• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So then who do you think is the next most likely third party if you don't mind me asking?

Dragon Quest? Monster Hunter? Minecraft?
I think Monster Hunter is out of the running. They chose to implement that franchise in the way best representative of its gameplay, through a giant monster fight.

I mean, he did clarify already, the situation. Nintendo got a list and he chose from them.
He never said this. The idea that Nintendo gave Sakurai a list to select from was completely pulled out of thin air.

it was highly unanticipated, new to the Smash series and blindsided the masses on par with Cloud Strife.
Well, I talked about Cloud all throughout Smash 4's DLC cycle, precisely because it was obvious to me that he was the biggest third party get out there.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
ROB was a given, he saved the industry
Wii Fit Trainer was a given, Wii Fit was a phenomenon
Cloud was a given, Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever.
Joker was a given, Persona in Smash was, like, gonna happen since Brawl.

Can't we just admit we don't know **** for once lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
People on Gamefaqs are attacking him as usual. Calling him a piece of **** cause they think he was wrong about this (which he wasn't) so it's pretty normal Vergeben stuff
No he actually was wrong. He stated numerous times the Squenix rep would be the first pick.
He doesn't deserve to be attacked at all obviously-but he was wrong.

D

Deleted member

ROB was a given, he saved the industry
Wii Fit Trainer was a given, Wii Fit was a phenomenon
Cloud was a given, Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever.
Joker was a given, Persona in Smash was, like, gonna happen since Brawl.

Can't we just admit we don't know **** for once lol
I mean, yeah, you guys don't know **** because you refuse to learn from past experiences and continue to propagate echo chambers of what's likely and what's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I haven't known a thing since the day I've been born.
All I have are hopes and wants.
misguided hopes and unobtainable wants.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
He never said this. The idea that Nintendo gave Sakurai a list to select from was completely pulled out of thin air.
To quote my most wanted in Smash;

Nope, it came from the man's twitter himself:

He made it in great detail too, and quite frankly, I'm gonna take his words and Reggie for it, over conspiracy theories.

Well, I talked about Cloud all throughout Smash 4's DLC cycle, precisely because it was obvious to me that he was the biggest third party get out there.
Look, I voted for Cloud when people called me crazy. I had hopes, and yeah, maybe I could say I expected it. Congrats, we won and all that jazz.

But lord knows, that was NOT something the mainstream saw coming based off of the precedents be they fan-made or otherwise. Sure,you could say that people were short-sighted for not seeing stuff, but that doesn't change how unexpected the characters were. Unless you're really going to claim that most people saw Cloud Strife and Joker really coming.

:U Come on now.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I mean, yeah, you guys don't know **** because you refuse to learn from past experiences and continue to propagate echo chambers of what's likely and what's not.
Come on, dude.

That's just being silly and gloating with tons of hindsight backing yourself.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Okay, first off, I don't recall seeing you outright expecting Joker before that reveal. And even if you were, that's some sore winning if ever I've seen some before.

Secondly, what you're suggesting honestly supports the idea that it was unexpected. Call it a dumb reason or whatnot, but you do realize that that would mean that the collective internet as a whole is an "echo chamber" as you put it, and that would still mean that Joker was unexpected for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member

Come on, dude.

I'm not gloating, you're the one accusing me of being a revisionist. Just because you couldn't see something, doesn't mean others couldn't.
I'll admit I was a pretty big Cloud detractor back then and thought he'd never happen because Nintendo relevancy or whatever but at least I learned from when I was wrong.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'll admit I was a pretty big Cloud detractor back then and thought he'd never happen because Nintendo relevancy or whatever but at least I learned from when I was wrong.
So, I guess you could say you didn't see him coming? Despite allegedly being not an unexpected pick? I don't follow.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm not gloating, you're the one accusing me of being a revisionist. Just because you couldn't see something, doesn't mean others couldn't.
Not accusing you or anything. I was speaking generally how there's always someone who says "x or y" was obvious, even if it is someone like ROB all the way back in Brawl.

I've seen it happen since ROB was added in Smash. It's funny to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, first off, I don't recall seeing you outright expecting Joker before that reveal. And even if you were, that's some sore winning if ever I've seen some before.

Secondly, what you're suggesting honestly supports the idea that it was unexpected. Call it a dumb reason or whatnot, but you do realize that that would mean that the collective internet as a whole is an "echo chamber" as you put it, and that would still mean that Joker was unexpected for whatever reason.
I'm not gloating, I'm trying to get people to stop using Joker as justification for "we'll get Goku because that's UNEXPECTED!".
So, I guess you could say you didn't see him coming? Despite allegedly being not an unexpected pick? I don't follow.
What?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

He made it in great detail too, and quite frankly, I'm gonna take his words and Reggie for it, over conspiracy theories.
This tweet says absolutely nothing about a list. You're not taking his words. You're inventing a scenario that he is not describing.

Meanwhile...

“Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective. And so he’s been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That’s been the approach. That’s the thinking." - - Reggie

Sakurai has been the driver in thinking what type of character should come to Smash Bros. This is not a "conspiracy theory." This is very clear language that requires no interpretation or inventing a magical "list" out of nothing.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Not to pick this apart, but that's not quite the same as saying he was given a list and picked from that. These characters could have been decided one proposal at a time, rather than being picked from a list of 10, 20 or however many Nintendo came up with.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Look fellas

"We should've expected Joker" and "He was unexpected", both sides literally cannot change the other minds

If some of us feel they themselves should learn from not expecting Joker; let them
If they don't; let them not do so. There's no right or wrong on if we should've expected Joker so learning or not learning isn't necessary.

He's in the game-whether we should've expected him or not is 100% subjective and there's no right answer-so let's stop this argument for the second time

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm not gloating, I'm trying to get people to stop using Joker as justification for "we'll get Goku because that's UNEXPECTED!".
Okay? I don't think anyone worth the time was doing that. I'm referring more so to how you originally claimed that the DLC charcters being unexpected was supposedly a deadend of speculation and just a PR talk, when really, all else points to the contrary.

Now, if you're talking about Goku speculations, then yeah, I can see why you'd object to those levels.
I'm confused, becuase you claimed that Cloud wasn't an unexpected pick despite the fact that you yourself weren't expecting it originally.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, I think I've changed my mind of some of my DLC wants. Reggie said during The Game Awards they will all be third party, right?

1)Agumon(or any Digimon for that matter, Shoutmon has better moveset potential)
2)Jesse(Minecraft Story Mode, and isn't a "blank slate" trope like Steve is. Well that's a half truth. Because headcanon and all that is 10x worse in SM)
3)Doctor Robotnic.(HEY WE NEED A SONIC REP, AND ROBOTNIC IS BETTER THAN EGGMAN. Wait... *Google Robotnic*

THEY ARE THE SAME CHARACTER, NVM)
4)I don't really care who.

D

Deleted member

Okay? I don't think anyone worth the time was doing that
Exaggeration for emphasiz
I'm referring more so to how you originally claimed that the DLC charcters being unexpected was supposedly a deadend of speculation and just a PR talk, when really, all else points to the contrary.
Because it is PR talk.
Reggie would never say "these characters are the ones you'd expect to see in Smash". Saying they're unexpected gets people interested to see who's next.
I'm confused, becuase you claimed that Cloud wasn't an unexpected pick despite the fact that you yourself weren't expecting it originally.
I'm talking about Joker, not Cloud.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The Wii Fit Balance Board is a master that has their own dojo. They teach the Lightweight Style to your spirits.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This tweet says absolutely nothing about a list. You're not taking his words.
I mean, if you want to get technical, sure he doesn't mention specifically a list. But he still says that Nintendo were the ones who made the DLC selections from which he decides whether or not they can make a fighter out of.

I mean, "Selection" is the "list" in question that Sakurai chooses the fighters from. But okay, let's not call it a list. Nintendo are still the ones who made the initial choices for Sakurai to choose and decide from.
“Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective. And so he’s been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That’s been the approach. That’s the thinking." - - Reggie
Yes, and that doesn't contradict the current speculation scene one bit. Reggie never said that Sakurai is the one that picked the DLC characters off the bat. We still know that Nintendo were the ones farming out the fighter ideas. Sakurai just had the final say on who from that selection he'd pick to be a fighter.

We didn't know Nintendo asked for Joker as it wasn't expected. Now if we did know that beforehand, then Joker would've been expected. Plain and simple as that.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Because it is PR talk.
Reggie would never say "these characters are the ones you'd expect to see in Smash". Saying they're unexpected gets people interested to see who's next.
Well of course it was made to get people excited. Doesn't mean it's not true still. Reggie kinda has a knack for hyping people up while being as honest as much as business will allow him. I mean, he said they'd be on the level of Joker, which he didn't have to do, and there are plenty o other ways he could've worded it still to hype. He knows his craft well and he's never steered consumers wrong.

So why bother telling folks not speculate on it?
I'm talking about Joker, not Cloud.
Cloud came up in part of the debate for "not being unexpected".

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A lot of people tend to mention Crash and/or Banjo, so between those two, you gotta pick one. Who would you add?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Come on, dude.

He's right in saying that we create an echo chamber here and confine our expectations to that.

He's wrong about Cloud being obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom