• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Can this be canon? All sensible choices like Zelda or Wario is Master Hand's invitations and Crazy Hand is like...

"Hey, a potted plant! Join to Smash! Hey, cool burning sword! Join to Smash! I have no idea what's a Metal Gear but nice ***, join to Smash!"
I am so accepting this as canon. You've got Master Hand putting careful thought and consideration into each of the characters he sends letters to while Crazy Hand sends letters out to the most random characters because he thinks it'll be funny. By the time Master Hand realizes, it's too late.

Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant had to get in somehow. X)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey guys, today I learned the hard way that Ridley's up special...
I just had an ultimate realization.

USING RIDLEY'S UP SPECIAL TO SPIKE IS DR. DOOM'S FOOTDIVE
View attachment 185926
...Uh yeah, it spikes. That was what I was going to say.

Gosh I wish I saw this post today before I had to bright idea to challenge Ridley's up special above the edge of the stage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Found it.

Yep, he definitely pulls it off better than Samus.

I am so accepting this as canon. You've got Master Hand putting careful thought and consideration into each of the characters he sends letters to while Crazy Hand sends letters out to the most random characters because he thinks it'll be funny. By the time Master Hand realizes, it's too late.

Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant had to get in somehow. X)
Yeah, there is a great disparity between how characters are chosen and two Hands represent them perfectly. Smash would have a pretty boring roster if every fighter was chosen by Master Hand (like in the first game).

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Found it.

Yep, he definitely pulls it off better than Samus.

Yeah, there is a great disparity between how characters are chosen and two Hands represent them perfectly. Smash would have a pretty boring roster if every fighter was chosen by Master Hand (like in the first game).
Crazy Hand selecting Doomslayer: lol bring the shotgun

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Those are two different Sabers.

Top is Nero Claudius.
Bottom is Artoria Pendragon in a kimono.
Nero as an alternate costume would be hilarious, change the base color and everyone would be confused as hell. Bonus points if they give Saber a red one and Nero a blue one.

D

Deleted member

Nero as an alternate costume would be hilarious, change the base color and everyone would be confused as hell. Bonus points if they give Saber a red one and Nero a blue one.
Nero as an Artoria Echo. :V

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
These Fighter Spirits feel super lazy sometimes because even for the same series, their pictures are way out of date compared to the other ones sometime.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
So does anyone actually believe the supposed 4 DLC characters after Joker are real? I mean the DQ guy sounds somewhat legit due to the data-mining and DQ's popularity in Japan (don't know about international though) but I don't know about the other three and whether it is something Nintendo or Sakurai would consider on their minds (Sakurai especially as he's still the one choosing the DLC from Nintendo's list).

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
So does anyone actually believe the supposed 4 DLC characters after Joker are real? I mean the DQ guy sounds somewhat legit due to the data-mining and DQ's popularity in Japan (don't know about international though) but I don't know about the other three and whether it is something Nintendo or Sakurai would consider on their minds (Sakurai especially as he's still the one choosing the DLC from Nintendo's list).
Noone Thinks the leak is real but there's nothing better to discuss

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
I refuse to trust any DLC leaks without Reimu in it. I believe in her.

Bias aside it doesnt sound legit because of the MC costume on friggin Steve, thats like getting ZSS with a Ridley shirt instead of a full character.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Makes me wonder where this information even came from in the first place, and the arguments for/against it.
5chan, I believe?
Primary argument for it is that it guessed Erdrick before the datamine confirmed "Brave", but Erdrick had been floating around for a long time so there isn't much for it.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
5chan, I believe?
Primary argument for it is that it guessed Erdrick before the datamine confirmed "Brave", but Erdrick had been floating around for a long time so there isn't much for it.
There's also P5R and ArcSys Granblue muddled in there somewhere, but the former's domain name had been around for a long time and Hitagi had already leaked the latter.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
There's also P5R and ArcSys Granblue muddled in there somewhere, but the former's domain name had been around for a long time and Hitagi had already leaked the latter.
Those games were from the leak that only got Joker and Erdrick, right?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Those games were from the leak that only got Joker and Erdrick, right?
The information's a bit confused and I'm not 100% sure. To my knowledge, the Joker/Erdrick leak had both, while the 'full roster' leak now circulating around mentioned only P5R (as justification for Joker's addition).

The full roster leak also said that P5R would release in early 2019, which is clearly not happening given it's only getting a proper announcement in March, so...

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, it's hard to say what Nintendo and Sakurai would consider. Even if you chalk up :ultbayonetta::ultsnake: to special circumstances, Joker sure as hell wasn't predictable by any means, especially considering base roster gone full nostalgia for the guest newcomers.

Minecraft, Ninja Gaiden and Doom all have good reasons to be on Nintendo's radar, if Persona 5 was.

How much longer till the "too early for tier lists" point hold out? :yoshi:
Until we get our last DLC character.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question: Would Steve be considered the first playable indie character as that's how he started or would the fact he's owned by the complete opposite negate that?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Question: Would Steve be considered the first playable indie character as that's how he started or would the fact he's owned by the complete opposite negate that?
This kinda reminds me "are Banjo-Kazooie considered Nintendo characters?" question.

Steve is not an indie character currently, but he was one when Minecraft first created. It depends on whether you think his new owner company overwrites his initial identity.

Also, are "indie" or "indie character" even legal terms?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'd argue that Microsoft now owning him doesn't negate the game's origins. It still all started with one guy in Sweden.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This kinda reminds me "are Banjo-Kazooie considered Nintendo characters?" question.

Steve is not an indie character currently, but he was one when Minecraft first created. It depends on whether you think his new owner company overwrites his initial identity.

Also, are "indie" or "indie character" even a legal terms?
I'm not sure. Has anyone sued a game for claiming to be indie when it was really made by a studio?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whether or not it's real, none of the four surprise me. I'm still of the belief Nintendo, not Sakurai, were instrumental in getting Ryu and Cloud and maybe Bayonetta last time, and this is just a continuation of that mindset. If the priority is to draw in consumers that may not normally gravitate to Smash or the Switch, these are the type of characters to do so. Much as Ryu and Cloud were last time.

Even if this list is fake, I fully expect this wave of characters to be primarily third-parties, and have expected as much even prior to Joker.

It begs the question whether he'd be included if he wasn't owned by Microsoft.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Depends on Sakurai's intent probably...
I don't think he'd care as much about that distinction as much as we do.

And by "we" I mean the fanbase, because I don't really care if Steve is considered an "indie rep" or not either.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I don't think he'd care as much about that distinction as much as we do.

And by "we" I mean the fanbase, because I don't really care if Steve is considered an "indie rep" or not either.
It wouldn't matter much for viability of other indie reps anyway - not when Minecraft is bigger than every AAA game out there.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just suffered through an insane losing streak just to now get back a little of what I lost in GSP and made it back to Elite Smash.

PSA I will never like people who main Peach

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Looking at this leak in more detail, one thing feels fishy: Which is the idea that Nintendo would throw all their eggs in one basket by revealing the entire Fighter's Pass by E3. Yes I know Sakurai said that the DLC will be completed/out by Feb 2020, but assuming this is real: Does he/Nintendo expect fans to be patient enough to wait for gameplay/release dates of these characters? I'd like to imagine Nintendo would space out these DLC reveals to generate hype but who knows really.

There's also the claim that P5R will be out early 2019, yet new info on it will only be out at March. I know ATLUS is on a milking-spree with P5 (especially with the dancing game and PQ2 just last year), but I don't know if they worked THAT fast.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i just realised you can trigger lloid mines early and now my enjoyment of isabelle has increased tenfold

osby

Smash Obsessed
Looking at this leak in more detail, one thing feels fishy: Which is the idea that Nintendo would throw all their eggs in one basket by revealing the entire Fighter's Pass by E3. Yes I know Sakurai said that the DLC will be completed/out by Feb 2020, but assuming this is real: Does he/Nintendo expect fans to be patient enough to wait for gameplay/release dates of these characters? I'd like to imagine Nintendo would space out these DLC reveals to generate hype but who knows really.
Not that I think revealing everyone in one go is likely but I think we as a fanbase should have learned Smash promotion is not a hype generating machine at this point.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Not that I think revealing everyone in one go is likely but I think we as a fanbase should have learned Smash promotion is not a hype generating machine at this point.
no you don't understand they'll reveal DLC fighters 3-30 all in one go at e3 and it'll be as big a moment as everyone is here i swear because sakurai always lies to us to lower our expectations

anyway here's why waluigi still has a chance

KMDP

Smash Legend
How much longer till the "too early for tier lists" point hold out? :yoshi:
Well....
Until we get our last DLC character.
...Yes, that, but...

Tier lists will be able to be adequately made after a few notable tournaments have taken place to get a general idea of how well characters actually do in the field.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I think it could be real but I dont want to put my eggs into the basket incase its fake

TLDR;
Erdrick's been heavily implied to be "Brave" in the files, we've had a SE character rumored for the longest
Steve is another character that's been rumored for the longest time, Minecraft is very popular in Japan as well
Ryu Hayabusa is one of the classic NES characters and the Ninja Gaiden series is favored in the west mostly
Doom is the grandpa of first person shooters, Doom Eternal is coming to Switch and is mostly a western pick

I know that all of the rumored Grinch leak characters had plausibility behind them too, but given that Nintendo chose the DLC I can see all of these being likely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom