• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I respect Minecraft as a game, and I hate the "cringe culture" surrounding it. But my problem with Steve is that he's just a nothing character.

This may be an unpopular opinion of sorts, but I care more about what the characters actually are rather than just what they can do. Not saying a good moveset doesn't matter, but I'm less inclined to get on board with a character with their moveset is all they have to offer. Steve most certainly has moveset potential, no questions asked, but I can't bring myself to care about that if Steve himself is an emotionless blank slate.

There are many other avatar characters in Smash, but at least they can actually emote, have voices, or have some shed of personality. All Steve has is just the "oof" death sound.

Nothing against Steve's supporters, I do feel bad for those who feel like their most wanted characters are hated by everyone.

That's just my own two cents on the matter. If it ends up happening, I won't like it, but I'll get over it. Already bought the Fighter Pass so I'm forced to get him anyway. :p

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
hideki kamiya posted a poll on twitter asking which character his followers would want in smash bros

Dante, Ammy, Wonder-Red, and Viewtiful Joe were the choices

could this mean something? probably not, but bayonetta IS still in the game, and capcom is pretty lenient with letting stuff in to smash too...
Hmm, if he's asking for votes, and this actually turns out to sway something, this would have to be for DLC past Season 1 as that's already been decided.

If that's the case then this bodes well for Phoenix Wright potentially being in Season 1.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Fortnite ain't dying anytime soon, no matter how badly some strangely want it to. There's a difference in being the center of pop-culture and having no one play your game anymore. Game still makes big vbucks and has a large, established playerbase.

Also, I'm gonna be that guy and say both games are fine and the toxicity thrown at them by the internet is silly.
'WAH no u!!!!'

But yeah they're fine I think Fornite's aesthetic is pretty nice, as is Minecraft's in spots.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
The creation of sliced bread predates minecraft by 81 years so why don't we have a character named sliced bread and his echo is loaf.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, if he's asking for votes, and this actually turns out to sway something, this would have to be for DLC past Season 1 as that's already been decided.

If that's the case then this bodes well for Phoenix Wright potentially being in Season 1.
Kamiya has no connections to capcom these days. He just made the characters in the poll.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I respect Minecraft as a game, and I hate the "cringe culture" surrounding it. But my problem with Steve is that he's just a nothing character.

This may be an unpopular opinion of sorts, but I care more about what the characters actually are rather than just what they can do. Not saying a good moveset doesn't matter, but I'm less inclined to get on board with a character with their moveset is all they have to offer. Steve most certainly has moveset potential, no questions asked, but I can't bring myself to care about that if Steve himself is an emotionless blank slate.

There are many other avatar characters in Smash, but at least they can actually emote, have voices, or have some shed of personality. All Steve has is just the "oof" death sound.

Nothing against Steve's supporters, I do feel bad for those who feel like their most wanted characters are hated by everyone.

That's just my own two cents on the matter. If it ends up happening, I won't like it, but I'll get over it. Already bought the Fighter Pass so I'm forced to get him anyway. :p
Technically, :ultmiifighters: and :ultvillager: are nothing characters too, so this argument is kinda invalid

D

Deleted member

So, um... I tweeted my Soundcloud link to Sakurai
and
I think
he actually clicked it
O_o

osby

Smash Obsessed
The creation of sliced bread predates minecraft by 81 years so why don't we have a character named sliced bread and his echo is loaf.
But sliced bread and loaf are kinda niche characters, don't you think? Plus, I think jam and peanut butter might be more deep and interesting character choices while still being recognizable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Loaf has completely different proportions. It'd more than likely end up as a semi-clone.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I see people bring up Game and watch when talking about Steve’s animations, and I don’t think it’s a valid comparison. The key difference between Game and watch and Steve is that Steve actually does naiamte in his original games, it’s just purposefully stiff. In mine craft that doesn’t matter so much, cause it’s first person and the entire world is fairly stiff so it fits. When you bring that into smash, a 2d game with a side-view camera, it becomes a bit more of an issue as the player is getting a constant look at Steve making his animation, or lack there-of more prominent. This would also potentially make steve’s moves a bit harder to read smash is a hectic game where the player has to focus on every character. Steve sticks out. Game and watch, however, doesn’t animate at all, and more importantly is 2d. This gives his animations more flexibility and makes him easier to read. He also sticks out admittedly, but that’s due to being flat and not so much the aesthetics an animations like Steve. Those are my 3 cents anyways.
Yes I know mine craft story mode exists.
They wouldn’t have to port his animations 1-1; small embellishments to them (smoother transitions between actions, leaning into attacks at least slightly, ect,) would go a long way with readability without having to make him more articulated like in Story Mode.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Red's voice in Ultimate is the reason he chooses not to speak in the main series Pokémon games.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
But sliced bread isn't a video game character, so he's already not happening :p /s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They wouldn’t have to port his animations 1-1; small embellishments to them (smoother transitions between actions, leaning into attacks at least slightly, ect,) would go a long way with readability without having to make him more articulated like in Story Mode.
That would help a bit, but I think Steve’s animations are inherently too stiff to work all that well.
i'm inclined to agree with him at the moment
Oh I’m not saying I disagree.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom