• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

He’s s grass starter, and a ghost Pokémon. He has a unique gimmick to smash. I understand why people are confused as to why so many people predict him but that’s basically it. I very much doubt we’d get another fire starter. Though believe me i’d be okay with changing up the Pokémon roster and having blastoise, Sceptile, and incineroar
That doesn't address my question whatsoever.

I'm asking why people keep saying GameFreak is going out of their way to push Decidueye in promotion, not why people support it.

I am well aware why people support it.
I've seen the support start before we even knew what a "Decidueye" was.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

I'm asking why people keep saying GameFreak is going out of their way to push Decidueye in promotion, not why people support it.

Probably because Rowlet is so popular? I’m not sure. I agree that besides pokken I haven’t seen him pushed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If it's a grass starter. Everyone wants it. EVERYONE. They don't care who the grass starter is, they just need a grass starter.

Meanwhile I just want him because I like his design, his archer status, etc.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
He’s s grass starter, and a ghost Pokémon. He has a unique gimmick to smash. I understand why people are confused as to why so many people predict him but that’s basically it. I very much doubt we’d get another fire starter. Though believe me i’d be okay with changing up the Pokémon roster and having blastoise, Sceptile, and incineroar
But why are only starters speculated? That's something that always gets me. I mean we only have a few games to base it off of, Charizard is a special case of being the left overs of Pokemon Trainer (and is super popular and is actually pushed by the Pokemon Company) and Greninja was sent along with other early concept designs so for all we know Game freak might have only sent starters from gen 6.

No other Pokemon in smash is a starter (Pikachu was picked because they are the mascot and is unrelated to Pokemon Yellow lol). So why do I feel most Pokemon discussion is Deceiueye vs. Incenroar? Which always ends in well they won't add another fire type...why not?! Sorry , just musings from a Mimikyu supporter.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ok, I've already asked three others already, and no one could give me an answer. No one even BOTHERED to.
How exactly has GameFreak been "pushing Decidueye quite a bit"?

Pokken is LITERALLY the only thing that has even HAD Decidueye in promotion, and even THEN, it isn't nearly as special as you make it out to be.
I have to agree.

The owl is in nothing, whereas it is SUPER likely that Ash is getting a Incearoar in the anime and it was already in a movie fighting Charizard.

Its only in Pokken, and even then Pokken doesn't really have any rules and of the Grass starters its like one of three in Pokemon that would be viable being a humanoid shape and all. Bipeds are easy to rig and wouldn't take up the majority of the field like say Venasaur would.

I think people's bias is over shadowing their judgement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it's a grass starter. Everyone wants it. EVERYONE. They don't care who the grass starter is, they just need a grass starter.

We should have just got Serperior back in Smash 4 to go with Greninja. Problem solved. :V

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really hope Sakurai just goes ''Grass Starter? Too bad you get Mimikyu!"

Or even more left field ''Grass Starter? Actual fighting Pokemon? Too bad. It's Detective Pikachu time. Voiced by Ryan Reynolds!"

Of course then we'd have people asking for Deadpool in the Smash Switch DLC ballot.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
That'd be silly. The Rabbids have pretty much not been a Rayman thing for a while now. They're as separate from Rayman as Mario is from Donkey Kong at this point.
Exactly, I don’t think it’ll happen. I just still think rabbids are more likely.

Well i’d be okay with Sceptile as well.

But why are only starters speculated? That's something that always gets me. I mean we only have a few games to base it off of, Charizard is a special case of being the left overs of Pokemon Trainer (and is super popular and is actually pushed by the Pokemon Company) and Greninja was sent along with other early concept designs so for all we know Game freak might have only sent starters from gen 6.

No other Pokemon in smash is a starter (Pikachu was picked because they are the mascot and is unrelated to Pokemon Yellow lol). So why do I feel most Pokemon discussion is Deceiueye vs. Incenroar? Which always ends in well they won't add another fire type...why not?! Sorry , just musings from a Mimikyu supporter.
The starters you choose are such an important and iconic part of the game. Water/Fire/Grass
We had that representation in brawl and we’re one grass Pokémon away from getting it in 5.
Not to say another Pokémon is impossible, I have problems with Pokémon representation in smash regardless l

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Decidueye: Gamefreak is pushing him quite a bit, he was the only new fighter in pokken dx's base game after all. He would've been chosen before sun and moon was out so popularity wouldn't be a factor, instead his unique design and moveset potential would likely inform sakurai's decision, and he may want to opt for a grass starter to complete the trio.
Yeah I don't see Pokken influencing Sakurai's decision. Nor did Pokken felt obligated to include Greninja and Jigglypuff because of Smash. And as far as I'm aware, Ash's Rowlet has yet to evolve. If they intend to push Decidueye, the anime people are taking their sweet time. Meanwhile, we have the likes of Incineroar, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc also being pushed by Gamefreak. I'd take Rowlet over Decidueye.

He’s a grass starter and a ghost type Pokémon. He has a unique gimmick to smash. I understand why people are confused as to why so many people predict him but that’s basically it. I very much doubt we’d get another fire starter. Though believe me i’d be okay with changing up the Pokémon roster and having blastoise, Sceptile, and incineroar
Wanting Decidueye in Smash to complete the "starter trio" is a poor reason. Pokemon types shouldn't influence who we'd get. If Gamefreak showed off the starter Pokemon to Sakurai, and Sakurai decides he could make the fire starter work, we'll get the fire starter. If Sakurai picks a grass starter, it wasn't because he wanted to complete the starter trio set. It being a grass starter would've been coincidental.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Now, I prefer Mimikyu over Decidueye, and I hope he'll be the one making it in.
But it's not unreasonnable to sepculate on starters. They are the Pokémon with whom you start and, usually, end your journey to become a Pokémon Champion.
I would prefer Sceptile as a grass starter however.

Or even more left field ''Grass Starter? Actual fighting Pokemon? Too bad. It's Detective Pikachu time. Voiced by Ryan Reynolds!"
I like you more every day. No homo.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All this talk about Grass-type Pokemon and yet there is little support for Rowlet. I guess everyone's just biased towards the "cool" Pokemon!:p

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't see Pokken influencing Sakurai's decision. Nor did Pokken felt obligated to include Greninja and Jigglypuff because of Smash. And as far as I'm aware, Ash's Rowlet has yet to evolve. If they intend to push Decidueye, the anime people are taking their sweet time. Meanwhile, we have the likes of Incineroar, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc also being pushed by Gamefreak. I'd take Rowlet over Decidueye.

Wanting Decidueye in Smash to complete the "starter trio" is a poor reason. Pokemon types shouldn't influence who we'd get. If Gamefreak showed off the starter Pokemon to Sakurai, and Sakurai decides he could make the fire starter work, we'll get the fire starter. If Sakurai picks a grass starter, it wasn't because he wanted to complete the starter trio set. It being a grass starter would've been coincidental.
I don’t want him because of that, it’s just the most likely based on sun and moon being the most recent games.
I’d prefer Sceptile or Serperior.
But I think the starter trio type is a good enough reason to add a grass type, choosing your Pokémon is an iconic part of the series.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
All this talk about Grass-type Pokemon and yet there is little support for Rowlet. I guess everyone's just biased towards the "cool" Pokemon!:p
I really hope that we get a cute Pokémon with either Rowlet or Mimikyu. We already have Greninja, Charizard, Lucario and Mewto for the cool stuff, and only Pikachu and Jiggly as cuties.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I really hope Sakurai just goes ''Grass Starter? Too bad you get Mimikyu!"

Of course then we'd have people asking for Deadpool in the Smash Switch DLC ballot.
More like: "7th gen? Too bad nerds I got the mock up for 8th gen starters back in January of 2017"

Staarih

Smash Master
It’s funny, is it really a grass-type what most want, or a starter? Sceptile, Decidueye are thrown around but not much else. Like, would something like Lurantis satisfy anyone with the type trio thing? Starters stand out though, sure...

Greninja really put this ”type x starter” into motion. Imagine if we got something like Sylveon or Aegislash, type nor being a starter wouldn’t probably matter at this point.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
In the end I don't much care about which between Mimikyu or Decidueye can get in.

All I want is a ghost type :awesome: I obsess over ghost types.

Anyway to go back to the wonderful 101 discussion earlier, some breaking news

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...atinumgames-wants-the-wonderful-101-on-switch

No port being made right now but it’s something they’d like to do
I hope that gives enough hope for wonder red’s future in smash
The Wonderful 101 is truly a, well, wonderful game (as most Kamiya games, really). I hope we'll see more of it in the future.

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
(Also the fact that Sakurai acknowledges visual novels as games makes me consider the possibility of Saber, Okarin, and Nagisa)
Okarin can't make it in as he plays far too minor of a role in Stein's;Gate and Stein's;Gate 0 is too recent.

Hououin kyouma on the other hand would be flippin' excellent. Stabbing himself in the stomach and watching all the other characters freak out would be a pretty dark final smash though.

It'd be really effective in coin matches where all the other characters feel so bad for him they hand him all their coins so he can pay his medical bills.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Decidueye will get in because Sakurai saw potential in making a "ghostly archer" fighter. I don't think Pokken will have anything to do with it. (and I'd love to see Decidueye, I think his unique potential as a fighter is quite large, and a part of me personally would like to see a Fire-Grass-Water trio again)

But Decidueye is nowhere near being pushed by Gamefreak. Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Incineroar have all been more advertised and pushed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ok, I've already asked three others already, and no one could give me an answer. No one even BOTHERED to.
How exactly has GameFreak been "pushing Decidueye quite a bit"?

Pokken is LITERALLY the only thing that has even HAD Decidueye in promotion, and even THEN, it isn't nearly as special as you make it out to be.
I too find it quite weird how people are overrating Decidueye's popularity when it's actually the least popular fully evolved 7th generation starter. And while Decidueye finally did get an anime appearance in the Alola saga's second season, it was a very minor appearance, as its debut episode focused way more on Incineroar.

While its odds of being playable aren't impossible, Decidueye really isn't as popular as one would suggest. But in the end, popularity can end up being overrated when you look at how Greninja entered the Smash Bros. fray.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Including a pokemon fighter in Smash is all the push one needs. An automatic, successful marketing stunt is just including the pokemon.

One can argue that perhaps Gamefreak is pushing the other pokemon such as Incineroar and Mimikyu more, because they are not going to benefit from Smash inclusion.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Anyway to go back to the wonderful 101 discussion earlier, some breaking news

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...atinumgames-wants-the-wonderful-101-on-switch

No port being made right now but it’s something they’d like to do
I hope that gives enough hope for wonder red’s future in smash
If no Nintendo Switch characters (I'm thinking Spring Man and Rex) make it in, I think Wonder Red has some chance, as much as Dillon. Them and Elma are my underdogs for this speculation.

I too find it quite weird how people are overrating Decidueye's popularity when it's actually the least popular fully evolved 7th generation starter. And while Decidueye finally did get an anime appearance in the Alola saga's second season, it was a very minor appearance, as its debut episode focused way more on Incineroar.

While its odds of being playable aren't impossible, Decidueye really isn't as popular as one would suggest. But in the end, popularity can end up being overrated when you look at how Greninja entered the Smash Bros. fray.
What if Greninja became as popular as he is today thanks to Smash? :031:

Including a pokemon fighter in Smash is all the push one needs. An automatic, successful marketing stunt is just including the pokemon.

One can argue that perhaps Gamefreak is pushing the other pokemon such as Incineroar and Mimikyu more, because they are not going to benefit from Smash inclusion.
Delete this! :sadsheep:

Pakky

Smash Hero

:4lucario:- pushed before smash
:4charizard:- Is the actual secondary mascot of the franchise

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
:4greninja: was picked for Smash before the public knew about it.
and then was pushed within the games and beyond.

- Fastest starter

- Absurdly huge movepool

- Great in both offenses

- got two signature moves WS and Mat block

- Got the best ability

----------------

Wheres as in 7th everyone is treated equally

-all have on Z move

- all have one signature move
----------------------------

Incenroar is getting way more attention outside of the games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Probably because Rowlet is so popular? I’m not sure. I agree that besides pokken I haven’t seen him pushed.
That is actually a recurring problem I've seen, now that you bring it up.
People attribute everything about Rowlet towards Decidueye.

But all Rowlet's popularity and promotional status does is affect Rowlet.

This is the difference with Decidueye and Incineroar support, honestly. At least from what I've noticed.
Decidueye's support mainly comes from an unspoken "pattern" by Sakurai.
Just because Greninja, a Water Starter, got in Smash 4, that means the defacto next Newcomer has to be the Grass Starter to "complete the set" with Greninja and Charizard. The whole "ghost archer owl" aspect comes second.

This is exactly why Sceptile suddenly got so much support after Charizard and Greninja were revealed, despite Blaziken always being much more significant as a whole among the Hoenn trio. And when Gen 8 comes around and Decidueye isn't in Smash? People will flock to that Grass Starter like a herd of sheep and leave Decidueye behind like a piece of expired ham just like they did to poor Sceptile.

Incineroar support doesn't really involve it being a Starter, but rather the support comes from the potential fighting style first, as well as the overall concept of its design.
From THAT viewpoint, I can still see how Sakurai might consider Decidueye. But it isn't nearly as guaranteed to be the Pokémon Newcomer as the mob wants to claim/parrot.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
and then was pushed within the games and beyond.

Wheres as in 7th everyone is treated equally and Incenroar is getting way more attention outside of the games.
Greninja was picked for Smash to help promote it before the public was aware.

Gamefreak mapped how they were going to push certain pokemon. Perhaps Incineroar was going to be pushed in movies and the anime and Decidueye in fighting games (Pokken and Smash).

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Another bad theory for speculation:

In Brawl and Smash For, we had four newcomers who were completely hidden (without leaks, obviously): two completely new, two clones/semi-clones

Brawl: :rob::lucario::wolf::toonlink:
For: :4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4drmario:(since he was not in Melee, for this bad theory he'll be considered a newcomer)

In those cases, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt were representing external devices for consoles;
Lucario and Bowser Jr. were newcomers for series that already got at least one new character;
Toon Link and Dr Mario are Melee veterans clones revamped (Young Link -> Toon Link, Dr. Mario -> Dr. Mario with final smash).
Dark Pit and Wolf are there to include a third character.

Conclusion?
Pichu for Smash V. Checkmate Decidueye, Incineroar, Mimikyu and the rest.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Greninja was picked for Smash to help promote it before the public was aware.

Gamefreak mapped how they were going to push certain pokemon. Perhaps Incineroar was going to be pushed in movies and the anime and Decidueye in fighting games (Pokken and Smash).
That's a little bit of wishful thinking as no one in 6th gen but Greninja was promoted and despite his popularity there was no push for him to be in Pokken.

Mimikyu has gotten the most out of everyone in 7th gen to be honest

-Big push upon release with the song

- design lore echoes 20 years of pokemon

- has a Z move

- has a unique ability

- Is in Pokken

- Is a main character in the anime

- has a event in the games

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

He’s really popular, even if I prefer incineroar I can tell from just the reception he has had he has a larger fan base than the other two.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Since other people are doing it, **** it here's my predictionish roster

Paper Mario: a popular and relevant character with the potential to be a unique fighter, if any mario character gets in it should be him imo.

Dixie Kong: Tropical Freeze's timing makes her a perfect candidate, she's popular too and would have an interesting moveset

K Rool: The ballot is likely to inform the new roster and K Rool is ridiculously popular and would be unique, may be less likely that some of the others but has a decent shot.

Impa: Zelda needs another rep imo and no one is important enough to the series as her, hyrule warriors probably caused her to do decently well on the ballot so it's not out of the realm of possibility at all imo.

Bandana Dee: Important, relevant, unique, the perfect combo.

Wolf: A no-brainer given the fact that Star Fox Zero exists.

Decidueye: Gamefreak is pushing him quite a bit, he was the only new fighter in pokken dx's base game after all. He would've been chosen before sun and moon was out so popularity wouldn't be a factor, instead his unique design and moveset potential would likely inform sakurai's decision, and he may want to opt for a grass starter to complete the trio.

Isabelle: A staple to animal crossing already and ridiculously popular, I'd be shocked if this didn't happen.

Elma: Xenoblade X's timing makes her a prime candidate and her moveset potential is massive.

Icies: duh...

Takamaru: He's been considered twice but was kept out for being practically unknown to the west, since Smash 4's roster was planned his game was ported over here and his popularity among the smash fanbase has grown exponentially.

Rayman: May not be the most likely choice but he was a trophy in the last game, the only 3rd party series not playable to get one, he likely performed well on the ballot and Ubisoft and nintendo have had a great relationship as of late, I could see them asking for his inclusion like kojima did with snake.

and for fun I made a less realistic one too, pretty much just cause I wanted to put Lara, Ridley, Krystal, Isaac and Mipha on there.
I'd be super happy with this roster, minus the fact that I'd want Ridley on it.

D

Deleted member

He’s really popular, even if I prefer incineroar I can tell from just the reception he has had he has a larger fan base than the other two.
....again, that doesn't answer my question whatsoever.

Please read the post again.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
....again, that doesn't answer my question whatsoever.

Please read the post again.
Gamefreak know when they hit a winner.

Rockruff and Lycanroc promotion everywhere with the tech, in the games and making a new form. It was done because he was popular and well liked.

Other Pokémon each generation who get this like Lucario and Greninja get a ton of pushing for when they do strike gold.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Rockruff and Lycanroc promotion everywhere with the tech, in the games and making a new form. It was done because he was popular and well liked.

Other Pokémon each generation who get this like Lucario and Greninja get a ton of pushing for when they do strike gold.
Well what about Decidueye then? What promotion? Besides Pokken.
Golden will never get an answer, poor man.

D

Deleted member

You are still not getting what is being asked.

I am asking why people are saying GameFreak is heavily pushing Decidueye....when Pokken is literally the only thing that it has at this point in time in regards of promotion.

Well what about Decidueye then? What promotion? Besides Pokken.
Golden will never get an answer, poor man.
It's like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

"The World May Never Know...."

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
GameFreak knows they hit a winner.

The winner they really hit was Mimikyu.

He's had the promotion, the merchandise, the big role in the anime, he's directly tied to the mascot of the franchise and people love him for it.

He honestly seems like they give two ****s about keeping this Pokemon as a part of the longtime legacy of the franchise.

I definitely think everyone is gonna be all ''BUT WHAT?" when he gets revealed for Smash over anyone else, but he just actually makes a **** ton of sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No, the real "BUT WHAT?" will be Bewear. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom