• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I just realized, remember when during the mid-2000's (Or earlier) and a bit later, some games play like entirely different games depending of what system your playing on?
Any examples?
A bit earlier than the mid-2000s but Rayman 2 on N64 and Playstation/Playstation 2 were basically the same game, but had a handful of different levels. I know the N64 had an exclusive level. Plus different hubworlds. It was weird.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Any examples?
One thing that comes to mind is that the PC versions of Spongebob games were waaaaay different from the console versions (as was just mentioned but I’ll add more detail.) They all had this style where the backgrounds were 2D and only the characters and certain important objects were 3D, and they were played mostly with the mouse.
Like, Battle for Bikini Bottom on console was a collectathon platformer, while on PC it was a bunch of miscellaneous minigames. The Movie Game and Lights, Camera, Pants! on console were a 3D platformer and a minigame collection respectively, while on PC they were both point and click adventures.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Watch that we do get Banjo-Kazooie but its the Nuts & Bolts design.:troll:
Sakurai would’ve dropped :ultpacman: if he wasn’t allowed to use his classic design over his Ghostly Adventures design, I think we’ll be fine on that front.

TBH I don’t care for the GA design or N&B design for those characters, I think they’re pretty ugly.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What is the one thing that made you really scared from just looking at them for a single bit from your childhood.
For me, it was on the PS2 ver. of Jimmy Neutron (Based on the first movie), where in the second level that starts on Jimmy's lab, if you jump off the metal bridge into the main room, and go on the right side, you see ants, that are big, and they're f**king horrifying, I can't even sleep at night without thinking about it, the worst part is you have to go into their sand lair to get one of the parts so you can complete the level.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, I've been Marthing it up for two weeks now and I can't help but feel sometimes "Man, that totally woulda killed if I was Lucina."

That said, it is balanced out by that one "hnnnnnnng tipper killed him at 60%"

Shroob

Sup?
You misunderstand my point.

My point was that there are fans that act like a Western character's popularity is universal when its primarily only the West and they are either not popular or even known in Japan or they don't consider that popularity might only be the case in one region.

That said, I also think there's a difference between 1st/2nd Party characters and 3rd Party characters for this. I honestly don't think Nintendo would choose a 3rd Party character only popular in one region (the West or Japan) but rather popular in both regions, which they have thus far since all 3rd Party characters are popular in all regions in some fashion, even if it may tip in one direction or the other.
Dragon Quest may be much, much more popular in Japan, but its still a well known and semi-popular series (which honestly grew quite a bit following DQ8 and especially DQXI) in the West as well while Doom, to my knowledge, isn't that well known, or at least not a big name, in Japan.
By this same logic though, if they were taking both countries into account and trying a balancing act:

Why would they pick Erdrick over 8?

Erdrick may be the Cloud of his series, but that's only in Japan, because I'd wager everyone outside of Japan considers 8 'their' DQ hero.

Erdrick is the famous hero in Japan, in the rest of the world it's 8.

No matter how you look at it, the Dragon Quest representation with Erdrick(And Luminary as an alt skin), is heavily pandering moreso towards a Japanese audience than an American one.

Taking this into consideration, I don't see why a Western 3rd party to 'even things out' would be that crazy.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
By this same logic though, if they were taking both countries into account and trying a balancing act:

Erdrick may be the Cloud of his series, but that's only in Japan, because I'd wager everyone outside of Japan considers 8 'their' DQ hero.
At the very least, I'd hope for Eight to be a Mii costume.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Erdrick is the famous hero in Japan, in the rest of the world it's 8.

No matter how you look at it, the Dragon Quest representation with Erdrick(And Luminary as an alt skin), is heavily pandering moreso towards a Japanese audience than an American one.
Because there's no middle ground on this one. Its either Erdrick or its Eight and Erdrick/Loto has more relevance to the series as a whole, being mentioned in the 1st game, having Armor and Weapons in several games, etc. Yes, Eight has armor in XI, but that's about it.

For this instance, its more about the series representation then it is character representation. As has been pointed out, there is no 'Cloud' for Dragon Quest, so they have to pick one or the other and, being Japanese, they'll probably go with the Japanese viewpoint.

Granted, they did do that already by picking Simon as the 'main' representative for Castlevania and Richter as the 'echo' since Simon is more popular in the West while Richter is more popular in Japan.
They could honestly do this here as well, nothing says they can't include Echoes as DLC characters not part of the Fighter Pass considering we already know Piranha Plant is one of those.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Granted, they did do that already by picking Simon as the 'main' representative for Castlevania and Richter as the 'echo' since Simon is more popular in the West while Richter is more popular in Japan.
Or it's probably because Simon's the first one and like Marth he gets top billing.

Shroob

Sup?
Because there's no middle ground on this one. Its either Erdrick or its Eight and Erdrick/Loto has more relevance to the series as a whole, being mentioned in the 1st game, having Armor and Weapons in several games, etc. Yes, Eight has armor in XI, but that's about it.

For this instance, its more about the series representation then it is character representation. As has been pointed out, there is no 'Cloud' for Dragon Quest, so they have to pick one or the other and, being Japanese, they'll probably go with the Japanese viewpoint.

They could honestly do this here as well, nothing says they can't include Echoes as DLC characters not part of the Fighter Pass considering we already know Piranha Plant is one of those.
Okay am I reading this last line wrong or.....?

Shroob

Sup?
Remember the days we thought Katalina would get in Smash? Weird times.

If Fate wasn't soo Xenophobic, I'd honestly say it would have had a shot

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Remember the days we thought Katalina would get in Smash? Weird times.

If Fate wasn't soo Xenophobic, I'd honestly say it would have had a shot
Definitely a bandwagon, Hitagi’s BS was the reason she was ever brought up.

inb4 people say they’ve always unironically wanted her

Shroob

Sup?
Definitely a bandwagon, Hitagi’s BS was the reason she was ever brought up.

inb4 people say they’ve always unironically wanted her
I mean I actually play the game so I was tickled pink by the surge of random discussion lol

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
<----------

"Obey your dino god" indeed :yoshi:
I am a free spirit who feels obligation to obey no king nor god.

I'm pretty cooperative if you ask nicely though. Just none of that bossy "divine command" nonsense.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
There was a moderate reason to it. Aside from Inkling, it was chronological.

:ultridley: - August 1986
:ultsimon: - September 1986
:ultkrool: - November 1994
:ultisabelle: - November 2012
:ultincineroar: - November 2016

Not saying it was a good order, but there was a reason.
The Inkling spits in the face of this theory.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
[obscure character rumored for smash]

SB: Ewww! This isn't my Banjo Kazooie! Out!

[obscure character debunked]

SB: Awww! I would've loved to see them playable! :^(

Like clockwork. :smirk:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So can anyone clarify which's true?
-Data miners and some web sites state that the total number of music pieces are 1034! Is this really true?
-Data miners on an early stage of mining said the total number of videos in Smash were 17! Is that also true?
I almost done everything in the game (almost), and there seem no truth to either!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Or it's probably because Simon's the first one and like Marth he gets top billing.
Yeah, though they could have also just not had him at all and just had Richter.
Granted, it still works for my point that they could have Erdrick and then have Eight as an Echo.
Okay am I reading this last line wrong or.....?
Sorry, I worded that poorly, it made sense in my head..
I meant in regards to DLC characters that weren't part of the Fighter Pass, I could see Echo Fighter DLC characters being cheaper characters that weren't part of a pass.

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayabusa would be one more character in Smash that canonically knows the AVGN, alongside R.O.B.

D

Deleted member

Bit off-topic, but does anyone know if a Hatsune Ganon has been done with ‘Dorf’s new Ultimate voiceclips?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In one of the scenes with Luca, he says that if he died it'd break the hearts of maidens everywhere and drops some names

Claire, Trish, Silvia and Ammy
Okay. We can look at this two ways. One, Amaterasu is a god. She could probably assume a human form.

Or. Those characters probably don’t exist in Bayos world, so the characters Luka’s talking about are most likely humans who share the names of these characters.

Actually iirc all the names Luca mentioned are actual pet dogs he has according to an artbook. Him just using his dog's names as a cheaty way to make himself sound better. lol
Or that.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't seriously expect one of you guys to get me a ps3.
ahahaha
but I do
Someone get me a PS3 /s
Actually iirc all the names Luca mentioned are actual pet dogs he has according to an artbook. Him just using his dog's names as a cheaty way to make himself sound better. lol
Luca looks like the type of man that would do that, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom