• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Arin Hanson could learn a lot of things, I don't see why lots of Sonic fans have beef with him when he clearly sucks at video games period
It's the insistence on "SONIC HAS TO GO FAST OTHERWISE WHAT'S THE POINT!" that bugs me the most.

Granted, Arin isn't the only person to think this, just the most well known.
---
Something about Project Hero I like, the way the guy who is making it is setting it up; you could, in theory, near perfectly replicate the Sonic CD opening in gameplay (which is something I've always wanted to (try to) play); to start with, the start-up of the Drop Dash animation references the CD opening.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Alright it was just a suggestion.

That and we need more Smash-esque crossover fighting games. We already have Jump Stars granted the gameplay is different and Cartoon Network already did one as well.

Capcom
Disney
Nickelodeon
Sega

All the possibilities.
I guess, I mean my idea was a bit more like an arcade style fighting game like MvC, I know it’s way overdone but I feel Sonic would fit pretty naturally into that style of fighting game. Actually I remember thinking about the possibility of Joker for that game idea sometime before he was announced for Smash.

Actually I think for some reason I thought of a Smash style game focused around Disney TV cartoons when I was younger.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I want to know something about past stages in Ultimate. I get that they most likely ported over the ones that appeared in Wii U, but am I correct in assuming that the stages that came from Melee and Brawl that DID NOT appear in Smash 4 were recreated?

And what about the 3DS ones? Is it the same there or was it possible to somehow upscale them in HD?
I don't know exactly much about stage creation in Smash so I will like to be enlightened on this one.

I read someone saying that creating stages isn't that hard, which considering the amount of details most of them have I find it hard to believe.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I forgot one other thing with my loop idea. If Sonic spindashes before the loop, he can go automatically forward while the player holds the c-stick forward to keep him moving. Also, rings can be scattered around the loop and the player can tilt the c-stick forward left or forward right while Sonic is running on the loop to collect the rings or just move around on the loop as he automatically runs forward. Also, the player can make Sonic jump off the loop in case they wanted to get off it or land on a platform or route that is in the middle space of the loop. What do you guys think of this?

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
You know Nintendo doesn't make the game, right?

Also developers weren't interested in making hundreds of characters into initial roster.
Quite sure, just as I'm sure they have some level of involvement in the game.

Your second line seems a bit hyperbolic. I'm not talking about hundreds, but a single character with a fair amount of history behind it. Yes, we can talk in circles about how "Well how about this character that happens to be a spirit?" and to that I say: Look, I'm just bummed that at some point, Sakurai, Sora Ltd, Nintendo looked at the character and went "Well let's just put him in as a spirit."

KMDP

Smash Legend
I read someone saying that creating stages isn't that hard, which considering the amount of details most of them have I find it hard to believe.
Well, creating basic level geometry, especially if you've been doing it for years like Sakurai and his team has, isn't that hard.

It's the extra details (background and foreground), unique lighting, textures and hazards (including bosses) that are the hard part.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Granted, Arin isn't the only person to think this, just the most well known
I love the Game Grumps. Listening to them helped me get through tough times in my years living alone, but damn, some of Arin's gameplay philosophies are just misguided.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I read someone saying that creating stages isn't that hard
I think that depends. Orbital Gate Assault took a year to complete.

Also, all stages that didn't originate from Wii U got remodeled.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sonic fighting game?

Why not a Sega crossover fighting game instead while your at it? ;)
I don't know why a Sega Fighter hasn't happened yet. There are developers who want to do a Sega Fighting game, like Sumo, the creator to Sonic & All-Stars Racing and Sega does have a huge list of IPs. Not to mention that they do want to try to garner attention for their other IPs. Heck, why not a Nintendo vs Sega game? People went crazy enough at the reality that is Mario vs Sonic. I bet people would go just as nuts for a Nintendo vs Sega game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Quite sure, just as I'm sure they have some level of involvement in the game.

Your second line seems a bit hyperbolic. I'm not talking about hundreds, but a single character with a fair amount of history behind it. Yes, we can talk in circles about how "Well how about this character that happens to be a spirit?" and to that I say: Look, I'm just bummed that at some point, Sakurai, Sora Ltd, Nintendo looked at the character and went "Well let's just put him in as a spirit."
Considering adding an art file is infinitely easier than spending months to make them playable, I'm not surprised.

People sometimes act like the only difference between playable and non-playable characters are mere creative whims.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heck, why not a Nintendo vs Sega game? People went crazy enough at the reality that is Mario vs Sonic. I bet people would go just as nuts for a Nintendo vs Sega game.
That's another I'm surprised hasn't happened along with Nintendo vs. Capcom.

I'd much prefer to see Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo) vs. Jump Stars (Weekly Shonen Jump) but that's honestly a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know why a Sega Fighter hasn't happened yet.
As I've already shown, it already did happen, except it was a Sega AM2 crossover, rather than one involving several Sega divisions. The only Sonic characters in the game are ones AM2 made, for one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know why a Sega Fighter hasn't happened yet. There are developers who want to do a Sega Fighting game, like Sumo, the creator to Sonic & All-Stars Racing and Sega does have a huge list of IPs. Not to mention that they do want to try to garner attention for their other IPs. Heck, why not a Nintendo vs Sega game? People went crazy enough at the reality that is Mario vs Sonic. I bet people would go just as nuts for a Nintendo vs Sega game.
Sega VS Nintendo doesn't really work these days I feel as there's only like 5 franchises the general public remembers Sega having.

Also how about Nintendo VS Capcom, two companies with way too many beloved franchises to count

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Ok,

I would assume then that for those stages that were remodeled they had to start from the ground up on the textures, hazards and whatnot?

I can't possibly imagine bringing over a 100 stages in to be remotely easy.

D

Deleted member

Wademan94 Wademan94 Is you Sonic fighting game idea something you want to put together a team and develop into a fan game or a brawl hack or is it just a subject to just talk about?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok,

I would assume then that for those stages that were remodeled they had to start from the ground up on the textures, hazards and whatnot?

Also keep in mind some stages are kept intentionally the same like Flat Zones, Kirby's Dreamland, Mario, retro stages that are meant to look old.

But yeah, other stages took a LOT of time, especially those that came from Melee like FoD and Fourside.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You thought the trumpet meme was dead?

Think again!:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
The Gang Plank Galleon version is still better
Alright it was just a suggestion.

That and we need more Smash-esque crossover fighting games. We already have Jump Stars granted the gameplay is different and Cartoon Network already did one as well.

Capcom
Disney
Nickelodeon
Sega

All the possibilities.
Nickelodeon don’t need to try and make an actual fighting name (the Super Brawl series was enough)...plus...they should be focusing on bringing those THQ games back to life alongside THQ Nordic

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok,

It's most likely wasn't. Not to mention every stage needs extra care with two alternate forms (and maybe for ink mechanic?).

That's probably why there isn't any stages in the game aside from the them, Training Stage, Bonus Stage and boss stages. No stage builder, no home run contest, almost no adventure mode stage.

There's also the fact that we only got four completely new stages and not every previous stage returning is very telling.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I love the Game Grumps. Listening to them helped me get through tough times in my years living alone, but damn, some of Arin's gameplay philosophies are just misguided.
I don't think I'll ever forget the time Dan said (regarding Sonic gameplay): "If you're always going fast, that makes the Speed less special" (paraphrased), which Arin proceeded to ignore.

I can't remember which episode that was in, I think it was Sonic Mania (that or Sonic Adventure or Black Knight).

As far as I can tell, the main argument for "Sonic is only about Speed" is "but the marketing!".

The American Marketing... for a game made in Japan.

It really depends on the stage.

The skeleton of Final Destination can't have taken longer than an Afternoon to make, but the finer details and background animations would have taken way longer.

Presumably, Orbital Gate Assault took a year to make because the set pieces not only had to be made, but also had to be perfectly timed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Probably because fighting games are very difficult to make, and even harder to make well. They're meant for a niche audience and are primarily focused on interaction between players.

It's kinda difficult to do it unless you get an experienced company like Arc Sys to do it for you and probably easier to just do like a racing game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's also the fact that we only got four completely new stages and not every previous stage returning is very telling.
Three of those stages also seem to be reusing assets from their origin games.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If I could I would have Arin Hanson teach me animation, I respect his skills to a massive degree.

But man, he sucks at games a little bit.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Nickelodeon don’t need to try and make an actual fighting name (the Super Brawl series was enough)...plus...they should be focusing on bringing those THQ games back to life alongside THQ Nordic
I want it though. I'd main Daggett so bad.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman

Nickelodeon tried making a crossover game.

It's called "Nicktoons All-Stars," and the reason you don't remember it is because it was a 3-D co-op platformer/beat-em-up that sucked

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nickelodeon tried making a crossover game.

It's called "Nicktoons All-Stars," and the reason you don't remember it is because it was a 3-D co-op platformer/beat-em-up that sucked
They’ve made hundreds of crossover games...fighting, racing, rpg, beat em uppers, you don’t name it
I would play it crap and bootleg games are my happy place
oh...well...enjoy some garbage then...here’s some trash to start your fun off right :ultrichter: (unless this is sinful)

LetterO

Smash Lord
what if you
wanted to go to elite smash
but god said
“explosive flame” like 15 times

KMDP

Smash Legend
If I could I would have Arin Hanson teach me animation, I respect his skills to a massive degree.

But man, he sucks at games a little bit.
It's not necessarily that he sucks at games, it's that he sucks while Let's Playing (which is the only time we see him play).

You have to split your focus between playing the game, talking to someone else and keeping an eye on the time so you know when to make Episode Breaks; this isn't easy.

Let's Players like Chuggaaconroy actually rehearse, or more accurately, do test plays, not to mention Emile only does games he knows like the back of his hand. Other Let's Players like NintendoCapriSun, Lucahjin and NicoB play by themselves, and in most cases, play the episode times by ear, relieving a lot of the pressure and attention delegation.

It also doesn't help that Arin has ADD.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sega VS Nintendo doesn't really work these days I feel as there's only like 5 franchises the general public remembers Sega having.
Considering whenever a new Smash Bros. comes out and people go, "Who's going to be the strange character from an IP nobody really talks about?" or "Which series that hasn't been in Smash will get a character?", I don't see why the same can't apply to a Nintendo vs Sega game. And Smash Bros. does a good job at marketing the characters, even the unknown ones, due to the amount of details and effort they're given. If you gave even some of that effort and detail to the Sega characters, you can still market them to the people who don't know them.
Probably because fighting games are very difficult to make, and even harder to make well. They're meant for a niche audience and are primarily focused on interaction between players.
Remember when 2008 had a ton of fighting games? Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6: bloodline Rebellion, Soul Calibur IV, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Castlevania Judgement, Blazblue, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Fate/Unlimited Codes, Arcana Heart 2, etc.

D

Deleted member

JonTron honestly made Game Grumps funny for me. Dan is....okay, I suppose. Not bad, just kinda there I guess.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
You have to split your focus between playing the game, talking to someone else and keeping an eye on the time so you know when to make Episode Breaks; this isn't easy.
One thing I dont like about Arin is that when he dislikes something, he's very condescending about it. And majority of the time his anger comes from not paying attention to the game and blaming it instead of himself. So this excuse doesn't work

D

Deleted member

what if you
wanted to go to elite smash
but god said
“explosive flame” like 15 times
I actually beat a Palutena earlier that barely used the move at all, funny enough. I then lost against a Gordo spamming Dedede, lol.

Palutena's game seems to be spam spacing moves and Nair. Is there more to it, or is that about it?

KMDP

Smash Legend
One thing I dont like about Arin is that when he dislikes something, he's very condescending about it. And majority of the time his anger comes from not paying attention to the game and blaming it instead of himself. So this excuse doesn't work
Usually, he's not paying attention to the game because he was talking to Dan at the time, so... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom