• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Ed Boon Tweeted about Smash
>2015, at the beginning of the development of Smash Ultimate
>Today we have Mortal Kombat 11 on the Nintendo Switch
>This is the first MK Japan will get to buy in 10 years
>This is the first MK game on a Nintendo console in 13 years
>Classic Scorpion is the Face of Mortal Kombat 11

The facts are adding up
Maybe its realy time to think about Scorpion in Smash Brothers my friends

View attachment 182561
Please stop acting like Boon's tweets have anything to do with Scorpion's chances. There is 0 way negotiating for Scorpion could've began in 2015, especially when, at that point, he'd have just been in the base roster.

Won't argue the other facts-just that bit.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Apparently it just came in sometime after I posted here for me. Weird.
Yeah, the email for Pirahna Plant can take up to 10 days to arrive, they said.

I redeemed my coins at 3am on the 7th, just got the code a couple hours ago.

Shroob

Sup?
Please stop acting like Boon's tweets have anything to do with Scorpion's chances. There is 0 way negotiating for Scorpion could've began in 2015, especially when, at that point, he'd have just been in the base roster.

Can't the same be said of Phil Spencer and Banjo though?

Graizen

Smash Champion

0 way?
You have to stop acting like God sometimes.

Negotiations take time.

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
Hey guys! I haven't been on this thread since the first leaks of the game. I'm coming here from about 17 hours on the game since day one. How's everyone enjoying the game? Any mains? Really curious to here everybody's thoughts and such now that we have our hands on the game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Can't the same be said of Phil Spencer and Banjo though?
...yeah? I never bought up B&K.

For Scorpion and B&K other things are in their favor then tweets-specifically when they may be DLC. In that case the tweets just clearly show they may consider having the character in.

0 way?
You have to stop acting like God sometimes.

Negotiations take time.
Okay, but they don't take over 3 years. Especially if Boon is as enthusiastic to put him in as you imply he is.
I'm sorry, but there's simply 0 way. And even if they were, I really doubt Boon would violate a potential NDA and even hint at Scorpion.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just don't see Mortal Kombat in Smash for the same reason that I don't see Dragon Quest.

It's the exact opposite of Dragon Quest. It's not a hit in Japan and thus probably wouldn't sell well as DLC there.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone. Is there anything special about
new game plus in world of light?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey guys! I haven't been on this thread since the first leaks of the game. I'm coming here from about 17 hours on the game since day one. How's everyone enjoying the game? Any mains? Really curious to here everybody's thoughts and such now that we have our hands on the game.
I'm the best with these guys :ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley:. They're really fun.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I just don't see Mortal Kombat in Smash for the same reason that I don't see Dragon Quest.

It's the exact opposite of Dragon Quest. It's not a hit in Japan and thus probably wouldn't sell well as DLC there.
At the very least, you can actually buy most of the mainline Dragon Quest games worldwide.

Untouch

Smash Master

I think Nintendo knows DLC is going to sell regardless, so they really don't care.
I don't think Mortal Kombat is in Smash for other reasons, Sakurai likes sticking to source material perfectly, and it'd be hard to replicate fatalities in an E10 game, even brutalities won't work.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo knows DLC is going to sell regardless, so they really don't care.
I don't think Mortal Kombat is in Smash for other reasons, Sakurai likes sticking to source material perfectly, and it'd be hard to replicate fatalities in an E10 game, even brutalities won't work.
If we're gonna use the "DLC will sell regardless point" then that basically invalidates the argument against quite a bit of characters such as Geno.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, DQ hit a million+ sales for its last 3 internationally released DQs, so I'd say it's doing fine.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Latios and Latias' spirit battle is bullcrap.
I didn't think it was that bad, especially when compared to Geno, Victini, Pauline, or Dr. Wily. Staying on the lowest part of the stage seems to make it so you avoid most of Latios and Latias's attacks, and then it's a matter of beating two Charizards.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wouldn't get hyped for this. It's probably for that Nvideo Sheild thing over in China.
I wouldn't get hyped for it either. It's Other M. But. It's not for China. The trademark is for Japan.

“Nintendo Co., Ltd. has applied for a Super Mario Galaxy (and Metroid Other M) trademark in Japan for purposes including ‘video game program’, ‘downloadable video game program’, and 'program for smartphone’.”
So the first two purposes can be linked to Switch ports. The third is perplexing. Are they really planning on porting Galaxy and Other M to smartphones? Or are they dipping their toes into cloud gaming?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So the first two purposes can be linked to Switch ports. The third is perplexing. Are they really planning on porting Galaxy and Other M to smartphones? Or are they dipping their toes into cloud gaming?
It could be some kind of a spin-off using the characters and worlds?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
With all this talk about Scorpion/Ed Boon, I gotta say: It's odd how context totally changes one's opinions on a character inclusion.

When NRS added Scorpion to Injustice, I hated it. This was a DC fighting game that already played like Mortal Kombat; I didn't need an actual MK character on the roster, dammit.

But if Smash added Scorpion? That'd be ****ing hot.

I don't think it'll ever happen, but it's fun to dream.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With all this talk about Scorpion/Ed Boon, I gotta say: It's odd how context totally changes one's opinions on a character inclusion.

When NRS added Scorpion to Injustice, I hated it. This was a DC fighting game that already played like Mortal Kombat; I didn't need an actual MK character on the roster, dammit.

But if Smash added Scorpion? That'd be ****ing hot.

I don't think it'll ever happen, but it's fun to dream.
Probably because one's a Superhero crossover and the other's a videogame crossover.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Probably because one's a Superhero crossover and the other's a videogame crossover.
Fair point. It's a combination of a lot of things, though. The first ever good DC fighting game, yet a character slot is wasted on a non-DC character. The perceived laziness of of NRS porting their own character from one game to another. The familiarity because of course NRS is going to put in a ****ing MK character. The fact that we've already gotten to see Scorpion versus Batman in another game. Etc.

With Smash, Scorpion would just be so out of nowhere, and I'd be all for it.

Also.

Someone. Anyone.
Tell me how to change the menu music.
Word on the street is it's a reward for beating WoL.

I haven't confirmed it yet but I've seen it said here multiple times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To put it simply, we have no ****ing clue when the next general direct is.

The last, non-Smash was in September, an entire 3 months ago, let that sink it.

January or Feb both are likely, Feb seems more likely since they'd pull the "Piranha Plant is available after the Direct" and then drop some gameplay of Joker with a release date for him, while teasing DLC character 3.
The thing is that historically, there's always been big news during January for Nintendo. Most of the years, if not, all of them pretty much were Direct-based. The only time there wasn't a Direct was in 2017, but that was being a ****ing monster conference for the Switch. I don't see how 2019 will be different when there's Smash DLC, Metroid, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, list goes on.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think Moray Towers is possibly the worst stage in the game. It's by far the worst of the new stages. What a mess. Hard to see, inconsistent gimmick, and oddly shaped. I love Moray Towers in Splatoon, but here it's terrible.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think Moray Towers is possibly the worst stage in the game. It's by far the worst of the new stages. What a mess. Hard to see, inconsistent gimmick, and oddly shaped. I love Moray Towers in Splatoon, but here it's terrible.
Gotta agree.

Until you turn it into a Battlefield stage. Then it's the best Battlefield stage.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
It's not a hit in Japan and thus probably wouldn't sell well as DLC there.
Ridley, K. Rool, and Dark Samus have more western support than in Japan. I don't think this really matters

Scorpion's most famous fatality is revealing his skull head and breathing fire on people. It's silly. I always imagined that being his final smash, possibly making it larger and being able to aim it. If anything, if the move is guarenteed to KO the opponent, it should cause them to explode, maybe with the FATALITY sound clip. Ridley has something like this, so what's stopping Scorpion?

So many people see the gore as a factor in killing Scorpion/Sub Zero's chances but it's not at all. If Sakurai wants to stick to the source material, he'll stick to the classic trilogy and pull from there. It's nothing too brutal or gorey for him to use.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I wanted to bring something for your guys to see
About Mortal Kombat and Smash.

Ed Boon made some posts about "Smash Bros"
All posts from 2015
Look:

View attachment 182552
View attachment 182553
View attachment 182554

I would say "This means nothing"
But to think this guy is the face of Mortal Kombat
AND TODAY WE HAVE THIS ON THE SWITCH:

View attachment 182555

This realy makes me think about the chances of MK in Smash this time
And i think its VERY good
Based and Boonpilled. Honestly, either Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be great, but it all hinges on Sakurai's decision. Who knows? It could happen!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's good. It's just not as good.

The pecking order clearly goes Brawl>Melee=Ultimate>For>64.

Fight me, dissenters.
64's a damn jam you take that back.

(On a side note how cool is it we FINALLY get the FD, Meta Crystal, menu, and Battlefield theme from Smash 64? Only took us three games!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom