• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The new worst part of speculating newcomers is having to think about what they will look like inside Wario's mouth now. I'm not ready for what may happen to Joker.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

TBH...I've accepted Paper Mario's fate.

Nintendo and IS both have made it clear that it doesn't matter what we want; they think Mario & Luigi is good enough, and they're gonna do whatever the heck they want with Paper Mario (assuming CS wasn't the last game, due to it not doing super hot). CS was at least a good game...I mean, it still had a ton of problems, but it was a pretty good game.

Why are all the NPCs still Toad, though.

D

Deleted member

TBH...I've accepted Paper Mario's fate.

Nintendo and IS both have made it clear that it doesn't matter what we want; they think Mario & Luigi is good enough, and they're gonna do whatever the heck they want with Paper Mario (assuming CS wasn't the last game, due to it not doing super hot). CS was at least a good game...I mean, it still had a ton of problems, but it was a pretty good game.

Why are all the NPCs still Toad, though.
Gosh, I just hate the Mario RPG situation.
It does help that we're getting remakes of the older (and better) Mario & Luigi games, but seriously, I just had to skip out on Paper Jam after Color Splash on principle. Even Paper Jam was way too obsessed with dumb Toad NPCs.

I personally had even less fun with Color Splash than Sticker Star... Which says a lot on how I regard that game. And I have no clue what to expect from M&L past the BiS remake.

I guess we'll see when it comes to that. It'd be nice to have another proper Mario RPG sometime soon, because they were the best around.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The new worst thing about speculating newcomers is having to think about what they will look like inside Wario's mouth now. I'm not ready for what may happen to Joker.
Steve's gonna be looking extra chunky

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It does help that we're getting remakes of the older (and better) Mario & Luigi games, but seriously, I just had to skip out on Paper Jam after Color Splash on principle. Even Paper Jam was way too obsessed with dumb Toad NPCs.

I personally had even less fun with Color Splash than Sticker Star... Which says a lot on how I regard that game. And I have no clue what to expect from M&L past the BiS remake.

I guess we'll see when it comes to that. It'd be nice to have another proper Mario RPG sometime soon, because they were the best around.
https://youtu.be/dkv4SSE0Puo

This might give you SOME hope.

D

Deleted member

Unless Tom Kenny is an union voice actor, i wouldn't see a reason to make Spyro sound like a realistic dragon in Smash, so he would be fine in regards to voice.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The new worst part of speculating newcomers is having to think about what they will look like inside Wario's mouth now. I'm not ready for what may happen to Joker.
Whenever a newcomer is added to the game, we get a ton of small animations for sleeping, Special Flag using, ledge balancing, Home-run Bat swinging etc. and it's one of my favorite things about getting DLC characters.

D

Deleted member

I actually thought Dream Team was really good. Only parts I didn't like were the Giant Luigi battles, other than that the game was pretty solid IMO. Porbably my favorite M&L next to BiS. Can't comment on Paper Jam; haven't played it yet, but I'm gonna try it sometime around March or so after I play through BiS again via the remake.

I enjoyed the exploration and writing of CS. Battles were...bad. I can't deny that, they were. I enjoyed them at first, but as time went on, they just got more and more pointless. If you're gonna have a turned based battle system, why not just make it an RPG? Seriously, why is that decision so hard for them?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Unless Tom Kenny is an union voice actor, i wouldn't see a reason to make Spyro sound like a realistic dragon in Smash, so he would be fine in regards to voice.
I’m pretty sure he is union, but like Jess Harnell I imagine him being chill enough to go uncredited like what Pit does. I mean, it’s not like we wouldn’t know it was him anyway

D

Deleted member

That's because I'm expecting another teaser at E3, not a full trailer.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would rather hold on to a full reveal than go to E3 with less than what they'd be showing in Directs.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
With that i refer to something in the level of a Skyrim dragon, not that they are real.
I feel like that'd work out as well as redesigning Bomberman from this
WhiteBomber_Vector01.png

to this:
Bomberman_Act_Zero_US.jpg

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wish that the Advanced Wars assist trophy returned just to have a literal army of them in the stage.
I just want Advance Wars to have some form of representation beyond Spirits period. Even if that means putting back the old Infantry & Tanks AT even though they're not a great representation of the series.

Of course that's not going to happen tho. Just gotta hope for Mii Costumes I guess.

D

Deleted member

to this:
Exactly.
It would be awful.

The worst part is that it almost happened with the Legend Of Spyro series. Thankfully it didn't go that wrong.

They are real

They just happen to live exclusively on Komodo in Indonesia
I wasn't sure about making that joke.

Thanks for doing it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean worse case scenario, they’d probably just recast Kenny with a VA easier to get, I doubt with all the talking he does in his series that they’d resort to “realistic” dragon sounds

D

Deleted member

https://youtu.be/dkv4SSE0Puo

This might give you SOME hope.
Arlo is great and I love his videos, but he ain't no oracle to me. Rather, I'm just glad he feels similar to me on this whole thing.

I actually thought Dream Team was really good. Only parts I didn't like were the Giant Luigi battles, other than that the game was pretty solid IMO. Porbably my favorite M&L next to BiS. Can't comment on Paper Jam; haven't played it yet, but I'm gonna try it sometime around March or so after I play through BiS again via the remake.

I enjoyed the exploration and writing of CS. Battles were...bad. I can't deny that, they were. I enjoyed them at first, but as time went on, they just got more and more pointless. If you're gonna have a turned based battle system, why not just make it an RPG? Seriously, why is that decision so hard for them?
To an extent, I'm sure that Paper Jam is pretty good as well. It does have a nice soundtrack and whatnot. And I did enjoy Dream Team a lot.

It just kinda feels like even M&L is going further and further away from the RPG elements of the first few games... Kinda like Paper Mario.
There's less party management because there are less equipment options, there are less character builds because Paper Jam's gotten rid of random stat bonuses on level ups, and every boss fight essentially boils down to whether you can do a longwinded minigame right or not.

As for CS, I can forgive the pointless overworld fights to an extent, but the fact that they managed to make their boss fights way worse than before is just baffling to me. Seriously, how do you top the poopshow that was Sticker Star's boss fights? It all just feels so pointless and needlessly tedious to get through.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Exactly.
It would be awful.

The worst part is that it almost happened with the Legend Of Spyro series. Thankfully it didn't go that wrong.

I wasn't sure about making that joke.

Thanks for doing it for me.
Don’t mind me. I’m just sitting here loving the Legends trilogy more than classic Spyro.

I’m not kidding. I’m playing through the Reignited Trilogy now. And I’m just sitting there wishing it was more like Legends

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Don’t mind me. I’m just sitting here liking Act Zero more than Classic Bomberman. Do. Do. Do. Do. Do.
Hey, that's fine...

Especially assuming I'm the guy who likes Nuts & Bolts more than the classic Banjo games
Who thought this was a good idea?
Konami

The only company on the planet who'd think it'd be a good idea

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don’t mind me. I’m just sitting here loving the Legends trilogy more than classic Spyro.

I’m not kidding. I’m playing through the Reignited Trilogy now. And I’m just sitting there wishing it was more like Legends
They are good games, i agree.

That's why i am glad that they didn't do anything awful with the concept.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, the Mario & Luigi games are fun to play and provide for some good moments. I for one enjoyed Dream Team but skipped BIS, but I might make up for that by getting the 3DS one.

The downfall of Paper Mario is super disappointing to me, because it’s easily one of my favorites series (or sub series) ever. The world building that was done in Thousand Year Door was sooooo good. Really, I think it comes down to a business decision to push and market Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario, the reasons for which I cannot say.

Frankly, I would probably **** myself if they remaster Thousand Year Door on Switch. I’ve been meaning to go back to that game but haven’t had the time (massive backlog of games still), but having it come out on Switch would absolutely change that.

At least I still have TTYD to play whenever I want. Too bad my Wii is basically busted and the GameCube looks like poop on a 4K tv.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
You know, for a change, I'd really like someone running in with news such as..
HUGE LEAK.. THE NEXT DLC CHARACTER IS REVEALED, IT'S GOEMON
ahh, wouldn't that be the day X)

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the Mario & Luigi games are fun to play and provide for some good moments. I for one enjoyed Dream Team but skipped BIS, but I might make up for that by getting the 3DS one.

The downfall of Paper Mario is super disappointing to me, because it’s easily one of my favorites series (or sub series) ever. The world building that was done in Thousand Year Door was sooooo good. Really, I think it comes down to a business decision to push and market Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario, the reasons for which I cannot say.

Frankly, I would probably **** myself if they remaster Thousand Year Door on Switch. I’ve been meaning to go back to that game but haven’t had the time (massive backlog of games still), but having it come out on Switch would absolutely change that.

At least I still have TTYD to play whenever I want. Too bad my Wii is basically busted and the GameCube looks like poop on a 4K tv.
See, I don't usually get super emotional over video game announcements, but if Nintendo were to ever get Paper Mario back to form, or remaster N64 or TTYD...

Hoo boy

D

Deleted member

I am back.

I beat it on my first try.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, that is what i refer to.

That move needs to be fixed.
must never be fixed
Okay, but I'm also not allowed to go easy.

I like having an infinite amount of menacing Black Knights on my screen.
Or Infinite Lyns and Waluigis all hunting you down

to this:
I see no difference here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom