But, Robin would be a hard cut to get away with because Awakening is such a popular game, and no reason to cut Lucina since she's just an extra.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don’t mind fire emblem reps but I would love if the same thing happened with kid Icarus
Pit, Palutena, Viridi, Pittoo, Medusa, and Hades would be a dream

Basically we just need a new kid Icarus game
I would kill for a new KI game.

That's why I'm honestly not thrilled Sakurai's continuing to do Smash. I think the man can do so much more, just look at how great Uprising was (controls were tricky, granted, but not unplayable like SF Zero). I feel he's tied to Smash and he could be doing a lot more to push other games/franchises forward.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I would kill for a new KI game.

That's why I'm honestly not thrilled Sakurai's continuing to do Smash. I think the man can do so much more, just look at how great Uprising was (controls were tricky, granted, but not unplayable like SF Zero). I feel he's tied to Smash and he could be doing a lot more to push other games/franchises forward.
Hopefully this is his last smash, at least for a while. I need more games like Uprising

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
There's a lot of reasons to expect the cast of Wii U to return
  1. We're not jumping from a significant gap in console graphical capabilities, so there's no call to make the cast's models from scratch with the exception of characters who's designs have evolved.
  2. Next to no characters have evolved in design. The only characters that have changed from 2012-2016 are The Zelda, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing characters. Arguably Olimar as well.
  3. Development for this game likely started in 2016. It would make sense to use what was already created for Super Smash Bros for Wii U, especially if DLC characters were being made around the same time that this new game was being developed. There had to be plans for these characters to appear in the sequel that was being planned at the same time the character was being developed.
  4. The 3DS is still being supported and plans to continue support into 2019, which means that Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS is still being promoted and sold. Not having characters from the 3DS version is going to cause a divide in fans who will stick with the 3DS version they already own or buy it in favor of the Switch game because it has the characters they want.
  5. There is an entire line of Super Smash Bros Amiibo. Recent figures have been released as late as 2017.
  6. Remaking and re releasing every DLC character a second time or just not having them is a very bad strategy when so many games on Nintendo Switch promote that they come with all DLC from previous version of their game.
What you've said here certainly makes a lot of sense, although there are a couple of points that I'd like to respond to.

In regards to point 2, I think it is definitely worth including Samus as a character who's design has changed even though that was in a game released in 2017. I still feel that this would fall within the timeframe for Smash development and would be a model that should be included.

The other point is about the 3DS game. I do want to preface this by saying that I expect most characters from the WiiU game to return. But, I don't think the 3DS game will have any baring on this game. We've moved onto a new console with a new game, just like moving from Brawl to WiiU. People weren't worrying about characters being cut from Brawl into WiiU causing more people to buy Wiis or copies of Brawl, so I don't really see why it would be a problem here (plus the 3DS version certainly isn't the most user friendly version of Smash control wise). Cuts occurring in this game are going to be just as upsetting for people as any other Smash game, and sure some people may skip this game if their favourite character gets cut, but unless it is someone like Mario, Pikachu or Link I doubt masses of people will skip the new game if they enjoy Smash.

Edit: Gosh darn spelling mistakes :psycho:

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I don't know if this is old news or not, but I think the next announcement for Smash is already confirmed.
https://e3.nintendo.com/

Video presentation*
June 12, 9:00 am PT | 12:00 pm ET
Get a look at Nintendo Switch games for 2018, including Super Smash Bros.™
Afterwards, stay right here for livestreaming events throughout E3.

*Name not final
Also, it seems like the video will be shown earlier in the day and then the tournament will happen, no one is going in "blind".

Super Smash Bros.
Invitational 2018

Watch players smash their way to the top.
Join the party as players from around the world battle in this invitational tournament for bragging rights, for fun, and for glory on Nintendo Switch!

Starts right after the Splatoon 2 World Championship finals on June 12.
A "Video Presentation"? Sound just like a long and entertaining Smash Direct to me. Sakurai has stated that he didn't like the constant stream of reveals for Smash 4, so we might get much more stuff than usual. Especially with the game releasing < 6 months after E3.

Another great thing is that E3 starts on June 12th, so Nintendo will be basically opening with Smash. I'm glad we don't have to squirm in our seats and be baited by every video throughout all of the days.

I think this confirms we won't be getting anything until E3, but at least we already know when the reveal is. Up to the very hour even.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't think it's a problem and I expect them all to return, but if there was a minimum of Fire Emblem characters, I would say it's necessary to have Marth, Celica, and Ike. But, Robin would be a hard cut to get away with because Awakening is such a popular game, and no reason to cut Lucina since she's just an extra.
Mah boi Roy MUST be in the next Smash

...or there's going to be some flames rising the size of a Smash symbol

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Weyhey! Looks like Smash will be front and centre for E3 this year. From the sound of it it'll be the core of the presentation.

This would make sense with MoH's E3 floorpan leak.

Edit: :4greninja:'d by Roberk Roberk
Wow, we must have found the same thing and posted it at the same time lol.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Okay, about the E3 floor leak thing and the Monado. Xenoblade just isn't as popular as the other franchises, and Shulk returning is not as big a deal compared to Bayonetta (in general, personally...well, my username speaks for itself). It's just weird.
Maybe the guy's source confused the Monado and the Aegis sword? They're both red JRPG shiny swords, I can see many people confusing them. I would LOVE seeing the Monado among the big guys, anyway, so if the leak's true it's a win-win for me.

And about Rex being "too late," we really don't know how much time Sakurai and the team needed this time around, and he is kinda known for going back on stuff. Yeah, he said the roster is decided at the beginning of the development cycle, and that Villager can't be in the game, and that Pac-Man was too far-fetched when Shigeru Miyamoto suggested him. Plus, there's always Nintendo's influence on development.
Everyone makes up rules and puts limits during speculation then act surprised when Sakurai does something different. There is no solid reason stopping him from adding Rex mid-development. The same goes for Fire Emblem characters. Who knows, maybe a big gun at Nintendo decided that FE Heroes is too good of a money printing machine, or Sakurai saw the success it had (generating 5 times more money than Mario Run is a big deal, gacha or not), and decided that another character or two wouldn't hurt. As a certain character once said, "anything can change."

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mainly because people banked too hard on following patterns that weren't there. Chrom replacing Ike, Zoroark replacing Lucario, getting a new Star Fox character, that type of thing. Also basing choices from comments when Brawl was in development, like a notable one being "characters ill fit for fighting", which is why people weren't considering characters like Villager, Miis, or Wii Fit Trainer being possible.

Aside from those, it was mainly the bias card. King K. Rool and Ridley are popular so they were guaranteed to get in. Meanwhile anything else will receive criticisms of all types. Naturally this heavily backfired when the final roster was revealed and people were way off.

I get the impression that history will repeat itself with the new Smash game, likewise angering the people that were "tricked" by false leads that never were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom