• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm a big fan of HW Zelda.
They gave her full mastery of her light magic, a light rapier, and a goddamn armored combat dress.

**** was cool, yo.

D

Deleted member

I think Zelda could be the ultimate wartime strategist while still being dedicated to research.

I don't see why not considering her triangle of smartwise
I don't trust the Zelda team to handle that kinda story with grace, but if they hand it off to a studio who knows how to handle good story like Monolith Soft or something I would be so happy

B9HyaHey

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping Joker's announcement is a hint to other rpgs, so I made an account just to say that Isaac and Felix from Golden Sun still need some love other than trophy appearances.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They gave her full mastery of her light magic, a light rapier, and a goddamn armored combat dress.

**** was cool, yo.
Yeah, that design was killer. Tecmo just... like... how do I put it.

All of their female fighters are way too anime-y for me. Does that make sense at all.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

**** was cool, yo.
Hyrule Warriors Zelda will always be my favorite Zelda design. And Link design for that matter.

I loved Hyrule Warriors through and through. I feel like they nailed exactly what I wanted from a Zelda Warriors game and then some. Can't say the same for Fire Emblem Warriors sadly.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't trust the Zelda team to handle that kinda story with grace, but if they hand it off to a studio who knows how to handle good story like Monolith Soft or something I would be so happy
Yeah.
Whatever is the best case scenario for this kind of thing.

**** was cool, yo.
The HW designs and concepts for a lot of characters, I'm super into.
HW Ganondorf is still my favorite.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hyrule Warriors Zelda will always be my favorite Zelda design. And Link design for that matter.

I loved Hyrule Warriors through and through. I feel like they nailed exactly what I wanted from a Zelda Warriors game and then some. Can't say the same for Fire Emblem Warriors sadly.
Oh don't get me started on FE Warriors.

But yeah. I don't think we could have asked for a better Zelda-themed Warriors game than what we got, post-DLC.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I like games where I have the option to be evil. Bioware games come to mind, with their Renegade/Rival routes.

It makes you feel powerful when you get to pick them, or all the more rewarding when you don't. If we got to play as a young Ganondorf faced with real problems and different paths to seizing the triforce of power, I'd be so down.

...then again. I fell for this once before.

As a kid, I played this wonderful little obscure game for PS2 called Steambot Chronicles. The game introduced me to morality paths and choices that really mattered in how the game ended and what you did in it, and you can really look at a lot of the things it did as a precursor to what Mass Effect would later go on to do. It's pretty neat to see what games influenced us like that.

I couldn't believe a game promised you an option to play as the bad guy and then actually delivered. It was really cool.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Obviously, it's fake, but TheRealHeroOfWinds just posted a good photoshop of Joker's 'Classic Mode':

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah.
Whatever is the best case scenario for this kind of thing.

The HW designs and concepts for a lot of characters, I'm super into.
HW Ganondorf is still my favorite.
It's also probably the only time I'll ever get to play as Midna.

And I get to play as her twice.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, that design was killer. Tecmo just... like... how do I put it.

All of their female fighters are way too anime-y for me. Does that make sense at all.
Yes, but I like anime trash so I'm a fan.

Speaking of which, you see Trident Ganondorf in HW? It's the coolest he's ever been. The man finally starts tossing electricity and teleporting everywhere. ****'s crazy.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh don't get me started on FE Warriors.

But yeah. I don't think we could have asked for a better Zelda-themed Warriors game than what we got, post-DLC.
I'm looking forward to the Sequels to both. Hyrule Warriors just so I can have more of Hyrule Warriors. Fire Emblem Warriors so they can actually add Hector, and Ephraim, and Eirika, and Roy, and Eliwood, and Micaiah, and Leif, and well, you get the point. Fire Emblem focusing on 3 games really didn't satisfy me like it did with Zelda. At least with Zelda you still got a lot of the most iconic characters like Zant, Impa, Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Midna, etc. And then they even capitalized on the other games with DLC and The Definitive Edition but Fire Emblem Warriors? We got Celica and Lyn... total. Really sucked to be honest. The DLC packs could've been for the other games like Hyrule Warriors was but they were just like nah, more of Awakening and Fates, and a dash of Shadow Dragon. It was incredibly disappointing...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hyrule Warriors should just be considered a Zelda game, if you get my drift. I loved it so much and it, like, felt Zelda-y. Love that story.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
BotW Zelda is second to last?

Don't even
Lol.

I really liked the character design. I didn't like her role in the story or her voice or the concept of her being in a magic stasis for 100 years or whatever. There was charm, but there are too many things I don't like about the execution.

She was like SS's princess, except not as adorable and a nerd. Bonus points for pants though.

D

Deleted member

Hyrule Warriors had the best designs for the main cast(until BotW Link came around). I'd love a sequel to it if it meant they'd actually add Linebeck now. With how many characters they got over its lifespan of rereleases, they should be able to give us more weird character choices.
FEW needs a lot to work on, starting by replacing the Saiyan Twins for Alfonse and Sharena.

D

Deleted member

Hyrule Warriors had the best designs for the main cast(until BotW Link came around). I'd love a sequel to it if it meant they'd actually add Linebeck now. With how many characters they got over its lifespan of rereleases, they should be able to give us more weird character choices.
FEW needs a lot to work on, starting by replacing the Saiyan Twins for Alfonse and Sharena.
How the **** are the gonna top ponytail twink Link in the next game man

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Lol.

I really liked the character design. I didn't like her role in the story or her voice or the concept of her being in a magic stasis for 100 years or whatever. There was charm, but there are too many things I don't like about the execution.

She was like SS's princess, except not as adorable and a nerd. Bonus points for pants though.
Make Zelda the playable character in Breath of the Wild 2: Breath of the Wilder, Nintendo

Cowards

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
yeah her voice was kinda poo which sucks cause I really am behind the idea of a British Zelda. Butt the execution was pretty lackluster.

and don't even bring up SS zelda we all miss her and we'll never get her back the best we have is Smash Ultimate Zelda

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
why is timed mode still in the game

why does nintendo think people still play timed mode

most importantly, why is it the default option
People DO play this, believe it or not. I agree that it shouldn't be the default though. But I played with a bunch of newbies the other night, and some of them preferred it, because they didn't just lose all of their lives right away. Think about playing 3 stocks, and you lose all three within 30 seconds (it happens to people who've never played smash and aren't familiar with platforming in general) and you just have to sit there and wait for everyone else to finish. A newer player may enjoy being able to participate until the very end, and then finding out how well/not well they did.

Edit: I keep seeing my avatar and going "Why does this guy keep saying the same thing as me??"

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
People DO play this, believe it or not. I agree that it shouldn't be the default though. But I played with a bunch of newbies the other night, and some of them preferred it, because they didn't just lose all of their lives right away. Think about playing 3 stocks, and you lose all three within 30 seconds (it happens to people who've never played smash and aren't familiar with platforming in general) and you just have to sit there and wait for everyone else to finish. A newer player may enjoy being able to participate until the very end, and then finding out how well/not well they did.

Edit: I keep seeing my avatar and going "Why does this guy keep saying the same thing as me??"
It's been a long while since I've played stock matches. I mean, I don't say I'm good at the game but even if I was, I'd prefer time matches.

Plus, can't you set preferred rules now?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
ALTP isn't my favorite Zelda - heck I've never actually even gotten around to playing the game she's from - but I do think she's more fitting for her current moveset then BotW would be. It was pretty awkward watching TP Zelda prancing around with glitter magic and an overly squeaky anime voice. The moveset Zelda is stuck with works for her ALTP incarnation just fine though.

I'll bet the whole "more suited for research" line was just a cheeky excuse for why she wasn't there rather as opposed to the real reason.
You got something against nerds, pal?

I'm just joking don't mistake this for actual aggression.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It's been a long while since I've played stock matches. I mean, I don't say I'm good at the game but even if I was, I'd prefer time matches.

Plus, can't you set preferred rules now?
Yeah I was only saying that I'm sure a majority of people prefer stock matches and yet timed is still the default option, but I understand why.

By the way, I have not seen any of you guys complain about the online enough. It is GARBAGE.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I was only saying that I'm sure a majority of people prefer stock matches and yet timed is still the default option, but I understand why.

By the way, I have not seen any of you guys complain about the online enough. It is GARBAGE.
My sister who's pretty casual prefers time because she always dies too fast in stock nd ends up just sitting there while I fight CPUs. She knows she's probably not gonna win in any mode but she still enjoys, like, actually playing the game and trying to disrupt the field even if she has a negative score.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 182860

Can I just say how much I love Daisy and Little Mac in the Squad Strike picture?
It's nice but man, Little Mac should be going against Rosalina, not Daisy. That way you have Daisy and Peach vs Ken and Ryu, both sets of characters with the original and the echo. Plus Rosalina and Little Mac makes a lot more sense regardless.

- Both affiliated with stars.
- Rosalina isn't a princess. Little Mac isn't from Street Fighter.
- Both were Smash 4 newcomers.

Yes this is important. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ALTP isn't my favorite Zelda - heck I've never actually even gotten around to playing the game she's from - but I do think she's more fitting for her current moveset then BotW would be. It was pretty awkward watching TP Zelda prancing around with glitter magic and an overly squeaky anime voice. The moveset Zelda is stuck with works for her ALTP incarnation just fine though.

I'll bet the whole "more suited for research" line was just a cheeky excuse for why she wasn't there rather as opposed to the real reason.

Didn't Sakurai say during Treehouse shortly after that he just went for his favourite designs for each Zelda characters since their no longer bound to a single game anymore? (or the ones he liked at least)

So yeah, he probably only said that to be cheeky. Especially since every Zelda characters have separate design's now rather than mainly focusing on a single game like before.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You got something against nerds, pal?

I beat myself up all the time in high school. I was both a jock and a kid who drew Dragonball characters on my agenda.

Kinda surreal that anime is cool now.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

I beat myself up all the time in high school. I was both a jock and a kid who drew Dragonball characters on my agenda.

>was bullied in school
>mom always said "just wait till you get older, you'll be much more successful than them!"
>fast forward till I'm 20 and I'm just ****posting on smashboards
>the dudes who bullied me are getting drafted for the NFL

what happened

D

Deleted member

My sister is an assistant teacher in a HS, and she runs a little "gaming club" after hours there, and sometimes she brings her Wii U and Switch and games like Mario Party and Smash (even though she loses like all the time to these kids). She says most of the kids tended to gravitate towards either Snake or the FE characters when she brought Ultimate. Make of that what you will.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Okay, so... I just played Katamari Damacy for the first time today. I have to say that this game is just purely endearing and infinitely fun. Also, you feel rewarded after figuring out how to roll up way more things in less time. Anywho, after seeing the Prince in Smash Ultimate as one of Pac-Man's taunts and seeing that we got a completely out there and dream come true dlc rep in Joker... I'm going to say that the Katamari Prince should be the next Bandai Namco rep. Idk how they'll pull off his moveset, but whatevs, just give it to me.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My sister is an assistant teacher in a HS, and she runs a little "gaming club" after hours there, and sometimes she brings her Wii U and Switch and games like Mario Party and Smash (even though she loses like all the time to these kids). She says most of the kids tended to gravitate towards either Snake or the FE characters when she brought Ultimate. Make of that what you will.
That actually brings up an interesting point.

I've been playing a lot of quickplay to fight against characters my local friend group doesn't play, and I am shocked by how many Fire Emblem characters I see. Judging by the hate the series gets on Smashboards, I just kind of assumed the greater community wasn't really into FE characters either.

But in terms of how often I see characters, the top ten are definitely :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultike::ultcorrin::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultryu::ultcloud: in no particular order. Obviously my personal experience isn't indicative of everyone's, but I run into so many FE characters.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i posted this a year ago but i think i should probably post this again since smash ultimate has been released i made alot of video game characters miis so this pic might be useful for you if you are interested

by the way i have way more now but too lazy to take a pic :ohwell:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Whenever I ask most of my friends who aren't into Smash as much as most of us are, who their favorite Smash character is, it's usually either Ike or Snake...
I don't know why, but those are the ones I commonly hear

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wonder if Taizo Hori (Dig Dug) has a shot.

Soul Cal seems smarter though.

Howeve Ubisoft has gotta have someone sooner or later this is getting silly Buck Bumble is in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom