• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
imo any undertale character being in smash bros or any fighting game would kind of ruin the whole point of the games since its ultimately based around non-violence and basically punishes you for direct combat

i mean that theme is also very preachy and pretentious as it is but i really hope toby fox would be true to his art in favor of a massive paycheck? its not like undertale wasn't massively successful anyway

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I'll be honest, as much as I love alternate costumes over recolors, the felt Yoshi one is pretty damn lame.
This. Especially since it apparently resulted in the removal of a more visually distinct color...
For no reason? The black yoshi color has been my go-to, so... RIP

Noipoi

Howdy!
imo any undertale character being in smash bros or any fighting game would kind of ruin the whole point of the games since its ultimately based around non-violence and basically punishes you for direct combat

i mean that theme is also very preachy and pretentious as it is but i really hope toby fox would be true to his art in favor of a massive paycheck? its not like undertale wasn't massively successful anyway
This is eerily close to the argument used against Isabelle.

Like, I get your point. But I really don't think it'd be an issue. If I was an indie dev and Masahiro mother ****ing Sakurai asked to use my character, i'd be honored.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

Like, I get your point. But I really don't think it'd be an issue. If I was an indie dev and Masahiro mother ****ing Sakurai asked to use my character, i'd be honored.
i mean isabelle is a zero risk character since they own her, for undertale they have to go to a very specific person with different worldviews

i like to think that artists have any integrity too

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In terms of characters, I don’t necessarily think that Joker getting in means “All bets are off”.

Joker being “ineligible” was based on fans who have assumed that having minor appearances wouldn’t matter. I mean, Cloud already kills the argument, but there’s still a stigma against characters that aren’t super relatable to Nintendo or however we want to word it.

The thing is, even if you place Persona and Joker below Erdrick and Dragon Quest in terms of “popularity”, or being an “icon”, Undertale really doesn’t reach that. No Indie game honestly does. Now, if they add more spirits just like the Pikachu and Eevee ones, I can see Papyrus or Frisk, or Sans. But I for one don’t think you’re getting into Smash unless you’re a gaming character whose series carries a gaming legacy or some other special occasion.

Not saying you guys are silly for seriously considering Undertale. I don’t even know if it’s serious speculation on it as it is. But wanting it is very, very different from expecting it.

At this point I think Erdrick will probably be in the game. The rumor makes it partly easier to make the predictions, but I do feel as though DQ makes a lot of sense if Square is giving another pick.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Really, the only thing Joker opened the way for were more recent game characters.

Other than that, it's business as per usual.

Noipoi

Howdy!
In terms of characters, I don’t necessarily think that Joker getting in means “All bets are off”.

Joker being “ineligible” was based on fans who have assumed that having minor appearances wouldn’t matter. I mean, Cloud already kills the argument, but there’s still a stigma against characters that aren’t super relatable to Nintendo or however we want to word it.

The thing is, even if you place Persona and Joker below Erdrick and Dragon Quest in terms of “popularity”, or being an “icon”, Undertale really doesn’t reach that. No Indie game honestly does. Now, if they add more spirits just like the Pikachu and Eevee ones, I can see Papyrus or Frisk, or Sans. But I for one don’t think you’re getting into Smash unless you’re a gaming character whose series carries a gaming legacy or some other special occasion.

Not saying you guys are silly for seriously considering Undertale. I don’t even know if it’s serious speculation on it as it is. But wanting it is very, very different from expecting it.

At this point I think Erdrick will probably be in the game. The rumor makes it partly easier to make the predictions, but I do feel as though DQ makes a lot of sense if Square is giving another pick.
Who said I expect it? I certainly don't.

I made a wild, out-there, "no way this is happening" prediction and i'm sticking to it.

Am I wrong? Probably, but i'm having fun with it. Isn't that what matters?

Last edited:

R208

Smash Cadet
I hate how it's become fun to **** on Undertale, a really good game, just because it's fanbase is annoying.
A little late, but I'd like to say that the over-hype phase has hardened us. People can trash the game all they want. In the end, we're too busy having fun.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
i mean isabelle is a zero risk character since they own her, for undertale they have to go to a very specific person with different worldviews

i like to think that artists have any integrity too
"integrity"
The message of undertale was absolute hogwash even in the context of the game.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want undertale in the game, but a non-canon crossover has 0 bearing on the story of the game.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

Aside from that only the human and to a point Toriel tried to avoid combat. Most of the main cast is willing to fight when needed and even Toriel will actively fight you. The human also has to fight a little bit to properly get through the game even with the pacifist route. Think Alphys is the only one not having at least one fight and even with her there are hints that she would kill the human if she thought she had to.

Heck there are a couple characters who love fighting. Like Undyne, who suplexes boulders on occasion just because she can.

D

Deleted member

Undertale is the topic discussion? I really don't care but won't complain if it gets in. Smash is more of a 'friendly spar fest' than serious violence I guess?
Tell that to Ridley

TBH, Smash doesn't have any sort of canon and never cared about being super duper accurate anyway, lol. An Undertale character would be fine, and dare I say, fit right in.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Why the hell isn't Incineroar in the little island section of World of Light? It literally looks like Alola! But no, I get all excited to unlock my main in adventure mode and what do I get? Mii gunner.

Don't tell me where he is, I wanna be surprised.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
As long as Undertale brings any of its endgame battle themes with it, I'll harbor no Ill will toward it. That **** is BANGIN'.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
TBH if Sans did happen, he'd probably look like this:

Which would be pretty dang cool IMO.
Speaking of Sans, I have a much better model of him in my Smash 4 modpack.
Even though I'd vastly prefer Frisk/Chara over Sans as an Undertale rep, I'd still play Sans.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Why the hell isn't Incineroar in the little island section of World of Light? It literally looks like Alola! But no, I get all excited to unlock my main in adventure mode and what do I get? Mii gunner.

Don't tell me where he is, I wanna be surprised.
the game considers incineroar a villain, so...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Really, the only thing Joker opened the way for were more recent game characters.

Other than that, it's business as per usual.
That and reinforcing that Cloud (from Playstation JPRG with minimal Nintendo presence) wasn't a one off.

Smash arguments have a terrible habit of declaring that the one example of something doesn't count. Like Sheik for Zelda one off characters, Dr. Mario for Puzzle game characters and before Ultimate, Diddy Kong for characters made outside of Japan.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
That and reinforcing that Cloud (from Playstation JPRG with minimal Nintendo presence) wasn't a one off.

Smash arguments have a terrible habit of declaring that the one example of something doesn't count. Like Sheik for Zelda one off characters, Dr. Mario for Puzzle game characters and before Ultimate, Diddy Kong for characters made outside of Japan.
those first two seem to be rules considering its been like 20 years and we have yet to get another zelda character or another puzzle game character

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So after Joker, I just kinda called off making a list of official predictions that I proudly display, especially since Nintendo has said the remaining four will be as big a surprise as Piranha Plant and Joker.

However, it’s been over two weeks now and I think I have some ideas. The main thing holding me back is not knowing whether or not it will consist entirely of third parties, which I think is a genuine possibility. Because of this, I’ve made two lists of predictions: one of just third parties, and one of a mix of first and third parties.

The order doesn’t really matter. It’s just a quickly thought out hypothetical of how I think they might release if the list was correct.

Mix:
1. Joker
2. Erdrick
3. Porky
4. Sylux
5. Banjo

Just Third Party
1. Joker
2. Erdrick
3. Lloyd
4. Crash
5. Banjo

I really think all of these characters would be surprises. Yes, that could be argued for characters like Erdrick, Sylux, and Porky, but think about it from the perspective of the average Nintendo or general gaming fan. They don’t follow leaks regarding stuff like the fabled Square Rep and Erdrick, and don’t analyze the 1299 character-long list of spirits to find notable missing names like Sylux and Porky.

I do want to give Poochie and honorable mention though, since having Yarn Poochie and not regular Poochie is pretty weird. If I had to put him over someone it’d definitely be Sylux.
Sylux’s exclusion is less weird than Porky’s in my eyes where much minor Earthbound and Mother 3 characters like Buzz Buzz and Ness’s dad got in over one of the few characters to have major roles in multiple games. Plus next year IS Mother’s 30th Anniversary AND the “Year of the Pig,” so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that used in some remake of EB or M3, or even just a release of M3 on Switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This fanbase has quite the obsession with declaring head canons as facts and absolutely refusing to budge on them. When something inevitably happens that goes against those said rules, it's either a "one time deal" or "lul mash potato samurai is a troll, that's why it happened".

Noipoi

Howdy!
So after Joker, I just kinda called off making a list of official predictions that I proudly display, especially since Nintendo has said the remaining four will be as big a surprise as Piranha Plant and Joker.

However, it’s been over two weeks now and I think I have some ideas. The main thing holding me back is not knowing whether or not it will consist entirely of third parties, which I think is a genuine possibility. Because of this, I’ve made two lists of predictions: one of just third parties, and one of a mix of first and third parties.

The order doesn’t really matter. It’s just a quickly thought out hypothetical of how I think they might release if the list was correct.

Mix:
1. Joker
2. Erdrick
3. Porky
4. Sylux
5. Banjo

Just Third Party
1. Joker
2. Erdrick
3. Lloyd
4. Crash
5. Banjo

I really think all of these characters would be surprises. Yes, that could be argued for characters like Erdrick, Sylux, and Porky, but think about it from the perspective of the average Nintendo or general gaming fan. They don’t follow leaks regarding stuff like the fabled Square Rep and Erdrick, and don’t analyze the 1299 character-long list of spirits to find notable missing names like Sylux and Porky.

I do want to give Poochie and honorable mention though, since having Yarn Poochie and not regular Poochie is pretty weird. If I had to put him over someone it’d definitely be Sylux.
Sylux’s exclusion is less weird than Porky’s in my eyes where much minor Earthbound and Mother 3 characters like Buzz Buzz and Ness’s dad got in over one of the few characters to have major roles in multiple games. Plus next year IS Mother’s 30th Anniversary AND the “Year of the Pig,” so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that used in some remake of EB or M3, or even just a release of M3 on Switch.
I'm 100% down with that all third party list.

Crash and Banjo are like, the only characters i'm really rooting for that have a chance for dlc.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
those first two seem to be rules considering its been like 20 years and we have yet to get another zelda character or another puzzle game character
I think you're a little off the point there.

It's that people say there will never be a one time Zelda character or Puzzle Game character despite the fact they're already in the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How many and what kind of people do you think will be extreamly unbelieveable and unreasonably angry if Erdrick is actually a thing?
Take the baseline of people angry that Daisy and Piranha Plant are in over Waluigi, then multiply that by how many Square characters people want in over them (let's say 6 for now) and then put that to the power of hatred for people liking things they don't like.

D

Deleted member

Link solves puzzles, and there's three of him.

Man, Sakurai and his puzzle game bias. When are the Dance Dance Revolution games gonna get some love?

cf8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How many and what kind of people do you think will be extreamly unbelieveable and unreasonably angry if Erdrick is actually a thing?
people will get mad over literally any addition

Imagine how many people would get mad over the good professor

(and you can bet it'll happen)

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Half people who don't want another "anime swordsman", and half people who don't want music from the Dragon Quest composer in the game due to his Twitter outbursts about denying war crimes and such.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Isn't there a tip that says Yoshi debuted in Super Mario World?

That had me thinking: "What about the Yoshi game itself?"
The Yoshi game (I think it was called Yoshi’s Cookie) came out some time after SMW afaik.
:ultgreninja:‘D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom