• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I personally just like the idea in most cases tbh. I don't think it's exactly a horrible thing.
I'm not ashamed to say I have a bit of personal Zelda bias in most games, anyway. Especially BotW and Ultimate.

But I also don't push Zelda/Link on anyone because who am I to try and alter anyone's interpretations of anyone for the sake of being a smartass.
I don't consider it bad either, I myself love LinkXZelda, but if a couple can be just so easily accepted there's no reason others have to write entire essays on why these two characters of the same gender are in love. I've dealt with this in other fanbases, I don't want to have to spend my day writing a thesis on why Ike loves Soren.
People get way too caught up on "canon" when it's something they, in particular, don't like.

D

Deleted member

Link and Zelda have never been shown ingame to have an actual relationship outside of Skyward Sword but people just assume all Links and Zeldas end up together and I wonder why is that.
No wait, I don't have to wonder, I know the exact reason why.
Tbh Link does have pretty strong chemistry with Zelda in WW, PH, ST, and (at least before the memory loss) BotW. Maybe a couple of the 2D games too. It's understandable that people would ship the two together

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I don't consider it bad either, I myself love LinkXZelda, but if a couple can be just so easily accepted there's no reason others have to write entire essays on why these two characters of the same gender are in love. I've dealt with this in other fanbases, I don't want to have to spend my day writing a thesis on why Ike loves Soren.
People get way too caught up on "canon" when it's something they, in particular, don't like.
One is not like the other.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Mario is too fat for Peach, Bowser is a CHAD she should go out with him.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That would be giving fans too much power.
I crave power. You know this. One might say I have a triforce of that.

No I totally agree.
That's why I'm trying to say if it's up to interpretation, then anything goes as far as I care. I can appreciate the debates people can have over it but here, in this thread, in this context it seems like all it'll do is make people mad. And of course it will. It's this thread.

Tbh Link does have pretty strong chemistry with Zelda in WW, PH, ST, and (at least before the memory loss) BotW. Maybe a couple of the 2D games too. It's understandable that people would ship the two together
This too, people tend to be kinda led into it (and yes, that is also true for Bayonetta and Bayonetta Also, I think).

One of my favorite examples is Roadhog and Junkrat (Overwatch. Again, sorry). They're super close, but because of that people keep shipping them, but in this case it's one of those "they're probably more likely to be best friends than anything else" given the context of their relationship. They're partners in crime, but Roadhog is very open about how much Junkrat irritates him otherwise haha

Interpretation is powerful and unless someone is objectively wrong about something, I don't get how anyone can be like "you're wrong about this"

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Now Wario and Captain Syrup bang all the time on big stacks of fat cash.

Wario is a more likely to marry Captain Syrup than Mario is to marry Peach, because she is actually really into him. Also he be chasing that paper so he's got good priorities and is a provider.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Why don't we just change the subject, please. Not even speaking as a mod just as someone who is tired of this specific conversation being repeated again and again.

Do we think there's going to be Palutena's Guidance for the DLC characters this time around? I'd love to see Joker's have the rest of the crew with him in his.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do we think there's going to be Palutena's Guidance for the DLC characters this time around? I'd love to see Joker's have the rest of the crew with him in his.
No. They'd need to recall the voice actors again and again if they don't want to leave spoilers inside the game.

Are we positive the doc has a PHD?
We are positive that he hasn't.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
That cute redhead needs to have her own guidance on every character. She gives Joker intel right?

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Are they even near as close? I wouldn't even consider them *best friends* in the same sense I could see someone arguing for Hideo Kojima and her echo
Let's go down the checklist
>Friends since before the beginning of the game
>Live together
>Fox goes out of his way to save slippy when he's in trouble
The parallels are there, therefore, Fox and Slippy are as gay as bayonetta and jeanne.
i see no problem with this
Yikes

D

Deleted member

The next star fox game is wild, dudes

Are we positive the doc has a PHD?

Though the lab coat? That's why even I prefer him in Smash
Super Smash Bros 6 Adventure Mode: Doctor Mario gets ****ing charged for medical fraud and has to run from the police

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No. They'd need to recall the voice actors again and again if they don't want to leave spoilers inside the game.
They brought them back specifically for Bayonetta's Trailer when she was announced so I wonder why they would have a problem calling them pack for Guidance's. Or, y'know, already having them recorded but not inserted into the game since DLC is widely known to be completely planned months ago...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Link and Zelda have never been shown ingame to have an actual relationship outside of Skyward Sword but people just assume all Links and Zeldas end up together and I wonder why is that.
No wait, I don't have to wonder, I know the exact reason why.
This actually annoys me a bit. One of the reasons I loved TP was that there was zero romantic subplot for LinkxZelda. (Instead we got Ilia, but in my mind they’re friends, nothing more). BotW’s Zelda was a little to romance-heavy for me...and that also is the basis of why I think Mipha’s by far the worst character (that and her VA)

Granted, everytime we come to this topic, it all goes back to our experiences. I’m ace, so I prefer to consider my heroes without any romances whatsoever (also I’m left-handed, so Link is a canon lefty in my mind and SS and BotW and now Smash are just wrong). I’m the person who will look at most pairings and assume that everyone sleeps in their own beds at night. However, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with filling in gaps in a character’s story yourself. What is wrong is criticizing others when their headcanon is different from yours. If people are reading into things that I’m not (from personal experience, I’m also incredibly bad at picking up cues, so there’s a good chance that someone saying “you’re cute, let’s bang” will translate for me into “friends with benefits”), that's fine.

What anyone does behind closed doors is none of my business. Especially Smash characters. And personally, I’d rather not know specifics.

...yeah, I’m not a fanfic writer. The only real headcanons I have are that Bowser and K. Rool each work together but tbink the others is an idiot, and neither know Ganondorf is manipulating both to his ends. Ridley knows Ganon’s in charge, but he doesn’t care as long as he has free rein to terrorize.

And that one pic on the official site (and Pichu’s new bandana) convince me that Isabelle, Pichu, and Squirtle are all totes BFFs

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The only real headcanons I have are that Bowser and K. Rool each work together but tbink the others is an idiot, and neither know Ganondorf is manipulating both to his ends. Ridley knows Ganon’s in charge, but he doesn’t care as long as he has free rein to terrorize.
The best headcanons are the wholesome villain gang ones.

It's wholesome to me, anyway.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This actually annoys me a bit. One of the reasons I loved TP was that there was zero romantic subplot for LinkxZelda. (Instead we got Ilia, but in my mind they’re friends, nothing more). BotW’s Zelda was a little to romance-heavy for me...and that also is the basis of why I think Mipha’s by far the worst character (that and her VA)

Granted, everytime we come to this topic, it all goes back to our experiences. I’m ace, so I prefer to consider my heroes without any romances whatsoever (also I’m left-handed, so Link is a canon lefty in my mind and SS and BotW and now Smash are just wrong). I’m the person who will look at most pairings and assume that everyone sleeps in their own beds at night. However, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with filling in gaps in a character’s story yourself. What is wrong is criticizing others when their headcanon is different from yours. If people are reading into things that I’m not (from personal experience, I’m also incredibly bad at picking up cues, so there’s a good chance that someone saying “you’re cute, let’s bang” will translate for me into “friends with benefits”), that's fine.

What anyone does behind closed doors is none of my business. Especially Smash characters. And personally, I’d rather not know specifics.

...yeah, I’m not a fanfic writer. The only real headcanons I have are that Bowser and K. Rool each work together but tbink the others is an idiot, and neither know Ganondorf is manipulating both to his ends. Ridley knows Ganon’s in charge, but he doesn’t care as long as he has free rein to terrorize.

And that one pic on the official site (and Pichu’s new bandana) convince me that Isabelle, Pichu, and Squirtle are all totes BFFs
Head cannons

-:ultincineroar::ultgreninja: Tag team partners (classic mode)
- :ultincineroar::ultkrool: Tag team partners (Classic mode mural)

-:ultkrool::ultkingdedede: "When I see you I'll kill you in the street

-:ultkingdedede::ultdk::ultdiddy: I come over to your house ALL the way from dreamland to troll you with this costume weekly

:ultbayonetta::ultpacman::ultgnw: BFFS (no reason)

:ultisabelle::ultpichu::squirtle: Cute little babies that have fun tea parties

:ultincineroar::ultpikachu: Arch rivals but is uncle to :ultpichu:

:ultridley: EVIL

:ultkrool::ultbowser: "You're a dumb idiot and I'm the best, also you're fat"

:ultinkling::ultzelda: "Let's going shopping"

:ultbayonetta: Babysits all the children, everyone's child. And is better than everyone else at it. :ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy: Terrible parents.

:ultcloud::ultfalcon::ultwario::ultryu::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake: Bar buddies

:ultpacman::ultgnw: In context are horrible eldritch monsters that ravaged the land in their youth , but now older and wiser have simmered down and like to play with the children by showing them party tricks.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The store needs to hurry up and randomly drop Ring Dong Dang so I can set it to play at 100% on every possible stage.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I like to think Cloud still just can't speak anything but Japanese (so he talks to Ryu a lot), and Simon is that really loud oblivious guy who doesn't get social cues but they love him anyways.
One of the main reasons I started coming around to Simon in the Vergy days was that I suddenly got this image of him and Dovahkiin questing through vampire- or draugr-ridden Nordic ruins together.

And then going to the mead hall afterwards.

Oh man, do I want to play out that headcanon...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And richter is Simons friend suffering from Second hand embarrassment
:ultsimon:: WHO IS THE PROPRIETOR OF THIS HUMBLE PUB??? I DEMAND A STRONGER MEAD FOR MY COMPATRIOTS
:ultrichter:
: dude why

:ultcloud:: うるさい男が面白いだぜ
:ultryu:: I mean... I guess so.

:ultfalcon:: FALCOOOOOWWWWN CHUUUUUG

Edit: I wish I could draw because I want to make a comic now.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One of the main reasons I started coming around to Simon in the Vergy days was that I suddenly got this image of him and Dovahkiin questing through vampire- or draugr-ridden Nordic ruins together.

And then going to the mead hall afterwards.

Oh man, do I want to play out that headcanon...
I'm not gonna lie...Castlevania mod for Skyrim based on the Simon (or even Trevor) era...that makes me feel a way.

I really hope that Dovahkiin is one of the surprises we get. As much as people want Doomguy, something about Dovahkiin stylistically meshes with the roster in the way I always felt about Joker. Hard to explain but I dig it a whole lot.

D

Deleted member

Japan is having fun with the curry blush effect.

Just gonna leave a warning that some of the pics are pretty cringy.

This one's pretty great, though:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

TBH I don't know how to feel about this. While I've seen examples of it being cute (the one where Inkling has a crush on Chrom is kind of adorable and got a chuckle out of me) I know people are gonna be weird with it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Japan is having fun with the curry blush effect.

Just gonna leave a warning that some of the pics are pretty cringy.

This one's pretty great, though:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

TBH I don't know how to feel about this. While I've seen examples of it being cute (the one where Inkling has a crush on Chrom is kind of adorable and got a chuckle out of me) I know people are gonna be weird with it.
Mario stop proposing to everyone
Goodness

Edit: Piranha Plant curry blush face????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom