• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the game is pretty old but that is a spoiler lol
it's just ringabel classing into dark knight, whatever are you talking about

Real talk, if Sol got in he should get an air dash. Imagine any ****ing character in this game with an air dash lmaoooo
directional air dodge except it doesn't have 5 years of endlag? i'm down for that

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reality is, any content from a game counts as representation of that game.

Reality is, Smash was designed where the characters were important. This is how it came to be. It was going to have generic characters, but it was decided upon that having recognizable playable characters is going to make the first game sell better. So it is true that playable characters play a major role in representation. It's the game's premise.

It's just ridiculous to think that you need tons of characters to properly represent it too. Every franchise is different. Some don't have easy item options(like Fire Emblem). Some were lucky to have cool moveset ideas but also were easy as clones. Not every franchise has that option overall. I honestly feel Fire Emblem is represented well because the focus of the series in itself is about the characters. Pokemon is focused on the monsters, and both the items and playable characters represent that well. DKC isn't focused strictly on characters either, it has some fun ones that work. It's a mix of what's important. Collectathons, music, unique mammals, etc. Smash actually does a pretty decent job of showing tons of DKC(and respectively the original DK arcade game). What it does lack at best is non-jungle stages. That's the only real thing missing. FE is only missing at best a reference to the weapon triangle, but otherwise does a good job in showing off the series. Super Mario is one of the best represented ones overall. Sonic kind of really needs more stuff from the Modern era, but otherwise is fairly good.

Are characters most important? Only because that's the premise, yes. The rest still matter heavily. Donkey Kong County isn't just about DK, Diddy, and K. Rool. There's so much more to it than that. It's why we get tons of content outside of just playable to help show off all parts of a game. Also, to be frank, I'd say say 2 characters and 30 songs can absolutely be great representation too(Street Fighter is something similar to that). It's all it needs. It's not like it had feasible time to make anyone other than an Echo at best. So it was either the original echo, Ken, or something like Dan, who is nowhere near as popular, or another shotoclone that is extremely similar in both animations and body shape. Which doesn't leave much, since many of them only have a modified moveset based upon the fighting style. You could go on for multiple franchises.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
should also be said that any mention of ringabel has to come with this absolute banger of a tune

D

Deleted member

I just came back from watching Spider-Verse for the second time.

What a masterpiece of a movie.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I keep hearing people in the competitive community saying Ridley plays like a swordfighter. Not normally as a complaint, mind you. They're just pointing out that Ridley is at his best when you use his long, disjointed tail to edge guard and wall people out the same way characters like Marth and Ike do. I find this hilarious. You know why? Because Ridley's tail is basically a more flexible spear. Look at his fair, d-tilt or f-tilt and me those sweeps and thrusts aren't the types of moves that l'd comprise of an FE lancer's entire kit.

Look I think a spear or axeman would be fun, but as we get more and more FE characters the harder it is to justify more of them. There's a reason why you get so many people complaining about Corrin being a "swordsmen" while only a very small handful complain about Cloud, and it's not because Cloud is "more unique". Granted I think Corrin was a great addition and calling him a "generic swordsmen" is a huge disservice to his creative dragon fang based moveset, but if people aren't impressed by his flashy dragon powers I guarantee you they won't be impressed by most axemen or lancemen.

Basically what I'm saying is that if we get Edelgard as DLC I'm still going to eat my hat. And I don't even have a hat. You know what, I should think up a real bet to make on this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I keep hearing people in the competitive community saying Ridley plays like a swordfighter. Not normally as a complaint, mind you. They're just pointing out that Ridley is at his best when you use his long, disjointed tail to edge guard and wall people out the same way characters like Marth and Ike do. I find this hilarious. You know why? Because Ridley's tail is basically a more flexible spear. Look at his fair, d-tilt or f-tilt and me those sweeps and thrusts aren't the types of moves that l'd comprise of an FE lancer's entire kit.

Look I think a spear or axeman would be fun, but as we get more and more FE characters the harder it is to justify more of them. There's a reason why you get so many people complaining about Corrin being a "swordsmen" while only a very small handful complain about Cloud, and it's not because Cloud is "more unique". Granted I think Corrin was a great addition and calling him a "generic swordsmen" is a huge disservice to his creative dragon fang based moveset, but if people aren't impressed by his flashy dragon powers I guarantee you they won't be impressed by most axemen or lancemen.

Basically what I'm saying is that if we get Edelgard as DLC I'm still going to eat my hat. And I don't even have a hat. You know what, I should think up a real bet on this.
Also, if Rex couldn't get in because he was too new, there's no way Edelgard is getting in when her game didn't even come out yet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think leakers have gone backwards.

People think being blurry is the only issue and think getting extremely close to the screen is perfectly acceptable.

Iridium

Smash Hero
All of these fake leaks, and not one FE character included. Disappointed.

And I actually would take another one of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hatsune Miku could be dope, at least for me.

And Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 proved to everyone that every character can have a cool moveset with enough effort.

I would also like to remind everyone that Layton is a literal anime swordsman in his games. And that is cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
All of these fake leaks, and not one FE character included. Disappointed.

And I actually would take another one of them.
Hector leaks take time okay

And Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 proved to everyone that every character can have a cool moveset with enough effort.
I thought that was :ultpiranha:
Or was it :rob:?

Actually I think it was :falcon64:

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

I would also like to remind everyone that Layton is a literal anime swordsman in his games. And that is cool.
Okay then. Come up with a moveset for the Great Deku Tree with only source material from his game.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Apparently if you just go on smash and check the shop it doesn’t change from day to day unless you play the game?
Cause now it actually changed cause I played some classic modes first.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Guess who just became an official Pokemon Trainer tryhard, babies!

My GSP is currently 2,480,581 by the way.
You know, a Hand Axe would be a cool item in Smash.
FE has a lot of cool potential for items that I feel people are sleeping on. I've heard a Glass Sword/Lance/Axe suggested that's super powerful but breaks in three hits. I personally want to see a Runesword that heals a bit of damage when you strike with it.

I'm happy with the Killing Edge though. That weapon is an FE staple and its Smash incarnation is fun to use as well.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
She's pretty iconic, right up there with Reimu and Saber even. 5chan is requesting her heavily, she's part of Sega now, and she's a music-based character. What we lack in Rhythm Heaven, we can make up for it with Miku.

Too bad it's a fake though.

I sincerely hope this is real.

Miku Hatsune in Smash Bros. would be amazing. The pure, unadulterated salt that would come from that...
Toss in Frisk and watch the internet have a meltdown hotter than the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.
Satan_kumo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom