• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I wouldnt mind if Sakurai stopped making these games for a while, a long while to be exact
I just don't think they can make a Smash Bros. game without him. If they wanted to keep porting/updating Ultimate, it'd be fine with me...as long as my save file transfers over and I never have to unlock everything again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just don't think they can make a Smash Bros. game without him. If they wanted to keep porting/updating Ultimate, it'd be fine with me...as long as my save file transfers over and I never have to unlock everything again.
Honestly I don't know the mechanics of making a port, but if it put a lesser work load on Sakurai and his team to make each new installment a port for the sake of no cuts, etc, and they added a few newcomers each time. I'd be fine.

It cuts into a lot of Sakurai's issues with making each new installment, but I don't know if it's entirely feasible either.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas ya'll. My copy of Ultimate arrived yesterday so I've been pretty busy with it :p
Currently in love with Ridley, god he's everything I ever wished for and I would have gotten a 9.9 in my first Classic Run if I didn't die to Master and Crazy Hand.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They could honestly get away with porting Ultimate for the next console. Give us a handful of newcomers and stages, 2-3 quality new modes, and improved UI/online and the game is worth the full price.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I don't know the mechanics of making a port, but if it put a lesser work load on Sakurai and his team to make each new installment a port for the sake of no cuts, etc, and they added a few newcomers each time. I'd be fine.

It cuts into a lot of Sakurai's issues with making each new installment, but I don't know if it's entirely feasible either.
See, the problem is that Sakurai is the kind of person who hates sequels. He’s the kind of guy who wants each game to be new and different. It’s why he left the Kirby series three games in. If he’s still on the team, we’re never getting ANYTHING like this.

Personally I think it’s time for him to go. He’s had his fun, but at this point he’s basically just a Smash mascot.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Personally I think it’s time for him to go. He’s had his fun, but at this point he’s basically just a Smash mascot.
I have never seen a more incorrect statement.

Smash is what it is because of this man, he's a little more than just a mascot of the series.

Reggie put it best recently.

Sakurai is an amazing encyclopedia of gaming knowledge and know how. The Smash series is the biggest crossover purely because of his brain and what he can do.

I don't think anyone can even come CLOSE to doing what Sakurai has done with Smash, unless that person was themselves a protege of Sakurai.

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I have never seen a more incorrect statement.

Smash is what it is because of this man, he's a little more than just a mascot of the series.

Reggie put it best recently.

Sakurai is an amazing encyclopedia of gaming knowledge and know how. The Smash series is the biggest crossover purely because of his brain and what he can do.

I don't think anyone can even come CLOSE to doing what Sakurai has done with Smash, unless that person was themselves a protege of Sakurai.
I think you all give the guy too much credit.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Well if you remember back on Wii, the original planned for simply porting Melee to Wii and adding online. This was when Sakurai didn't even know Iwata basically trying to goad him into making a new one. I'm not even sure a port would be profitable, considering all of the third parties that would have to be involved again. Especially with third party characters being added as DLC. But a port of Ultimate to another system would basically mean no Sakurai involvement.

Personally, Sakurai should move onto another IP (like F-Zero or something) or retire and basically refuse to make any more.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think you all give the guy too much credit.
Lol.

Okay.

Personally I think you're probably most likely just butt hurt over ''MY FAVORITE CHARACTER THO!" if you can't step back and view what an amazing feat that Sakurai has accomplished.

Again Reggie recently said best.

He's the driving force of Smash Brothers.

You can try to take this away from him, but you'd be wrong.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I agree that the series CAN continue without him, I can agree that at some point it will happen and has to happen, but I will never agree with ''He's just a mascot!" ''HE GETS TOO MUCH CREDIT."

Nah, fam. He's the reason we have the biggest crossover in gaming history. He's the reason Kid Icarus got a revival. He's part of the reason why Fire Emblem was able to save itself. He brought Mega Man back to Capcom's attention. Helped Xenoblade's sales grow through including Shulk. Because of his attempts to add fan requests King K Rool is now most likely back to stay. He's the reason we see retro gaming characters like R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, etc in a modern game when they could just be setting on a shelf.

I don't think some of you are thinking through just how much Sakurai has accomplished with Smash, even OUTSIDE of Smash.

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Lol.

Okay.

Personally I think you're probably most likely just butt hurt over ''MY FAVORITE CHARACTER THO!" if you can't step back and view what an amazing feat that Sakurai has accomplished.

Again Reggie recently said best.

He's the driving force of Smash Brothers.

You can try to take this away from him, but you'd be wrong.
Get a grip. My favorite character got in during Smash 4, nice ****in' try though.

Sakurai isn't making the game himself, he has a team to work with that gets no credit. You guys just nutride sakurai, and just dismiss all the bad stuff that saddles these games that have been problems for multiple games (Trash online, certain characters still having horrible movesets).
But no, daddy sakurai the god, all hail sakurai.

Biggest crossover in gaming history? You're either delusional, or ignorant. There have been games that had more or a comperable amount of crossing over in the past that you guys either have not played or just don't care about.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Get a grip. My favorite character got in during Smash 4, nice ****in' try though.

Sakurai isn't making the game himself, he has a team to work with that gets no credit. You guys just nutride sakurai, and just dismiss all the bad stuff that saddles these games that have been problems for multiple games (Trash online, certain characters still having horrible movesets).
Both of your examples are pretty highly subjective. And one straight up still reads like possible butthurt over a character not having the moveset you personally want them to have.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

All he's saying is that Sakurai deserves more credit than being called a glorified mascot - which is quite frankly an absurd statement.

People do criticize Sakurai all the time. You must have missed those.

But I do agree that the team deserve more credit. They also put in tons of work into the project and no doubt have input that effected the game in positive ways.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Looks like I'll be able to play the game much sooner. Dad got me a Switch just gotta get the game is all now which won't be a hassle considering my Christmas money.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Merry Christmas everyone!

Just to clarify, this is a parody of the Grinch with Incineroar as Grinch, Duck Hunt Dog as Max and Peach as Cindy Lou Who respectfully. Also the eight dolls in ice!

D

Deleted member

You see me trashing on Marvel and ranting about everything they have just for UA3?

No?

Then Sakurai shouldn’t be taken down completely just for specific stuff like the online or one character not playing as well as the others.

Because unless you go to tournaments and want to be better than everyone, tier lists don’t matter. And i say this as a Varia Samus (or just Samus for Osby).

It is true that the rest of the team deserves credit, but that doesn’t make Sakurai a mascot.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Biggest crossover in gaming history? You're either delusional, or ignorant. There have been games that had more or a comperable amount of crossing over in the past that you guys either have not played or just don't care about.
So...you are acknowledging the game is a teamwork and then blame Sakurai for the online?

Also, I'd love if you give a few examples of such crossovers.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
All he's saying is that Sakurai deserves more credit than being called a glorified mascot - which is quite frankly an absurd statement.

People do criticize Sakurai all the time. You must have missed those.

But I do agree that the team deserve more credit. They also put in tons of work into the project and no doubt have input that effected the game in positive ways.
I don't like the team increasing the input lag for the sake of online. Why? I think Namco's online plan is generally poor, especially as it works counter to what Smash Bros. is. It's not Tekken, which is what their online netcode is primarily for.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Trash Online is partly Nintendo's fault for still not quite getting the grip of how online should work.

You have to remember Nintendo is the equal of your Grandpa and Grandma who still use America Online or Internet Explorer and can't figure out why their task bar moved to the top of the screen in some ways.

KMDP

Smash Legend
MERY CRIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
What did y'all get this year?
I got an SNES Classic and a **** ton of gift cards.
A very Merry Christsas to you, Squashini.

I got...

Puyo Puyo Tetris
Soulcalibur VI
A Jumper (Sweater for Americans)
My Hero Academia Vigilantes Volume 2
A "Candy Pizza"
Two Bags of "Wine Gums" (a type of Gummy Candy, doesn't actually contain Alcohol)

Finally, a Snowglobe I used to have as a Child got it's Glass repaired.

D

Deleted member

The ones that come to my mind aren’t just games, tbh:

-Cartoon All-Stars to the rescue.
-Rogger Rabbit.
-House of Mouse.
-The Marvel vs DC event from the 90s or 80s on comic books.
-LEGO Dimensions to some extent.
-Playstation All-Stars

Most of these aren’t as good as Smash, imo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The ones that come to my mind aren’t just games, tbh:

-Cartoon All-Stars to the rescue.
-Rogger Rabbit.
-House of Mouse.
-The Marvel vs DC event from the 90s or 80s on comic books.
-LEGO Dimensions to some extent.
-Playstation All-Stars

Most of these aren’t as good as Smash, imo.
Most of these aren't video game crossovers to begin with.

Absolutely nothing.
So relatable.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
You see me trashing on Marvel and ranting about everything they have just for UA3?

No?

Then Sakurai shouldn’t be taken down completely just for specific stuff like the online or one character not playing as well as the others.

Because unless you go to tournaments and want to be better than everyone, tier lists don’t matter. And i say this as a Varia Samus (or just Samus for Osby).

It is true that the rest of the team deserves credit, but that doesn’t make Sakurai a mascot.
Sakurai/The Dev team/Nintendo dropped the ball on their most anticipated game of the next 5 years. If any other game had the garbage onlinee and single player content that Ultimate has they'd be crucified.
So...you are acknowledging the game is a teamwork and then blame Sakurai for the online?

Sakurai allegedly has massive sway when it comes to smash. If the online is and has been garbage for 10 years then what does that say about the leader of the development of smash that you people worship?
An example of a comperable crossover?
Project Cross Zone, a game that actually has character interaction between franchises and a large roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We now have characters from Nintendo, Sega, Konami, Namco, Atlus (though a subsidary of Sega it still counts), Square, Capcom.

There are 32 series represented through playable status, more included when you include other facets like assist trophies and Spirits.

Ultimate saw content from Indie Games make their way into Smash in a big way. Shantae and Shovel Knight both got a ton of love with Shovel Knight even being deemed special enough to be an assist trophy.

And yet this apparently isn't the biggest video game crossover in history? Alright then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai/The Dev team/Nintendo dropped the ball on their most anticipated game of the next 5 years. If any other game had the garbage onlinee and single player content that Ultimate has they'd be crucified.
... No.

If i got a game like Ultimate, but with other medium as the theme (comics, movies, manga/anime or even books), i would be all for it.

If anyone wanna add me on Switch: SW-4350-2362-0253
You will receive a friend request from me.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Sakurai allegedly has massive sway when it comes to smash. If the online is and has been garbage for 10 years then what does that say about the leader of the development of smash that you people worship?
Project Cross Zone, a game that actually has character interaction between franchises and a large roster.
Single player has about 30 hours of content go to through. Whether you like it or not is irrelavant; it's more than most fighting games can offer.

The online has been criticized since day 1

What are you arguing here?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I speculate nothing's going to happen and that we shouldn't get our (read: Ura Ura 's) hopes up.
wha...wha...WHAT???

Sorry I'm out of the loop and I need to read up on this lol.

Of course from the Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven trademark renewals, nothing came out of it. But hey it isn't going to stop me from hoping lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Subjective. I loved single player content and online is meh at worst for me. The game got good criticism all around and is selling like crazy, so if you want to prove it's bad, you need more proof.

I'm not worshiping anyone. But online is not the responsibility of director.

Also, Project X Zone is good but lacks the gameplay and star power of Smash.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Single player has about 30 hours of content go to through. Whether you like it or not is irrelavant; it's more than most fighting games can offer.

The online has been criticized since day 1

What are you arguing here?
Ultimate has 30 hours of awful single player to slog through, what's your point?

The online has not been criticized, but not crucified to the degree that it should have been. This is a common trend with nintendo games.

D

Deleted member

Subjective. I loved single player content and online is meh at worst for me. The game got good criticism all around and is selling like crazy, so if you want to prove it's bad, you need more proof.

I'm not worshiping anyone. But online is not the responsibility of director.

Also, Project X Zone is good but lacks the gameplay and star power of Smash.
Project X Zone also lacks iconic characters like NES Megaman, Sonic, Pac-Man, Marth and Shulk. The last two in the second game.

Ultimate has 30 hours of awful single player to slog through, what's your point?

The online has not been criticized, but not crucified to the degree that it should have been. This is a common trend with nintendo games.
You don’t know what awful single player really feels like.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

That's subjective. I love the single player, as do many others. The point is; it offers 30+ hours of experience. What is lacking here for you?

Also...yes it has. Look at the online sub-forum, social media, and to people you know in real life. A lot of people dislike the online/netcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom