• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I think it could be real but I dont want to put my eggs into the basket incase its fake

TLDR;
Erdrick's been heavily implied to be "Brave" in the files, we've had a SE character rumored for the longest
Steve is another character that's been rumored for the longest time, Minecraft is very popular in Japan as well
Ryu Hayabusa is one of the classic NES characters and the Ninja Gaiden series is favored in the west mostly
Doom is the grandpa of first person shooters, Doom Eternal is coming to Switch and is mostly a western pick

I know that all of the rumored Grinch leak characters had plausibility behind them too, but given that Nintendo chose the DLC I can see all of these being likely
Yeah Nintendo chose the eligible DLC, but it's still Sakurai who decides on who among the 5 would make good movesets. So it really depends on his feelings towards these supposed leaked characters (and their series).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Nintendo chose the eligible DLC, but it's still Sakurai who decides on who among the 5 would make good movesets. So it really depends on his feelings towards these supposed leaked characters (and their series).
Okay, but we don't know what he personally thinks about them, so it's kinda useless to bring this up.

Plus, third party content until now suggests that he prefers adding content from influential games to the Smash (even though not necessarily in the form of playable characters). These four are pretty important franchises to gaming as a whole.

D

Deleted member

So, I'm absolutely blazing through WoL! There's a few main contributing factors to this:
  • :ultyoshi: is an early unlock on the :ultvillager: route
  • I already had a very powerful spirit team, since my brothers started WoL before me and since I did a lot of Spirit Board battles.
    • The team was amazing on other characters, but it becomes nigh unbeatable on :ultyoshi: due to the series boost. (Superstar Baby Mario is the Primary, in case you're wondering.)
  • THE SKILL TREE. OH MY ****ING GOD, THE SKILL TREE. Do I even need to elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I left my game cartridge at home on accident.

Guess Im going to play Let's Go Eevee for 5 hours straight!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I am so accepting this as canon. You've got Master Hand putting careful thought and consideration into each of the characters he sends letters to while Crazy Hand sends letters out to the most random characters because he thinks it'll be funny. By the time Master Hand realizes, it's too late.

Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant had to get in somehow. X)
I know that’s a joke, but I feel like it belittles certain characters. The beast thing about how the game is developed is how so much care was put into representing each character. It makes it feel like everyone is important, and that no detail is too small. This element would clash with that design philosophy and inadvertently insult all of the people who worked on those characters. Plus, really? Roy and Snake would be Crazy’s invites? If you think that YOU’RE crazy.

Okay, but we don't know what he personally thinks about them, so it's kinda useless to bring this up.

Plus, third party content until now suggests that he prefers adding content from influential games to the Smash (even though not necessarily in the form of playable characters). These four are pretty important franchises to gaming as a whole.
Yeah. Bayonetta revolutionized the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I know that’s a joke, but I feel like it belittles certain characters. The beast thing about how the game is developed is how so much care was put into representing each character. It makes it feel like everyone is important, and that no detail is too small. This element would clash with that design philosophy and inadvertently insult all of the people who worked on those characters. Plus, really? Roy and Snake would be Crazy’s invites? If you think that YOU’RE crazy.

I feel like Bayonetta is a special case...

She's kind of a Nintendo character at this point, as the series is now basically Nintendo exclusive...
That, and the Smash Ballot

In retrospect, she kinda made sense

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You're taking this unreasonably seriously. Also, we're just talking about character selection process, not design process.

And let's be honest, neither Roy or Snake were choices made by logic.

Hence, "prefers". Plus, both Persona and Bayonetta are critically acclaimed series, they don't necessarily need to be pioneers of a new genre. It's more apparent in ATs, like Monster Hunter or Shovel Knight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay but I'd argue that Crash is at least twice as important than Hayabusa

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it could be real but I dont want to put my eggs into the basket incase its fake

TLDR;
Erdrick's been heavily implied to be "Brave" in the files, we've had a SE character rumored for the longest
Steve is another character that's been rumored for the longest time, Minecraft is very popular in Japan as well
Ryu Hayabusa is one of the classic NES characters and the Ninja Gaiden series is favored in the west mostly
Doom is the grandpa of first person shooters, Doom Eternal is coming to Switch and is mostly a western pick

I know that all of the rumored Grinch leak characters had plausibility behind them too, but given that Nintendo chose the DLC I can see all of these being likely
Nintendo chose the DLC character yes, but still weird that there's no first party newcomer in them outside of Piranha Plant. :ultpiranha:

This is why I hope for Wave 2.

Because personally, outside of Banjo-Kazooie, there's no 3rd party character that would truly satisfy me.

D

Deleted member

Okay how the actual **** is Kirby part of some of the spirit battles in WoL if Galeem didn't get him

osby

Smash Obsessed
Please do that, because I have no idea why. Also, it would be great if you also explain why Crash has anything to do with my post.

Nintendo chose the DLC character yes, but still weird that there's no first party newcomer in them outside of Piranha Plant. :ultpiranha:

This is why I hope for Wave 2.

Because personally, outside of Banjo-Kazooie, there's no 3rd party character that would truly satisfy me.
We don't know for sure if this "leak" is real. If it is, we'll have the same amount of DLC Nintendo newcomers as the last time.

Okay how the actual **** is Kirby part of some of the spirit battles in WoL if Galeem didn't get him
They copied him from Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hmm! Good point.. just a sec then..
Yup, here's an answer.. he's another Kirby :D

Edit: Btw, are you Zinith in disguise, or you two just love Yoshi that much?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Less connection towards Nintendo, more of a direct competitor towards Nintendo because platform gaming was totally Nintendominated by the time Crash Bandicoot came out first and he's less of a iconic character towards the whole genre of platforming than characters as say, Cloud, Ryu, PacMan, the Belmonts and Snake are.

Personally, I don't see the appeal unless you played the games. And then again, I would think they would've added him to the base roster because the triology of Crash games has already been released on Switch. Then again, I could be wrong, because with Bayonetta it was pretty much the same thing. Yet by that time, Bayonetta was basically a honorary Nintendo character, Crash isn't.

D

Deleted member

Please do that, because I have no idea why. Also, it would be great if you also explain why Crash has anything to do with my post.
  1. Crash was the face of 3D platforming for years, and is back in the limelight with N. Sane Trilogy and CTR: Nitro-Fueled. Ryu Hayabusa is a bit of a literal who to all of us who aren't retro diehards.
  2. You were talking about important gaming icons that could be DLC. Crash is one of those.
They copied him from Jigglypuff.
Ah, that makes sense. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

he's less of a iconic character towards the whole genre of platforming than characters as say, Cloud, Ryu, PacMan, the Belmonts and Snake are.
Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Metal Gear are my favorite platforming games

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally liked Bayonetta, but the whole "stepping on your enemies" thing was kinda copied from Super Mario.

D

Deleted member

So according to your logic, only characters that are either highly requested, or characters that you know, should get in?
I'm not saying that
I'm saying that being highly requested and/or well-known are other contributing factors. There's more to it than just having had an impact on the gaming industry.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But can't the same thing be said for :ultkrool:?
No. Donkey Kong Country has been rereleased plenty of times on Nintendo VC and was coupled with the SNES Mini as well. If you haven't played the game(s) by now, it's entirely your loss. I literally don't know anybody who is a Smash fan who didn't at least play the original Donkey Kong Country. Why you think he became this popular?

D

Deleted member

No. Donkey Kong Country has been rereleased plenty of times on Nintendo VC and was coupled with the SNES Mini as well. If you haven't played the game(s) by now, it's entirely your loss. I literally don't know anybody who is a Smash fan who didn't at least play the original Donkey Kong Country. Why you think he became this popular?
True
He's a recent (and I mean very recent) loyal follower of my boi :yoshi:
Also true

D

Deleted member

In response to recent poll:

I chose "best smash ever" option, because while I still have the listed qualms of the second option I can't contend the amount of content that the game has on offer. And while the online needs a lot of work, it still works just enough to be enjoyable with friends.

I'm very pleased with Ultimate. I hope it will stay that way in the future as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was making the comparison with Crash as a platforming character compared to the iconic status of those characters. Crash isn't as much of a icon to platforming as the Smash characters are icon to their respective genre of gaming.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was making the comparison with Crash as a platforming character compared to the iconic status of those characters. Crash isn't as much of a icon to platforming as the Smash characters are icon to their respective genre of gaming.
Eh, we got Bayonetta and Joker, he'll fit in just fine. I don't even like Crash, but there isn't really a high threshold. We already have multiple platforming guest characters and only Sonic is really famous for his 3D games.

D

Deleted member

When will people stop pretending the SNES mini reached a wide number of people?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ryu Hayabusa is a bit of a literal who to all of us who aren't retro diehards.
Although the series has gone kind of silent in recent years, it's not like Ninja Gaiden disappeared after the NES. There's been plenty of Ninja Gaiden games on the 6th and 7th Generation of Consoles. Likewise, Ryu is a mainstay in Dead or Alive, which has a bi-yearly release. I'm not a huge fan of Ryu Hayabusa (I think 2 ninjas is enough, personally) but there's no debate he's an icon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
When will people stop pretending the SNES mini reached a wide number of people?
Then the damn Virtual Console rereleases also should've done it. If not, the GBA remakes before. Being released on GBA, Wii VC, 3DS VC and Wii U VC is already a great deal. As well as being one of the consistent most popular games.

It's QUITE damn hard to be a loyal Smash fan and missing out on Donkey Kong Country honestly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom