• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
to bad Wario Ware inc doesnt have any good music. Im play on the stage more for the minigames
Yeah, it’s always fun when the taunt mini game appears and you have to choose between getting a buff or attacking your opponent. It’s like the prisoner’s dilemma, where if both taunt, both get an advantage, if one attacks anyone taunting, the attacker has the advantage, and if both attack, both characters have a disadvantage.

D

Deleted member

No. They make the game so any low tier trash can do that, so doing it with favorites makes it absolutely NOTHING special. It's like feeling special that you can fit the square block through the square hole in a baby toy.
Any and all characters playable in a game should be able to beat said game. Preventing someone from doing otherwise is just straight up bad game design. This is not an opinion, it's just a fact of how game design should be handled.
Beating a game with your favorite character is a reward of its own and there should be nothing else to it.
Why do you think Pokemon is so successful? It's by allowing players to play however way they want to play, NOT by forcing them to use specific setups to face some "challenge".

Pokemon is not perfect with it, sure, you have Pokemon like Unown which are literally useless but for the most part, you can do whatever you want with it.
Form a team anywhere from just 1 to a full party of 6. Evolve your Pokemon or don't. Slap Hyper Beam on everyone. Build a team that covers each others weaknesses or just go full monotype. It doesn't matter, you can play the game however you want because that's what kids like having: complete freedom.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I wonder if we'll get a Wario Ware character in the DLC pack that'll bring along Body Rock with them...
It’d be nice to see an original Warioware character make the roster one way or another. Since it seems like Ashley’s out of the running for now, I think the most likely characters could be Mona, Kat & Ana, or 9-Volt

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It’d be nice to see an original Warioware character make the roster one way or another. Since it seems like Ashley’s out of the running for now, I think the most likely characters could be Mona, Kat & Ana, or 9-Volt
Regardless of the "but they have a spirit" argument, I'm going to spend about 50 pages laughing if Kat & Ana get in cause people kept getting on my **** for even suggesting such a thing a long time ago

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
complete freedom.
complete freedom is garbage tier and playing that way is just not fun. objectively. not fun. garbage. tier. unviable. ...objectively.

Yes yes please. I'd love any of the WarioWare characters, but I'd really like 9-Volt and Jimmy especially.
My personal pick is Jimmy tbh
I would looooove that

Iridium

Smash Hero
Any and all characters playable in a game should be able to beat said game. Preventing someone from doing otherwise is just straight up bad game design. This is not an opinion, it's just a fact of how game design should be handled.
Beating a game with your favorite character is a reward of its own and there should be nothing else to it.
Why do you think Pokemon is so successful? It's by allowing players to play however way they want to play, NOT by forcing them to use specific setups to face some "challenge".

Pokemon is not perfect with it, sure, you have Pokemon like Unown which are literally useless but for the most part, you can do whatever you want with it.
Form a team anywhere from just 1 to a full party of 6. Evolve your Pokemon or don't. Slap Hyper Beam on everyone. Build a team that covers each others weaknesses or just go full monotype. It doesn't matter, you can play the game however you want because that's what kids like having: complete freedom.
I misread the last two words as "corporate freedom" somehow, and now I want to know what that means. Well, in this context.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This is what we wanted to see.

I have no regrets showing this off.
This is terrifying.

Anyway, the title of the video is misleading. That's actually not a glitch, it's a trick done intentionally to keep the character's face from clipping through Wario when he bites them without having to unload and then reload it. I'm still constantly surprised by just how powerful the camera is to let us see this stuff though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I’m curious as to what his moveset would be like, I have a pretty good idea for what the other three’s moves could be like.
Blue hair. Marth clone.

Er, nah, but a disco based moveset would be incredible

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
This is terrifying.

Anyway, the title of the video is misleading. That's actually not a glitch, it's a trick done intentionally to keep the character's face from clipping through Wario when he bites them without having to unload and then reload it. I'm still constantly surprised by just how powerful the camera is to let us see this stuff though.
I'll call this one molecular disassembly.

I don't remember it looking like this in Smash 4, but whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is what we wanted to see.

I have no regrets showing this off.
Ridley is by far the best one; got a good chuckle from that.

DK, Charizard and Dedede are nightmare fuel.

Luigi got SWOLE.

Diddy Kong needs to lay off the bananas for a while.

Sonic looks like one of those weird, cheap toys.

PAC-MAN IS ANGRY. PAC-MAN SMASH.

Bowser Jr. looks like a fat baby.

DHD looks like a roasted turkey.

K. Rool has become a planet.

Isabelle looks...uh...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder how Opossum Opossum feels about :ultchrom: being considered both one of the strongest and loathed characters in the game.
Godhood is neat.
I meant the way he expressed his respect to Persona. He did that somewhat similarly to Fire Emblem.. after the over inclusions, saying he likes the games and finished them all n what not. I get Persona, but his Fire Emblem comments felt like an excuse for Nintendo. I still think it was a bad call, nothing is changing that now however.

Well, who cares. His Yusuke comment gave me new hope for Goemon.
Are we seriously at the point where we're gatekeeping Sakurai by saying he doesn't like Fire Emblem as much as he claims he does? What the ****.

The guy who reclassed Wrys to a Swordmaster in Shadow Dragon for no reason beyond the fact that it was possible apparently doesn't actually like Fire Emblem, guys. Yikes indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any thoughts on GSP, guys? It's a bit too harsh if you LOSE, you lose a lot of points.
I'm pretty much not caring about it. The rules around it are super janky and make no sense, not to mention there is no separation from 1v1 no items and FFAs. Both raise and lower it, and that's really dumb IMO. Each mode should have its own separate ranking.

Then there's Elite Smash. Yeah...it's dumb. There is no set cap on how much GSP you need; in fact, it's constantly rising for some characters. You see, depending on how popular your character is and how successful others are with them will determine how much GSP you will need for Elite Smash. One character could only need 1.5, while another needs above 2.0. It baffles me how we got this weird point-and-score system when we already have a competitive Nintendo game with a perfectly normal ranking system in Splatoon.

If I ever get Elite Smash, then neat, I guess. TBH, though, I'm personally not worrying too much about it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Godhood is neat.
It wears off. At least, for me it did. I mained Cammy though SFA/3/4, and as soon as EVERYONE played her in SFV I gradually jumped ship onto my former secondary, Juri. (A ship that has been sinking this entire time because she's just not very good.)

I dunno. I get tired of playing dittos all the time and not feeling like I have a character that's mine. I'm already starting to feel that way playing Lucina. So many Marth-clone dittos online. (Luckily of my friends locally I'm the only one who plays a Marth clone seriously.)

D

Deleted member

It wears off. At least, for me it did. I mained Cammy though SFA/3/4, and as soon as EVERYONE played her in SFV I gradually jumped ship onto my former secondary, Juri. (A ship that has been sinking this entire time because she's just not very good.)

I dunno. I get tired of playing dittos all the time and not feeling like I have a character that's mine. I'm already starting to feel that way playing Lucina. So many Marth-clone dittos online. (Luckily of my friends locally I'm the only one who plays a Marth clone seriously.)
For as popular as Inklings are right now, I haven't fought a single ditto in Quick Play. I kept running into Mr. Game & Watches, which surprised me.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

play ryu and enjoy 90% of the playerbase forgetting your character exists

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For as popular as Inklings are right now, I haven't fought a single ditto in Quick Play. I kept running into Mr. Game & Watches, which surprised me.
Really? I've yet to find a G&W, actually.

The characters I play against most by far on Quick Play are :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy::ultrobin::ultkrool::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultken:. Interestingly, aside from K. Rool, they're all humanoid/anime characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now I've got TF2 Halloween on the brain thanks to all these tiny heads

"AUCH! ME HEAD! It's wee... It's a wee head."

osby

Smash Obsessed

The characters I play against most by far on Quick Play are :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy::ultrobin::ultkrool::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultken:. Interestingly, aside from K. Rool, they're all humanoid/anime characters.

Wow, it's almost like people complaining about realistically proportionate characters are a vocal minority

I remember seeing a ridiculous amount of Isabelles one time, like five people back-to-back.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Huh, aside from K. Rool, the characters I run into most are Isabelle and Ness.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I run into a lot of  :ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink: on quickplay personally. Sometimes I'll run into a Snake that hardly even uses his traps and projectiles which is kind of strange. You'd think that people who didn't know how to play him at his fullest would at least know how to throw grenades.

D

Deleted member

I get a lot of Snakes, too.

I then lose, because fighting Snake is hard for me. :p

D

Deleted member

Haven't played enough to find a consistent character but I found, like, 3 Ridleys yesterday and 2 Chroms
I run into a lot of  :ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink: on quickplay personally. Sometimes I'll run into a Snake that hardly even uses his traps and projectiles which is kind of strange. You'd think that people who didn't know how to play him at his fullest would at least know how to throw grenades.
I'm bad at zoning so the most I do with Snake's specials is set up a C4 since I can never use Grenades effectivelly.
I'm trying to learn when to use and not use projectiles though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm a huge fan of games with cool humanoid characters so that's the body type I stick to.

The only exception would be a hypothetical Amaterasu because goddamn that's the sickest dog-god I've ever seen.

Actually wait, does Midna count as humanoid? Either way, I'd play her.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Huh, aside from K. Rool, the characters I run into most are Isabelle and Ness.
You know, now that you mention it, I've seen a decent amount of :ultness: and :ultlucas:. Not a ton, but more than I expected.

To clarify, I haven't played for a week because we wrapped up our sixth episode on my Youtube channel last weekend, then there was the whole Christmas thing. The community character choices have probably shifted a lot over the course of a whole week.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm bad at zoning so the most I do with Snake's specials is set up a C4 since I can never use Grenades effectivelly.
When NOT to use? You are playing Snake, not Robin, spam those grenades!

please don't, I can't deal with them

LetterO

Smash Lord
I rarely see Falco and Snake on Quickplay.

But when I do, they're pretty good at giving me a beating.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Haven't played enough to find a consistent character but I found, like, 3 Ridleys yesterday and 2 Chroms

Is your opponent off stage?
Yes? Nikita
No? Well get then off stage you ****

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Meanwhile. On my side of the platform.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. OW. SNAKE, STAHP. ****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't either and that was what killed me yesterday when I fought this really good Snake as Damus. At least I learned a lot of things about him but I can't grasp the concept of "spam grenades if they're far away, stop using them if they try to approach"

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507

How the heck is it bad game design to get players to think to use stronger options to beat harder things in the game? The very existence of levelling up in an RPG completely refutes your argument because if that were the case, you wouldn't level up your Pokemon at all since it gives them the option of having better stats to beat the game easier by being stronger. While it's true you can solo a Pokemon game with a level 100 Caterpie, you're certainly never going to do that with level 2 Caterpie. Guess Pokemon is badly designed since if level 2 is your favorite level, you can't beat the game with a Pokemon at that level. Besides, even if that was bad game design, plenty of games that lock all options behind postgame are automatically bad, then. For instance, if your favorite Pokemon is a Legendary that you can't get until after beating the story, then I guess Pokemon is a badly designed game since it literally makes it so you're not allowed to beat it with that favorite Pokemon you aren't allowed to have yet.

Any RPG that isn't Pokemon honestly has way more freedom to offer since the monsters tend to have way more skillslots, numerous fusion paths, and bigger and more open worlds while Pokemon generally puts you on a straight lined path.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You know, now that you mention it, I've seen a decent amount of :ultness: and :ultlucas:. Not a ton, but more than I expected.

To clarify, I haven't played for a week because we wrapped up our sixth episode on my Youtube channel last weekend, then there was the whole Christmas thing. The community character choices have probably shifted a lot over the course of a whole week.
I think people are starting to figure out that PK Freeze is really good in this game.

I just figured it out yesterday, I cheesed my opponents with it, hard.

It's not broken, but it's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom