• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I see that as shilling.

And despite of this, society still doesn't give a damn about EarthBound nor Pikmin.

Also, I'm beginning to think that SSB is starting to lose it's luster.
I mean Pikmin sells well and there's a significantly larger amount of people who care about Earthbound now when compared to pre-Smash

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
the minimal mario odyssey references were added in order to remind people that mario odyssey exists, and potentially coax people who have yet to buy the game into getting it. the same goes for link and his botw redesign
And the hair in DK's armpit reminds people of what?
Come on man..
I played through both of the Legacy collections...

As for my favorite, it's Mega Man 9. Enough new ideas, yet still feels true to the ideas and philosophies set by Mega Man 1, 2 and 3. Something I feel the other games seem to lack...
9 was good... you didn't like 8? You need to play it in Japanese to do so though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ads aren't inherently a bad thing. Yeah sometimes they're cold, soulless and merely the result of corporate shilling, but when dome right an ad can be an enjoyable experience in its own right. How many people here have gotten hyped over a reveal trailer before? Well guess what, trailers are ads. That Everyone is Here trailer we all got hyped for? That hilarious K.Rool reveal? Every Nintendo direct anyone has ever gone out of their way to watch live? Those were all advertisements meant to get us to buy the game, and I don't regret watching a single one of them.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Come on man..

9 was good... you didn't like 8? You need to play it in Japanese to do so though.
8 was an interesting game... One moment I'm having fun, laughing at the cutscenses, and humming along to Astro Man's theme and then the next moment I'm raging at JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE, and screaming at Aqua Man's annoying boss fight...
It was quite a mixed bag to be honest

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

And despite of this, society still doesn't give a damn about EarthBound nor Pikmin.

Funny you say that when Smash is also got me to try Pikmin and is one of the only reasons I even know Earthbound exists.

...I'll probably give Earthbound a go one of these days, but its just hard for me to get into older RPGs.

D

Deleted member

Come on man..

>comparing a minor design detail like DK haveing armpit hair to an entire ****ing character redesign like Link's in order to promote the new Zelda game

yeah, no

Bionichute

Smash Champion
earthbound is treated so well in smash because a lot of the dev team worked on earthbound before smash bros

also mother was popular in japan lol

D

Deleted member

...What about the first one? :p

Anyways, that's nice to know! :)
Wasn't around for it when it came out, lol. :p I did play it when I was suuuuuper little though, so it and Melee both are probably what made me interested in Zelda?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

1. Mother's been finished since 2006. Nobody cares about it getting another game because it's done.
2. Pikmin has been in development hell for years. People care, it's just the game not showing up anywhere.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So you guys remember that one dude who used exclamation points, frequent allcaps, and a whole lot of salt in his posts? The one who tried to start a campaign to get people to not buy Ultimate?
I wonder how he feels now that his entire campaign has burnt to the ground and is now nothing more than a great big pile of salty ashes. He's probably not too happy about it; I know where to find him on Deviantart, but I can't quite pinpoint how to see his latest activity here or there (or virtually anwhere else, for that matter).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, that’s true.

I’m normally not a platformer player, but the Wooly World BGM got me to get that game. That and the crocheted amiibo.

I guess that’s another reason we all want to see our favorites in Smash. It’s a much more subdued way to try to tell everyone why our favorite is literally the best game ever.
Fantastic way of putting it. Joker being in Smash isn't exciting for fans just because, hey, cool RPG guy. Joker being in is exciting because it's a character we've grown to love from a game we love faithfully recreated in a game people will draw fanart for and look up info about and be excited for. I have no doubt you feel similarly about Dovahkiin - you want to see someone from a game you love mix it up with icons and maybe show up in the crossover fanart too. (And I admit, I'm right there with you - love that Simon and Dragonborn team up idea!)

Castlevania being in Smash got one of my best friends to finally play the games and now she sings Symphony of the Night's praises everywhere. The "Smash bump" can't be understated and I also don't think it's inherently a bad thing. I wouldn't have known about Earthbound without Smash 64 and Mother 3 is one of my favorite games ever. Just funny to think about.

D

Deleted member

So you guys remember that one dude who used exclamation points, frequent allcaps, and a whole lot of salt in his posts? The one who tried to start a campaign to get people to not buy Ultimate?
I wonder how he feels now that his entire campaign has burnt to the ground and is now nothing more than a great big pile of salty ashes. He's probably not too happy about it; I know where to find him on Deviantart, but I can't quite pinpoint how to see his latest activity here or there (or virtually anwhere else, for that matter).
People are allowed to not like a game. Yes, he was being rather annoying and forceful in his opinions, but again, people can have negative opinions.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think that guy was just a troll, to be honest.

I'd believe that there's people out there who don't like this game, but some of the arguments he used against it were just so absurd that I can't imagine he actually believed everything he was saying and was just trying to rile people up.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I think the reason for that is mainly due to the fact that the last Pikmin game was on a failing console and Earthbound really isn't that good in hindsight. The gameplay really doesn't hold up, and if the story didn't have the whole "weird" angle going for it then it probably wouldn't be considered a cult classic like it is today.

D

Deleted member

That I understand and tolerate. But this boy, oh no, he was a far cry from the kinds of fans that you're talking about; look for yourself and see what I mean.
View attachment 183461
did this mofo call the godDAMN P L A N T a Wario echo? the disrespect, it hurts

also he uses ******** as a slur yeah no thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
nobody hates anime more then people who watch anime
we have a right to. The best show this season is this bunny girl senpai show and we all like it, not because it's well written, but only because it's not as poorly written as every other show is and has been for the past 8 years. Honestly this industry has done nothing but fail us season after season.

D

Deleted member

That I understand and tolerate. But this boy, oh no, he was a far cry from the kinds of fans that you're talking about; look for yourself and see what I mean.
View attachment 183461
Again, he’s definitely being annoyingly difficult distasteful, but in the end he’s just expressing distaste.
I think that guy was just a troll, to be honest.

I'd believe that there's people out there who don't like this game, but some of the arguments he used against it were just so absurd that I can't imagine he actually believed everything he was saying and was just trying to rile people up.
Pretty dedicated act if so, he acts in the same in youtube comments. Although I agree he’s likely a troll.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I think the reason for that is mainly due to the fact that the last Pikmin game was on a failing console and Earthbound really isn't that good in hindsight. The gameplay really doesn't hold up, and if the story didn't have the whole "weird" angle going for it then it probably wouldn't be considered a cult classic like it is today.
As much as I love EarthBound and consider it one of my favorite RPGs ever, at the end of the day, it's still a Dragon Quest clone, so ya got me there.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
As much as I love EarthBound and consider it one of my favorite RPGs ever, at the end of the day, it's still a Dragon Quest clone, so ya got me there.
Never played a DQ game but I'm of the mindset that Mother 3 improved every aspect of the series. Earthbound wasn't fun the first time I played it, but it REALLY wasn't fun after I played Mother 3 and tried another EB playthrough

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
He's an obvious troll. I don't get how a lot of you of you didn't figured that out and kept replying to him.
Well, regardless if he's a troll or not, I'm curious to see what he posts next, wherever he may be. Will he come out as one, or still use all kinds of naughty language and allcaps? I'm honestly invested in this like one would be invested in a show they're really into.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Not saying there should be a new entry, just wishing they were more popular.
Here's my question, why the Hell is the Mother series so loved?

I've played over half of Earthbound, and it's fun don't get me wrong. I like this goofy world, and the interesting stuff is enough to get me to power through the more annoying gameplay elements (screw the inventory), but why is this series so many peoples favorite? Why is Earthbound one of the cult classics?

I don't say this out of annoyance or malice, I genuinely want to know what draws people to these games.

D

Deleted member

Here's my question, why the Hell is the Mother series so loved?

I've played over half of Earthbound, and it's fun don't get me wrong. I like this goofy world, and the interesting stuff is enough to get me to power through the more annoying gameplay elements (screw the inventory), but why is this series so many peoples favorite? Why is Earthbound one of the cult classics?

I don't say this out of annoyance or malice, I genuinely want to know what draws people to these games.
Its weird and different in every aspect with strong writing to carry it. You aren’t gonna find many games like earthbound unless they’re directly inspired by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom