• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yo, Jigglypuff looks fun. I should try playing some of it tonight.

Honestly, I need to pry myself away from K. Rool and Inklings and try some other characters. I played some Sonic today and I'm honestly not sure I'm a fan? He feels really weird compared to Smash 4 Sonic. I did gimp a Ness CPU with the Spring though, which was pretty cool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sure, use Joker if you're a Stand plebeian, :ultsimon: I'll stick with my Hamon thanks :ultrichter:

Also I haven't even touched my main yet online because I just keep messing around with Chrom and Ken for funsies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And now I will never stop referring to those as stands.
You can't go without some Jojo references.
You'd think Duck Hunt is cheating but the Duck isn't actually the Stand, the Dog's is called「WILD GUNMEN」 and the Duck's is 「FOURTH SHOOTER」which acts as a direct counter to Sex Pistols.
Actually, all Smash characters are Stand users but not all of them are the type that manifests separatedly from its user.

D

Deleted member

*Witch Time intensifies infinitely*

And you'll never believe how it ends...
You're right, I'd never believe this ending. The fact you still somehow won baffles me.
I know I was just talking about Jojo references just now but this is straight up some Jotaro "I can only stop time for two seconds" Kujo ****.

Iridium

Smash Hero
They tried.

Witch Time seems pretty scary still. What are pros saying about Bayo? Still a beast, or slightly less so?
Honestly, I'd say there are a lot of players saying she isn't even top 10 anymore, and maybe it's because that many characters just look perhaps more intimidating than her, and the nerfs to her were plentiful. But I would hold before saying she can't get there still, so I'd take the general consensus with a grain of salt.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You're right, I'd never believe this ending. The fact you still somehow won baffles me.
I know I was just talking about Jojo references just now but this is straight up some Jotaro "I can only stop time for two seconds" Kujo ****.
Bayonetta looked like she didn't know what was going on either.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dude goes to a hospital, suffers from muscle atrophy, and somehow gets all his five seconds of time stop back.

Part 6 was on mega balls ****.

D

Deleted member

That's what happens when you get cocky.

Trust me, half my deaths are from getting too cocky.
A lot of my deaths are rolling into things, lol. A bad habit I kept from Smash 4, hoping to break it at some point. I also really need to work on my off stage play.

Honestly, I'd say there are a lot of players saying she isn't even top 10 anymore, and maybe it's because that many characters just look perhaps more intimidating than her, and the nerfs to her were plentiful. But I would hold before saying she can't get there still, so I'd take the general consensus with a grain of salt.
Yeah, it's too soon to say who is and isn't good definitively. I imagine it's gonna take a few months at least before that kind of stuff gets set in stone as we get results from tournaments.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Dude goes to a hospital, suffers from muscle atrophy, and somehow gets all his five seconds of time stop back.

Part 6 was on mega balls ****.
To be fair, Josuke could just straight up heal him but I like to think he didn't and as he was waving goodbye he was thinking "ah **** ****ing **** i forgot to ask josuke to fully heal me ah damn now the boat is already leaving its gonna be awkward to ask them to stop and i dont wanna bother josuke, ah **** what do i do star platinum help me"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair, Josuke could just straight up heal him but I like to think he didn't and as he was waving goodbye he was thinking "ah **** ****ing **** i forgot to ask josuke to fully heal me ah damn now the boat is already leaving its gonna be awkward to ask them to stop and i dont wanna bother josuke, ah **** what do i do star platinum help me"
Hey fellas I'm just here to spoiler as well

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Y'all how in the actual absolute **** am I supposed to approach good Link mains in this game

That bomb is gonna give me nightmares
They already give me nightmares since my sparring partner is a dedicated, and good, Link main.

The only time I even get to breathe for a moment is when I successfully manage to get him off stage.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But he didn't actually suffer from it until Whitesnake made him a human vegetable. At Part 4 he was just with less seconds because "muh lack of use".

D

Deleted member

They already give me nightmares since my sparring partner is a dedicated, and good, Link main.

The only time I even get to breathe for a moment is when I successfully manage to get him off stage.
My brother is a Link main and is learning how good his zoning is.

Our Link VS. Inkling fights are always a blast and super tense, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Biggest pet peeve is that they removed the start button on the GC controller just skipping all the menus in the results screen.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Ganoncide got nerfed it seems. It looks like it kills Ganon first now.

That's a big F from me.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ganoncide got nerfed it sems. It looks like it kills Ganon first now.

That's a big F from me.
Well, if he has the stock advantage, then he should be fine. This really hurts him when he's down a stock or more.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
We talked about vagina bombs a few pages ago so pretty good
I think you mean "Snuke",
He's right in saying that we create an echo chamber here and confine our expectations to that.

He's wrong about Cloud being obvious.
Part of the problem is that when a credible leaker comes forward, no matter how vague it is people will shut down almost all speculative conversation that is not about that leak for some reason.

Just this cycle, it happened with Vergeben, happened with the Box, and happened with the Grinch Leak (though that one happened to be wrong). The fact that Vergeben and the Box tied together made the situation worse.

Once the fanbase at large thinks they know what to expect, lots of people attempt to silence all speculation that is not about that aspect of speculation (though they may or may not realise they're doing it). This inherently lead to boredom amongst many, because "we know the final two are Ken and Incineroar, why are you speculating about anything else?" (Not said, but the general air of the thread about two months ago).

The flavour of the month this time was the nebulous "Square Rep" (and previously it was Katalina), nobody seemed to seriously consider the fact that the leakers might be wrong. There's a lesson to be learned: just because a leaker was right about some things, and has a history of being generally right, doesn't mean they're right every time (or "this" time).

After Smash Ultimate released, that should have brought a reset to Vergeben's credibility, because the "Square Rep" was a new "leak" unrelated to what he had said previously. In hindsight, it's obvious the Square Rep thing was faulty information (not necessarily wrong); as people had rightly pointed out, DLC production only started recently (very recently), the Katalina and Square Rep rumours were being thrown around significantly earlier than they should have been.

Trouble is, because new people are coming into the fandom all the time, "we" won't learn from this.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Oh Capcom, all the Capcom content in Ultimate make it seem like they're back on track and then they do this.....

11_adz05.jpg

Ads you would typically expect to only see in a freemium mobile game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Zinith Zinith please tell me yoshi mains arent egg spamming dudes because that's all im fighting with every yoshi i encounter

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zinith Zinith please tell me yoshi mains arent egg spamming dudes because that's all im fighting with every yoshi i encounter
If anything the spam move for us Yoshi mains is ftilt now. The only way I see Egg Throw being spammed by a good Yoshi is if the player can safely predict that you'll get hit by it...

D

Deleted member

Oh Capcom, all the Capcom content in Ultimate make it seem like they're back on track and then they do this.....

View attachment 182709

Capcom has seen a return to form in everything except their fighting games. RE7 brought the series back to it's roots, DMC5 is shaping up to do the same with Devil May Cry, they're killing it with Monster Hunter: World and brought the franchise to the mainstream audience, and they revived Mega Man with an actually pretty good classic-style MM game.
Meanwhile SFV is floundering around with a worsening reputation and a launch that it hasn't really ever recovered from, and we all know how MvC:I went. Hopefully they prove me wrong if the rumors for MvC4 are true, but they're no longer the top dog of fighting games like they used to be. That award would probably go to either Arc Sys or Bamco.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I'm beginning to really like both Dark Samus and Robin since their move are really fun to use (Espically with Dark Samus'es floaty/dancer like feel compared to Samus), and they don't get affected as much of input lag.

Iridium

Smash Hero

View attachment 182709

...just, why?

I can't look at this and instantly believe it's real, but that looks strange if it is...for advertising, maybe.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The Square Rep, if there is one, was never going to be in the base game.

TBH, I have no idea where Verg even got the Square rep news from, but more or less the ENTIRE game was known back as early as July, with Piranha Plant being leaked in September.

When I talked to people that I trust that I know for certainty that had info, they never once brought up a Square rep, and even after Verg did, it was a matter of "What the hell? Where'd he hear that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom