• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The Square Rep, if there is one, was never going to be in the base game.

TBH, I have no idea where Verg even got the Square rep news from, but more or less the ENTIRE game was known back as early as July, with Piranha Plant being leaked in September.

When I talked to people that I trust that I know for certainty that had info, they never once brought up a Square rep, and even after Verg did, it was a matter of "What the hell? Where'd he hear that?"
The only explanation I can think of(if we are getting a SE rep as DLC) is that maybe Verge's source was around the negotiating table during the time period Vergeben said a SE rep was in and saw the list of the 7 DLC candidates. I can't think of anything else really.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The Square Rep, if there is one, was never going to be in the base game.

TBH, I have no idea where Verg even got the Square rep news from, but more or less the ENTIRE game was known back as early as July, with Piranha Plant being leaked in September.

When I talked to people that I trust that I know for certainty that had info, they never once brought up a Square rep, and even after Verg did, it was a matter of "What the hell? Where'd he hear that?"
I mean the issue would have been if ONLY Vergeben heard about a Square-Enix rep. But apparently more people knew/ know about it

Untouch

Smash Master
I mean the issue would have been if ONLY Vergeben heard about a Square-Enix rep. But apparently more people knew/ know about it
That's part of the reason why I'm so skeptical about Steve right now, it seems only Vergeben and his circle have heard about him at all.
Unless someone here has and they're being quiet about it.

D

Deleted member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bandai_Namco_video_game_franchises

Namco Bandai owns the trademark to Dark Souls. While FromSoftware is the IP owner, if Solaire were to get into Smash it would require the effort of Namco Bandai. I don't see them going for Solaire over Lloyd, nor do I see them getting two DLC slots.
The Justia website is specifically the retrieval of legal trademark information in America. An American trademark doesn't mean much to a Japanese company who develops and publishes their own game in their home country of Japan, all it means is that Bandai Namco is in charge of managing the IP in America. This situation is most likely the way it is to make localization and marketing easier for FromSoftware, who probably doesn't have much interest in internally localizing and marketing the game for Western audiences.

I have an uncle who's a lawyer and he compares the situation to a YouTuber working with a network. The YouTuber forfeits all of his content to a network, who receives the money in exchange for what is essentially royalties, typically leaving a cut of 20-30% to the network in exchange for all the responsibilities they don't want to have to deal with. Just like a YouTuber can let their contract run out and drop their network in exchange for a new one, FromSoftware could easily do the same to Bandai Namco if they wanted to. They obviously don't and consider Bandai Namco a good publisher for their work, which is why you see the American copyright constantly being renewed.

As I said before, this is a situation that wouldn't affect both a Bandai Namco-published overseas, FromSoftware-owned and published in Japan IP in Solaire and a bona fide, 100% Bandai Namco owned IP in Lloyd both getting in, as it wouldn't be Bandai Namco getting two reps. ESPECIALLY since this is a game being developed fully in Japan, and all Bandai Namco would need to do is okay the character for release in the game outside of Japan, something they would absolutely do considering FromSoftware can drop them as their overseas publisher/IP handler any time they want.

Also, in no way does Lloyd have more of a chance than Solaire. Just because Joker made it in doesn't mean every 2.5D anime-esque JRPG protagonist has a high chance. Joker is likely going to be a one-of-a-kind addition, with other wildcards similar to Master Chief, Lara Croft, Dante, 2B, Geralt of Rivia, Dovahkiin, Pip Boy, etc taking the other spots. Solaire fits into that bunch a lot better than Lloyd does, especially considering he's not even close to being the most popular, recognized, or even beloved Tales character; Yuri Lowell and Millia Maxwell have Lloyd beaten by a million miles in that regard. And even looking outside of popularity and recognition/lovability, in what way would Lloyd even come close to being a great pick for a Tales Smash rep? Velvet Crowe has all 3 of Yuri, Millia, AND Lloyd beaten in how well she'd fit into Smash; she has a demon-possessed arm and a general Smash-feeling design, tons of in-game moves that fit Smash really well, and a revenge-fueled backstory that could be used exceptionally well for vocal taunts. And a Scarlet Night themed Final Smash? A match made in heaven!

Three Tales reps that completely obliterate Lloyd, and I don't think any of them have any chance of making it in over Solaire. Why are you so convinced Lloyd will make it in?

Shroob

Sup?
No one I talked to heard anything about it, so while it's still likely, forgive me for being quite skeptical.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
No one I talked to heard anything about it, so while it's still likely, forgive me for being quite skeptical.
Oh that's normal. Honestly it's time to be skeptical about everything after the VGA.

Everything let us believe in Metroid yet we got ****ing Joker.
If it's that kind of surprise. I hope it continues like that

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm sick of this game eating my inputs offline. I've counted at least 10 times that it's eaten my inputs in certain situations and it ticks me off to no end. It's unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, uh. What's the status on leaks/rumors/verge/all that fluff?
It's all been set back to zero. Until another lad with some good guesses shows up it's anyone's game.

Verg was right about base kinda, but he wasn't right about the mythical dlc Square rep being revealed first.

Last edited:

Chrono.

It's all been set back to zero. Until another lad with some good guesses shows up it's anyone's game.

Verg was right about base kinda, but he wasn't right about the mythical dlc Square rep being revealed first.
And Minecraft too right?

Cause I remember him talking about Ender Dragon day one (maybe?) DLC boss early on during the datamine.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point I'm not sure that there could be a Square rep, or if it only has to be within the list of 7. I find it unlikely that Verge heard 7 names BEFORE the base game was even out.

Untouch

Smash Master
And Minecraft too right?

Cause I remember him talking about Ender Dragon day one (maybe?) DLC early on during the datamine.
Xenother is saying Steve was playable in an August build.
Hitagi is saying they know people who have seen Steve's model.
Vergeben is saying the Minecraft content is a boss.
Ryce is saying he hasn't heard anything about Minecraft.

It's a mess, very inconsistent.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And Minecraft too right?

Cause I remember him talking about Ender Dragon day one (maybe?) DLC boss early on during the datamine.
Verge never said anything about Day 1 DLC or anything. He's been firm on Minecraft "content". Up until him Saying Ender Dragon was a boss he never specified anything.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm sick of this game eating my inputs offline. I've counted at least 10 times that it's eaten my inputs in certain situations and it ticks me off to no end. It's unacceptable and needs to be addressed.
We'll find out next week when 1.2 hits

Shroob

Sup?

I find Xenother's claims to be frankly unbelievable.

We have actual testimony that someone in September had playtested the game and the only DLC character was Piranha Plant.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I got to say the DLC reveal and statements from Reggie have given me a pretty grim outlook for the remaining DLC. It sounds like we are probably not getting any more Nintendo characters. So unless Crash or Banjo make it in, I think its going to be a bunch of crap I don't care about it.

The new guy is so far off my radar that every time I see his name mentioned all I see is
in my head.

Also he has black clothes, uses guns, and summons demons... Its male Bayonetta.

Chrono.

Verge never said anything about Day 1 DLC or anything. He's been firm on Minecraft "content". Up until him Saying Ender Dragon was a boss he never specified anything.
So basically it's all crapshoot and we've nothing to go off on. Cool.

Kinda hope it stays that way seeing as Joker didn't even leak and 4's DLC was kept pretty hush hush (outside of Nintendo's own idiocy and the extremely small Cloud leak.)

Shroob

Sup?
I got to say the DLC reveal and statements from Reggie have given me a pretty grim outlook for the remaining DLC. It sounds like we are probably not getting any more Nintendo characters. So unless Crash or Banjo make it in, I think its going to be a bunch of crap I don't care about it.

The new guy is so far off my radar that every time I see his name mentioned all I see is
in my head.

Also he has black clothes, uses guns, and summons demons... Its male Bayonetta.
Honestly, I'm more than okay with this.

Smash Ultimate more or less has every big name now outside of a small handful like Dixie, Bandanna Dee, Rex.

So if those aren't going to be it? **** it, bring on the 3rd party juggernauts.

I've been debating and speculating Smash speculation for over 10 years now. I'm tired of the same old 10 or so characters this community regurgitates and puts on a pedestal over and over.

I want something new. Piranha Plant and Joker are new.

Last edited:

Chrono.

It's black Giorno you uncultured swine

Smash Ultimate more or less has every big name now outside of a small handful like Dixie, Bandanna Dee, Rex.

I've been debating and speculating Smash speculation for over 10 years now. I'm tired of the same old 10 or so characters this community regurgitates and puts on a pedestal over and over.

I was of the mindset that the DLC will be nothing but 3rd parties since the pass showed up.

Or at the very least that heavy Smash fandom favorites like Banjo or Geno won't be showing up and Nintendo would opt to go for more mainstream but still surprising and fitting picks.

So far so good with Joker.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I sort of agree here. I’ll keep calling back to the Nintendo NY reactions to Everyone is Here. Who got the biggest cheers? Third parties and vets who’ve missed a game.

But...

I’m still undecided on how hype I am personally. It’s a weird feeling for me - I’m normally pretty anti-guest-overload in games, but I’ve got pretty well all of the characters I need from Nintendo (all I really think is missing is another popular Zelda character like Skull Kid or Midna). I’m at the point where there are really only two characters I really want to see in, and both are third party.

Still, third parties for me are really hit-and-miss. I don’t know many series, so what’s hype to some people could be a ‘literally who’ for me. It will be interesting to see where the rest of the DLC goes. At present, it’s hard to draw data points, but if we’re talking Joker and Square, it looks like a lot of trying to scoop PlayStation fans and JRPG fans - neither of which describe me.

I do want to see some characters outside of the same three or four (when Vergybox was in, nobody was allowed to suggest anything other than Kencineroar). Still, I hope that at least one of the DLC will be a character that I recognize and enjoy. I’m not even thinking to buy the pack unless I see a character/stage that really looks worth it to me.

Eh, I’m really just rambling. I’ll see how things turn out. Until then, I’ll have fun with vanilla. But I do hope they have more surprises in store for us. A game like Ultimate could survive for a while with a constant drip of DLC, both character and cosmetic. And it’d be fun to throw in some echoes as well, since they’re not tapped yet.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, right.

People wanted an unpopular/controversial opinion to spice up discussion last night, right?

Geno is about as important as Goombario or Lady Bow in the grand scheme of things, being a one-time party member that will never be used again. Piranha Plant is more marketable than he is. :4pacman: There never was a "Big-3".

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh, right.

People wanted an unpopular/controversial opinion to spice up discussion last night, right?

Geno is about as important as Goombario or Lady Bow in the grand scheme of things, being a one-time party member that will never be used again. Piranha Plant is more marketable than he is. :4pacman: There never was a "Big-3".
Why are you trying to hurt me?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh, right.

The LTP abuse has to end.

Shroob

Sup?
Why are you trying to hurt me?

I will never understand this community's fascination with Geno though.

K.Rool and Ridley? Sure, they're the main antagonists of their respective series.

Geno though? One game, that ended up getting more or less rebooted as Paper Mario. And even then, he was just a random party member.

To me, that'd be the equivalent of Virion getting into Smash over someone like Robin.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I will never understand this community's fascination with Geno though.

K.Rool and Ridley? Sure, they're the main antagonists of their respective series.

Geno though? One game, that ended up getting more or less rebooted as Paper Mario. And even then, he was just a random party member.

To me, that'd be the equivalent of Virion getting into Smash over someone like Robin.
I can't speak for everyone, but I just think he's really cool.

D

Deleted member

I think people like Geno for the same reason anyone likes any character: They just do. They like him and want to see him playable.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't speak for everyone, but I just think he's really cool.
I understand that, but to me, "Being cool" doesn't really make sense as to 'why' he should be in.

Geno is popular with us, the Smash fanbase, but I'd argue that his popularity outside of said fanbase is more or less very minor.

And, we can't forget he's owned partially by you-know-who.

Considering we've gone through two games now with Square, I don't think "If they gave Sakurai Geno to use, imagine all the good will that they'd get!" is even a ghost of a discussion point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>you can't play with this character in elite smash until you increase this character's gsp
>can't even play to increase them online because you're stuck in elite smash with that one character

whats the ****ing point then, at least let me play normie smash with the not elite characters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom