• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Here's my question, why the Hell is the Mother series so loved?

I've played over half of Earthbound, and it's fun don't get me wrong. I like this goofy world, and the interesting stuff is enough to get me to power through the more annoying gameplay elements (screw the inventory), but why is this series so many peoples favorite? Why is Earthbound one of the cult classics?

I don't say this out of annoyance or malice, I genuinely want to know what draws people to these games.
I haven't played it myself, but probably due to many factors like the uniqueness of the world, the characters, and the soundtrack.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
nobody hates anime more then people who watch anime
I dont cause i went out of my way to watch a huge library of stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s and realized how much of it is wonderful instead being a self hating dip**** that only watched stuff from toonami and judges the whole medium based off pictures of anime girls with same faces i saw online and seasonal charts

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember Miyamoto mentioning Pikmin 4, I think after Hey! Pikmin was out as well; Pikmin is just hard for them to develop.

I've played over half of Earthbound, and it's fun don't get me wrong. I like this goofy world, and the interesting stuff is enough to get me to power through the more annoying gameplay elements (screw the inventory), but why is this series so many peoples favorite? Why is Earthbound one of the cult classics?

I don't say this out of annoyance or malice, I genuinely want to know what draws people to these games.
I like the humor, story, music, and battle system, and...uh, well, I'm gonna end up mentioning everything in the game so I'll stop.

Here's this though:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Talking about Minecraft and Walking Dead in the same sentence reminds me of Minecraft Story Mode
Please.
Do not remind me about that ****ing unnecessary pile of ****.
I’d it makes you feel better, Telltale’s Minecraft got to be canceled and only Walking Dead remains to finish the series

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I mean, my favourite thing about it is it's humour, but that's just me. :)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Its probably the setting and dialogue otherwise its a poor dragon quest parody without it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That I understand and tolerate. But this boy, oh no, he was a far cry from the kinds of fans that you're talking about; look for yourself and see what I mean.
View attachment 183461
Wow, that’s extreme. I guess he was desperate when he went against this game. I’d say his behavior wasn’t anything less than pathetic if he really thought this game would suck and wanted people to not buy it. We had nothing to lose for buying the game, so he was the real loser here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So what will Piranha Plant and Joker's Classic mode be all about?

I think PP will be all about fighting the joke characters :jigglypuff64::pichumelee::rob::4duckhunt:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Never played a DQ game but I'm of the mindset that Mother 3 improved every aspect of the series. Earthbound wasn't fun the first time I played it, but it REALLY wasn't fun after I played Mother 3 and tried another EB playthrough
Earthbound is such a comfy grindy game for me but also you right. Mother 3 is one of the best games ever and the QoL improvements are just astounding.

I hate to be that guy but it really is all in the ending, or at least the journey as a whole. It's incredibly moving and the slow tonal shift that still manages to keep its heart was fairly unprecedented. It did a lot of unorthodox things that you just didn't see in a game, such as the world itself. It's not shocking to see a modern RPG now, but it was back then. It's not shocking to see a world tackle heavy themes through the eyes of a child now, but it was then. It's not shocking to preach nonviolence and the dangerous effects of things like child abuse or corrupt cops or a death in the family now, but it was then. Wrap all that up in a compelling and strange and experimental package and you have something that really stuck with people.

Mother 3 especially is just a really wonderful experience. It's heartrending and tragic and deep and strange with a tone unlike almost anything else I've played. By flirting with the unreal it creates one of the most real and raw experiences I've ever seen. It's just powerfully emotional and beautiful while also being juvenile and humorous and odd. It lets itself be a paradox, which a lot of games don't allow. Games usually try to be experimental or flirt with tonal whiplash but few of them actually succeed. Mother did.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Does anyone have an issue where sometimes for no reason the attack button just doesn't work, and the grab button has you shield instead of grabbing instead? At first I thought this was a controller issue, but it's a software issue. Even when I press A and the game says it's an attack input, no attack happens, and even when I press my grab button and the game says it's a grab input, my character shields instead.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Mother 3 is one of the best games ever and the QoL improvements are just astounding.
I'm not in love with Mother 3 like some people are but the combo system is one of the more interesting ways to design a turn based combat system. But really that game is played for it's story more than anything else.
Does anyone have an issue where sometimes for no reason the attack button just doesn't work, and the grab button has you shield instead of grabbing instead? At first I thought this was a controller issue, but it's a software issue. Even when I press A and the game says it's an attack input, no attack happens, and even when I press my grab button and the game says it's a grab input, my character shields instead.
what controller are you using? I've used 5 different gc controllers and it doesn't happen with me

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had that issue with the attack button once, but just once.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm not in love with Mother 3 like some people are but the combo system is one of the more interesting ways to design a turn based combat system. But really that game is played for it's story more than anything else.
It tickled my rhythm-game-loving sensibilities and I respect it immensely for it.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
"Sylux, Poochy, Melmetal, Edelgard and Porky are locks for DLC. So is Geno (Been saying the same thing since Brawl speculation)."

Do these people still exist or not because I hope they don't its been a while since I came here.

Noipoi

Howdy!
"Sylux, Poochy, Melmetal, Edelgard and Porky are locks for DLC. So is Geno (Been saying the same thing since Brawl speculation)."

Do these people still exist or not because I hope they don't its been a while since I came here.
Except for Edelgard and Geno, i've seen zero people call any of those characters locks.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Except for Edelgard and Geno, i've seen zero people call any of those characters locks.
Well then the situation has some what improved but calling Edelgard and Geno locks is still laughable and I hope it stops. Actually calling anyone a lock is silly.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
After Joker's reveal I've more or less given up on trying to even begin to guess what they have in store. It kind of what happened after Cloud was revealed during Smash 4's DLC.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well then the situation has some what improved but calling Edelgard and Geno locks is still laughable and I hope it stops. Actually calling anyone a lock is silly.
Agreed. No character is really a lock for anything, especially if we don’t know for certain if they are in or not. Not even a leaker and their sources are exceptions to that rule.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> Earthbound

> Dragon Quest clone

Haven't played DQ myself but the battle system only seems similar to the first Mother, and yet it still has different stuffs going on~

Also, seems like the story would be much different other than the basic "save world from destruction."

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
My own bias has a desire to see both Dragon Quest and Tales Of included in the DLC as some of the rumors have stated, but I've never been much of a betting man to put much stock in it.

well 6 of them are kind of easy but who would be Lust?
Bayonetta?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seriously, Pride is definitely Incineroar.

It's in his very nature to be a selfish, wild, self-centered jerk who loves himself too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom