• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Low key, I kind of hope the whole leak/rumor with Joker, Erdrick, Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa as DLC is real, but I highly doubt it is.
You and I both know there's no way JOKER and ERDRICK are getting in, that's crazy talk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
hair isn't wacky enough

remember when the designers looked at shulk and said "hmmm, he looks like he needs a BIG tuft on the top of his head"
I hate how the anime'd him.
He was a respectable young lad and now they tainted him with an ahoge.

D

Deleted member

You know, I think if Tales of is going to get a character, which if you ask me it should for Namco, my money is on Yuri more so than Lloyd.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I used to think that Ninjas were really cheesy/silly rather then cool. Then I learned that being cheesy and cool are far from mutually exclusive. I'm not really a Ninja Gaiden fan but I'd honestly be hyped for Hayabusa if he happened. I don't buy that leak in the slightest but he'd fit right alongside Mega Man and Simon as a roster pick so I don't think he's a half bad character prediction either. Definitely a sleeper pick, or at least he was before that "leak" drew attention to him.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I’m really glad this thing is going again. When I came today and saw the thread was locked, I was really worried it was shut down for good. Though I’ve been just lurking for the most part since the game dropped, coming here and checking out the latest each night when I get back from work is something I really look forward to. I’m in a new place where I know no one but my work colleagues and it’s sometimes tough, but I’ve always enjoyed checking in on the latest rumors.

So, long story short, thanks all of you guys for making this place fun and interesting. Glad it’s still going strong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’m aware of that, but it’s not DmC. It’s not like Cloud; there were still Final Fantasy games on Nintendo.

It’s not impossible, just not my preference.
Which didn't really matter. Cloud represents FFVII specifically. He wasn't remotely chosen cause of some silly Nintendo importance, it's because FF is a juggernaut and iconic franchise and earned a character. He didn't even think about the whole "did Cloud have a Nintendo appearance" when choosing him. It never came up, because it was irrelevant to him.

Now Nintendo might care, but Sakurai doesn't care about these console wars crap. If Dante's not getting in, it's be because of something actually important, like not figuring out a way to make him gameplay work out and be separate enough from Bayonetta, or Capcom saying no, or him never considering the character as is. Not a tangible reason that means nothing with what's important, which is celebrating gaming history(not Nintendo history. It was made clear that that isn't the focus of Smash anymore. It's a big part of the series, but not a focus. This means any 3rd party will get in solely on their own merits if they're iconic/important. The only ones that'll honestly get in on their Nintendo history are much less known characters, like Geno. At least his popularity got him a costume, so the fan votes have more importance than some arbitrary "must appear on Nintendo" + "must have their series on it, cause apparently that's a thing too". Or to put it more clearly, appearing on a Nintendo system isn't even a guideline. It's something he knows can potentially help him get a character in, since reusing a character for the Nintendo systems more than once has a reasonably bigger chance than those who never had a Nintendo appearance. Not that it's ever that simple either. In addition, he has not remotely said that their series needs to appear on Nintendo as is. People like to pretend he actually cares about a Nintendo appearance, taking what he meant by "it'd be something as a courtesy" completely wrong(when it just means that. It'd be nice, but isn't a key factor), but at least the rule is based upon something that exists.

Dante, for this example, as given, already has a Nintendo appearance. Not that he even needed one, but if that somehow is a real criteria(it isn't), he removed the only artificial barrier keeping him out. The funny thing is the rest of why he couldn't get in is far less arbitrary because Companies have their own opinions on who gets in crossovers. If they don't want two particular characters to be together, they won't allow it. It may or may not be for arbitrary reasons. You know what is arbitrary? Needing some silly appearance when the reason 3rd parties are chosen is because they're a character first, not a quota to meet. Sakurai actually has done quota-based picks before(he wanted another Metroid character in Brawl. Yeah, that's pretty much the reason he considered Zero Suit Samus. There's of course more to it than that). Both Greninja and Incineroar got in due to a quota to fill as well. But they weren't going to get in unless they also were interesting enough on their own. And that's the point. The character needs to stand out on their own. 3rd party or not, these arbitrary quotas almost never exist, with more or less 3 examples in Smash history. MegaMan didn't get in one bit for starting on Nintendo. He got in because he's a major gaming mascot. Bayonetta is a unique one, but it wasn't as simple as "ooh, Nintendo appearances", it's because Nintendo is publishing her games. That means that for whatever reason he chose her(which wasn't the ballot as the datamines can help us determine), Nintendo just happened to back it along with Sega. They agreed. It is possible that her being tied to Nintendo was part of it. Sure. But then she'd be the special example and due to not being a 3rd party icon when chosen, well, she's an exception to the iconic rule.

?????????????

Smash Master
Which didn't really matter. Cloud represents FFVII specifically. He wasn't remotely chosen cause of some silly Nintendo importance, it's because FF is a juggernaut and iconic franchise and earned a character. He didn't even think about the whole "did Cloud have a Nintendo appearance" when choosing him. It never came up, because it was irrelevant to him.

Now Nintendo might care, but Sakurai doesn't care about these console wars crap. If Dante's not getting in, it's be because of something actually important, like not figuring out a way to make him gameplay work out and be separate enough from Bayonetta, or Capcom saying no, or him never considering the character as is. Not a tangible reason that means nothing with what's important, which is celebrating gaming history(not Nintendo history. It was made clear that that isn't the focus of Smash anymore. It's a big part of the series, but not a focus. This means any 3rd party will get in solely on their own merits if they're iconic/important. The only ones that'll honestly get in on their Nintendo history are much less known characters, like Geno. At least his popularity got him a costume, so the fan votes have more importance than some arbitrary "must appear on Nintendo" + "must have their series on it, cause apparently that's a thing too". Or to put it more clearly, appearing on a Nintendo system isn't even a guideline. It's something he knows can potentially help him get a character in, since reusing a character for the Nintendo systems more than once has a reasonably bigger chance than those who never had a Nintendo appearance. Not that it's ever that simple either. In addition, he has not remotely said that their series needs to appear on Nintendo as is. People like to pretend he actually cares about a Nintendo appearance, taking what he meant by "it'd be something as a courtesy" completely wrong(when it just means that. It'd be nice, but isn't a key factor), but at least the rule is based upon something that exists.

Dante, for this example, as given, already has a Nintendo appearance. Not that he even needed one, but if that somehow is a real criteria(it isn't), he removed the only artificial barrier keeping him out. The funny thing is the rest of why he couldn't get in is far less arbitrary because Companies have their own opinions on who gets in crossovers. If they don't want two particular characters to be together, they won't allow it. It may or may not be for arbitrary reasons. You know what is arbitrary? Needing some silly appearance when the reason 3rd parties are chosen is because they're a character first, not a quota to meet. Sakurai actually has done quota-based picks before(he wanted another Metroid character in Brawl. Yeah, that's pretty much the reason he considered Zero Suit Samus. There's of course more to it than that). Both Greninja and Incineroar got in due to a quota to fill as well. But they weren't going to get in unless they also were interesting enough on their own. And that's the point. The character needs to stand out on their own. 3rd party or not, these arbitrary quotas almost never exist, with more or less 3 examples in Smash history. MegaMan didn't get in one bit for starting on Nintendo. He got in because he's a major gaming mascot. Bayonetta is a unique one, but it wasn't as simple as "ooh, Nintendo appearances", it's because Nintendo is publishing her games. That means that for whatever reason he chose her(which wasn't the ballot as the datamines can help us determine), Nintendo just happened to back it along with Sega. They agreed. It is possible that her being tied to Nintendo was part of it. Sure. But then she'd be the special example and due to not being a 3rd party icon when chosen, well, she's an exception to the iconic rule.
That’s a great lay-down of putting down fan rules.

Just to clarify, I myself don’t see Dante as an impossibility by any means; I just DO care about that “history to Nintendo.”

It’s not a rule. It’s just my own preference.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys lets be honest after Joker's reveal. Anyone is possible at this point. Hate to say even Scorpion has a shot.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So a co-worker of mine was making the argument that Ryu-H would be a echo of :ultgreninja:

I know this is false but I couldn't counter argue as my knowledge is sparse.

D

Deleted member

Im getting mixed vibes is Sans a possibility or a troll character because I would love Sans and he would probably dethrone Little mac as my main

osby

Smash Obsessed
So a co-worker of mine was making the argument that Ryu-H would be a echo of :ultgreninja:

He's not a frog.

Im getting mixed vibes is Sans a possibility or a troll character because I would love Sans and he would probably dethrone Little mac as my main
:ultpiranha:both:ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Doesn't Greninja use his long tongue for a few of his moves? I'm just imagining how Ryu-H would be able to do that.

D

Deleted member

Idk he pretty Much looks like assist trophy material to me

D

Deleted member

Doesn't Greninja use his long tongue for a few of his moves? I'm just imagining how Ryu-H would be able to do that.
He wouldn't this doesn't have to with smash ultimate because thare is no Echo Fighters in dlc unless they surprise us and give us an echo fighter pack

Pakky

Smash Hero
He wouldn't this doesn't have to with smash ultimate because thare is no Echo Fighters in dlc unless they surprise us and give us an echo fighter pack
I meant echo as in how.

:ultganondorf: borrows from :ultfalcon:

or

:ultcloud: pinches from :ultike:

?????????????

Smash Master
My dlc prediction is that all our predictions are wrong.
To be honest, I’m not sold on any of the speculations being truths yet. Even though there’s been a lot of talk about Erdrick, a lot of things make me question it as well.

I think we’ll be surprised.

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be honest, I’m not sold on any of the speculations being truths yet. Even though there’s been a lot of talk about Erdrick, a lot of things make me question it as well.

I think we’ll be surprised.
Earthworm Jim!
Also what's up man :D

?????????????

Smash Master
I’d be a little surprised if we got Scorpion before Heihachi, if that makes sense, but I’d be into it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That’s a great lay-down of putting down fan rules.

Just to clarify, I myself don’t see Dante as an impossibility any means; I just DO care about that “history to Nintendo.”

It’s not a rule. It’s just my own preference.
That's fair. I just can't get into a rule like that because I feel it drowns out good choices. It's why I think Cloud was the best FF rep to get. He is Final Fantasy.

I mean, I want Brian in, sure. But he's from a dead franchise that was unpopular. Him having Nintendo history is meaningless if he had no chance to begin with due to his obscurity. That's the point I want to get across here. The first thing that'll matter is the character's legacy before anything else. If they happen to have some history with Nintendo, cool. If not, it's a matter of the people coming to an agreement first.

Also, Cloud has little history with Nintendo. His "games" are not on there. He has a few small cameos and like, one game he's playable in. Dante has more playable appearances due to more than one Project X Zone game. He's got actually more history with Nintendo because they actually make him important to the game he's in. Cloud really really wasn't a key factor in his appearances. Just a noteworthy guest. Basically, it's pointless to say they have history with Nintendo if their starring game isn't on it for Dante. When the same can be said about Cloud. It doesn't make sense to let him get off the hook under that. It's an unfair distinction. The character is the one getting in Smash, not the series. Plus, when Cloud is in the game, it's specifically titled FFVII content. Not FF content. This is really important to keep in mind. We both know Cloud did not remotely get in for his history with Nintendo at all. It wasn't relevant, and he had very tangible history with it, far less than many many characters. This is actually why people didn't think he should get in over a FF character who has actual Nintendo history of note. Because Cloud has zero importance to Nintendo. In fact, Cloud's most important things are his amiibo and soon enough his game first appearing. He was in 3 Smash games before his actual game could hit the Nintendo consoles. If that isn't proof enough Nintendo history didn't matter with him, I don't know what is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well considering how much stuff we throw at the wall, chances are one of it's gonna stick.
Chances are that the sticking ones will the characters that majority of the main thread wrote it off, tbh, like Cloud, Bayo or Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom