• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Project X Zone also lacks notorious characters like Megaman, Sonic, Pac-Man, Marth and Shulk. The last two in the second game.

You don’t know what awful single player really feels like.
X Zone has Megaman X, what the **** are you talking about
Not only that, but it also has the current flagship title of Namco represented.

That's subjective. I love the single player, as do many others. The point is; it offers 30+ hours of experience. What is lacking here for you?

Also...yes it has. Look at the online sub-forum, social media, and to people you know in real life. A lot of people dislike the online/netcode.
Liking it and being good are two different things. You can be objective when it comes to evaluating these things.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Project X Zone also lacks notorious characters like Megaman, Sonic, Pac-Man, Marth and Shulk. The last two in the second game.
???

Mega Man X was in Project X Zone.

Also, it should be "famous", not "notorious". You use the latter for a bad fame.

D

Deleted member

X isn’t the same character as NES Megaman.

And Pac-Man is a key character for Namco, so him not being in is awkward.

???

Mega Man X was in Project X Zone.

Also, it should be "famous", not "notorious". You use the latter for a bad fame.
I’ll edit the message then.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

And Pac-Man is a key character for Namco, so his abscense is awkward.
His absence isn't awkward at all. I'd go as far as to say that his inclusion in smash is awkward due to him not being particularly popular, just well known.

And Pac-Man is a key character for Namco, so his abscense is awkward.

I’ll edit the message then.
X is a suitable representation for the franchise.
Not to mention that X and Zero are two of the most popular characters in megaman history.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Liking it and being good are two different things. You can be objective when it comes to evaluating these things.
Objectively speaking; it has 30 hours of game play in two different modes.

It being good is entirely an opinion. This isn't something with any factual evidence pointing towards one correct answer. Being objective would be to point out its flaws (which it has) and good (which it has). Some people like games like these that are collect-a-thon rush battles, others won't. The mode appeals to different kinds of people.

If you don't like World of Light there's always the Spirit Board which is essentially Event Matches/Special Orders combined, and then there's 75 unique classic mode paths to go through. That's a lot of single player content. That's just a fact.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I missed Popo and Nana so much! I still need to get used to them again.
I find it nice to play as Snake again too.

And while we didn’t get new Codecs due to a certain thing, i am glad that the ones from Brawl are at least kept.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I speculate nothing's going to happen and that we shouldn't get our (read: @Ura 's) hopes up.
I'm not raising any hopes, as I'm not that game fan. That was put just for speculations.. for whoever wishes to do that

D

Deleted member

“Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday Dear Jesus! Happy Birthday to You!”

D

Deleted member

Why Mario needs to be on a penguin costume to slide.

That’s as strange as Rayman not being able to punch or hang to ledges without magic.

D

Deleted member

You can be hairy as him even earlier than if you are genetically inclined to that.
I don’t know why, but I get the mental image of a teenage Mario wrapped up in a massive ball of hair whenever I read that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Pac Man isn't particularly popular?

Did...

Did I transport back in time to early Smash 4 speculation?

Did I do the Time Warp again?

Jesus.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

Did...

Jesus.
When was the last time pacman had a new game?
Or in the context of smash, how high was he on peoples' list to get in before he was announced.
Or, how about some character usage data from smash 4 or ultimate?
I'll wait.

D

Deleted member

Did...

Jesus.
We’re all stuck in a crazy time loop. One minute we’ll transported back to pre-Smash 3DS speculation where Pac-Man isn’t popular, the next we’ll be transported to August where Isabelle supposedly is a crappy inclusion. Who knows where we’ll end up next?:p

osby

Smash Obsessed
Or in the context of smash, how high was he on peoples' list to get in before he was announced.
I'll wait.
"I'll say what I want and you need to find proof, not me."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Did...

Jesus.
Pac-Man is possibly not popular in the Smash fanbase.
Calling him unpopular overall however is plain wrong and ignorant. Arguably the most well known video game character.

There is a distinction Smash popular and global popular. Some characters are in both but that's pretty rare. It's why we have "Smash" picks...you cater to your install base sometimes for good measure.

Examples:

Banjo and Geno are very popular within the Smash fanbase, but are a wet fart globally.
Lara Croft is very popular globally, but a wet fart in the Smash fanbase.

It's good that we combine both sides to make the roster as unique and diverse as possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll wait.
Pac-Man was a character who almost everyone expected to see in, because Namco was working on Smash 4.
He is also a good character in the competitive scene, apparently.

He is getting many mobile games these years, and his latest game was Championship Edition 2, which got ported to Switch.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I got a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player's guide for Christmas! I'll likely be using it to update the Smash Wiki. (I’d include a picture, but it's making the server have a stroke.)

D

Deleted member

I got a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player's guide for Christmas! I'll likely be using it to update the Smash Wiki. (I’d include a picture, but it's making the server have a stroke.)
Same problem with the picture of my gifts.

I am looking forward to see the updated info!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'll wait.
Look 2013-14 me called.

He said he ain't going through this **** again 3-4 years later.

I'll just leave you with the words ''Pac Man Fever." which were actually coined to represent how popular Pac Man was, because again. Pac Man is a legacy character who is far more important to the success of gaming than about half the roster of Smash.

Oh god, 2013-14 me called. He said I did it again and had to explain something that should be obvious to anyone who plays video games again. God, what an embarrassment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

His last game, was made about, 2-5 years ago, it depends what you count as a "new game", but, either way you put, that isn't that long ago, especially compared to some of the other characters on the roster...
Megaman was more obscure than Pac-Man during the time Smash 4 released (in regards to game releases and marketing).

You aren’t wrong.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Look 2013-14 me called.

He said he ain't going through this **** again 3-4 years later.

I'll just leave you with the words ''Pac Man Fever." which were actually coined to represent how popular Pac Man was, because again. Pac Man is a legacy character who is far more important to the success of gaming than about half the roster of Smash.

Oh god, 2013-14 me called. He said I did it again and had to explain something that should be obvious to anyone who plays video games again. God, what an embarrassment.
Yes, how popular pacman WAS.
Pac man is a legacy game, anyone knows this.
But is pac man, the character himself someone that people REALLY wanted in smash along the lines of K.Rool/Ridley/etc.? **** no dude, nobody was asking for pac man, and if he's cut I doubt that he'll be highly requested to come back.
Pac-man himself is not popular, I will stand by this statement.
People know who he is
People know about his game
But he is not a character that people are begging to play as.
He never has been.
And he never will be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
RelaxAlax talked in a video about a japanese player on the competitive scene who was great with the character.
You can be great with pretty much any character in Smash For.

But is pac man, the character himself someone that people REALLY wanted in smash along the lines of K.Rool/Ridley/etc.? **** no dude, nobody was asking for pac man, and if he's cut I doubt that he'll be highly requested to come back.
People know who he is
He never has been.
And he never will be.
I too, love free style poems (though the ending was a bit too dramatic).

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
People know who he is
He never has been.
And he never will be.
I can kind of see where you're coming from with this. I was super excited for Pac-Man in Smash 4 because I'm actually a pretty big fan of the series. But he doesn't come up nearly as often when talking about iconic characters in the game. Like, the things people have said about Cloud, Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker, etc. are a lot less subdued than the reaction people had to Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
RelaxAlax talked in a video about a japanese player on the competitive scene who was great with the character.
Hm, was it Tea? He's actually really good, if you watch his sets.

Wins on Elegant, KEN, Abadango and Kameme among top players are nice. I guess that still doesn't Pac-Man from being limited for the most part.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I mean the character isn't awful and he has some good kinda gimmicky things going for him, but to call him "good in the competitive scene"? Nah. idk about Ultimate yet but definitely not in Smash 4.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
First Impressions for Ultimate:

• Game feels phenomenal as a whole. A lot faster on the whole
  • For Veterans, Yoshi and Bowser feel much better than in 4. Link feels worse, and everyone else is pretty much the same.
  • The only "newcomers" I've unlocked are Inkling and Pokemon Trainer. Inkling and Squirtle feel amazing to play.
  • Spirits mode is fun. My free one was Stanley, who is proving to work well.
  • Online is... okay. I'm okay with a variety of battle types, so I don't get too upset when put in a FFA.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
You know this isn't a good argument when :ultkrool: exists

Who despite not appearing in a game for a very long time, is quite popular
The collection of him not being in a recent new game, and him not being a highly requested character was a package deal.
K.Rool's been highly requested for years.
You can be great with pretty much any character in Smash For.

I too, love free style poems (though the ending was a bit too dramatic).
You can "be great" with a character.
But that doesn't change them from being worse than other characters.
I'm glad you like my poem. I call it "fuque Paque-maun".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom