• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Tbh Link does have pretty strong chemistry with Zelda in WW, PH, ST, and (at least before the memory loss) BotW. Maybe a couple of the 2D games too. It's understandable that people would ship the two together
It's not that I don't understand why but a lot of other characters have strong chemistry too but people act as if, since it wasn't shown on-screen, it isn't "canon". It's not even an issue exclusive to the homophobia that surrounds same-gender ships, just look at FE7 and the discussions surro.unding Eliwood's and Hector's wives
One is not like the other.
8djAyCF.png

This actually annoys me a bit. One of the reasons I loved TP was that there was zero romantic subplot for LinkxZelda. (Instead we got Ilia, but in my mind they’re friends, nothing more). BotW’s Zelda was a little to romance-heavy for me...and that also is the basis of why I think Mipha’s by far the worst character (that and her VA)

Granted, everytime we come to this topic, it all goes back to our experiences. I’m ace, so I prefer to consider my heroes without any romances whatsoever (also I’m left-handed, so Link is a canon lefty in my mind and SS and BotW and now Smash are just wrong). I’m the person who will look at most pairings and assume that everyone sleeps in their own beds at night. However, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with filling in gaps in a character’s story yourself. What is wrong is criticizing others when their headcanon is different from yours. If people are reading into things that I’m not (from personal experience, I’m also incredibly bad at picking up cues, so there’s a good chance that someone saying “you’re cute, let’s bang” will translate for me into “friends with benefits”), that's fine.

What anyone does behind closed doors is none of my business. Especially Smash characters. And personally, I’d rather not know specifics.

...yeah, I’m not a fanfic writer. The only real headcanons I have are that Bowser and K. Rool each work together but tbink the others is an idiot, and neither know Ganondorf is manipulating both to his ends. Ridley knows Ganon’s in charge, but he doesn’t care as long as he has free rein to terrorize.

And that one pic on the official site (and Pichu’s new bandana) convince me that Isabelle, Pichu, and Squirtle are all totes BFFs
I get what you mean, I get easily tired of romance subplots when there's no need for them. I feel like Zelda's approach with BotW and SS worked really well but a lot of times I just sigh and roll my eyes when I see a forced romance subplot from miles away flying directly into my face.
There's a reason I really like how Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold handled its obligatory romance as you can keep it as a professional but friendly knight/princess relationship instead of going for the romance the first one forced you in.

Also, I agree on Link being left-handed. I'm not left-handed myself but he was one of the clearly left-handed characters in gaming and I'm pretty sure the only one in Smash and they just... went poof. I'll take Nintendo's stupid motion controls gimmicks having to cater to righties but there was no reasoning for it in BotW.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultsimon:: WHO IS THE PROPRIETOR OF THIS HUMBLE PUB??? I DEMAND A STRONGER MEAD FOR MY COMPATRIOTS
:ultrichter:
: dude why

:ultcloud:: うるさい男が面白いだぜ
:ultryu:: I mean... I guess so.

:ultfalcon:: FALCOOOOOWWWWN CHUUUUUG

Edit: I wish I could draw because I want to make a comic now.
Cheering Falcon on:
:ultken::Yeah, man, go,go,go!

:ultwario::Wah, wah, WAH!

D

Deleted member

:ultfalcon: "Dude why did you bring your grandpa?"
:ultrichter: "He was supposed to be my designated driver..."
:ultsimon: *on top of the table, completely drunk, throwing beer at the waiter trying to get him down* "In the name of God, I sentence you to death!"
:ultshulk: "Sir, please get down, you're disturbing our clients."
:ultsimon: *throws the whole beer can at him* "Take this Holy Water, foul demon!"
:ultshulk: *completely drenched in beer* "Just four more years of college, Shulk, you can do this. You've seen how it ends, you know you can."
:ultfalcon: "You should bring him more often."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Japan is having fun with the curry blush effect.

Just gonna leave a warning that some of the pics are pretty cringy.

This one's pretty great, though:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

TBH I don't know how to feel about this. While I've seen examples of it being cute (the one where Inkling has a crush on Chrom is kind of adorable and got a chuckle out of me) I know people are gonna be weird with it.
I just found one yesterday with M!Robin that you would put under "Lewd"

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Link and Zelda have never been shown ingame to have an actual relationship outside of Skyward Sword but people just assume all Links and Zeldas end up together and I wonder why is that.
No wait, I don't have to wonder, I know the exact reason why.
My headcanon is and forever will be that OoT Link ended up with Malon.
I mean, TP Link, his descendant lived and worked on a ranch.

D

Deleted member

Link, in the Child Timeline, could mever possibly have married Zelda due to her being royalty and him being a simple Hylian living alongside a bunch of wood kids. Malon was the same age as his and Link had Epona with him in Majora's Mask, indicating he did at least frequent the place enough for them to trust him with Epona, meaning the likelihood of Link growing and working in Lon Lon Ranch is high. In this essay I will-

Flyboy

Smash Hero
World of Light is the Smash City AU.

The world map is just one of those playroom rugs.

This is all canon now and so is everyone spirit. The reason some characters have such stylish new looks is because Shop Assistant possessed Kirby and turned him into a savvy styling expert.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I love the idea of Plant not saying anything at all, just standing there grinning with his goofy tongue out and using his leaves to pour a martini.
:ultpeach:: So um yeah I know you're happy about getting in but this is your fourth poison mushroom Martini Daisy..

:ultdaisy: :*Urp* you're not my ma, P-P-Punch!

:ultrosalina::Jeez I told you she would be this way...

:ultpeach::Yeah I know, at lest she's not a bad as her.

:ultdarksamus:: Is drinking two kegs at the same time...

:ultrosalina::Ew

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
*:ultpichu: downs three Long Island Ice Teas*

Everyone stares

:ultpichu:: (translated) “What, you evolve to Pikachu only when your Trainer loves you. Mine just threw me in the box and left me to rot! *sob* I’m 45! I shouldn’t be cute anymore!”

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
:ultpichu:: (translated) “What, you evolve to Pikachu only when your Trainer loves you. Mine just threw me in the box and left me to rot! *sob* I’m 45! I shouldn’t be cute anymore!”
*cuts to Alolan Raichu shrugging into the camera The Office style*

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This also happens to be my headcanon as well.

IDK why but that ship sounds really funny to me lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm skimming through the thread and am I really hollywood romance, AKA, "Two characters who barely really interact with eachother and when they do it's arguing or bickering but they end up as a couple because we can't right relationships" as an argument against two barely subtle lesbians?
Link and Zelda have never been shown ingame to have an actual relationship outside of Skyward Sword but people just assume all Links and Zeldas end up together and I wonder why is that.
The worst part is that it implies incest then. Zelda and Link are only allowed to **** once in the timeline

Pakky

Smash Hero
*cuts to Alolan Raichu shrugging into the camera The Office style*
AR: *Downs a bottle of maple syrup* "Boo-Hoo young and trim forever... LOO AT ME, I'm old and fat,I only use my psychic powers to feed myself pancakes."

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Prettttty sure WW Link and Tetra got together after PH.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hyrule Hystoria: Link's Love Life Edition wen, Nintendo?

*timeline shatters into 5 more strands depending on who Link ends up with in OoT*

Zelda and Link are only allowed to **** once in the timeline
I'm under the impression that Link doesn't have to be a descendant of a previous link. Zelda is the same family, but I think the idea is that Link is just the spirit of the hero incarnated, not necessarily because they're blood related.

Besides the ones where he definitely is a descendant anyway

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hyrule Hystoria: Link's Love Life Edition wen, Nintendo?

*timeline shatters into 5 more strands depending on who Link ends up with in OoT*

I'm under the impression that Link doesn't have to be a descendant of a previous link. Zelda is the same family, but I think the idea is that Link is just the spirit of the hero incarnated, not necessarily because they're blood related.

Yeah I think they outright say that Wind Waker Link has absolutely no blood relation.

Whereas Twilight Princess Link is confirmed a descendant in the game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Alright bois, time to map out the Links and Zeldas
There is more than one line of Links, but I'm sure that every Zelda is part of the same family (timeline splits aside).

Don't forget the elusive Timeline Split when Zelda ends up developing a thing for Ganondorf thus creating a child born of Power and Wisdom. But they're kind of a coward so

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultyounglink:*Chugs 6 white Russians* "These Links are all dumb, waking winds, and running around like wild animals. pfft. Have any of them seen death, have any of them seen multiple deaths multiple times? Have any of them died only to come back to train another carry their title? Ganon? Who cares about Ganon? Have any of them fought that THING, and seen themselves as a monster that killed countless innocents? Majora took everything from me..."

:ultgnw:: *BEEP* (Translated) "Oh yeah Majora, I went to college with him, what a *******..."

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I always got the sense that TP and OoT Links were not related. I know people latch onto the spirit saying “My son,” but it reads as a master/pupil relationship.

I like the idea of all Links being reincarnations, not necessarily related. Just the courage of a hero.

Pity left-handedness isn’t included in that anymore...

D

Deleted member

:ultkrool: "So, how was the weekend?"
:ultdarksamus: "Oh, it was great, me and my wife went--"
:ultkrool: "Wait what? Did I hear that right? Did you say you have a wife?"
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit: *all stop doing whatever they were doing after they overhear the conversation*
:ultdarksamus: "Uh, yeah? As I was sayin--"
:ultwolf: "DARK SAMUS IS MARRIED!?"
:ultridley: "WHY DID YOU NEVER TELL ME, I THOUGHT WE WERE BESTIES!"
:ultganondorf: "She found someone before me..."
:ultkingdedede: "Ha, you guys didn't know?"
:ultmetaknight: "An unexpected turn of events..."
:ultdarkpit: "I don't believe it."
:ultbowser: "Do you have any kids?"
:ultdarksamus: "Yeah, sure, we have one. Here's a picture of it."
:ultmewtwo: *walks in* "What are you guys doing?"
:ultwolf: "Dark Samus is married, dude!"
:ultmewtwo: "What?"
:ultdarksamus: "This is our child, Dark The Baby, it's adopted." *shows a pic of a Metroid with a negative filter*
:ultmewtwo: *looks at the camera like he's in The Office*

:ultdarksamus: *later by herself, drinking a cup of coffee* "I'm not married by the way, I just wanted to mess with them. It was worth it. And now I have an excuse to leave work early whenever I want to."

KMDP

Smash Legend
The store needs to hurry up and randomly drop Ring Dong Dang so I can set it to play at 100% on every possible stage.
Music also drops sometimes after doing Classic Mode.

Ring Dong Dang (called Ring a Ding in the EU version for some reason) can be played on Summit, Hanenbow, Balloon Fight, Living Room, Streetpass Quest (aka Find Mii), Tomodachi Life, PictoChat 2, Duck Hunt, Wrecking Crew, Pilot Wings, Wuhu Island; basically any stage that has an "Other" playlist.
-------------
Speaking of Music, I think I've gotten every possible purchasable song, since Songs haven't appeared for me in the Shop since yesterday; all I have left to get is any remaining songs I can get from WoL and the Challenge Board.

I'm going to be super annoyed if there's music in the Online Board. :laugh:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
does being playable suddenly mean the cap will lose to him or something
let's ignore the fact that in a game cap will probably lose to him afaik
well...yeah...Chrom may be a joke, but he’s a relevant joke
Anybody ever really look at Jeanne's butt?

Its huge...
well duh
I mean, if you ask me, I think Palutenia has a lot more packed in the rear, but that's just me.
Also, screw ships.
Why else do you think Pit lives with her?
No. They'd need to recall the voice actors again and again if they don't want to leave spoilers inside the game.

We are positive that he hasn't.
Well we know Pit has no problems recording some new lines
:ultpalutena::ultsimon::ultpit: are mortal enemies with :ultbayonetta:
And no matter what, :ultbayonetta: will be unable to get them to forgive her

D

Deleted member

The worst part is that it implies incest then. Zelda and Link are only allowed to **** once in the timeline
Link's spirit is the one being reincarnated though and WW Link is clearly stated to not be related to OoT Link.
God, this is why it's stupid to give different protagonists the same damn name.
Prettttty sure WW Link and Tetra got together after PH.
That's never explictely stated as far as I remember tho.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I never thought of Bayo and Jeanne together. I always assumed it would be normal that the last two of their kind would form a really close bond and protect each other at all costs.

I def think Bayo is bi tho? Like for sure. But just not with Jeanne:p
But I think people can interpret it however they want since it isn’t explicitly stated...that was everyone can be happy and there is no need to argue over it :-3

Also literally love the “smash mansion” and the characters interacting outside of smash so PLEASE keep it coming they’re always funny to read

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Infinite timelines, infinite possibilities
Can we also get a timeline where the PC is a Gerudo, already mistrusted by his sisters based on their history with Ganondorf. And he has to save a forest boy from the clutches of an evil queen?

You know, let’s switch the reincarnation cycles a bit...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's never explictely stated as far as I remember tho.
Nah, but it's one of those times that I like that pairing.

Mostly cause Link marrying a pirate is cool.

Can we also get a timeline where the PC is a Gerudo, already mistrusted by his sisters based on their history with Ganondorf. And he has to save a forest boy from the clutches of an evil queen?

You know, let’s switch the reincarnation cycles a bit...
Dude you have no idea how long I've wanted something like this

There's absolutely no reason a Zelda descendant has to be on Team Good every time.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Villain pool party

:ultkingdedede:: Great idea shell head this is amazing

:ultbowser::Yeah remember guys we're on my membership plans so let's not ruin the pool.

:ultkrool:: Yeah cuz all of us are covered in spikes and bring their terrible children

:ultbowser:: No one even invited you...

:ultridley:: I did

:ultbowser:: *shakes head* of course you did.

:ultincineroar:: Where's :ultdarksamus:?

:ultmewtwo:: In the changing room, :ultpiranha: go check on her.

:ultpiranha:: Hey are you okay...?

:ultdarksamus:: *Is actually an Asari under all that armor and looks at :ultpiranha: with serious eyes*

:ultdarksamus:: "I'm going to the pool party next door, tell everyone I got sick and went home"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom