• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The elemental thing was really just a workaround sp Richter could have blue fire. It's supposed to be fire in Castlevania and not "aura" or "magic".
Had it been intentional, they would have mentioned and advertised it much like every other Echo Fighter difference was instead they simply focused on the color and pretended it was really fire ingame.
Dark Samus has unadvertised gameplay differences due to elemental types as well. To call it unintentional would imply Sakurai doesn't know what the elemental types in his own game do.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So basically, Echoes of surviving characters can keep their own slots in a 25 character roster. That's what you're saying, right? I feel like that would still bring out the stupidest of people though, haha. Imagine still having Samus, Peach, Marth, and Pit in that roster, but Dark Samus, Daisy, Lucina, and Dark Pit are included and some people view the roster size as 29 characters with 4 of them "taking spots" from other characters.
It's not like it doesn't happen in every game since Melee Dark Pit stole the slot of Ridley

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'm doing it until Jan 6th, keeping my promise.

Every time I see my own posts I do feel a little ill :hulk:
I've only been 5% here honestly what promise was that? Didn't even have time to change profile pic..

Edit: There we go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we want to make BOTW Link as accurate as possible, the idea of the OoT and TP suits being skins for him isn't so out of place.

You can actually wear them in BoTW, and it fits well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Dark Samus has unadvertised gameplay differences due to elemental types as well. To call it unintentional would imply Sakurai doesn't know what the elemental types in his own game do.
Again, same concept. Unless you're telling me it was intentional to give her a better Up Smash and roll with no downsides.
The gameplay differences are just side effects of using different animations or visual effects that have properties attached to them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we want to make BOTW Link as accurate, the idea of the OoT and TP suits being skins for him isn't so out of place.

You can wear them in Smash already, what you said doesn't make any sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If we want to make BOTW Link as accurate as possible, the idea of the OoT and TP suits being skins for him isn't so out of place.

If you want to make Link accurate to BotW you need it to constantly rain whenever he appears which makes people slip off of the edge when they try to grab it

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
For some reason I remember a few of memoryman's alts going on about how Daisy was going to be the most unique echo ever on gamefaqs. Now knowing she is the cloniest clone in clonetown I would normally feel bad for them but they have been infesting that site for years and I feel no remorse for thinking they are an annoying idiot.

..........wut? You are arguing that since they wanted him to have blue fire that instead of doing the insanely easy thing of recoloring the flames that they decided to change its damage type instead? How does that even begin to make sense to you?
Isn't it a rule to not talk about banned people

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Dark Samus, Lucina and Daisy should not be cut imo.
Nah, I wasn't suggesting that. Quite the opposite, actually. What I meant was that by keeping the originals in a more conservative roster, you'd have to include the clones as well. By keeping them, you'd have idiots acting like the roster could have had 29 fully-unique characters as opposed to how the hypothetical advertises it as a 25-character roster (the clones are essentially "low-effort" bonuses).

It's not like it doesn't happen in every game since Melee Dark Pit stole the slot of Ridley
Nothing compares to the time Etika thought Sakurai gave him a shout-out in Ridley's reveal trailer. Absolutely l m a o.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The actual clothes, not a pallette swap.
But you said "You can actually wear them". Smash versions are taken from BotW. He's already accurate.

Nothing compares to the time Etika thought Sakurai gave him a shout-out in Ridley's reveal trailer. Absolutely l m a o.
I actually had no idea about this, are you serious?

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Again, same concept. Unless you're telling me it was intentional to give her a better Up Smash and roll with no downsides.
The gameplay differences are just side effects of using different animations or visual effects that have properties attached to them.
That again doesn't make a lick of sense. If they wanted it to just look different they would have just recolored it. There's no need to change anything with how the attack works if the change is supposed to be entirely visual.
Not only does it just not make sense to do it actually creates more work as instead of doing a retexture they would have to change how the character itself is working to do that.

Isn't it a rule to not talk about banned people
Are they banned here? Im not aware of their status on this site

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I actually had no idea about this, are you serious?
I wish I was joking.

If you want to make Link accurate to BotW you need it to constantly rain whenever he appears which makes people slip off of the edge when they try to grab it
Can we have lightning strike indoors as well? All metal-based characters are instantly bottom-tier in the MU.

...Wait, nvm. 3 of my Mains wear metal, and the Pikas would be even more obnoxious with Link around. ABORT! ABORT!

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wish I was joking.

Can we have lightning strike indoors as well? All metal-based characters are instantly bottom-tier in the MU.

...Wait, nvm. 3 of my Mains wear metal, and the Pikas would be even more obnoxious with Link around. ABORT! ABORT!
Sneakstrikes would be dumb, tedious, yet satisfying to get.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm doing it until Jan 6th, keeping my promise.

Every time I see my own posts I do feel a little ill :hulk:
I warned you man. I warned you.
Never underestimate the chance of a surprise reveal.

Nah, I wasn't suggesting that. Quite the opposite, actually. What I meant was that by keeping the originals in a more conservative roster, you'd have to include the clones as well. By keeping them, you'd have idiots acting like the roster could have had 29 fully-unique characters as opposed to how the hypothetical advertises it as a 25-character roster (the clones are essentially "low-effort" bonuses).

Yep. That’s Etika alright.
Kind of wished he actually did a live reaction to the Joker teaser; he would’ve lost it.

D

Deleted member

Since when having different designs is timeline nonsense?
I blame comic books for that way of thinking.

Just look at the many realities and earths created by Marvel and DC, each having to change the designs of the characters most of the time.

Big /S

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
How come Little Mac’s classic route doesn’t involve fighting a bunch of giant opponents?
Because the inconsistent scaling in Smash already plays with size differences well enough.

...Now I just realized there's room for more unique content in a sequel. Closed-forms of stages for stamina mode, anyone? I tried doing something like that in Smash Wii U's stage creator, but the inability to place the spawn points made it impossible.

Yep. That’s Etika alright.
Kind of wished he actually did a live reaction to the Joker teaser; he would’ve lost it.
That's a scary thought actually. The guy can punch a shelf and wipe out its entire race. We don't need to find out what else he can break if his excitement levels get any higher.

D

Deleted member

That again doesn't make a lick of sense. If they wanted it to just look different they would have just recolored it. There's no need to change anything with how the attack works if the change is supposed to be entirely visual.
Not only does it just not make sense to do it actually creates more work as instead of doing a retexture they would have to change how the character itself is working to do that.
The effects are preexistong though, which is why Richter uses Aura. It's easier than making a new fire effect.
Dark Samus's electricity is intentional though, the better linking in her UpSmash and FAir are not, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom