• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Aside from 8 players the only other modes from Smash 4 I'd want back is Smash Run, Master Orders and Crazy Orders.

@Godzillathewonderdog
I'd argue the first Golden Sun did get just as much praise as Xenoblade 1, seeing how it got such a high amount of good reviews from critics and scored really close to Xenoblade 1 on Metacritic and GameRankings. Not to mention sites like IGN, Gamesradar and Nintendo Power list it as one of the best games on the GBA.

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
My friends are situated within ISIL during the time since 2016. It is situated at Disney, something similar to Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

I am really anticipating E3, because that will finally be the time we get Smash news.
The thing is, it can either be big news, or little news. But any news will spark up some excitement.
May be an unpopular opinion...

But I think 8 player smash is worth more than the Ice Climbers.

Ideally we get both but...

I'd rather we keep 8 player smash.
As a person who plays 8 player smash in a lot of events ( because a lot of people are there in the event ), I agree.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd like to think the Switch is capable of running 16 characters but it's hard to say.

It's always the strangest things that tax games. Pokemon isn't a bad looking game by any stretch of the imagination but I find it hard to fathom that having more than 3 on screen makes 3D play impossible, yet that's how it is.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regarding to 8 Player Smash, I think the main thing that would greatly help the mode is to actually drop resolution, giving the mode more leeway when processing so much information at once.

For context, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U runs at a native 1080p, notably being one of the few Wii U games that runs at a native 1080p resolution. It is always at that resolution regardless of the mode, even in 8 player Smash. Likely the Nintendo Switch Smash game will similarly be at 1080p, especially since the hardware is technically stronger than a Wii U and isn't gimped by the GamePad. However, if push comes to shove, they can implement a dynamic resolution feature where the resolution fluctuates depending on the situation, saving on processing power. This means that at the cost of picture clarity, less details will be lost during an 8 Player Smash match overall, possibly even allowing for the hypothetical 16 Ice Climbers matches to be possible.

Granted I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes so it's very possible I could be wrong, but I do at least see an obvious technique that will help with the 8 Player Smash problem.

Actually the fact the last game doesn't do this technique is impressive in it's own right.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think it's just better to not let them be in that mode than to remove it. I feel both parts are good.

This isn't the same case as "not on both rosters" either. We know for a fact that characters can be cut from modes. It's not an issue. Mii Fighters are not available for With Anyone(Online), and if I remember right, certain event matches don't allow them even though it allows other options. But regardless, see my first example anyway.
If it has to come to that, this is the option that will upset the least amount of people.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don’t think Ice Climbers prevent 8 player Smash anymore than Rosalina/Luma does.
The only concern that I could see is that Luma is a simpler model than Popo or Nana, which seems like it would make a difference - Wii Fit Trainer had to lose some joints in her fingers for 8-Player Smash. (Her thumbs-up victory animation differs between a regular match and an eight player match)

Still, that was the Wii U; the Switch is more likely to be able to handle that properly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd like to think the Switch is capable of running 16 characters but it's hard to say.

It's always the strangest things that tax games. Pokemon isn't a bad looking game by any stretch of the imagination but I find it hard to fathom that having more than 3 on screen makes 3D play impossible, yet that's how it is.
That's because the models are way too high poly than they reasonably should be for a 3DS game. They most likely did that to keep the models future proof for future gen consoles and only need to update the textures. That way they don't have to remake all the models every generation.

Perhaps they may have to lower the polygons and bones a bit for the Ice Climbers to work better on 8 Player Smash. Maybe even do like what they did for Smash 3DS and have them be low poly when in gameplay but replace their models with higher poly versions when the game is paused and all....

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It's very likely that because the 3DS suffered from performance issues during triple battles and rotation battles in the 6th generation titles, those two battle formats were removed from the 7th generation.

With that said, the main issue with having Ice Climbers and 8-player Smash at the same time is knowing if you can have 8 sets of Ice Climbers present without suffering from performance issues. If performance issues still occur, then something will have to get the boot.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I'm still hopeful for the Ice Climbers even with gameplay concerns as even if the Switch is only marginally more powerful than the WiiU then at least it's less of a hurdle to climb.

WiiU: Slowdown and possibly no 8-player for IC
3DS: WHY WOULD DO THIS TO ME?!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm curious to know how many people would be okay if the Ice Climbers were revamped like Sheik/ZZS/Charizard? Such as having Nana only appear for certain attacks/taunts and re-balancing Popo's regular moveset/stats.

They wouldn't be unique anymore but they'd be significantly less time consuming for the developers, easier to balance, and wouldn't cause as many issues in the various game/online modes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since it's been pretty quiet lately, I thought I'd ask another question to stimulate some conversation.

So in Smash 4, only four franchises that were already represented on the roster got newcomers. These four franchises were Super Mario (:rosalina::4bowserjr:), Pokemon (:4greninja:), Fire Emblem (:4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:), and Kid Icurus (:4palutena::4darkpit:). Assuming the same thing were to somehow happen again in this Smash game, tell me the four franchises you'd expect to get newcomers from, and then tell me the four franchises you'd want to get newcomers from.

As an example, here's mine.

Expect: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Xenoblade
Want: DK, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious to know how many people would be okay if the Ice Climbers were revamped like Sheik/ZZS/Charizard? Such as having Nana only appear for certain attacks/taunts and re-balancing Popo's regular moveset/stats.

They wouldn't be unique anymore but they'd be significantly less time consuming for the developers, easier to balance, and wouldn't cause as many issues in the various game/online modes.
It'd be really disappointing, but it's nothing that'd stop me from getting the game or trying the new version of the characters out.

Since it's been pretty quiet lately, I thought I'd ask another question to stimulate some conversation.

So in Smash 4, only four franchises that were already represented on the roster got newcomers. These franchises were Super Mario (:rosalina::4bowserjr:), Pokemon (:4greninja:), Fire Emblem (:4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:), and Kid Icurus (:4palutena::4darkpit:). Assuming the same thing were to somehow happen again in this Smash game, tell me the four franchises you'd expect to get newcomers from, and then tell me the four franchises you'd want to get newcomers from.

Expect: Mario, Pokemon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem
Want: Zelda, Mother, Metroid, Animal Crossing

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325

Personally I'd rather them stay cut if that were to happen, them being a tag team is what made them unique and fun to play as and taking that away from them would be disappointing.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

So in Smash 4, only four franchises that were already represented on the roster got newcomers. These four franchises were Super Mario (:rosalina::4bowserjr:), Pokemon (:4greninja:), Fire Emblem (:4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:), and Kid Icurus (:4palutena::4darkpit:). Assuming the same thing were to somehow happen again in this Smash game, tell me the four franchises you'd expect to get newcomers from, and then tell me the four franchises you'd want to get newcomers from.

Expect: Pokémon, Xenoblade, Mario, DK
Want: Zelda, Xenoblade, Metroid, Kirby

I don't necessarily expect a Zelda newcomer, but I do expect revamps of at least Link and Zelda. It would be awesome if we got another Zelda character, but I think it is unlikely.

Xenoblade is something I both expect and want, be it XCX, XC2 or both (both would be amazing!). Metroid is the dream dragon getting in and Kirby just needs one more character, screw Sakurai bias.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That game's version of the Fire Emblem theme is just so ridleyculous that I can't help but chuckle at it.
I wouldn't call Tokyo Mirage Sessions a great game by any sense of the word. I would call it a fun game however, since most of the premise and scenarios are so off the wall I found myself continuing to play just to see where exactly they were going with the whole thing in general. It is just so cheesy and so caught up in the Japanese Idol aesthetic that it was a amusing experience. Frankly, it's one of those games you enjoy more if you simply just don't take the premise overly seriously and just let the whole thing play out.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I'd be upset if 8 player Smash gets cut but for rather stupid reasons. I like the chaos it s when we are playing it and even enjoy just watching fights as one would watch some tv. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's because the models are way too high poly than they reasonably should be for a 3DS game. They most likely did that to keep the models future proof for future gen consoles and only need to update the textures. That way they don't have to remake all the models every generation.
That explains why they look so good on emulators... I thought it was a custom rendering setting that was going about.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Expect: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Kirby, Xenoblade
Want: METROID, Zelda, Mother, Pokemon

I don't like this game :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Considering that Smash 3DS / Wii U added the grab immunity period upon being released, the Ice Climbers do lose one of the cheapest tactics for taking away stock lives. But it is rather ironic how a fighter who has a rather poor grab range would become so infamous for doing grab infinites.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Expect: Mario, Pokémon, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing
Want: Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby

Actually tbf I wouldn't mind seeing Elma or Isabelle but I'm assuming we're only allowed four wants.

I always want more Mario, HW opened my eyes for Zelda, DK is overdue, Kirby is close to modern day completion. Weirdly uninterested in a Pokémon newcomer for the first time ever.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Expect: Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade - Pokemon seems obvious, they'll probably cram another Fire Emblem character in there, I could see them adding another Mario character (Captain Toad in particular, seeing as his game is on three different systems), and Xenoblade has two releases to draw from on top of the original game

Want: Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda, Xenoblade - the first three are long overdue for newcomers at this point, and there's a lot to work with for a Xenoblade character

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I expect DK, Xenoblade, Pokemon, Mario, kirby and animal crossing will all get reps tbh

And I want Zelda and Metroid reps even tho it probably won't happen

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That explains why they look so good on emulators... I thought it was a custom rendering setting that was going about.
They have been reusing those models for a long time now, I think the first time they used them was in Pokedex 3D or Pokepark Wii. They are even used for Pokemon Go and they will most likely use them again for Pokemon Switch.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Just want put out one last reminder: I will be collecting stage ideas for my upcoming Smash Switch Stage Survey for only one more week!
Head over to the Google Form and suggest as many stage ideas as you'd like. The more suggestions I get, the better I can refine the survey. If you've already filled out the form earlier, feel free to suggest some more!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I wouldn't hate it, but it's not the direction I hope they go in. I'd take it over them not being included in a heartbeat, though.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

You know I thought about this, but I thought about why didn't they do this for Smash Wii U/3DS? If Sakurai wanted them that way why didn't he just put in Popo with a Nana alt? I don't see it happening. Sakurai also stated that another reason they didn't make it was they weren't high enough priority, so unless they come back as intended (which I think they totally can on the Switch) than I don't think they will at all.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So it seems like most people agree with...

Expect: Mario, Pokemon, Xenoblade
Want: Zelda, Metroid.

The reason I asked this question is because I wanted to compare and contrast the franchises we expect to get repped vs the franchises we actually want to get repped. Sadly, it seems like a majority of us have very little faith in the franchises we want to see the most, and I feel like this is largely in part of Smash 4's final roster. Very few of the characters we predicted from pre-existing Smash franchises actually made it onto the roster, and I can't help but feel like this has created a "expect to not get what you want" attitude. It's great that people are being cautious with their predictions and all, but I don't remember this level of pessimism with Brawl or Smash 4's pre-Gematsu speculation.

I don't know. Just seems like the narrative has changed over the course of different Smash games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Personally I want Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Pokémon but I expect Kirby, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Expect: Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade
Want: Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario
:p

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

The reason I asked this question is because I wanted to compare and contrast the franchises we expect to get repped vs the franchises we actually want to get repped. Sadly, it seems like a majority of us have very little faith in the franchises we want to see the most, and I feel like this is largely in part of Smash 4's final roster. Very few of the characters we predicted from pre-existing Smash franchises actually made it onto the roster, and I can't help but feel like this has created a "expect to not get what you want" attitude. It's great that people are being cautious with their predictions and all, but I don't remember this level of pessimism with Brawl or Smash 4's pre-Gematsu speculation.

I don't know. Just seems like the narrative has changed over the course of different Smash games.
I agree with people having very safe predictions, apologizing for asking for "too much" and also shaming others for "unrealistic" rosters. Besides the roster threads and speculation every now and then I tend to not talk about characters I want too much because I know it'll get shot down quick lol.

But as for Zelda and Metroid, they're both in really specific situations. Zelda is the, there's too many one off characters to choose from and everyone wants a different one off and so because there's no consensus everyone assumes there's no chance their character will get in. Metroid is the opposite where there is really only 1 character that makes sense (well there's Dark Samus too..) and they have a huge fan following that wants them in but they are also the only wanted newcomer that has been publically shot down by Sakurai several times. So yeah, I agree people are lowering expectations, but both of those series are in their own special boat lol.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

expect: mario, pokemon, fire emblem, and yeah probably xenoblade
want: zelda, star fox, metroid, pokemon

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Ironically enough, people are far more optimistic about a no-cut scenario than they were before.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Considering that Smash 3DS / Wii U added the grab immunity period upon being released, the Ice Climbers do lose one of the cheapest tactics for taking away stock lives. But it is rather ironic how a fighter who has a rather poor grab range would become so infamous for doing grab infinites.
Most people overlook the fact that Ice Climbers were also able to abuse footstool set ups/jab resets.

It wouldn't be obviously 1:1 but I doubt that Ice Climber players wouldn't adapt/find new ways of optimizing the character(s) new playstyle.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Expect: Mario, Pokemon
Want: Metroid, DK, Kirby

I'm really not sure there are any shoe-in franchises this time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note, I had a couple friends over and pulled out Smash 4 last night to help manage the hype, and it was so great to be playing it again :) The level creator is as bad as I remembered unfortunately, but the roster is still amazing for the most part. Excited to see how 5 tries to top it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom