• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Decidueye seems to be waving Rowlett's popularity a bit. Aside from Pokken there is not much promotion being made with it compared to other Pokemon.

I would prefer him over the others as conceptually he would bring something interesting to Smash, but if Incineroar or Mimikyu got in instead I would not be surprised. Incineroar even has a fighting atyle yet to be represented in Smash in the form of wrestling.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It’s funny, is it really a grass-type what most want, or a starter? Sceptile, Decidueye are thrown around but not much else. Like, would something like Lurantis satisfy anyone with the type trio thing? Starters stand out though, sure...

Greninja really put this ”type x starter” into motion. Imagine if we got something like Sylveon or Aegislash, type nor being a starter wouldn’t probably matter at this point.
I'd 110% be up for Lurantis. Love that thing.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
GameFreak knows they hit a winner.

The winner they really hit was Mimikyu.

He's had the promotion, the merchandise, the big role in the anime, he's directly tied to the mascot of franchise and people love him for it.

He honestly seems like they give two ****s about keeping this Pokemon as a part of the longtime legacy of the franchise.

I definitely think everyone is gonna be all ''BUT WHAT?" when he gets revealed for Smash over anyone else, but he just actually makes a **** ton of sense.
He wouldn't be that much of a surprise honestly.
If Decidueye was not considered, Mimikyu would probably be the one everyone put in their roster.
A Pokémon who hates Pikachu? Awesome.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You also have a really funny trailer potential with Mimikyu of someone like Luigi mistaking him for Pikachu.

Luigi lifts the disguise and we're all ''LUIGI NO!"

And then ''Luigi is ****ing dead" becomes the new Smash meme.

D

Deleted member

He wouldn't be that much of a surprise honestly.
If Decidueye was not considered, Mimikyu would probably be the one everyone put in their roster.
A Pokémon who hates Pikachu? Awesome.
That's why the real surprise that makes sense in hindsight would be Bewear. :V

Seriously.

Major recurring role in the anime, much bigger than Jigglypuff EVER had.
Gets just as much merchandise as the base starters and Mimikyu.

This thing is a stealth mascot for the region.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
GameFreak knows they hit a winner.

The winner they really hit was Mimikyu.

He's had the promotion, the merchandise, the big role in the anime, he's directly tied to the mascot of the franchise and people love him for it.

He honestly seems like they give two ****s about keeping this Pokemon as a part of the longtime legacy of the franchise.

I definitely think everyone is gonna be all ''BUT WHAT?" when he gets revealed for Smash over anyone else, but he just actually makes a **** ton of sense.
idk, Sun and moon wasn't out when the roster was probably decided, I don't think they really predicted them to be so popular, and I also don't think Sakurai would've gone with mimikyu if he was choosing based on unfinished gameplay and concept artwork

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Honestly, I would not be surprised with two pokemon characters.
If there is DLC, that seems like a perfect opportunity for an 8th generation pokemon.

Betting on a Grass Starter either way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
idk, Sun and moon wasn't out when the roster was probably decided, I don't think they really predicted them to be so popular, and I also don't think Sakurai would've gone with mimikyu if he was choosing based on unfinished gameplay and concept artwork
Let me explain to you something about Mimikyu.

He's very obviously designed to captialize on the very height of Pikachu's popularity. That's his whole thing. He's one of those characters who is VERY intentionally and carefully designed to be a mass sale type of individual.

Also when the roster was decided Sun and Moon would be well into development. You have to conceptualize each new Pokemon, draw up what they can and can't do. A Pokemon game isn't an easy process by far.

Sakurai would most likely take notice of a Pokemon that is designed to straight up riff on Pikachu, the mascot's popularity.

Sakurai isn't just going to mindlessly go with who LOOKs coolest. That's not even how he picked Greninja.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For the most part Pokemon are chosen to be popular, it doesn't work the other way around. Ash's Rowlet hasn't evolved not because Rowlet is popular but the Pokemon Team promoted him and thus he is popular. Same with Mimikyu.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Unfortunately, I think too many people are trying to figure out Sakurai and use confirmation bias for it to fit their own line of thinking for Smash. Alongside this, people just hop onto whatever hype train not because they like the character in question, but because they want to be right about calling the roster...which is...kinda lame?

I don’t know, I liked being right about a handful of characters. But I don’t really care if i’m right and the character is in. I will care if the character isn’t fun. It’s a game folks, not an art gallery.

On the topic of Pokémon, Decidueye provides a great opportunity to have Ghost and Grass moves together, and could be given archery through his moveset with traps. That’s hypothetical anyway. I do think he’s an excellent candidate to close out the main type trio, but that’s not entirely why I want him.

Mimkyu would be interesting. He’s got popularity, but based on what I know about it, he could also be a Pokeball. Really it just depends on the direction they’d like to take.

I’ll be back later with a bit of a rant on something completely unrelated. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Implying he wouldn't be awesome.

Almost all Team Rocket Pokémon are cool anyway.
Oh, I'm not saying Bewear wouldn't be awesome.

Just that when comparing Mimikyu to Bewear, it's Bewear that would turn the most heads while making a lot of hindsight sense.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Let me explain to you something about Mimikyu.

He's very obviously designed to captialize on the very height of Pikachu's popularity. That's his whole thing. He's one of those characters who is VERY intentionally and carefully designed to be a mass sale type of individual.

Also when the roster was decided Sun and Moon would be well into development. You have to conceptualized each new Pokemon, draw up what they can and can't do. A Pokemon game isn't an easy process by far.

Sakurai would most likely take notice of a Pokemon that is designed to straight up riff on Pikachu, the mascot's popularity.

Sakurai isn't just going to mindlessly go with who LOOKs coolest. That's not even how he picked Greninja.
But he will go with who presents the most appeal as a potential fighter, just like how greninja was chosen, I don't think mimikyu really has that and them looking so much like pikachu doesn't really help.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Oh, I'm not saying Bewear wouldn't be awesome.

Just that when comparing Mimikyu to Bewear, it's Bewear that would turn the most heads while making a lot of hindsight sense.
Or you could add Mimikyu as the obvious choice, and put Bewear as a secret hidden newcomer.
NOW that's how you shock people.

Bonus: 2v2 with Mimikyu and Bewear vs Pikachu and Charizard.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But he will go with who presents the most appeal as a potential fighter, just like how greninja was chosen, I don't think mimikyu really has that and them looking so much like pikachu doesn't really help.
What you think does not equal to what Sakurai thinks however.

This is the man who saw a mannequin teaching Yoga and saw a moveset.

Any moderately popular Pokemon should be easy peasy for him you'd think.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
What you think does not equal to what Sakurai thinks however.

This is the man who saw a mannequin teaching Yoga and saw a moveset.

Any moderately popular Pokemon should be easy peasy for him you'd think.
Wii fit trainer's potential is pretty clear in hindsight, different yoga poses offer HELLA move options. Any pokemon can be made but decidueye pretty clearly shows more potential imo, based on his proportions and his abilities. Mimikyu could make a unique fighter too of course but it's harder to see how they would fight given their body and such. I don't think mimiyu "dances" as well as Decidueye in my opinion. Sakurai could see it differently tho who the hell knows.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mimikyu could be a Pichu stand-in and a newcomer all thanks to the ability disguise.

Below a set amount of percentage points, Mimikyu is a weaker Pikachu clone.
Above the threshold Mimikyu becomes busted, which changes its moveset to that of a pissed off Lovecraftian horror.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How do you even semi-clone a Ghost Fairy Pokemon from an Electric Pokemon?

I do like the idea of incorporating Mimikyu's busted form into him though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
How do you even semi-clone a Ghost Fairy Pokemon from an Electric Pokemon?

I do like the idea of incorporating Mimikyu's busted form into him though.
This could be cheating, but changing electricity attacks into a purple aura bolt reminiscent of Shadow Ball effects.

For example, Pikachu's Thunder Jolt would be turned into a shadow claw (purple electricity with a hand at the end) that performs a similar function.

Thunder Bolt could be reversed, with Mimikyu flashing purple before sending a claw upwards.

I guess not so much of a clone, as a moveset modeled after Pikachu.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
This could be cheating, but changing electricity attacks into a purple aura bolt reminiscent of Shadow Ball effects.

For example, Pikachu's Thunder Jolt would be turned into a shadow claw (purple electricity with a hand at the end) that performs a similar function.

Thunder Bolt could be reversed, with Mimikyu flashing purple before sending a claw upwards.

I guess not so much of a clone, as a moveset modeled after Pikachu.
Honestly the semi-clone idea makes sense, he is trying to mimick pikachu, makes sense to mimick the way he fights. Just throw in some different animations and effects but the attacks could stay generally the same.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ok but I want to flatten everyone with this Pokemon:

.. A man can dream.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just want my damn owl lol.

Decidueye has a lot of neat potential.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Characters that are more likely than you think: #2

Character: Excitebike
Universe: Excitebike
Debut: Excitebike (1984)

Excitebike's History:
Excitebike is the 9th best selling game on the NES/Famicom and one of the most iconic Nintendo classics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

But, it's not a one and done game. There are more installments than most people know. Including Excitebike 64, Excitetrucks, Excitebots: Trick Racing, and Excitebike: World Rally. There are also numerous ports on Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 3DS: 3D Classics, and the game is fully playable in Animal Crossing.

Because of this, Excitebike is not necessarily a "true" retro character so he may very well appear alongside one the same way Little Mac appeared alongside Duck Hunt.

If you're wondering what Nintendo universes are even left, Excitebike is an iconic Nintendo series that would instantly be recognized. Quite possibly one of the most significant ones remaining.

What makes Excitebike unique?:

Excitebike's unique system is the temperature of his bike.
Capture.PNG

Special moves are what increase the temperature of the bike as they are the most powerful. When the meter is full, the bike becomes overheated. This makes the bike less efficient, but it causes his normal attacks to have a fire affect.

The temperature bar is displayed next to his character icon. Similar to Little Mac's meter.

Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Turbo - Excitebike pops a wheelie and accelerates forward. He loses control, but the bike entraps the opponent helplessly like a tidal wave, before the front wheel slams down as a finisher. Like all of his Special Moves, this increases the temperature of the bike.

Side Special: Ramp - Excitebike jumps off of a ramp. This is very efficient for getting around and escaping quickly.

Down Special: Oil - Excitebike spills oil out of his exhaust pipe which creates a trap.

Up Special: Exhaust Rocket - Excitebike uses his exhaust pipe as a rocket. When the bike is overheated, this shoots him insanely high, but causes 10% damage.

Excitebike is a proud Nintendo classic. Perfect material for a surprise character and a historically significant IP.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Characters that are more likely than you think: #2

Character: Excitebike
Universe: Excitebike
Debut: Excitebike (1984)

Excitebike's History:
Excitebike is the 9th best selling game on the NES/Famicom and one of the most iconic Nintendo classics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

But, it's not a one and done game. There are more installments than most people know. Including Excitebike 64, Excitetrucks, Excitebots: Trick Racing, and Excitebike: World Rally. There are also numerous ports on Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 3DS: 3D Classics, and the game is fully playable in Animal Crossing.

Because of this, Excitebike is not necessarily a "true" retro character so he may very well appear alongside one the same way Little Mac appeared alongside Duck Hunt.

If you're wondering what Nintendo universes are even left, Excitebike is an iconic Nintendo series that would instantly be recognized. Quite possibly one of the most significant ones remaining.

What makes Excitebike unique?:

Excitebike's unique system is the temperature of his bike.
View attachment 141963
Special moves are what increase the temperature of the bike as they are the most powerful. When the meter is full, the bike becomes overheated. This makes the bike less efficient, but it causes his normal attacks to have a fire affect.

The temperature bar is displayed next to his character icon. Similar to Little Mac's meter.

Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Turbo - Excitebike pops a wheelie and accelerates forward. He loses control, but the bike entraps the opponent helplessly like a tidal wave, before the front wheel slams down as a finisher. Like all of his Special Moves, this increases the temperature of the bike.

Side Special: Ramp - Excitebike jumps off of a ramp. This is very efficient for getting around and escaping quickly.

Down Special: Oil - Excitebike spills oil out of his exhaust pipe which creates a trap.

Up Special: Exhaust Rocket - Excitebike uses his exhaust pipe as a rocket. When the bike is overheated, this shoots him insanely high, but causes 10% damage.

Excitebike is a proud Nintendo classic. Perfect material for a surprise character and a historically significant IP.
Honestly excitebiker would be dope if they could get that bike to work without looking too weird tbh

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mach Rider with armor that can interlock to form a motorcycle please.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The appeal of Excite Biker is that he's someone consistently on a motorcycle/bike.

Mach Rider turning into a bike for a move is just Wario's bike all over again.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That's why the real surprise that makes sense in hindsight would be Bewear. :V

Seriously.

Major recurring role in the anime, much bigger than Jigglypuff EVER had.
Gets just as much merchandise as the base starters and Mimikyu.

This thing is a stealth mascot for the region.
Bewear is my most wanted Pokemon newcomer lol. I posted about him a lot when I started commenting here and pointed out how he is everywhere, but everyone ignored it. I think Bewear is a real contender.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just want my damn owl lol.

Decidueye has a lot of neat potential.
I feel like I'm one of the few people that wants decidueye not because of typing or "starter trio" shenanigans, and actually really would like to see an owl that's skilled at archery in smash.

I'd probably STILL want Decidueye for smash if he was a Zelda or Star Fox character, as long as it's a similar design to the Pokemon.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Why is everybody assuming we'll only get one Pokemon newcomer? Other than SM4SH, we've gotten 2 in every single game - Pikachu/Jigglypuff, Mewtwo/Pichu, Pokemon Trainer/Lucario, Reworked Charizard/Greninja.

We can get Decidueye and Mimikyu, we don't have to fight and minimize the popularity and moveset potential of one to prop up the other when they're both popular, both have moveset potential, and both are likely on their own merits, so ¿Porque no los dos?

EDIT: Unless you throw Bewear in there, then you can fight to the death.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The appeal of Excite Biker is that he's someone consistently on a motorcycle/bike.

Mach Rider turning into a bike for a move is just Wario's bike all over again.
Mach Rider could interlock different parts at different times: constructing a turret, parts of a motorcycle, and using spinning tires as melee attacks. He would be a mode character.

Although, a mounted Mach Rider would be great as well.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I feel like I'm one of the few people that wants decidueye not because of typing or "starter trio" shenanigans, and actually really would like to see an owl that's skilled at archery in smash.

I'd probably STILL want Decidueye for smash if he was a Zelda or Star Fox character, as long as it's a similar design to the Pokemon.
There's a bird really skilled in archery in Zelda: Revali.
But he is really unlikely and probably a one-off character. Still would be cool.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Why is everybody assuming we'll only get one Pokemon newcomer? Other than SM4SH, we've gotten 2 in every single game - Pikachu/Jigglypuff, Mewtwo/Pichu, Pokemon Trainer/Lucario, Reworked Charizard/Greninja.

We can get Decidueye and Mimikyu, we don't have to fight and minimize the popularity and moveset potential of one to prop up the other when they're both popular, both have moveset potential, and both are likely on their own merits, so ¿Porque no los dos?

EDIT: Unless you throw Bewear in there, then you can fight to the death.
I'm under the impression that we are going to have less newcomers overall unless there are several cuts. I'd like to believe that Sakurai is trying the "no cuts" route with a smaller newcomer list than normal, because losing characters sucks really bad. Also if I expect less newcomers, then I'll be excited when there's actually a strong number of them.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The thing is I can see merits in all of the Pokemon.

Bewear is a darkhorse who can fill a void not on the roster and is also popular.

Icineroar is a wrestler and we've yet to see that play type in Smash Brothers.

Decidueye is a grass starter and I do believe Sakurai would find that important since he's the same guy who belives there should always be a kid Link in Smash because it's an important role in Zelda games just like the starter types are in Pokemon.

Mimikyu is a Ghost/Fairy pokemon with ties to the series mascot and popularity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom