• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Pokemon basically generates several potential Smash characters every three years, and is also one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and the biggest
multi-media franchise in the world. You don't have to like it, you don't have to play them, but a new Pokemon will always come.

View attachment 182719
I know they might want to keep promoting the latest generation but I still wanna hold onto some hope that
63A9B590-160B-4DB3-9B7A-4C179DC39AE2.png
will have a chance.

Wasn’t expecting to start a new page with that.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
February 2019: Piranha Plant
April 2019: Joker
June 2019: Crono
August 2019: Banjo-Kazooie
October 2019: Master Chief
December 2019: Dante

What if this was the DLC?

Shroob

Sup?
Welcome to the Smash Fanbase where Jumping to conclusions is our middle name!
If the Smash community had a brick for every time someone jumped to a conclusion over inconclusive data or misinterpreted something, we'd have built several homeless shelters.

Instead we're online bickering about technicolor chairs, cardboard boxes and Dr.Seuss.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Satisfied because its got Banjo. I personally think Banjo would make the most sense to save for last as the Big Surprise.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Replace Crono with Doomguy and Ultimate is the best game ever made.
I would actually expect Dante to release last as a parallel to Bayo being Sm4sh's last DLC.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm going to drop a minor hot take of my own

I don't understand the Ashley demand and I think alot of WarioWare characters would be tons better than her. 9-Volt, Jimmy, and Kat & Ana to name a few.

im sorry noipoi and other ashley fans
From this day forth we are anemones.

Prepare for me to die your life.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A lot of people tend to mention Crash and/or Banjo, so between those two, you gotta pick one. Who would you add?
Crash because not only does he actually have charm but because it's more exciting to have the PS1 mascot than someone who isn't a mascot

2 incredibly dope characters and a character I'm fine with? Worth Banjo on it

Shroob

Sup?
My own belief in Smash will always be:

If you don't fall into one of three categories, you're not getting in.

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

Every single character in Ultimate falls into one of these three categories, with only Pokemon being exempt because, it's Pokemon, they don't fit into any of these three, and ROB since, it's a piece of hardware, not a full-fledged video game character.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
It’s a little off topic, but who do you think will be revealed as the sixth member of the DK crew for DK 64? Nobody talks about DLC for that game, and I can’t understand why.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to drop a minor hot take of my own

I don't understand the Ashley demand and I think alot of WarioWare characters would be tons better than her. 9-Volt, Jimmy, and Kat & Ana to name a few.

im sorry noipoi and other ashley fans
Yeah, my picks would be Jimmy T. and Mona. Also I cant stand Ashley's theme.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

Every single character in Ultimate falls into one of these three categories, with only Pokemon being exempt because, it's Pokemon, they don't fit into any of these three, and ROB since, it's a piece of hardware, not a full-fledged video game character.
Is there any other role?

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

ROB is the protagonist of the real world.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Justia website is specifically the retrieval of legal trademark information in America. An American trademark doesn't mean much to a Japanese company who develops and publishes their own game in their home country of Japan, all it means is that Bandai Namco is in charge of managing the IP in America. This situation is most likely the way it is to make localization and marketing easier for FromSoftware, who probably doesn't have much interest in internally localizing and marketing the game for Western audiences.

I have an uncle who's a lawyer and he compares the situation to a YouTuber working with a network. The YouTuber forfeits all of his content to a network, who receives the money in exchange for what is essentially royalties, typically leaving a cut of 20-30% to the network in exchange for all the responsibilities they don't want to have to deal with. Just like a YouTuber can let their contract run out and drop their network in exchange for a new one, FromSoftware could easily do the same to Bandai Namco if they wanted to. They obviously don't and consider Bandai Namco a good publisher for their work, which is why you see the American copyright constantly being renewed.

As I said before, this is a situation that wouldn't affect both a Bandai Namco-published overseas, FromSoftware-owned and published in Japan IP in Solaire and a bona fide, 100% Bandai Namco owned IP in Lloyd both getting in, as it wouldn't be Bandai Namco getting two reps. ESPECIALLY since this is a game being developed fully in Japan, and all Bandai Namco would need to do is okay the character for release in the game outside of Japan, something they would absolutely do considering FromSoftware can drop them as their overseas publisher/IP handler any time they want.

Also, in no way does Lloyd have more of a chance than Solaire. Just because Joker made it in doesn't mean every 2.5D anime-esque JRPG protagonist has a high chance. Joker is likely going to be a one-of-a-kind addition, with other wildcards similar to Master Chief, Lara Croft, Dante, 2B, Geralt of Rivia, Dovahkiin, Pip Boy, etc taking the other spots. Solaire fits into that bunch a lot better than Lloyd does, especially considering he's not even close to being the most popular, recognized, or even beloved Tales character; Yuri Lowell and Millia Maxwell have Lloyd beaten by a million miles in that regard. And even looking outside of popularity and recognition/lovability, in what way would Lloyd even come close to being a great pick for a Tales Smash rep? Velvet Crowe has all 3 of Yuri, Millia, AND Lloyd beaten in how well she'd fit into Smash; she has a demon-possessed arm and a general Smash-feeling design, tons of in-game moves that fit Smash really well, and a revenge-fueled backstory that could be used exceptionally well for vocal taunts. And a Scarlet Night themed Final Smash? A match made in heaven!

Three Tales reps that completely obliterate Lloyd, and I don't think any of them have any chance of making it in over Solaire. Why are you so convinced Lloyd will make it in?
Namco and From Software would still have to work together to include Dark Souls in Smash, because while it is developed in Japan, it is a worldwide game, and therefore all copyright owners need to be involved in the process. It's also a lot more complex than just okaying a character; there are a lot of moving parts and Namco would be involved in that as the copyright holder

Anyways, Lloyd has a lot of other reasons for inclusion than "2.5D anime-esque JRPG protagonist," and I doubt we're getting all wildcard picks like you think we are. Thank you for giving me every reason to write that Lloyd speculation post though.

#3's coming soon everyone.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

And Piranha Plant because **** it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Lose Dante and put another Capcom character in his place then we're in business.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Replace Dante with any surprising Nintendo character and we good

The Animator

Smash Journeyman

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

Wouldn't every video game character fall into these 3 categories? Unless you mean main characters in which case Piranha Plant doesn't fit.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Protagonist
Secondary/Rival
Antagonist/Anti Hero

The **** is Piranha Plant

Shroob

Sup?
Wouldn't every video game character fall into these 3 categories? Unless you mean main characters in which case Piranha Plant doesn't fit.
Piranha Plant's an enemy, thus it's an antagonist. It's not on the same level as Bowser or Ganondorf, but it's still an antagonist.

Personally I always campaigned for World 1-1 Goomba but eh.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Piranha Plant's an enemy, thus it's an antagonist. It's not on the same level as Bowser or Ganondorf, but it's still an antagonist.

... So you don't think a character has a chance if they're a random good guy... but you do think he has a chance if it's a random bad guy.

Shroob

Sup?
... So you don't think a character has a chance if they're a random good guy... but you do think he has a chance if it's a random bad guy.
Piranha Plant's an oddity in general, but it still falls loosely into one of my three categories. That, and it's bringing Petey with it so it gets ****y.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Piranha Plant is the protagonist of Nintendo's upcoming game Super Piranha Plant 3D Odyssey World 64 RPG, releasing in 2019 for the Nintendo Switch.

That's why it's here, it's a promotional character.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I’d ask how would a full moveset for a Goomba would work (at least :ultpiranha: has more limbs and such) but then I remembered in addition to two other Pokémon for Cynthia, I’m working on a moveset for this thing:

So I think I’m gonna keep quiet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Piranha Plant is the protagonist of Nintendo's upcoming game Super Piranha Plant 3D Odyssey World 64 RPG, releasing in 2019 for the Nintendo Switch.

That's why it's here, it's a promotional character.
****ing knew it! Nintendo and their greedy corporate shill picks! Wouldn't be surprised if K.Rool and Ridley are added to promote new Metroid and DKC games.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice

Replace Master Chief with Doom Guy/Doom Slayer and I'd be all for it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
****ing knew it! Nintendo and their greedy corporate shill picks! Wouldn't be surprised if K.Rool and Ridley are added to promote new Metroid and DKC games.
They were specifically added to promote DK Jungle Beat 2 and New Super Federation Force.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They were specifically added to promote DK Jungle Beat 2 and New Super Federation Force.
Typical. Why won't they put in real long-time fan-favorites instead of characters that still makes physical appearances in games to this day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom