• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sonic is one of those franchises that has games that PROVE it can be good, it's just that Sonic Team doesn't really know how to make good games anymore. Sonic Colors and Generations feel like they were happy accidents sometimes.
I think we figured that part out when one of the best Sonic games to ever come out wasn't even made by them. At least they'll always have the music to fall back on, even the bad Sonic games tend to have great soundtracks.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember being really salty when Sonic 4 2 never came to the Wii.

Did I miss anything from that game?

KMDP

Smash Legend
you were just too weak to understand the perfection of Sonic Forces
I liked Sonic Forces, but I was left with a distinct lack of interest to continue playing it after I finished, which is very weird for me.

'member Green Hill again?

D

Deleted member

Everyone's doing nostalgia pandering nowadays.

Some just do it better than others.

Sonic Generations and Sonic Mania: Good Nostalgia Pandering.
Sonic Forces: Bad Nostalgia Pandering.

'member Genesis? 'member Green Hill?
'member Super Mario 3?
'member Pokémon Red and Blue?
The very game we are "supposed" to be talking abouts main lure is that everyone from previous games is here which is a play on nostalgia

KMDP

Smash Legend
I remember being really salty when Sonic 4 2 never came to the Wii.

Did I miss anything from that game?
Well, you missed sort of playable Tails, actual new Zones that aren't 100% derivative of old zones, playable Metal Sonic in Sonic 4 Episode 1 (even though he only has four levels and that's it), and the soundtrack (unless you don't like the soundfont they used).
The very game we are "supposed" to be talking abouts main lure is that everyone from previous games is here which is a play on nostalgia
Yeah, but Smash has actual depth to it's gameplay.

There are levels in Sonic Forces that are literal straight lines that require no input (except boosting) from the player.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I liked the inclusion of the OC. Reminded of those self insert childrens books you would find in the 90's.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers those, I think the Simpson's made a joke about them once.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That looks like gumby mixed with the Power Rangers and it looks amazing
One of the best things to come out of that game, and this is from someone who doesn’t mind it but felt like it had a TON of missed potential.

I liked the inclusion of the OC. Reminded of those self insert childrens books you would find in the 90's.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers those, I think the Simpson's made a joke about them once.
Oh god they did those for video tapes as well (props to whoever remembers those) I remember me and my sister got ones of Barney for our birthdays when we were like 5 and 3. We both got those books as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have betrayed Little mac after long days of thinking about it i did look at my main if you dare

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The OCs were pretty much the only good thing about Forces IMO. Rest of the game just looked so...bland. The game lacks any level of polish or good level design. Also, physics and gameplay of Classic Sonic looked horrible from what I had seen.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I liked Sonic Forces, but I was left with a distinct lack of interest to continue playing it after I finished, which is very weird for me.

'member Green Hill again?
don’t you mean Sand Hill?
honestly now that Sonic Team is gone, I hope Whitehead takes over
***** what? Proof or it’s all lies
I was just joking with you guys lol
Coming from a guy who’s randomly been pranked...how dare you joke about Sanic

KMDP

Smash Legend
Btw I'm disappointed there was no reptile OCs you could use in Forces

I mean, they already have a crocodile and chameleon IN THAT GAME!!! :yoshi:
To be fair, the Reptile OCs would have been just as generic as the rest, unless they based them on Espio where that'd be justified.

The Bear OC doesn't even look anything like the actual Bear character they have in the series (Bark).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also while searching for that Grima picture, I found this one.

To all you male Robin supporters out there, I ask you: Do you have anything this adorable?

No?

Didn't think so.

#robinisagirlsname

Btw I'm disappointed there was no reptile OCs you could use in Forces

I mean, they already have a crocodile and chameleon IN THAT GAME!!! :yoshi:
Not to mention Sonic Mania only had mammals as playable characters. This is discrimination.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
To be fair, the Reptile OCs would have been just as generic as the rest, unless they based them on Espio where that'd be justified.

The Bear OC doesn't even look anything like the actual Bear character they have in the series (Bark).
I'm just saying...

I'd know some people who'd get a kick out of playing a Vector lookalike :yoshi:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn’t cut any of the Fire Emblem characters, mainly because each of them are fun to play. If they are fun to play, I don’t care about the representation being uneven, or whatever it is people care about with that. I play it because it’s a video game, and I play video games to have fun. I do not play them to compare how cool my favorite series is to the ones I don’t like, or stare at the screen to say, “Look at how many characters X series has! It’s a work of art!”

Games are art, but the fact that people consider certain changes to the roster based on what a series “deserves” or what seems like “good representation” shows how unimaginative certain sects of the fanbase can be. People hate on the Fire Emblem characters, and most of the hatred comes from the fact that they, these fans, didn’t get who they wanted. Sure, they may have a lot of similar moves. But they’re fun and their movesets work well. Not to mention they all play different...I don’t see the problem.

Sorry not sorry, but I enjoy pretty much every single Fire Emblem character in the game. I hate the cut discussion, but all I will say is that if some fans had their way, the roster would be a trash heap.

Add in the fact that roughly half of them were added to pad out the roster and weren’t picked over “insert character here”, and there really isn’t a reason to get cut happy with them.

Oh, and don’t cut Ike. Ike is the best lord, hands down.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair, Vector’s body type is more of an exception, a lot of Sonic game characters share the same body type.
Well to be fair, I only know of 2 other body types regarding Sonic anthro characters...

Bara

And morbidly obese

Rouge also has a different body type, albeit one that would be female only.

*cough*

Height also counts as a "different body type", you can't even make your character taller or shorter.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I only know 3 things from Sonic Forces

Sonic OC
"That's why it's called 'war'"
Giant snake

Obviously the 3 things someone like me would pay attention to :yoshi:
I hear/read Sonic Forces and I am reminded of this:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn’t cut any of the Fire Emblem characters, mainly because each of them are fun to play. If they are fun to play, I don’t care about the representation being uneven, or whatever it is people care about with that. I play it because it’s a video game, and I play video games to have fun. I do not play them to compare how cool my favorite series is to the ones I don’t like, or stare at the screen to say, “Look at how many characters X series has! It’s a work of art!”

Games are art, but the fact that people consider certain changes to the roster based on what a series “deserves” or what seems like “good representation” shows how unimaginative certain sects of the fanbase can be. People hate on the Fire Emblem characters, and most of the hatred comes from the fact that they, these fans, didn’t get who they wanted. Sure, they may have a lot of similar moves. But they’re fun and their movesets work well. Not to mention they all play different...I don’t see the problem.

Sorry not sorry, but I enjoy pretty much every single Fire Emblem character in the game. I hate the cut discussion, but all I will say is that if some fans had their way, the roster would be a trash heap.

Add in the fact that roughly half of them were added to pad out the roster and weren’t picked over “insert character here”, and there really isn’t a reason to get cut happy with them.

Oh, and don’t cut Ike. Ike is the best lord, hands down.
I don't think the discussion revolves around cutting them, but rather not adding anymore (At least that's how it is for me.).

Though I personally wished they never added Corrin, especially when it was before the game starring him came out. It was extremely jarring considering the line up surrounding him (Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The team behind Valkyria Chronicles 4 moved onto working at sonic team recently while the other half is working on the new Sakura Wars

VC4 was a fantastic game but the next 3D being good or not is entirely dependent on Kishimoto not directing sonic games anymore

osby

Smash Obsessed
Rouge also has a different body type, albeit one that would be female only.

*cough*

Height also counts as a "different body type", you can't even make your character taller or shorter.
You can say breasts, you know.

Though maybe it's better if you don't, there's no saying what will cause the conversation in here to go out of rails

I hear/read Sonic Forces and I am reminded of this:
Since this is a Sonic thread now: Sonic Team needs to stop treating writing like an afterthought. Seriously. I'm not a "good old days" guy, but I want to see Sonic being written like in Storybook games or Unleashed again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I didn’t get to it today, but I may spend some time tomorrow typing up a little something I looked into today. I could end up wrong in the end, but I think we’re underestimating the fact that all 3rd parties so far are Japanese in origin.

Communication for business would be better, quicker, and likely cheaper than dealing with a company speaking another language and requiring flights across the world. I haven’t checked, but from what I remember, Capcom for example isn’t all that far from Nintendo.

Anyway, all I will say is that we’re not really running short of Japanese-made quality 3rd party content. I’ll complete my stuff in that tomorrow...hopefully. I have to crush some friends at Smash first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom