• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Rather have the Devil Axe as a down special for Hector.
Pfft as if Sakurai would ever incorporate secondary weapons into an FE lord's moveset like that when they have a legendary weapon to be using.

Cries in Urvan

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay then. Come up with a moveset for the Great Deku Tree with only source material from his game.
do you want an entire moveset or just specials because i can totally do it

D

Deleted member

but
the devil axe can kill you
you're saying hector has a move that can just ko him
Well, I wouldn't have it kill him. I was think it more along the lines of doing immense damage to the opponent but at the cost of doing damage to Hector himself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, I wouldn't have it kill him. I was think it more along the lines of doing immense damage to the opponent but at the cost of doing damage to Hector himself.
So just Ridley's down special but incredibly worse in every way imaginable? You just made Hector Pichu but slower.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Was either that or another counter.
What's wrong with another counter? We already got like twelve of them, it's not like another one will hurt as long as you can make it unique.

Incineroar twisted the idea of a counter, so you can instead do a counter that increases Hector's defense.

D

Deleted member

What's wrong with another counter? We already got like twelve of them, it's not like another one will hurt as long as you can make it unique.

Incineroar twisted the idea of a counter, so you can instead do a counter that increases Hector's defense.
Was just trying to make Hector stand out more, but whatever.

A counter that boosts his defense does sound cool. Doesn't Hector get Aigis as a skill IIRC?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What you can tell me is that you’re being ridiculous for thinking this way. The way you’re still finding evething else worthless in representation is just past wrong
A. Worth less ≠ worthless.

B. You're basically saying:

Castlevania's representation:
2 Characters
1 AT
1 Stage
1 Item
1 Boss
34 Songs
= 40 Representation

Fire Emblem's representation:
7 Characters
3 AT
3 Stages
1 Item
13 Songs
= 27 Representation

And that's just ****ing dumb.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145

2 Characters
1 AT
1 Stage
1 Item
1 Boss
34 Songs
= 40 Representation

7 Characters
3 AT
3 Stages
1 Item
13 Songs
= 27 Representation

I don't think you're taking spirits into account.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Unrelated to the current topic but I wanted to ask since it came to mind while reading this, I had this in mind for Cynthia’s Milotic as her neutral special and I’d like to know if you guys think this would work:

Mirror Coat-a counter that does average damage when countering normal attacks, but doubles the damage and knockback when countering a damage-dealing special move.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think it's funny how caught up on "representation" we get when I don't think the developers actually care that much about perfect "representation" balance. I think they mostly just try to throw together what they think will be a fun crossover game first and then worry about "who deserves to have more of a what" as more of an afterthought, if they even care that much about it at all. Of course bigger franchises like Mario and Pokemon are generally going to get more stuff compared to others, but that probably has more to do with those two being popular and marketable then it has to do with them being more "deserving" then other franchises.

I say this as a competitive tryhard with over 4,000 posts on these site: We fans tend to take this game waaay too seriously.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You're missing the point in that "representation" isn't equal in all its parts.
A spirit would be equivalent to a sticker compared to a painting.
Personally, I'd weight things at about:

20 Rep - Unique Fighter
20 Rep - Boss
10 Rep - Echo Fighter
10 Rep - Assist Trophy
10 Rep - Stage
5 Rep - Mii Costume
5 Rep - Item
2 Rep - Song
1 Rep - Spirit

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
The discussion about counters made me realize that Robin is the only FE character without a counter move.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think we have enough counters as it is.

Now if they added more unique counters like Incineroar's that is fine. An interesting mechanic so it is used a different way.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The discussion about counters made me realize that Robin is the only FE character without a counter move.
I think there was an old interview where Sakurai said Marth's counter was inspired by FE gameplay, where if your character was put into enemy range they'd counterattack during the enemy phase. That'd explain why he gave one to Ike and Corrin as well. Corrin's Dragon Stone is a pretty nifty enemy phase weapon in Fates thanks to its huge defense boost, which probably explains why he transforms into a dragon for his.

I still think too many characters have counters though. The more they add the less special having one is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My favorite counter I've seen in a while is Mewtwo's barrier in Pokken.

Hitting the counter lets him grab, drain punch, stun, or a retreating teleport.

Best part is that he can still do those actions after a while even if no one hits him.

D

Deleted member

You know, I think Fjorm from Fire Emblem Heroes could be an interesting fighter. She's a lance user with ice powers.

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point I don't want any more counters unless they're unique like Bayonetta or Incineroar.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Don't need a counter when you are the counter to "they're all just marths lmao"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

2 Characters
1 AT
1 Stage
1 Item
1 Boss
34 Songs
= 40 Representation

7 Characters
3 AT
3 Stages
1 Item
13 Songs
= 27 Representation

or...I’m saying Fire Emblem’s representation isn’t a massive as you make it and should stop discarding every other thing the series has in Smash just cause of the amount of characters they have....also the amount of songs you’ve counted is wrong

FE having more overall representation than :ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultolimar::ultrob::ultryu::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultwiifittrainer: due to its current large status is no problem at all (especially since it’s a Nintendo property and is more relevant than most of the other series), and its still lower than :ultmario:(:ultdk::ultwario::ultyoshi: being included) :ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby: (maybe :ultsamus:, but I’ll have to look into that one)

If you don’t want to agree then that’s fine and you can stick to your own way in what Smash representation means, but I’m gonna leave this discussion on this...

...until Fire Emblem has more of everything than any of the big three franchises of Nintendo, that’s when you can ***** about the series in Smash

Bada Boom, we end this whole thing here...
DAE83D0B-DABB-4A5E-B6C0-DB66022D8613.gif

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just got done with my 2nd session of online with Ultimate. Ridley is at 2.3 million. Elite Smash has gotta be close, right?

Anywho, I met this insane Wii Fit Trainer. Every match was close but DAMN SHE KEPT DUNKING ME!

Iridium

Smash Hero
Still want to play as Link soon. Those Royal Guard and Hylian Tunic alts await me. I really want to master those bomb recoveries too when I can.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just got done with my 2nd session of online with Ultimate. Ridley is at 2.3 million. Elite Smash has gotta be close, right?

Anywho, I met this insane Wii Fit Trainer. Every match was close but DAMN SHE KEPT DUNKING ME!
.1 mil away I'd say.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I haven’t even messed with the Quickplays much due to abusing other Arenas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom