• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
state of instrumentals/vocals in the game notwithstanding, this absolute banger is the only one we can say pretty confidently is in the game right now (given it's Joker's trailer theme, so they presumably have the rights to it)

Not necessarily. *Glares at Bombing Mission, Chocobo Theme, and Forest Maze*.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
For me, "the worst" would be 5 lackluster characters. I'd rather only have 1 wave of characters that I believe will be implemented well! Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think we need any more characters.
to be fair I went into DLC expecting the worst and got joker immediately afterwards, so I think if I keep expecting the worst then we'll have twenty more fighter packs by the end of all this

Not necessarily. *Glares at Bombing Mission, Chocobo Theme, and Forest Maze*.
these tracks all have something in common and it rhymes with pear phoenix

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Hell no I just point and laugh at people who say the dumbest **** like "Paper Mario 1000 year door is more expensive on ebay than Colour Splash therefore it's the better game solely based on that factor. Checkmate you gay-grudge holding liberals"
But I'm not talking about that crowd. I'm talking about us, as in the people replying in this thread. C'mon, if you were GwenIsAChad too, you'd be way less active :v

For me, "the worst" would be 5 lackluster characters. I'd rather only have 1 wave of characters that I believe will be implemented well! Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think we need any more characters.
Quality over quantity, eh? We're dealing with subjectives here, but I don't necessarily disagree!

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
kay this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard
Yeah, how dare I interpret Sakurai's statements on Persona 5 music and Smash Ultimate DLC being downplayed? Not like this fanbase has a history of getting BTFO when he uses exact words or anything. No siree bob!

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Even if we don't get more full characters, we'll probably get regular DLC patches and costumes as is.
yeah right after this ultimate's gonna be abandoned and we're going to either have to wait 4 years for an objectively inferior sequel or 8 years for an entirely new console and smash bros

KarneraMythos KarneraMythos i was talking about the actual statements and not about you

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Sure, it could have a difficulty toggle. I'm not against that. Sorry, I was perhaps skimming too much, I didn't realize we were strictly talking about making the game's story harder, that's why I brought up the Battle Tree.

I play Pokemon pretty casually (despite the fact I have more knowledge than a typical casual player of the series). I'm pretty happy with the story for what it is, and it providing me the opportunity to run through with a bunch of different teams. It's easy going, a fun chill game with designs and characters I like. I enjoy the mechanics and combat, and I rarely grind so I still have to strategize. Trying out a bunch of Pokemon create a nice amount of replay value for me, so it's just something I go back to a lot. So I'm not depending on such a toggle for difficulty since I'm happy with how things are, but I wouldn't be against it existing.
You could still do all that and enjoy all those things even if the game was made harder cuz of difficulty settings.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
yeah right after this ultimate's gonna be abandoned and we're going to either have to wait 4 years for an objectively inferior sequel or 8 years for an entirely new console and smash bros
this reads like sarcasm but I think we all know it's true in our hearts

Pakky

Smash Hero
in a loud meaty voice

DOES JOKER HAVE ANY SEXY LADY PERSONAS???

:3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hell no I just point and laugh at people who say the dumbest **** like "Paper Mario 1000 year door is more expensive on ebay than Colour Splash therefore it's the better game solely based on that factor. Checkmate you gay-grudge holding liberals"
gay grudge holding liberal is my alter ego superhero name

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

KarneraMythos KarneraMythos i was talking about the actual statements and not about you
Oh, my mistake! I had a few people raising their eyebrows at me like I've lost my marbles.

Personally, if we get another Smash game, Sakurai should set a new goalpost after getting everyone back in the roster somehow: Add the game modes that people were desperately begging for. Aside from newcomers and gameplay overhaul, new and exciting features is pretty much the only other draw for the series.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't think we even need a new Smash Bros after Ultimate...

It's gonna be hard to to top it, and I feel Smash needs to end at some point, or it'll lose it's charm
And besides I think we have just about all of the Nintendo / Video Game all-stars playable...
I'd rather a balanced 80 character roster where every character's inclusion makes sense, over a 250 cluttered unbalanced character roster with a lot of useless filler...

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’ll actually sum up the part KarneraMythos KarneraMythos is reffering to. It was in a recent interview.

Sakurai: “As we make the DLC fighters, the team involved will continue to shrink. Until now I’ve been overseeing hundreds of peoples’ work, so my work as a director is about to get relatively light. Of course, we have to plan the next DLC character, and the next… and so on and so forth. I planned in advance and set aside some funds, though, so we’ve got a bit of a surplus compared to earlier on.”

Bionichute

Smash Champion
ultimate is basically a game designed to be updated for many years, and not doing that is, frankly, a bit bull****? sakurai could even take a break and they could keep making dlc. there's basically zero way a sequel would be better, we'd either have to wait until the next nintendo console (and who the **** knows when that will happen, we're only two years into the switch's lifespan) or they release another smash bros game on the switch, with less characters because they couldn't get some of the rights back. its really, really stupid.

i guess this also basically means spirit characters are absolutely dead

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Y’Know I still wonder why Yoshi was put in Smash 64 over like... Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Wario, Diddy Kong, Mewtwo, Marth, King Dedede or Meta Knight.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I don't think we even need a new Smash Bros after Ultimate...

It's gonna be hard to to top it, and I feel Smash needs to end at some point, or it'll lose it's charm
And besides I think we have just about all of the Nintendo / Video Game all-stars playable...
I'd rather a balanced 80 character roster where every character's inclusion makes sense, over a 250 cluttered unbalanced character roster with a lot of useless filler...
like nintendo will ever let that happen. you see how much bank until made? they know how popular smash bros is, they're basically going to keep making them for as long as they can

Noipoi

Howdy!
Y’Know I still wonder why Yoshi was put in Smash 64 over like... Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Wario, Diddy Kong, Mewtwo, Marth, King Dedede or Meta Knight.
Yoshi was the hot new thing in the 90s. Obviously he would've gotten in either way because he's YOSHI, but it makes sense. Bowser is surprising though.
I would've put in Bowser.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'd assume because he was relevant at time, as Yoshi's Story came out around Smash 64's development

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well Sakurai didn't want to seem biased. Though honestly out of all of the original 12 I feel Yoshi fits the crowd of "Wouldn't be all too popular a request" alongside Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff and Ness

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
ultimate is basically a game designed to be updated for many years, and not doing that is, frankly, a bit bull****? sakurai could even take a break and they could keep making dlc. there's basically zero way a sequel would be better, we'd either have to wait until the next nintendo console (and who the **** knows when that will happen, we're only two years into the switch's lifespan) or they release another smash bros game on the switch, with less characters because they couldn't get some of the rights back. its really, really stupid.

i guess this also basically means spirit characters are absolutely dead
If Sakurai wants to not have the game continue on for more than a year, that's his choice. Keep in mind that unless Nintendo deems the DLC will keep going, he has no reason he has to.

Other than adding a few cut modes, the game is highly complete anyway. It was rushed, so having a few things that were cut brought back is very nice. 6 DLC characters that are unique is still nice. Maybe we might get some Echo DLC. Who knows.

80 characters, plus quite a few modes, over 100 stages... and I'd say it's still a huge and complete game. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo could have a new person work on DLC if they want. Sakurai wants a break, and it's fair to give it to him. Considering he had his team do a lot of the work and choose many of the spirits, it shows he's more than willing to let other people hand the work and not overdo it himself. He doesn't need to be in-charge of all the DLC, unless he's either contracted to or decides he has to be there till the very end(and in the latter's case, that means Nintendo is fine with it too. I'm sure they would be, as they heavily respect him).

Noipoi

Howdy!
In the original games there was one character for every series. Except Mario, and Pokemon. From the beginning they had more characters than every one else.

I think that's funny.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If Sakurai wants to not have the game continue on for more than a year, that's his choice. Keep in mind that unless Nintendo deems the DLC will keep going, he has no reason he has to.

Other than adding a few cut modes, the game is highly complete anyway. It was rushed, so having a few things that were cut brought back is very nice. 6 DLC characters that are unique is still nice. Maybe we might get some Echo DLC. Who knows.

80 characters, plus quite a few modes, over 100 stages... and I'd say it's still a huge and complete game. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo could have a new person work on DLC if they want. Sakurai wants a break, and it's fair to give it to him. Considering he had his team do a lot of the work and choose many of the spirits, it shows he's more than willing to let other people hand the work and not overdo it himself. He doesn't need to be in-charge of all the DLC, unless he's either contracted to or decides he has to be there till the very end(and in the latter's case, that means Nintendo is fine with it too. I'm sure they would be, as they heavily respect him).
oh yeah its a very complete game, i just think that it makes no sense business wise for them to do this. maybe if the dlc does really well nintendo will mandate it, i dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom