• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Then the damn Virtual Console rereleases also should've done it. If not, the GBA remakes before. Being released on GBA, Wii VC, 3DS VC and Wii U VC is already a great deal. As well as being one of the consistent most popular games.

It's QUITE damn hard to be a loyal Smash fan and missing out on Donkey Kong Country honestly...
I could say the same about any game so why do you expect every Smash fan to have played DKC?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could say the same about any game so why do you expect every Smash fan to have played DKC?
Not every, but most. For one, it revolutionized platform gaming and the way 3D graphics where made for example. It was highly marketed, promoted, had several rereleases, in general just as hard to miss as say, Zelda Ocarina of Time.

D

Deleted member

Funnily enough, I've never finished a classic DKC aside from DKC2, and DKC2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, I still wish we would get a goshdarn VC for Switch. Reggie please reconsider..

D

Deleted member

Not every, but most. For one, it revolutionized platform gaming and the way 3D graphics where made for example. It was highly marketed, promoted, had several rereleases, in general just as hard to miss as say, Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Again, I could say the same about any game but you'd just deny it. If your point is that K.Rool is iconic or well-known, you're lying to yourself.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I can't believe "too many Ninjas" is next. We'll only have too many when Naruto is added.
It's nothing against ninjas personally, I'd just rather see another archetype filled in before we triple dip into the ninja pool.

Also, a third ninja would mean there's more ninjas than pirates on the roster. As a proud man of the sea, I don't want to accept space pirates to maintain pirate dominance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think you meant "3D graphics were made".

MintMaestro

Smash Rookie
Also, I still wish we would get a goshdarn VC for Switch. Reggie please reconsider..
I wish, but I firmly believe that Nintendo's pretty set in their ways. They've been better about it lately, I guess, but I don't think they're gonna change the new system. I guess it is what it is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's nothing against ninjas personally, I'd just rather see another archetype filled in before we triple dip into the ninja pool.

Also, a third ninja would mean there's more ninjas than pirates on the roster. As a proud man of the sea, I don't want to accept space pirates to maintain pirate dominance.
I think we "triple-dipped" a lot of archetypes: Princesses, knights, giant evil reptiles, cute animals etc.

Some character types are simple more common than the others.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funnily enough, I've never finished a classic DKC aside from DKC2, and DKC2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Finished, means you did play the others. And probably knew that K.Rool was the boss.
Again, I could say the same about any game but you'd just deny it. If your point is that K.Rool is iconic or well-known, you're lying to yourself.
But K.Rool IS well known. At least amongst Nintendo fans, you know, the target audience of Nintendo’s greatest crossover?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think we "triple-dipped" a lot of archetypes: Princesses, knights, giant evil reptiles, cute animals etc.

Some character types are simple more common than the others.
I'm fine with having multiple characters who fulfill the same archetype, provided they do something different with their moveset. Peach and Zelda may both be princesses, but one focuses on traditional femininity while the other focuses on magic. Likewise, Bowser, K. Rool, and Ridley are all giant evil reptiles, but one is a bruiser based around raw strength, one is a goofball based around gadgets and cartoony movements, while one is a psychopath based around brutality and bait-and-switch fighting.

I'm not entirely sure how different Ryu would be from the other ninjas, would already specialize in fast yet weak attacks, a strong projectile game, and teleportation. I'm hoping if Ryu gets in, they put a heavy emphasis on his katana, with the other ninja qualities taking a backseat.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Okay but I'd argue that Crash is at least twice as important than Hayabusa
Hayabusa was one of the original tough-as-nails platformers (and introduced plot*gasp* to platformers) and then he was the character synonymous with difficult games until Dark Souls took his spot. (Bonus: he's a ninja and ninjas a cool)

D

Deleted member

Question: Would Steve be considered the first playable indie character as that's how he started or would the fact he's owned by the complete opposite negate that?
Honestly, I wouldn't say Steve would be the first "indie" character, and more so another third-party like the rest of the guys like Crash Bandicoot and so forth. Whenever we talk about which indies we want, like say for example, Sans from Undertale, the ship is still running by Toby Fox and him alone.

So when I see Minecraft being "indie", while at first it definitely was, I don't really see it that way at all when it's bought out by a company. Loses that whole "indie" aspect.

I would say if we're talking about who're the two best runner ups for "Indie Characters", it's either an Undertale character or Reimu Hakurei from Touhou.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Hayabusa was one of the original tough-as-nails platformers (and introduced plot*gasp* to platformers) and then he was the character synonymous with difficult games until Dark Souls took his spot. (Bonus: he's a ninja and ninjas a cool)
This.

Ask any thirty something about Ninja Gaiden and they'll tell you all about how they threw their controller out the window because of them damn birds.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I see we talking trash on other 3rd parties now

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Actually, I specifically talked up Hayabusa (who I'm not campaigning for) and managed to avoid dissing Crash somehow.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

the fact that a worthless character like Shantae got an online profile icon and a gaming legend like Rayman didn't is really stupid

Pakky

Smash Hero
the fact that a worthless character like Shantae got an online profile icon and a gaming legend like Rayman didn't is really stupid
HEY NOW DON'T BE MEAN >:O

But its weird that Rayman just got pooped on in this game. No 3D model, nothing but a jpeg, weird.

I really wonder if Spirit= Not on roster?

Like when its the actual character and not a form or something.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

But its weird that Rayman just got pooped on in this game. No 3D model, nothing but a jpeg, weird.

Sometimes I wish we could go back in time and give Sakurai the finished build early so we could have EVEN MORE CONTENT!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shantae is worthless compared to Rayman, don't deny it

Pakky

Smash Hero
Shantae is worthless compared to Rayman, don't deny it
Well I wouldn't say worthless as she has been a constant presence with Nintendo specifically for a few years now.

Rayman is the bigger icon no doubt and has been with Nintendo for a LONG time.

Now when it comes to Smash there are a few things to consider.

-Who would have the more interesting move set?

- Who would incite more of a fan response?

and a bunch of other things that are subjective and or I do not know.

If you ask me I'm torn between the two.

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I want to get to the point where we have too many gaming icons and too many awesome looking characters.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

It seems kind of obvious that that is the case, I mean spirits are supposed to be a consolation prize for not getting the character you wanted in a playable role.

And that makes me kinda sad, honestly I still findbit hard to believe that the one character in my wishlist that i thought was imposibke made it as DLC while the ones I felt had a legitimate chance ended up as spirits. It's weird.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

But if we count Ridley, we could have a Smashdown match with three Pirates vs Ninja's

:ulttoonlink::ultridley::ultkrool:
:ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultryu:(just pretend he's the other Ryu)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It seems kind of obvious that that is the case, I mean spirits are supposed to be a consolation prize for not getting the character you wanted in a playable role.
Ironically this and Assist Trophies actually do the opposite now that DLC is a thing. It worked in Brawl, but ever sense then all it does is make people angry because they COULD have been DLC. I still think they should have done that with Shovel Knight and saved him.

But if we count Ridley, we could have a Smashdown match with three Pirates vs Ninja's

:ulttoonlink::ultridley::ultkrool:
:ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultryu:(just pretend he's the other Ryu)
How is Toon Link a pirate. I’ve been on a boat before. Does that make me a pirate.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean that's what I've been thinking.

So if there's something REALLY obvious absent from the Spirit list say like :ultpiranha: or Porky (who has a loads of stuff related to him that's just not in the game as well as Giygas… who is one of the main antagonist of MOTHER that Porky kinda ends being like in 3) , I'd be watchful.

Which is why I think there might be a season 2 of DLC maybe even a season 3 but I'm more confident in a season 2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Finished, means you did play the others. And probably knew that K.Rool was the boss.

But K.Rool IS well known. At least amongst Nintendo fans, you know, the target audience of Nintendo’s greatest crossover?
I wasn't really partaking in the argument at hand, just giving my aside statement cause I like DKC2 a lot and I wanted to talk a little about it. And I mean, from my perspective it's kinda obvious I'd know K.Rool since he's also the final boss of DKC2.

But as for how recognizable he is, I agree with you. Yeah he has a pretty large presence, even in his worst years where he was allocated to a side character in baseball games or as a main antagonist for some dumb climbing games.

That said, if you were a very young and new Nintendo fan, his lacking presence in the mainline games (both DK and Mario) as well as several spinoffs could diminish the chances for those very new fans to recognize him. That's the main scenario I can think of anyway.

It doesn't matter that much anyway since he's in and pretty universally liked by the general smash audience tbh.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean it's still too early to say. We only have 1 DLC character confirmed so far.
But I rather not go into another 3 page debate on the topic... again.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ironically this and Assist Trophies actually do the opposite now that DLC is a thing. It worked in Brawl, but ever sense then all it does is make people angry because they COULD have been DLC. I still think they should have done that with Shovel Knight and saved him.

How is Toon Link a pirate. I’ve been on a boat before. Does that make me a pirate.
Yeah, I'm not a Shovel knight fan but I feel like they should have saved him for DLC, kinda feels like they wanted to have him playable but chickened out given how his game has quite a few spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom