• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
What's this E3 floor plan leak you are all talking about?
Master of Hyrule Leak a couple of pages back, claims to know the E3 floor plan and was right last E3 as well. Says there will be props to represent smash characters but only confirmed vets so far. It will also apparently be half pokemon which is cool.

I know I'm a part of the vocal minority, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Bayo being a Nintendo character. I'm glad that the company is trying to branch out to the more mature audiences, but Bayo seems a little extreme. I mean, the lady is essentially a smexy stripper who fights bloody demonic creatures with realistic handguns. Not exactly what first comes to mind when I think of "The World of Nintendo".
I totally get what your'e saying in the sense of thinking Mario, Kirby, and Pikachu (even Link and FE characters are pretty tame). But even though it hasn't been shown in a truly mature matter, Metroid is a pretty gritty series. And while Bayo is mature in a sense it's super silly unlike Metroid. I think it fits more than people think, it's not like God of War or Grand Theft Auto. I'll be shocked if Nintendo adopt those as Nintendo all-stars XD.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Shadow Dragon got robbed. That was my biggest complaint about the roster. That and Celica being a sword-based clone. Lots of other great things about the game, at least.

I'd argue Sonic is fairly easy to represent using his shoes.
or a ring or a chaos emerald or something

I know I'm a part of the vocal minority, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Bayo being a Nintendo character. I'm glad that the company is trying to branch out to the more mature audiences, but Bayo seems a little extreme. I mean, the lady is essentially a smexy stripper who fights bloody demonic creatures with realistic handguns. Not exactly what first comes to mind when I think of "The World of Nintendo".

Believe it or not, NA and EU sales are what saved FEW.

Surprisingly, Japan is the region where FEW struggled the most, despite the game releasing in September rather than October. Sales overseas were pretty solid, even with the unfortunate timing of Odyssey.
She doesn't fit with nintendo but I like that, there's nothing quite like bayonetta in their repertoire of franchises. Yeah they have grittier series like metroid and fire emblem and stuff but nothing like bayonetta that combines realism with over the top goofiness and fun.

edit: Imadethistoseealeak just said pretty much exactly what I did about bayo lmaoooo

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Believe it or not, NA and EU sales are what saved FEW.

Surprisingly, Japan is the region where FEW struggled the most, despite the game releasing in September rather than October. Sales overseas were pretty solid, even with the unfortunate timing of Odyssey.
Probably because Japan is more affluent with the non FatesAwakening characters and wanted those repped.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I feel really bad for ARMs. I enjoy it but I find it to have very little replayability/depth compared to other fighters, and I'm not sure what they could really have done about that post-launch honestly.

I also have to admit, I disliked the loadout system. Being able to choose your gloves pre-game is cool, but having to unlock tons and tons and being able to switch them between every character makes many characters feel samey and less interesting than if they had their own unique set of gloves. Maybe that only makes sense to me? I honestly just prefer arena games over loadout 99% of the time anyways so I'm possibly a bit biased.

I do genuinely enjoy the characters and world, though, so I hope we do get to see Spring Man at least in the form of DLC if he missed the punch for the base roster.

FEW's sales suffering from releasing a week before Odyssey feels like Radiant Dawn releasing the same week as Super Mario Galaxy. Hopefully they learn their lesson for FE16 with Smash and Pokemon on the horizon.
I would say it also has to do a lot with pre-Awakening games not even getting a fourth of the base roster. The original game in the series got only 3 characters...? From what I've seen there's a pretty vocal part of that fanbase that dislikes Fates (and too a lesser extent a group that dislikes Awakening as well.)

Only one GBA character, no Ike, Hector, or Roy, what the heck were they thinking??? I don't even really like Fire Emblem and it bugs me.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Tatsumi Kimishima will be stepping down as Nintendo President and replaced by Shuntaro Furukawa.

Link: https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/...s-we-will-develop-the-company-to-its-fullest/

Does this change something about the Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch?
I personally don't think so.

However with the rumor that Pokemon will be a main feature at E3, when it almost never is, is interesting considering Shuntaro Furukawa is from Marketing and was once Pokemon Company Director (Someone please correct me if that is wrong). I'm wondering how much he's had a say a;ready and if he's one of the reasons Pokemon might change it's marketing and have a huge reveal at E3.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
It can only get better with a new president.

Fingers crossed this isn't a port.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's a question for RTC rating purposes, if in the near future Ashley from WarioWare is majorly promoted, starting with advertising for WarioWare Gold coming to 3DS and appearing in Mario spinoffs, can you see Ashley becoming a playable character? Lately, I have been seeing slightly more promotion for Ashley recently in Japan, and it gave me a bit of thought. I do not if promotion would apply to the WarioWare series like with Rosalina with Mario, but it is worth bringing up. This is all hypothetical of course, and I may be thinking too far ahead in the future. :p

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's a question for RTC rating purposes, if in the near future Ashley from WarioWare is majorly promoted, starting with advertising for WarioWare Gold coming to 3DS and appearing in Mario spinoffs, can you see Ashley becoming a playable character? Lately, I have been seeing slightly more promotion for Ashley recently in Japan, and it gave me a bit of thought. I do not if promotion would apply to the WarioWare series like with Rosalina with Mario, but it is worth bringing up. This is all hypothetical of course, and I may be thinking too far ahead in the future. :p
You know I never considered a Warioware character being considered for a Mario Spin Off, and now I'm really hoping for it! I'd much rather a character like Ashley be in Aces than another generic enemy like Spike :rolleyes:.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think so.

However with the rumor that Pokemon will be a main feature at E3, when it almost never is, is interesting considering Shuntaro Furukawa is from Marketing and was once Pokemon Company Director (Someone please correct me if that is wrong). I'm wondering how much he's had a say a;ready and if he's one of the reasons Pokemon might change it's marketing and have a huge reveal at E3.
Perhaps Shuntaro will convince Sakurai to add more Pokemons in the next Smash Bros for Switch.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You know I never considered a Warioware character being considered for a Mario Spin Off, and now I'm really hoping for it! I'd much rather a character like Ashley be in Aces than another generic enemy like Spike :rolleyes:.
Camelot needs to think more creatively about their choices in their future Mario spinoffs. Chain Chomp is a good start, but the Mario selection in spinoff games in general feel really limited.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is it possible that Sakurai isn't giving us news because he wants to hit us with ''AND EVERYONE IS RETURNING!" sort of surprise at E3? That'd effectively get all the veterans out of the way and leave room for hyping up the release with newcomers?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I feel really bad for ARMs. I enjoy it but I find it to have very little replayability/depth compared to other fighters, and I'm not sure what they could really have done about that post-launch honestly.

I also have to admit, I disliked the loadout system. Being able to choose your gloves pre-game is cool, but having to unlock tons and tons and being able to switch them between every character makes many characters feel samey and less interesting than if they had their own unique set of gloves. Maybe that only makes sense to me? I honestly just prefer arena games over loadout 99% of the time anyways so I'm possibly a bit biased.

I do genuinely enjoy the characters and world, though, so I hope we do get to see Spring Man at least in the form of DLC if he missed the punch for the base roster.

I would say it also has to do a lot with pre-Awakening games not even getting a fourth of the base roster. The original game in the series got only 3 characters...? From what I've seen there's a pretty vocal part of that fanbase that dislikes Fates (and too a lesser extent a group that dislikes Awakening as well.)

Only one GBA character, no Ike, Hector, or Roy, what the heck were they thinking??? I don't even really like Fire Emblem and it bugs me.
I wish more people got into ARMS, I have 50 hours into it, ranked mode and party crash are so fun and the characters are so well designed

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Is it possible that Sakurai isn't giving us news because he wants to hit us with ''AND EVERYONE IS RETURNING!" sort of surprise at E3? That'd effectively get all the veterans out of the way and leave room for hyping up the release with newcomers?
That would make sense tbh, especially since we have a significantly shorter wait between reveal and release this time around, cramming all those veteran reveals and building hype with newcomers into that time frame isn't really feasible anyway.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It can only get better with a new president.

Fingers crossed this isn't a port.
Would a port really be that bad though? It's already confirmed that they're adding new characters. I'd be pretty happy with a port that contained a bunch of new characters/stages

osby

Smash Obsessed
Would a port really be that bad though? It's already confirmed that they're adding new characters. I'd be pretty happy with a port that contained a bunch of new characters/stages
I guess there is way too much intentional hype around it to be "just a port".

Also I just noticed but every Smash game has its selling point after 64.

Melee has doubled the playable characters from the first game.
Brawl has guest characters and later, story mode.
For has released in two different consoles with amiibo.

I wonder what kinda approach they will follow this time, apart from "leave them suffer until E3".

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Here's how I see it. Every Smash game has introduced new mechanics, new characters, move changes, new and improved 1 player modes, and so on. As long as Smash for switch has all these things plus more (such as improved online play), I don't care if it's a "port" or not.

Edit: I fixed a grammar error. Finally.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wonder if it'd truly be "all" of them though, I'm wondering if there'll be cuts as well on some characters as well. Would be sweet if the entire roster came back all intact from Smash 4 though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wonder if it'd truly be "all" of them though, I'm wondering if there'll be cuts as well on some characters as well. Would be sweet if the entire roster came back all intact from Smash 4 though.
The reason for the cuts in previous games was insuffiicient development time. Since they don't develop two games at a time (because Subspace Emissary was pretty much a game itself), I don't think there would be much reason for new content to prevent veterans showing up.

Let's hope I won't be wrong.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I guess there is way too much intentional hype around it to be "just a port".

Also I just noticed but every Smash game has its selling point after 64.

Melee has doubled the playable characters from the first game.
Brawl has guest characters and later, story mode.
For has released in two different consoles with amiibo.

I wonder what kinda approach they will follow this time, apart from "leave them suffer until E3".
Smash 5 will probably take elements from Pokemon go, you have to fight your opponents in real life to damage them in the game. What an interesting departure that would be. Truly groundbreaking.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nobody said you needed to tie anything to the Bonuses other than "for fun". Since that's what made them great in the first two games. No Damage can go away and stay away, anyway.
Still, it's probably not worth the hassle, just to get a single trophy that can't be acquired by any other means.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smash 5 will probably take elements from Pokemon go, you have to fight your opponents in real life to damage them in the game. What an interesting departure that would be. Truly groundbreaking.
Settle it, in real life!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I look forward to lighting my friend on fire every time I use Mario's F-Smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You know what I am in the mood for, I want to see an in-depth analysis on why negotiating Konami characters would not be as big of an issue as most people initially think. I want to try to be more open towards Konami, but Sakurai's potentially negative perspective towards the company prevents me from making me think of the possibility. I gave it my all with that Sora analysis with confronting every angle of Disney, now I would like to see someone tackle Konami in-depth.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Ok here's a funny item idea! Kamaro's mask!

It is a special item that must be thrown at opponents! Once thrown if it lands on an opponent they will start doing Kamaro's dance for a few seconds allowing for combos! Some characters will have to have different animations due to their body shape or animation style (for example: Kirby, Mr. G&W and Pikachu)!
You know this sounds pretty interesting the more I look at it

and Roy should have a Leif alt.

Leif don't have Fire attacks, so there's no way that's going to work with Roy.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Camelot needs to think more creatively about their choices in their future Mario spinoffs. Chain Chomp is a good start, but the Mario selection in spinoff games in general feel really limited.
To be completely fair to Camelot (and indeed any of the people making a Mario spin-off), there's only so much you can do with so many characters that are near mandatory at this point. For general spinoffs, the following are definitely as such:

1 - Mario
2 - Luigi
3 - Yoshi
4 - Peach
5 - Bowser
6 - Donkey Kong
7 - Wario
8 - Toad

And the following characters might as well, be because they'd cause a big stir if they suddenly didn't appear:

9 - Waluigi
10 - Daisy
11 - Rosalina
12 - Toadette
13 - Diddy Kong
14 - Bowser Jr
15 - Koopa Troopa

Moreover, Camelot have already made another character hugely popular within this spinoff:

16 - Boo

That's already a very large chunk of the roster accounted for - and at least one of their new characters (Chain Chomp) is an instant hit, even if it's in large part because of the sheer absurdity of it.

There are some very definite additions I have long craved (the use of more DK characters than just DK and Diddy, Kamek, giving some love to RPG spinoffs) but honestly I think the current roster as it is looks pretty good. It's not nearly as bad as Mario Kart 8, which despite having more than double the number of characters I just listed bloated it completely with metal and baby versions of characters as well as all 7 koopalings, whilst removing some of the genuinely important characters, like Diddy and Jr.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
We doing item ideas? How about a potted Pirana Plant for an item? It starts with a Pirana Pant pot spawning on the field, but you have to throw it to work. Once thrown, the Pirana Plant will pop out and bite anyone in sight including other items.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
We doing item ideas? How about a potted Pirana Plant for an item? It starts with a Pirana Pant pot spawning on the field, but you have to throw it to work. Once thrown, the Pirana Plant will pop out and bite anyone in sight including other items.
Make it part of Waluigi's moveset and we'll have the most broken move ever

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please link me to the "Master of Hyrule" / E3 booth leak? I still can't find it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Master Hand wearing the infinity gauntlet

Discuss
"When this is over, half the roster will remain. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be."
Breidablik as a Fire Emblem Assist Trophy/Poké Ball equivalent.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
(That and shes easier to represent than Sonic or Pac Man).
I can give you Pac-man, but Sonic? Come on- His own Sonic Team logo face, Shoes, rings, chaos Emerald, Checkpoint sign, Star bumpers pattern and such.

I like Bayonetta, but let's not start saying that She's easier to represent than freaking Sonic now, shall we?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I can give you Pac-man, but Sonic? Come on- His own Sonic Team logo face, Shoes, rings, chaos Emerald, Checkpoint sign, Star bumpers pattern and such.

I like Bayonetta, but let's not start saying that She's easier to represent than freaking Sonic now, shall we?
I was more going off weapons like the other characters have, buttttttt Duck Hunt does have his can apparently so touche.

Well then either Sonic's shoes/whatever are among the props or Nintendo is stealing Bayo from Sega/Platinum.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

Maybe they went with Bayonetta because they consider her one of their own now? They are funding her series now after all. The same cannot be said with any other Smash 3rd party i'd wager.

Not a fact, though. I am not Nintendo so I can only make suppositions xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom