• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I get why people want steve, but for me minecraft was always just this distant trend I saw people on /v/ talk about, although it understand it’s signifcance. It’s just that he’d be so ugly, and yes I know that literally the most subjective thing in the world. How would he animate? He’s just not a character i can personally bring myself to care for.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So after playing some online yesterday, I got into Elite Smash with Mario, Snake, Ike, and Cloud. I’m quite happy with myself. I mean, I won one game of elite and then lost 3, so I was booted out until I regained it with Mario but eh.

It’s actually fun. When I was younger I was super overly competitive about it, but the fact that I take local multiplayer more seriously helps as well.

I’m not sure if i’ll try with every character, but just knowing I can do it with more than one is cool. Honestly my favorite part is that i’ve actually nailed some perfect shields and made amazing KO’s off of them. It’s real hype for sure.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Is this "Incineroar is leak bait" 2.0?
I mean Incineroar makes sense being a pokemon character with an interesting moveset.

But Steve? Like come on, next thing you know they're gonna announce a fortnite character with a fortnite dance taunt.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m really sick of this “for the kids” argument people use in defense of Steve, if you support him and are a Minecraft fan that’s perfectly fine.

But I don’t understand this whole implication that kids today need a Minecraft character in order for Smash to appeal their demographic when Mario and Pokemon are already popular with children.

Nobody is saying Smash for 90s kids or something like that, otherwise people wouldn’t also be asking for characters from the 2000s (Isaac, Shadow) or modern characters from this current decade. (Spring-Man, Rex)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean Incineroar makes sense being a pokemon character with an interesting moveset.

But Steve? Like come on, next thing you know they're gonna announce a fortnite character with a fortnite dance taunt.
Jonesy is gonna dab on every other hating character

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed

We literally have a dog that created to laugh in your face when you miss in Smash.

D

Deleted member

So after playing some online yesterday, I got into Elite Smash with Mario, Snake, Ike, and Cloud. I’m quite happy with myself. I mean, I won one game of elite and then lost 3, so I was booted out until I regained it with Mario but eh.

It’s actually fun. When I was younger I was super overly competitive about it, but the fact that I take local multiplayer more seriously helps as well.

I’m not sure if i’ll try with every character, but just knowing I can do it with more than one is cool.
>Mario Main
*War memories of the spammers making fun of me whenever i used Varia Samus*

D

Deleted member

I like how people say Steve's appearance is the problem when Smash Bros. has hundreds of conflicting art styles in it and janky characters like :ultrob: and :ultgnw:.

Then people pull out the generic avatar argument when we have :ultmiifighters: and :ultvillager:.

Let's be real, there isn't any good reason other than some people having this weird, passionate hate for Minecraft. It is the Fortnite of yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Fun game. Which of the three would you want to most for DLC?

Capcom: Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Master Chief, Steve
Namco: Heihachi, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving
Square Enix: Erdirick, Geno, Sora

For me.

Capcom: Monster Hunter
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie
Namco: Lloyd Irving
Square Enix: Sora
Easily,
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Microsoft: Master Chief
Namco: Lloyd Irving
Square Enix: Sora

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean, I do think those are two very different cases. Minecraft has been around for almost a decade in some shape or form, and became a worldwide phenomenon. It's a bigger deal than nine tenths of the franchises already in Smash. That's not to knock Fortnite either; it's just that compared to Minecraft it's incredibly recent.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m really sick of this “for the kids” argument use in defense of Steve, if you support him and are a Minecraft that’s perfectly.

But I don’t understand this whole implication that kids today need a Minecraft character in order to appeal to their demographic when Mario and Pokemon already popular with children.
Besides, I doubt the crowd using this argument wanted a CoD soldier in Smash 4.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I like how people say Steve's appearance is the problem when Smash Bros. has hundreds of conflicting art styles in it and janky characters like :ultrob: and :ultgnw:.

The people pull out the generic avatar argument when we have :ultmiifighters: and :ultvillager:.

Let's be real, there isn't any good reason other than some people having this weird, passionate hate for Minecraft. It is the Fortnite of yesterday.
There's also a big difference between Minecraft, a game that's lasted for nearly 10 years and is still extremely popular among kids, and Fortnite, a game that's only been around in its current state for around a year and could (but probably won't for a while) die out much sooner.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I get why people want steve, but for me minecraft was always just this distant trend I saw people on /v/ talk about, although it understand it’s signifcance. It’s just that he’d be so ugly, and yes I know that literally the most subjective thing in the world. How would he animate? He’s just not a character i can personally bring myself to care for.
Thank god, someone who shares my thoughts

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I do think those are two very different cases. Minecraft has been around for almost a decade in some shape or form, and became a worldwide phenomenon. It's a bigger deal than nine tenths of the franchises already in Smash. That's not to knock Fortnite either; it's just that compared to Minecraft it's incredibly recent.
Yeah I understand why they'd pick him. I don't really care for the reasoning but any new characters are welcome if it brings diversity to the roster.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You’re comparing the DHD to Steve???

Atleast the dog has a goofy design and would make a silly fighter in Smash technically being an Nintendo character and all.

Take it from me since I actually wanted the dog in prior to Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

There's also a big difference between Minecraft, a game that's lasted for nearly 10 years and is still extremely popular among kids, and Fortnite, a game that's only been around in its current state for around a year and could (but probably won't for a while) die out much sooner.
Fortnite ain't dying anytime soon, no matter how badly some strangely want it to. There's a difference in being the center of pop-culture and having no one play your game anymore. Game still makes big vbucks and has a large, established playerbase.

Also, I'm gonna be that guy and say both games are fine and the toxicity thrown at them by the internet is silly.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I'm sorry... what?
There are just so many things wrong with that statement

Last I checked, characters don't get in Smash in order of how long they've been around
It's not too early for Steve to join. Minecraft is about to turn 10 next year, and If characters like Joker (who's only been around for about 2 years) can make it in, Steve is more than possible for Smash

My bias aside, Minecraft is still huge in fact, I'd argue that only franchise in Smash that are more iconic than Minecraft are Mario, Pokemon, and maybe Sonic. That's it...

As for the "not being loved" claim, Minecraft is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. Sitting at a very impressive 93 on Metacritc for the original PC version. The only real reason I feel Minecraft is hated is because of it's obnoxious fan base, but assuming the Smash fanbase is pretty toxic too, I think we're being pretty hypocritical

Besides, Smash is about a celebration of video games, old and new
Imo, Minecraft is one of the most important video game franchises which has yet to get representation in Smash...

Here, let me tell you some of the major milestones Minecraft has to it's name...

• Started as a small indie project, went on to one of the most sought after IPs, up to the point that a Billion dollar company like Microsoft decided to purchase it for a whopping 2.5 billion dollars
  • Notable for not just being big in the west, but also huge worldwide, especially Japan. Even Smash creator, Masahiro Sakurai enjoys it.
  • Helped popularize the Sandbox and Open World genres of games, and made the Let's Play genre of Youtube videos popular
  • Has been used in schools to help promote creativity and teach coding
  • The second best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris

Imo, Minecraft is an important piece of gaming history and is more than welcome in a game such as Smash Bros
Have you failed to read that that was my opinion? or you just took it away for your own convenience?
sigh.. Shin Megami been there since 1992. The rest is too silly to reply to, and since apparently you didn't take the time to read through my lines. Ciao.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You’re comparing the DHD to Steve???

Atleast the dog has a goofy design and would make a silly fighter in Smash technically being an Nintendo character and all.

Take it from me since I actually wanted the dog in prior to Smash 4.
:ultduckhunt: is also one of the most infamous NES games.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I have gotten used to the idea of Steve being in Smash. I'm a huge fan of Minecraft for sure, but I don't think I'm particularly keen on his being in Smash.

It's a good thing that his appearance in Smash literally doesn't hinder my ability to play the characters I'm already playing so the outcome of the DLC is only circumstantially interesting to me anyway.

Characters I want? Nice
Characters I don't want? Who cares, someone out there is happy, and I can still play Joker, K. Rool, and Inkling.

D

Deleted member

No, you are not, please stop talking trash about yourself.
Awwwww, thank you... I'm sorry for being like that sometimes.
Goddammit the fact that I'm listening to this rn makes this way more emotional than it should be

osby

Smash Obsessed
Have you failed to read that that was my opinion? or you just took it away for your own convenience?
sigh.. Shin Megami been there since 1992. The rest is too silly to reply to, since apparently you didn't take the time to read through my lines. Ciao.
Spoiler: Persona isn't Shin Megami Tensei. Plus, it might have started in 1996, but Joker is still pretty young. Plus, Minecraft isn't much younger or older than Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

Then people pull out the generic avatar argument when we have :ultmiifighters: and :ultvillager:.

I see people bring up Game and watch when talking about Steve’s animations, and I don’t think it’s a valid comparison. The key difference between Game and watch and Steve is that Steve actually does naiamte in his original games, it’s just purposefully stiff. In mine craft that doesn’t matter so much, cause it’s first person and the entire world is fairly stiff so it fits. When you bring that into smash, a 2d game with a side-view camera, it becomes a bit more of an issue as the player is getting a constant look at Steve making his animation, or lack there-of more prominent. This would also potentially make steve’s moves a bit harder to read smash is a hectic game where the player has to focus on every character. Steve sticks out. Game and watch, however, doesn’t animate at all, and more importantly is 2d. This gives his animations more flexibility and makes him easier to read. He also sticks out admittedly, but that’s due to being flat and not so much the aesthetics an animations like Steve. Those are my 3 cents anyways.
Yes I know mine craft story mode exists.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
sigh.. Shin Megami been there since 1992. The rest is too silly to reply to, and since apparently you didn't take the time to read through my lines. Ciao.
Steve predates Bayonetta by 5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom