• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So had anyone completed Adventure Mode or still at it like I am?

If not who had y'all saved so far? Me I've saved

:ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlink::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzss:

Still on World of Light as we speak.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So Leffen made a tier list.
View attachment 186036
Notes:
- Simon, Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Daisy score the same as their counterparts
- Certain characters aren't listed since Leffen doesn't have a feel for them yet, like Mii Brawler, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Mr. Game and Watch.
- Three characters weren't listed because Leffen views them as so bad that they aren't worth talking about. These are Little Mac (RIP Mac Baby), Kirby, and Bowser Jr.

Definitely some things to talk about.
Heh, I knew people were sleeping on Cloud, Ridley and Daisy.

D

Deleted member

TBH I probably won't buy the Epic Yarn 3DS port. Only reason I got the Luigi's Mansion port was because my GC copy is pretty beat up and could give out on me any day now. I mean, portability is cool, but I don't think having Epic Yarn portable is a huge deal for me right now. My original Wii copy is in great condition last I checked and I have both a Wii U and Wii that work great, so I'm good.

Yeah, I'll admit that expecting the first General Direct this early in the year when they usually don't happen until a bit later was wishful thinking on my part, lol. I don't know if I'd expect any DLC info on Smash outside of Joker gameplay for the next Direct, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've decided to not buy Joker until I play Persona 5.

I dunno why, but I feel like I need to know what this character's about before I can play him.

Potato_

Smash Lord
TBH I probably won't buy the Epic Yarn 3DS port. Only reason I got the Luigi's Mansion port was because my GC copy is pretty beat up and could give out on me any day now. I mean, portability is cool, but I don't think having Epic Yarn portable is a huge deal for me right now. My original Wii copy is in great condition last I checked and I have both a Wii U and Wii that work great, so I'm good.

Yeah, I'll admit that expecting the first General Direct this early in the year when they usually don't happen until a bit later was wishful thinking on my part, lol. I don't know if I'd expect any DLC info on Smash outside of Joker gameplay for the next Direct, though.
That and a release date are all I really want from Smash right now. I'm more excited to hear about Prime 4, a potential new Zelda (feel like this one will be saved for E3 as their big seller though) and Pokemon.

Honestly if they do wait for March though I could see them also having a trailer for "Brave" or whoever. At the very least a reveal.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I mean...it hardly made an impact in the US as far as I know, and even then I don’t thats necessarily historic considering how fast it fell off.

We’ll have to agree to disagree there. It can’t actually threaten Pokémon if it doesn’t take over other regions as well. To be completely honest, to the video game industry as a whole, I would call that potentially, maybe, a little more than a blip. Maybe more than a blip in Japan, but again, it didn’t catch on anywhere else.
i keep saying this but it caught on with kids in the uk, they released yokai watch 3 months early in the uk because its popular enough there to be a big christmas gift deal

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean, no one's being impatient. We've just been discussing when one might happen, no one is demanding one.
Trust me...as a man who’s survived many secret/civil/infinity wars, most start off calm...then get more and more deranged and hungry for Nintendo news until they get what they want (won’t be as bad now as it was during the Smash Ultimate wait, but oh well)

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's my patented Noipoi timelinetm on how I think the next three months will go.

January-either mini direct late in the month, or nothing.
February-Dedicated Pokemon direct to announce the next generation. Piranha Plant release.
March-Full Direct, give Crafted World a push and announce a few things (like a Persona 5 port). Joker will get some gameplay, maybe Brave will be announced. We may get one big game reveal like with Smash.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
they added Zelda 2 and some tank game with gray metroids called Blaster Master to the NES Online.

where's my Earthbound Beginnings, Kirby's Adventure, and the game of the year, Super Mario Bros. 2?!
Would much prefer Knack 2.

... Or Castlevania.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You kinda have to go out of your way to get him, I can understand why one would miss him.

Not me though, I got everybody. Even Mii Brawler, with their incredibly obtuse unlock method.
Well I'm up for the challenge especially since I'm trying to 100% it. Thanks for the letting me know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I now know why dataminers kept Jack and Brave hidden, they knew all along we wouldn't be able to handle discussing who they are. Seeing as how people are going to the point of saying "character X is brave" or "character X has once said the b-word" I'm imagining what the Jack discussions would have been but I know it'd eventually devolve into "character X has jacked off once"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not really. It's been two months since the last Smash Direct. A lot longer since the last Nintendo Direct.
I was talking about early in this specific year, not based on how long it’s been since a direct o any sort of massive Nintendo announcement
No not my boi! :crying:
I got confused on trying to look for some f the characters, so I went into “**** it” Mode and went straight into the final chapter (winning it all with :ultmario::ultsonic: out of respects to my days in the SSE, and my main :ultpit: to get the finishing blow on Galeem and Dharkon)

Noipoi

Howdy!
I now know why dataminers kept Jack and Brave hidden, they knew all along we wouldn't be able to handle discussing who they are. Seeing as how people are going to the point of saying "character X is brave" or "character X has once said the b-word" I'm imagining what the Jack discussions would have been but I know it'd eventually devolve into "character X has jacked off once"
That would be Luigi.

What do you think he does when Mario's off adventuring? Rescue Princess Eclair? Please.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Megaman already has you covered.
702.jpg

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
So, lemme see what we know about "Brave":
- Codenamed "Brave" in the files.
- Average run speed/jump height/weight.
- Slides when turning after running.
- Appears to be shorter than Luigi. (Based on the size modifiers that are applied to their model by the game's code.)

My guesses for why they slide are: They carry something heavy for their size/they float instead of walking/they have wheels/they run a lot.

This "Brave" character seems to move really smoothly based on that clip.

See, the thing that's really getting to me here is the way they turn - they look they're a car drifting. It's very distinctive, and has really given me pause to the idea of the next DLC fighter being Erdrick. So much pause, in fact, that I don't think it's Erdrick at all.

I can't really see the short Classic Erdrick drifting when they turn. Their sword isn't that big, and their armor isn't that heavy. The real nail in the coffin here though, in my opinion, is that run speed - it's too fast for what I understand to be a rather slow character in their home games. (I'll admit that I've never played Dragon Quest, however, so feel free to correct me if any of what I just stated is blatantly false.)

So if it's not Erdrick, then who is it?!

Well, we can start by narrowing it down to characters who are either very Brave, associated with the term Brave in some notable fashion, or are a notable Hero (Yuusha can also mean hero). (It could be a misdirect, though, but I'll explain why I don't think that's the case in a moment.) Then, we can narrow it down further to the three limitations that Marked Marshmellow mentioned - they either have wheels, carry something very large and heavy for their size, or float instead of walking. Lastly, we have to note that they are rather short, and are (besides the drifting) relatively agile.

Oh, and they can't have a rapid jab either. Actually, while we're on it, for the sake of narrowing it down even further, let's assume that Spirits disconfirm characters.

This brings us to a pretty small pool of characters whom it could be, so let's start narrowing it down.

None of the Bravely Default characters would move like that (I think? I've admittedly never played Bravely Default or Bravely Second, but from what I know of it none of the likely characters from those two games would move like that.) As such, they can be eliminated from our speculation.

Porky, who would fit the "cowardly" misdirection, would be far too large in either of his mechs. Though he would likely be short enough without either of his mechs, he likely wouldn't be without it. He's too much of a coward to actually fight without a machine's protection - he fears death far too much. If they did remove the mech, however, he would likely at least have the spider-like robot limbs, which would give him a rapid jab, thus disqualifying him from being the "brave" DLC character.

Also, I can't really think of any other "cowardly" characters (1st or 3rd party) that are notable enough to be contenders for the roster, let alone DLC. (Note that while Boo is a possible contender, they are a spirit. King Boo is too large, and is also a spirit.) As such, I am pretty sure the "brave" moniker is not meant to be intentionally misdirecting.

Agumon is possible. Their size matches, they're fairly fast, and they wouldn't have a rapid jab due to using slashing attacks. (I know that Agumon has a moniker or something referring to bravery, though as I was never a Digimon fan, the specifics here are lost on me. If someone more knowledgable there could help me with that, that would be much appreciated.) But again, we run into the drifting problem. Agumon is not on a bike, it doesn't levitate, and its base form does not carry around very heavy artillery that weight it down to the point of drifting. (And if it was, it wouldn't be moving at anything faster than a snail's pace.)

Never played Tales of Vesperia, but from what I know there's no way Yuri (the one with the Brave connection) is smaller than Luigi.

Slime is possible, due to the "Yuusha-Dragon Quest" connection. Again, I haven't played Dragon Quest, so I'm not sure if Slime's movement patterns would quite match up. Everything else works out though, I think.

However, we come to the last truly likely character, and the one I think is our DLC character - Sora. The Keyblade is definitely something heavy for their size, and their running and aerial speed matches right up. Their short stature can easily be explained by the fact that, when fighting, Sora bends forward significantly, greatly reducing their height. (See this image for more details.) Oh, and don't forget about Valor Form in KH2 being referred to as Brave Form in Japan!

tl;dr: sora's gonna smash

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Those DQ finishers from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory has every single DQ character sliding alot cause sliding looks cool

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The sliding doesnt mean much either way

Thats like a very typical movement in many video game characters after running and turning to the other side.
sonic, villager, mario, etc

Just a penguin

Smash Master
the real truth is that it's rick from kirby

the hampster is coming for your faves
I know this is a joke, but maybe the Star Allies version of Rick, Coo, and Kine might be a better idea. Rick could be on the ground, Coo could be in the air, and Kine could be in the water and in a special move or two along with being in the water. Or, to really mix it up, make them play like Pokemon Trainer, with Rick being more effective in the air, Coo being more effective in the air, and Kine being in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom