• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We had a grappler once. :popo:

Rawk Hawk, Buzzwole, Midna, Rhythm Wrestler and Ridley would be my picks for potential grappler characters.
Fighter Hayabusa has a bone to pick with you!

He gets my pick for potential grapplers. Plus, he’s apart of an unrepresented franchise and is a retro.

Edit: I have no idea where this render comes from but I found it on Fantendo.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think smash has gotten to the point where its too much of a juggernaut for western 3rd parties not to play a factor. It just makes too much buisness sense to include characters from around the world for more worldwide appeal. Just for example, games like Skyrim and Doom are some of the most influential games of the industrys history, and theyre from the west. Crash is also a westerner that has the bonus of worldwide popularity as another example. Theyre obvioously harder to include, but I think nows the time when Sakurai will either change his mind or get a 'suggestion' from Nintendos higher ups to include at least one westerner this time around.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
This might sound like a dumb question, but is it okay if I post my list of roster predictions here, or is there a specific thread for that already?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This might sound like a dumb question, but is it okay if I post my list of roster predictions here, or is there a specific thread for that already?
There is a roster thread among the other stickied threads in General Discussion ... but people have been posting them here and no one seems to mind so eh?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Oh god. I just realized Etika.

We have to put up with more of his fake over the top reactions while he shows us his collection of Hanes boxer briefs.
Just how odd some say Etika's reaction are "fake". I think "exaggerated" might be a proper term. Even so, I think his reactions were hilarious.

I had subbed him for a while ever since Smash 3ds release. And I found him to be a very cool dude.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think smash has gotten to the point where its too much of a juggernaut for western 3rd parties not to play a factor. It just makes too much buisness sense to include characters from around the world for more worldwide appeal. Just for example, games like Skyrim and Doom are some of the most influential games of the industrys history, and theyre from the west. Crash is also a westerner that has the bonus of worldwide popularity as another example. Theyre obvioously harder to include, but I think nows the time when Sakurai will either change his mind or get a 'suggestion' from Nintendos higher ups to include at least one westerner this time around.
I doubt Sakurai even has anything against Western third-party characters. I mean we got Diddy, and he wasn't created in Japan.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I doubt Sakurai even has anything against Western third-party characters. I mean we got Diddy, and he wasn't created in Japan.
But he's still a part of the Donkey Kong and Mario series....thus Sakurai is familiar with Diddy because he is a Nintendo character (I doubt Sakurai contacts with Rare when he put Diddy Kong in Brawl back then and afterward.)
Western Third party characters, Sakurai might have a hard time putting them in because he might not be familiar to those characters, not to mention contacting to the western third party companies... It won't be easy.
I think any western third party characters aren't feasible in my opinion. Unless the third party company will be that willing to cooperate with Nintendo, like how Ubisoft did with Mario + Rabbids.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think smash will still focus on Japanese third party characters, with maybe an exception or two

Characters like Bomberman, Phoenix Wright, and Simon Belmont which are iconic characters with a history on Nintendo consoles should and probably will be a priority over other choices

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think smash will still focus on Japanese third party characters, with maybe an exception or two

Characters like Bomberman, Phoenix Wright, and Simon Belmont which are iconic characters with a history on Nintendo consoles should and probably will be a priority over other choices
I think the biggest chance is Bomberman, he us very icon not only on Nintendo consoles but also Nintendo handhelds.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think the biggest chance is Bomberman, he us very icon not only on Nintendo consoles but also Nintendo handhelds.
Same thing with Phoenix Wright, who has been exclusive to Nintendo consoles for almost two decades, not counting mobile

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Something interesting to note regarding DOOM:

I had been researching this interview mainly for Sora, and I had not known that Sakurai acknowledges DOOM's big importance till now. I am currently not sure if this interview enhances Sakurai's possible interest in Doom Guy in Smash, since he likely did not get a chunk of popularity in the ballot to get considered, but I think this could help Doom Guy's chances when DLC comes. I wanna make an analysis for DOOM Guy right now.

But first, I have some questions. Do you think Sakurai will account the popularity of third-parties that have gained a notable following like Sans or Doom Guy in 2017-2018 when applying who to consider for DLC. Would the Smash 4 ballot apply to DLC anymore? Or would it be still something of importance, considering that the ballot would be used for future Smash Bros. games.

(Also the fact that Sakurai acknowledges visual novels as games makes me consider the possibility of Saber, Okarin, and Nagisa)

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Something interesting to note regarding DOOM:

I had been researching this interview mainly for Sora, and I had not known that Sakurai acknowledges DOOM's big importance till now. I am currently not sure if this interview enhances Sakurai's possible interest in Doom Guy in Smash, since he likely did not get a chunk of popularity in the ballot to get considered, but I think this could help Doom Guy's chances when DLC comes. I wanna make an analysis for DOOM Guy right now.

But first, I have some questions. Do you think Sakurai will account the popularity of third-parties that have gained a notable following like Sans or Doom Guy in 2017-2018 when applying who to consider for DLC. Would the Smash 4 ballot apply to DLC anymore? Or would it be still something of importance, considering that the ballot would be used for future Smash Bros. games.

(Also the fact that Sakurai acknowledges visual novels as games makes me consider the possibility of Saber, Okarin, and Nagisa)
The mention of castelvania is promising for Simon Belmont, and as far as visual novels like I said in my previous posts Phoenix Wright would fulfill that genre representation

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Same thing with Phoenix Wright, who has been exclusive to Nintendo consoles for almost two decades, not counting mobile
Yeah, but a minor problem is that he .. Is a lawyer, and besides Marvel VS Capcom's move set... I am not sure how will Sakurai make him into a fighter while he still maintains that Ace Attorney style.

I mean hey, we have Wii Fit Trainer and Villager in so, I think he's possible as well.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Yeah, but a minor problem is that he .. Is a lawyer, and besides Marvel VS Capcom's move set... I am not sure how will Sakurai make him into a fighter while he still maintains that Ace Attorney style.

I mean hey, we have Wii Fit Trainer and Villager in so, I think he's possible as well.
Yeah I think we’re at the point where “how could they be a fighter?” Doesn’t apply to any character, especially one who has been in a fighting game :rolleyes:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah I think we’re at the point where “how could they be a fighter?” Doesn’t apply to any character, especially one who has been in a fighting game :rolleyes:
Still, there are dozens upon dozens of third-parties Sakurai could choose from, and only a few make it into Smash. Phoenix's lack of an obvious moveset could cause Sakurai to choose someone better-suited for an intense fighting game like Smash.

Not saying he couldn't happen, but the choices for third-party reps are MUCH larger than what Sakurai has to consider for the Nintendo reps. I can see him being pickier with the guest characters.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Still, there are dozens upon dozens of third-parties Sakurai could choose from, and only a few make it into Smash. Phoenix's lack of an obvious moveset could cause Sakurai to choose someone better-suited for an intense fighting game like Smash.

Not saying he couldn't happen, but the choices for third-party reps are MUCH larger than what Sakurai has to consider for the Nintendo reps. I can see him being pickier with the guest characters.
He isn't a stranger to taking moves from other games that the character is featured in though, you could pull a lot from Ultimate Marvel 3. Does increases his chances but it's something.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think people really underestimate his chances, he’s one of the few third party characters with close ties to Nintendo, represents a new genre, represents the DS era, is iconic, and has characters from his company already in smash

Edit: and is already in an intense fighting game

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's amazing to me how many characters Capcom has that are feasibly iconic enough for Smash.

Mega Man, Ryu, Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Morrigan, Dante, Chris Redfield.

Seriously, I don't think there's a single third party that has as many iconic characters as Capcom.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Phoenix Wright is one of the few third parties I'd actually be excited to see in Smash. At the very least the Ace Attorney series deserves a trophy and maybe even a stage.

I do agree that Japanese third parties would probably be more prioritized over Western third parties. I can see at least one Western third party making it in though, but not a whole bunch.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's amazing to me how many characters Capcom has that are feasibly iconic enough for Smash.

Mega Man, Ryu, Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Morrigan, Dante, Chris Redfield.

Seriously, I don't think there's a single third party that has as many iconic characters as Capcom.
Jill Valentine > Chris Redfield. Just saying ❤.

Side note I just had flashbacks to being a super Jill Valentine supporter during Brawl speculation. My thought was if she could be in Marvel vs Capcom why not Smash? I really don't think a resident evil character is likely know but it sure as hell would be cool.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Personally, if I were to predict which Western third party is most likely, it would be Rayman, hands down.
I know a lot of people feel differently about this on here but I feel Rayman is one of the most likely third parties in general, hands down. And I don't even want him lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why is Ammy from Okami considered an icon?

I honestly think she's cool, but have I missed something about how truly popular she is?

Because I've always been under the impression she's simply one of those beloved characters from a smaller series.

StormC

Smash Hero
Why is Ammy from Okami considered an icon?

I honestly think she's cool, but have I missed something about how truly popular she is?

Because I've always been under the impression she's simply one of those beloved characters from a smaller series.
She isn't one. Her game flopped, lol. More of a cult classic than anything.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Since other people are doing it, **** it here's my predictionish roster

Paper Mario: a popular and relevant character with the potential to be a unique fighter, if any mario character gets in it should be him imo.

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze's timing makes her a perfect candidate, she's popular too and would have an interesting moveset

K Rool: The ballot is likely to inform the new roster and K Rool is ridiculously popular and would be unique, may be less likely that some of the others but has a decent shot.

Impa: Zelda needs another rep imo and no one is important enough to the series as her, hyrule warriors probably caused her to do decently well on the ballot so it's not out of the realm of possibility at all imo.

Bandana Dee: Important, relevant, unique, the perfect combo.

Wolf: A no-brainer given the fact that Star Fox Zero exists.

Decidueye: Gamefreak is pushing him quite a bit, he was the only new fighter in pokken dx's base game after all. He would've been chosen before sun and moon was out so popularity wouldn't be a factor, instead his unique design and moveset potential would likely inform sakurai's decision, and he may want to opt for a grass starter to complete the trio.

Isabelle: A staple to animal crossing already and ridiculously popular, I'd be shocked if this didn't happen.

Elma: Xenoblade X's timing makes her a prime candidate and her moveset potential is massive.

Icies: duh...

Takamaru: He's been considered twice but was kept out for being practically unknown to the west, since Smash 4's roster was planned his game was ported over here and his popularity among the smash fanbase has grown exponentially.

Rayman: May not be the most likely choice but he was a trophy in the last game, the only 3rd party series not playable to get one, he likely performed well on the ballot and Ubisoft and nintendo have had a great relationship as of late, I could see them asking for his inclusion like kojima did with snake.

and for fun I made a less realistic one too, pretty much just cause I wanted to put Lara, Ridley, Krystal, Isaac and Mipha on there.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Since other people are doing it, **** it here's my predictionish roster

Paper Mario: a popular and relevant character with the potential to be a unique fighter, if any mario character gets in it should be him imo.

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze's timing makes her a perfect candidate, she's popular too and would have an interesting moveset

K Rool: The ballot is likely to inform the new roster and K Rool is ridiculously popular and would be unique, may be less likely that some of the others but has a decent shot.

Impa: Zelda needs another rep imo and no one is important enough to the series as her, hyrule warriors probably caused her to do decently well on the ballot so it's not out of the realm of possibility at all imo.

Bandana Dee: Important, relevant, unique, the perfect combo.

Wolf: A no-brainer given the fact that Star Fox Zero exists.

Decidueye: Gamefreak is pushing him quite a bit, he was the only new fighter in pokken dx's base game after all. He would've been chosen before sun and moon was out so popularity wouldn't be a factor, instead his unique design and moveset potential would likely inform sakurai's decision, and he may want to opt for a grass starter to complete the trio.

Isabelle: A staple to animal crossing already and ridiculously popular, I'd be shocked if this didn't happen.

Elma: Xenoblade X's timing makes her a prime candidate and her moveset potential is massive.

Icies: duh...

Takamaru: He's been considered twice but was kept out for being practically unknown to the west, since Smash 4's roster was planned his game was ported over here and his popularity among the smash fanbase has grown exponentially.

Rayman: May not be the most likely choice but he was a trophy in the last game, the only 3rd party series not playable to get one, he likely performed well on the ballot and Ubisoft and nintendo have had a great relationship as of late, I could see them asking for his inclusion like kojima did with snake.

and for fun I made a less realistic one too
Nice picks, pretty similar to mine aside from Rayman

D

Deleted member

Decidueye: Gamefreak is pushing him quite a bit, he was the only new fighter in pokken dx's base game after all.
Ok, I've already asked three others already, and no one could give me an answer. No one even BOTHERED to.
How exactly has GameFreak been "pushing Decidueye quite a bit"?

Pokken is LITERALLY the only thing that has even HAD Decidueye in promotion, and even THEN, it isn't nearly as special as you make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I go back on forth on how likely rayman is tbh, but I said **** it and threw him on lol
I understand why people want him, I just think rabbids are more likely than him because of their crossover with Mario. Or if anything we’ll get Rayman and he’ll incorporate rabbids in his moveset.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I understand why people want him, I just think rabbids are more likely than him because of their crossover with Mario. Or if anything we’ll get Rayman and he’ll incorporate rabbids in his moveset.
That'd be silly. The Rabbids have pretty much not been a Rayman thing for a while now. They're as separate from Rayman as Mario is from Donkey Kong at this point.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Ok, I've already asked three others already, and no one could give me an answer. No one even BOTHERED to.
How exactly has GameFreak been "pushing Decidueye quite a bit"?

Pokken is LITERALLY the only thing that has even HAD Decidueye in promotion, and even THEN, it isn't nearly as special as you make it out to be.
He’s a grass starter and a ghost type Pokémon. He has a unique gimmick to smash. I understand why people are confused as to why so many people predict him but that’s basically it. I very much doubt we’d get another fire starter. Though believe me i’d be okay with changing up the Pokémon roster and having blastoise, Sceptile, and incineroar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom