• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
How would any of you feel about non-video game origin characters anyway?

Part of me feels like I’d be fine with it as long as they’re a character that has had plenty of notable games, but at the same time, there’s still other “true” video game characters they could be adding instead.

It’s like YouTube promoting celebrities over people that actually started on YouTube.
As cool as it would be to see someone like Mickey Mouse or Batman, I think it's best to stay within the realm of video game characters. Once a roster loses a uniting theme/has a weak uniting theme, it stops feeling like a professional crossover and more like those strange Pooh's Adventures images on google images.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Part of me feels like I’d be fine with it as long as they’re a character that has had plenty of notable games, but at the same time, there’s still other “true” video game characters they could be adding instead.

It’s like YouTube promoting celebrities over people that actually started on YouTube.
They’d have to represent worthy licensed games in that case, off the top of my head, maybe someone like James Bond (Goldeneye N64) or Scrooge McDuck (Ducktales NES)

D

Deleted member

Every time I see the term "4th Party" I die a little inside.

They’d have to represent worthy licensed games in that case, off the top of my head, maybe someone like James Bond (Goldeneye N64) or Scrooge McDuck (Ducktales NES)
Or the TMNT (NES).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Some examples of 4th Party Characters I'd like to see are

Spongebob
Iron Man
LEGO Guy
Star Lord
yes seriously

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As cool as it would be to see someone like Mickey Mouse or Batman, I think it's best to stay within the realm of video game characters. Once a roster loses a uniting theme/has a weak uniting theme, it stops feeling like a professional crossover and more like those strange Pooh's Adventures images on google images.
This otherwise if we start allowing non-video game characters in people are gonna start demanding for absurd ones like Shrek.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

That's an incredibly apt and timely analogy, really. Huh.

Personally I'm of the opinion that adding non-game characters would kinda make Smash lose its focus, as even when other fighting games have guests, they very rarely break the game's "rules" entirely. To me, Smash's focus is video games, and there's still a lot of untapped material there.

That being said, certain non-game characters would still manage to get me hyped. Mickey Mouse is my go-to example (bonus points if he has the magic blast from the end of Fantasmic as his Final Smash), even if he's impossible.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Not interested.

There's already enough video games that are unrepresented without adding the whole of non-game franchises.
Especially when the most popular of those non-game franchises already have their own games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
what is 4th party characters?
Outside of Smash Speculation, a nonsense word that literally describes something that can't exist if you think about it.
Inside Smash Speculation, a colloquialism to describe a character who didn't originate in a video game.

D

Deleted member

Her Final Smash is crying, releasing Iblis.

Her victory animation is kissing a dead Sonic back to life.
I was talking about the Fire Emblem character but sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Does anyone know the lyrics for the new
F-ZERO Medley yet?
Some weird Engrish there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
hey i leveled up every spirit in the game to 99 and made this

https://pastebin.com/qe0UPaPN

now you all can argue about how strong your favorite characters are
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Dan Hibiki is less powerful than the literal ten-year-old child versions of Alm and Celica who, at that point, have no combat training?

Also hell yeah Caeda's number eighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom