• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
What's the overall consensus on K. Rool, btw? He and Richter are my mains up until now. They're both immensely fun. Richter feels so much like he does in Rondo/SoTN/Portrait of Ruin, he's amazing. :ultkrool::ultrichter:

D

Deleted member

What's the overall consensus on K. Rool, btw? He and Richter are my mains up until now. They're both immensely fun. Richter feels so much like he does in Rondo/SoTN/Portrait of Ruin, he's amazing. :ultkrool::ultrichter:
I love K.Rool in Ultimate, and i hope that he appears in every DK game coming the next years.

D

Deleted member

I don't think we're going to get as many 'out there' picks as we think we are. The only reason Joker got in was because Sakurai loves that game to death. The rest of the pics are likely to be more 'natural'; like, not crazy third party. The rumored 'Square Enix' character, 2 more 1st party Nintendo characters, and possibly another Sonic character (Tails or Robotnik/Eggman). And Sonic, despite actually being a 3rd party character, has been so close to Nintendo since Sega stopped being a console developer, that he's practically an unofficial Nintendo character; I think the Sonic series getting another rep is fairly likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
General consensus here, at least (I dunno about the pros) is that K. Rool is probably the best heavyweight right now. And that Simon/Richter are definitely top tier. Some would argue best in the game, though I don't see it with their abysmal recovery.

So good choices I guess.

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
I don't think we're going to get as many 'out there' picks as we think we are. The only reason Joker got in was because Sakurai loves that game to death. The rest of the pics are likely to be more 'natural'; like, not crazy third party. The rumored 'Square Enix' character, 2 more 1st party Nintendo characters, and possibly another Sonic character (Shadow or Robotnik/Eggman). And Sonic, despite actually being a 3rd party character, has been so close to Nintendo since Sega stopped being a console developer, that he's practically an unofficial Nintendo character; I think the Sonic series getting another rep is fairly likely.
Eughhhhhh, don't call Sonic anything near a nintendo character. :urg:

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't think we're going to get as many 'out there' picks as we think we are. The only reason Joker got in was because Sakurai loves that game to death..
We might get more 'out there' characters if Sakurai really likes their game a lot, like Joker.
Take Steve for instance...
Sakuari loves Minecaft, and has even wrote about it in his Famitsu column a couple times.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I don't think we're going to get as many 'out there' picks as we think we are. The only reason Joker got in was because Sakurai loves that game to death. The rest of the pics are likely to be more 'natural'; like, not crazy third party. The rumored 'Square Enix' character, 2 more 1st party Nintendo characters, and possibly another Sonic character (Tails or Robotnik/Eggman). And Sonic, despite actually being a 3rd party character, has been so close to Nintendo since Sega stopped being a console developer, that he's practically an unofficial Nintendo character; I think the Sonic series getting another rep is fairly likely.
Mate as much as I dearly want a second Sonic character, the chances for one seem really low now with Joker bringing SEGA up to next to Konami and Capcom with three reps. Sakurai and SEGA seem perfectly content to leave Sonic flying solo for whatever reasons, and there's nothing we can do about it. They had a perfect opportunity to bring Shadow in but failed to capitalize on it and now he may be doomed as an AT again for another decade or so.

I'm sure people have heard me ***** enough about Shadow and Sonic in Smash, but I suppose I just can't help myself, been following this franchise for over half my life lol.

D

Deleted member

Eughhhhhh, don't called Sonic anything near a nintendo character. :urg:
lol, it is what it is. Several Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games, as well as Sonic/Mario crossover games kinda gices him that feel, you know?

I mean, I grew up during the time of Sonic SatAM and when Eggman was actually Dr. Robotnik, so I've always affiliated him with Sega, but the times have changed. Sonic's running with a new crowd now (pun definitely intended)
that Sega's essentially up with the other 3rd parties with the same amount of reps. Never mind then on that Sonic pick! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That actually brings up an interesting point.

I've been playing a lot of quickplay to fight against characters my local friend group doesn't play, and I am shocked by how many Fire Emblem characters I see. Judging by the hate the series gets on Smashboards, I just kind of assumed the greater community wasn't really into FE characters either.

But in terms of how often I see characters, the top ten are definitely :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultike::ultcorrin::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultryu::ultcloud: in no particular order. Obviously my personal experience isn't indicative of everyone's, but I run into so many FE characters.
As I always keep saying, for the better or the worse, controversial =/= unpopular.

Lots of characters who get a ton of hate are actually really popular picks overall. This is what drives me mad about people who say "no one asked for Corrin" and "no one likes Incineroar". Both characters actually have a lot of fans.

At least the Incineroar hate has passed once people say him in action. Corrin is still stuck with that FE swordsman stigma though.

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
lol, it is what it is. Several Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games, as well as Sonic/Mario crossover games kinda gices him that feel, you know?

I mean, I grew up during the time of Sonic SatAM and when Eggman was actually Dr. Robotnik, so I've always affiliated him with Sega, but the times have changed. Sonic's running with a new crowd now (pun definitely intended)
Yeah I hear you, as I grew up with Sonic as well, and with every Sega console they've put out. I just strongly vibe with Sega's mascot being Sonic, with Nintendo having literally no part in creating the character.

Idk, it's just a grating statement to hear he's an offbeat Nintendo character.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the actual argument that only "Nintendo All-Stars" could get in has been dead since Cloud. Since then, I think most people with a Nintendo-only perspective treat it as what they personally want Smash to be, not what it actually has become. And it's hard to blame them considering the first two or three games were undoubtedly focused on Nintendo history, not gaming as a whole. Not everyone is going to embrace the new philosophy, even if the developers say that's how they view the series. So it's no use trying to "correct" anyone's opinions. Everyone is allowed to want Smash to be what they want it to be.
And let's be real, it's a celebration of all gaming history... with a massively extra emphasis on Nintendo and companies they feel like working with.
Lol.

I really liked the character design. I didn't like her role in the story or her voice or the concept of her being in a magic stasis for 100 years or whatever. There was charm, but there are too many things I don't like about the execution.

She was like SS's princess, except not as adorable and a nerd. Bonus points for pants though.
Late to this party, but I’m glad to see people wanting Zelda playable in games where her name is in the god damn title. I remembering reading an article on BOTW where Nintendo said they toyed with the idea of having Zelda the main character only to snuff it because “then what would Link do?”

But Nintendo admits that to them gameplay > story and, well, while the story was fine I agree that BOTW’s gameplay was definitely stronger than the story.

I also find it frustrating and difficult to try to comprehend how they failed so miserably on a Peach game when she’s in SMB2. How could they not just use her float as a unique mechanic and build a sidescroller off of that? I used only Peach in Super Mario 3D world so I could pretend like it was the sequel she deserved. But I’m really liking Super Princess Peach 3: World of Light.

WaluigiFan81

Smash Rookie
I have my on eye on Waluigi, I know he's an assist trophy, but think about this, Smash is a spin-off game, and Waluigi appears as a playable character in Mario spin-offs, and the outcry is so vocal, Nintendo and Sakurai knows the wishes, but I think he will be the final DLC fighter, since he is a most wanted character, I do love to see Isaac and Geno, but I mainly focus on Waluigi, Scorpion, and Crash Bandicoot.

D

Deleted member

Shigeru Miyamoto, 2018
TBH y'all ain't ready to see the cursed Miis I can come up with. I've been making Miis since 2006 and know all the tricks on how to produce the..."best" results.

I currently got ones for Chrom and Viridi. I'll grab some screens in a bit.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have my on eye on Waluigi, I know he's an assist trophy, but think about this, Smash is a spin-off game, and Waluigi appears as a playable character in Mario spin-offs.
Smash seems to mostly focus on characters who made appearances in main series games, not usually spin offs.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Okay, so... I just played Katamari Damacy for the first time today. I have to say that this game is just purely endearing and infinitely fun. Also, you feel rewarded after figuring out how to roll up way more things in less time. Anywho, after seeing the Prince in Smash Ultimate as one of Pac-Man's taunts and seeing that we got a completely out there and dream come true dlc rep in Joker... I'm going to say that the Katamari Prince should be the next Bandai Namco rep. Idk how they'll pull off his moveset, but whatevs, just give it to me.
Im playing the demo over and over so I can get used to the controls before I buy it when I can

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
General consensus here, at least (I dunno about the pros) is that K. Rool is probably the best heavyweight right now. And that Simon/Richter are definitely top tier. Some would argue best in the game, though I don't see it with their abysmal recovery.

So good choices I guess.
Dope. Honestly, my bet on who the best character in the game (so far) is would be Pikachu. His air neutral and overall air game is amazing. He was already amazing in 4, but got even better here.

Graizen

Smash Champion
No joke.
Squad Strike is a KOF mode in Smash.
Would you guys like a KOF or SNK character in Smash?

the-king-of-fighters-ps3-pkg-destravado-cfw-envio-por-email-D_NQ_NP_604369-MLB25613561271_0520...jpg

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Yeah I was only saying that I'm sure a majority of people prefer stock matches and yet timed is still the default option, but I understand why.

By the way, I have not seen any of you guys complain about the online enough. It is GARBAGE.
True!!! But someone on Reddit found a pretty good way to get 1V1 matches 100% of the time (I think it's still towards the top of the Smash Bros Reddit), I highly recommend reading! Sound like it makes the experience much better. Also, the "Arenas" haven't been too bad so far.

WaluigiFan81

Smash Rookie
Smash seems to mostly focus on characters who made appearances in main series games, not usually spin offs.
Even though he did make a cameo in WarioWare Gold, he's considered to be a fighter, since he fought Luigi in the Boxing game for the Game and Watch Classics, and even has animations when grabbed in Ultimate, even if he is considered a non-canon character, he still can put up a fight.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Best addition to this game besides the mechanics is squad strike. I always liked Project M's all-star mode so I'm glad they incorporated it into an actual official game. Though there is a glitch where if both you and the opponent pick random for all the slots, it will sometimes give you both the same characters. Hopefully they patch it but other than that, great mode. Like it a lot more than WoL and Elite Smash

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait wait wait wait wait. Wait.

Guys. I got it.

JILL VALENTINE S.T.A.R.S. in Smash Ultimate!

It's perfect. Shutup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom