• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does anyone know the lyrics for the new
F-ZERO Medley yet?
Some weird Engrish there.
Not official but two interpretations posted in the comments for the video.
F-ZERO! He steps right out on the dangerous track, Stunning skyscrapers ready to bury his path, Endless eyes from the seeing gazers, Silent, impressive, going as fast as a valiant horse! For the first to win the crimson track, The Silent city never fades a way into darkness, Cunning to take out the run kinetic energy, Sonic booms right through the rest of the scenery, Flashing light, worlds asleep, From the left to the right let me first fighting you (pronounced yo?), Who lets you do the fighting that we need to burst right through the, Go toward the promise to rock and roll! The king’s majesty brokering the silk city, Dwarf enemies ride the wind with no pity, Once more the sea spread itself through before us, Cowering the monsters the heavens up above, The rider hop on the burning horizon, The monsters of F-zero warp into real, Fine don’t let it but don’t let them up at the speed of sound, Passing on the power far the father we go Granted by the gods F-ZERO
He steps right out on the dangerous track, Stunning skyscrapers lining the perilous path, Endless, flies above the seas and deserts, Silent, impressive, going as fast as a valiant horse! For the first to win the queen's distress, Silent city that fades away into darkness, Certain to taste fevered kinetic energy, Sonic booms rip through the rest of the scenery, Flashing light, worlds asleep, From the left to the right let me first fighting you (pronounced yo?), Who lets you do the fighting that we need to burst right through the, Go toward the promise to rock and roll! The king’s majesty brokering (Possibly Broken In) the silk city, Dwarfing enemies ride the wind with no pity, Once more the sea spreads itself before us, Cowering the monsters, the heavens up above, The rider upon the burning horizon, The monsters of F-zero warp into real, Fight to the ending, but don’t let up at the speed of sound, Passing on the power, grasping at the power Granted by the gods F-ZERO

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The monsters of F-zero warp into real, Fight to the ending, but don’t let up at the speed of sound, Passing on the power, grasping at the power Granted by the gods F-ZERO
1514255230093.png

Monsters? Gods?

Come on I had to, I figured everyone else was gonna reference Guile.
and it was the correct one for a reason

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can maybe get the Gods part because of GX but I don't got a clue what monsters is referring to.

Unless Daytona USA man is racist against aliens, the closest I can think of is Black Shadow.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not official but two interpretations posted in the comments for the video.
F-ZERO! He steps right out on the dangerous track, Stunning skyscrapers ready to bury his path, Endless eyes from the seeing gazers, Silent, impressive, going as fast as a valiant horse! For the first to win the crimson track, The Silent city never fades a way into darkness, Cunning to take out the run kinetic energy, Sonic booms right through the rest of the scenery, Flashing light, worlds asleep, From the left to the right let me first fighting you (pronounced yo?), Who lets you do the fighting that we need to burst right through the, Go toward the promise to rock and roll! The king’s majesty brokering the silk city, Dwarf enemies ride the wind with no pity, Once more the sea spread itself through before us, Cowering the monsters the heavens up above, The rider hop on the burning horizon, The monsters of F-zero warp into real, Fine don’t let it but don’t let them up at the speed of sound, Passing on the power far the father we go Granted by the gods F-ZERO
He steps right out on the dangerous track, Stunning skyscrapers lining the perilous path, Endless, flies above the seas and deserts, Silent, impressive, going as fast as a valiant horse! For the first to win the queen's distress, Silent city that fades away into darkness, Certain to taste fevered kinetic energy, Sonic booms rip through the rest of the scenery, Flashing light, worlds asleep, From the left to the right let me first fighting you (pronounced yo?), Who lets you do the fighting that we need to burst right through the, Go toward the promise to rock and roll! The king’s majesty brokering (Possibly Broken In) the silk city, Dwarfing enemies ride the wind with no pity, Once more the sea spreads itself before us, Cowering the monsters, the heavens up above, The rider upon the burning horizon, The monsters of F-zero warp into real, Fight to the ending, but don’t let up at the speed of sound, Passing on the power, grasping at the power Granted by the gods F-ZERO
This is Let's Fighting Love tier Engrish at times.

D

Deleted member

Elise for Smash 6
6BBE0DFF-02DB-4BC5-BD9D-41156B6636B7.jpeg

Her Final Smash is crying, releasing Iblis.

Her victory animation is kissing a dead Sonic back to life.
873209F8-5D90-45AF-8537-C22BB47AF102.jpeg

hey i leveled up every spirit in the game to 99 and made this

https://pastebin.com/qe0UPaPN

now you all can argue about how strong your favorite characters are
Shovel Knight - Ace - 8933
Shantae - Ace - 8413

This ain’t it chief
DE270CC4-B8D9-4348-8B28-54006F8009EC.png

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Dan Hibiki is less powerful than the literal ten-year-old child versions of Alm and Celica who, at that point, have no combat training?
I think I know the reason why....

B44848FF-62F9-4D1F-A436-BB8C7FB9D6C4.jpeg

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
what is 4th party characters?
Characters who aren't from video game franchises so this includes someone like Goku.
Outside of Smash Speculation, a nonsense word that literally describes something that can't exist if you think about it.
Inside Smash Speculation, a colloquialism to describe a character who didn't originate in a video game.
That is a nice, simple answer, but it doesn't establish what "fourth-party" actually means. First, second, third, and fourth party are always defined with respect to a particular property owner, like, say, Nintendo. Speaking in terms of Nintendo...
  1. First-party franchises are franchises directly owned by Nintendo itself, such as Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Splatoon. Nintendo has free reign to use these however it sees fit.
  2. Second-party franchises are franchises that Nintendo does not own directly, but does have partial ownership of; they are either owned by direct subsidiaries of Nintendo or Nintendo has co-ownership of them in a fashion where no extensive negotiations are needed for their use (unlike, say, Geno, who Nintendo has partial ownership of, but would still need to go through extensive negotiations with Square Enix to actually use (and Square Enix would likewise need to negotiate with Nintendo to use Geno... if you think this sounds like a headache for both parties, you'd be correct)). Examples include Pokémon (owned by Game Freak/The Pokémon Company International), Golden Sun (owned by Camelot), and Kirby (owned by HAL Laboratories). Though, funnily enough, Game Freak and Camelot aren’t entirely full subsidiaries of Nintendo, as they both have some franchises which they share ownership of with Sega instead (like Pulseman for Game Freak and Shining Force for Camelot). Basically, the difference between second-party and third-party is whether or not the parent company can be considered to be part of Nintendo. Nintendo can use second-party franchises pretty much whenever it likes, but does have to follow some guidelines in how it does so (the Pokémon Company, for instance, can be fairly tight-wadded in regards to how Pokémon is handled, and Nintendo could actually get in trouble if it were to "mishandle" the property). Also, Rareware franchises were considered second-party to Nintendo before the Microsoft buyout; they are now second-party to Microsoft and third-party to Nintendo.
  3. Third-party franchises are franchises that Nintendo does not own at all; they are owned by independent companies in the video game industry, and a third-party franchise having representation on Nintendo property requires some sort of agreement to be made between Nintendo and the franchise's parent company. Third-party franchises include Sonic the Hedgehog (owned by Sega), Mega Man (owned by Capcom), Castlevania (owned by Konami), and Final Fantasy (owned by Square Enix); Sony and Microsoft franchises such as God of War, Little Big Planet, Halo, and Banjo-Kazooie are also third-party for Nintendo, but given that they have their own first-party or second-party systems to be featured on, they aren't likely to be seen on Nintendo systems anytime soon. Kingdom Hearts is technically third-party as well, despite being owned by Disney (not Square Enix as a lot seem to think), as while Disney is not primarily a video game company, Kingdom Hearts itself is primarily a video game franchise. Indie franchises, such as Shantae (WayForward), Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games), and Cave Story (Nicalis), are also third-party to Nintendo.
  4. Fourth-party franchises are not owned by Nintendo and are not primarily video game properties; they may have tie-in video game products, but video games will never be the primary focus of fourth-party franchises. Since Smash is meant to be about video games first and foremost, with a focus on Nintendo, fourth-party franchises really have no business with it. Fourth-party franchises include Dragon Ball (Toei), Shrek (Dreamworks), SpongeBob (Nickelodeon), and the Disney Animated Canon (take a wild guess).

Whether a character is first-party, second-party, third-party, or fourth-party is determined by the ownership of the franchise the character is from. The Smash roster is primarily composed of first- and second-party characters, with a handful of third-party guests, but Sakurai has made it quite clear that fourth-party characters should not bother applying; they will never be invited.

Apparently the weakest Yoshi Spirit is...

Tap-Tap?

A boss enemy in Yoshi's Island?

Not Crazee Dayzee?
Tap-Tap was an ordinary enemy as well. Granted, it was an enemy that Yoshi normally could not hurt in any way (his tongue just pushed it a bit, his eggs just knocked it backwards, and stomping on Tap-Tap just hurt Yoshi); he had to use other things (like other Tap-Taps, Chomp Rocks, or Super Stars) to take a Tap-Tap down, and if no suitable objects were available... well, Yoshi couldn't do squat. Crazee Dayzees, by contrast, are very easily killed. So... yeah. Tap-Tap being weaker than Crazee Dayzee still doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That is a nice, simple answer, but it doesn't establish what "fourth-party" actually means. First, second, third, and fourth party are always defined with respect to a particular property owner, like, say, Nintendo. Speaking in terms of Nintendo...
  1. First-party franchises are franchises directly owned by Nintendo itself, such as Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Splatoon. Nintendo has free reign to use these however it sees fit.
  2. Second-party franchises are franchises that Nintendo does not own directly, but does have partial ownership of; they are either owned by direct subsidiaries of Nintendo or Nintendo has co-ownership of them in a fashion where no extensive negotiations are needed for their use (unlike, say, Geno, who Nintendo has partial ownership of, but would still need to go through extensive negotiations with Square Enix to actually use (and Square Enix would likewise need to negotiate with Nintendo to use Geno... if you think this sounds like a headache for both parties, you'd be correct)). Examples include Pokémon (owned by Game Freak/The Pokémon Company International), Golden Sun (owned by Camelot), and Kirby (owned by HAL Laboratories). Though, funnily enough, Game Freak and Camelot aren’t entirely full subsidiaries of Nintendo, as they both have some franchises which they share ownership of with Sega instead (like Pulseman for Game Freak and Shining Force for Camelot). Basically, the difference between second-party and third-party is whether or not the parent company can be considered to be part of Nintendo. Nintendo can use second-party franchises pretty much whenever it likes, but does have to follow some guidelines in how it does so (the Pokémon Company, for instance, can be fairly tight-wadded in regards to how Pokémon is handled, and Nintendo could actually get in trouble if it were to "mishandle" the property). Also, Rareware franchises were considered second-party to Nintendo before the Microsoft buyout; they are now second-party to Microsoft and third-party to Nintendo.
  3. Third-party franchises are franchises that Nintendo does not own at all; they are owned by independent companies in the video game industry, and a third-party franchise having representation on Nintendo property requires some sort of agreement to be made between Nintendo and the franchise's parent company. Third-party franchises include Sonic the Hedgehog (owned by Sega), Mega Man (owned by Capcom), Castlevania (owned by Konami), and Final Fantasy (owned by Square Enix); Sony and Microsoft franchises such as God of War, Little Big Planet, Halo, and Banjo-Kazooie are also third-party for Nintendo, but given that they have their own first-party or second-party systems to be featured on, they aren't likely to be seen on Nintendo systems anytime soon. Kingdom Hearts is technically third-party as well, despite being owned by Disney (not Square Enix as a lot seem to think), as while Disney is not primarily a video game company, Kingdom Hearts itself is primarily a video game franchise. Indie franchises, such as Shantae (WayForward), Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games), and Cave Story (Nicalis), are also third-party to Nintendo.
  4. Fourth-party franchises are not owned by Nintendo and are not primarily video game properties; they may have tie-in video game products, but video games will never be the primary focus of fourth-party franchises. Since Smash is meant to be about video games first and foremost, with a focus on Nintendo, fourth-party franchises really have no business with it. Fourth-party franchises include Dragon Ball (Toei), Shrek (Dreamworks), SpongeBob (Nickelodeon), and the Disney Animated Canon (take a wild guess).

Whether a character is first-party, second-party, third-party, or fourth-party is determined by the ownership of the franchise the character is from. The Smash roster is primarily composed of first- and second-party characters, with a handful of third-party guests, but Sakurai has made it quite clear that fourth-party characters should not bother applying; they will never be invited.
People never seem to get Pokemon ownership right. It's owned equally by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures. The only caveat to that is that the Pokemon trademark is solely owned by Nintendo. The Pokemon Company (previously the Pokemon Center Company) was formed by all 3 to make licensing easier.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because it's not a Spirit like Crazee Dayzee is (and it hasn't appeared in Yoshi games to my knowledge)
>do wiki search
>whole list of yoshi game appearances and sprites

and you call yourself an expert :smirk:

so apparently you meant the other one

which isnt the point of the comment at all???????

the point is that their appearances in paper mario are hella more annoying and therefore more powerful

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
>do wiki search
>whole list of yoshi game appearances and sprites

and you call yourself an expert :smirk:

so apparently you meant the other one

which isnt the point of the comment at all???????

the point is that their appearances in paper mario are hella more annoying and therefore more powerful
That's a normal Crayzee Dayzee, not an Amayzee Dayzee.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I've been trying to do this, and I'm glad to see that my expectation was right - Dan Hibiki is the weakest spirit in the game.

I find it a little weird that Master Hand and Crazy Hand don't have the same stats, like how Galeem and his counterpart do.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's a normal Crayzee Dayzee, not an Amayzee Dayzee.
dawg you literally had the update right there do you just have spoilerphobia

Cool you're galaxy brain powers there buddy.
Nice English.

And also nice not having the update despite the guy before you already having it. What took you much longer? Mocking me? :p

KMDP

Smash Legend

I'm curious to how slots & abilities compare. Several of the Legends with 3 Slots are in the 80s.
Well, for starters; Galeem, Dharkon, Galacta Knight and Akuma don't have slots; Akuma doesn't even have a base Ability (Galacta Knight has Sword Attack ↑, and Galeem and Dharkon have "Bane" abilities which only work in Adventure Mode).

Slots can be pretty important, since some characters with three slots aren't in the top 10, but can end up having the highest tier of Team Power. By this metric, Soma Cruz, Mega Diancie and Isaac (Dark Dawn) are the three strongest spirits.

I had actually been planning to make a chart of my own that catalogued Team Power like this (including number of Slots, Maximum Team Power, Attack Power, Defence Power and Base Ability), but I never got around to it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
dawg you literally had the update right there do you just have spoilerphobia

Nice English.

And also nice not having the update despite the guy before you already having it. What took you much longer? Mocking me? :p
The update wasn't actually there when I quoted you. Sometimes edits don't appear in my quote until after I've posted.

D

Deleted member

Tap-Tap was an ordinary enemy as well. Granted, it was an enemy that Yoshi normally could not hurt in any way (his tongue just pushed it a bit, his eggs just knocked it backwards, and stomping on Tap-Tap just hurt Yoshi); he had to use other things (like other Tap-Taps, Chomp Rocks, or Super Stars) to take a Tap-Tap down, and if no suitable objects were available... well, Yoshi couldn't do squat. Crazee Dayzees, by contrast, are very easily killed. So... yeah. Tap-Tap being weaker than Crazee Dayzee still doesn’t make sense.
What about fifth party franchises?

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I would like to take a moment to direct you to the fact that Medusa is stronger than Hades, according to the spirit power levels.

Oh, and Empress Bulblax is stronger than both Andross and Mother Brain in their respective final forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom