• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hoping that no Zelda character ends up bottom/low tier for once. But man, I wonder how crazy the tier will look when it comes out, based on size and the usual.
Luckily for you, Young Link's results are looking very nice.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Clearly if we are going for unexpected then we'll be getting Sceptile or Decidueye. Sceptile was a high ballot request and Decidueye was the go to Pokemon before Vergeben leaked out that it wasn't him. Neither of them were shown off as a spirit.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Clearly if we are going for unexpected then we'll be getting Sceptile or Decidueye. Sceptile was a high ballot request and Decidueye was the go to Pokemon before Vergeben leaked out that it wasn't him. Neither of them were shown off as a spirit.
>did well on ballot
>unexpected
okay.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm sorry man but you're fooling yourself here
Sceptile was in the lowest tier of big Ballot requests, Decidueye wasn't in base for a reason.
It's less what Nintendo wants for Pokemon, then what TPC wants, and Sceptile and Decidueye don't really promote anything relevant sadly.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Looking on the Serebii pokeball page, some Pokemon won't appear on certain stages. Pretty sure this is the first time in the series this has happened.

Alolan Exeggutor not showing up on enclosed low-ceiling stages makes sense I guess, and so does Palkia not appearing on Spear Pillar. (although Robin's final smash Chrom still shows up when fighter Chrom is on the field)

Golden Plains disallows a LOT of Pokemon for some reason. How would they cause problems with the gold power-up mechanic?

And some like Alolan Raichu aren't allowed on Spirit Train. How does the scrolling aspect cause problems?

Serebii Serebii if you aren't too busy, could you give your thoughts on this about why some might not appear?

---

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The really annoying part about being put in stock 4vs4s you don't want to be in is that, if you want to raise you rank, the most degenerate strategies are the most effective ones.

I don't want to be camping here in the corner spamming Ivysaur's Razor Leaf and Bair, but if I try to go in with Squirtle or Charizard I'll just get tossed around in the chaos. It's not worth the risk.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Okay. I’m hyped again with the release of the game, and reveal of Joker.

I want to know who everyone thinks is going to be DLC.

I’ll go first,
1. Joker
2. Monster Hunter
3. Travis Touchdown
4. Sora
5. Slime

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
What if Yu or Makoto was in, not Joker?
PLEASE know that this have nothing to do with my opinion on Joker; I LOVE him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hoping that no Zelda character ends up bottom/low tier for once. But man, I wonder how crazy the tier will look when it comes out, based on size and the usual.
Ganondorf for top tier

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
...his whole thing is that he's a Mario character...he promotes their biggest franchise.
Also, you know what, no, I'm tired of this point. He's known enough and wanted enough to get him a Mii Costume, Spirit, and online icon.
Geno is a Mario character who hasn't been in a game for 20 years. That's why he doesn't promote anything relevant. It's not as though there'll be a new game with him in it, because he's owned by Square and not Nintendo. His Mii Costume likely came from the ballot as other characters got them too. Compared to other choices, even those from his own series, Geno pales. I'm really not expecting to see him as the Square rep if we get one.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Okay. I’m hyped again with the release of the game, and reveal of Joker.

I want to know who everyone thinks is going to be DLC.

I’ll go first,
1. Joker
2. Monster Hunter
3. Travis Touchdown
4. Sora
5. Slime
1. Joker
2. Edelgard
3. Slime
4. Steve
5. Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So which line-up do you prefer?

Path #1:
Challenger Pack #1: Joker
Challenger Pack #2: Dante
Challenger Pack #3: Doomguy
Challenger Pack #4: Ryu Hayabusa
Challenger Pack #5: Lloyd

Path #2:
Challenger Pack #2: Tracer
Challenger Pack #3: KOS MOS
Challenger Pack #4: Sora
Challenger Pack #5: Monster Hunter

Path #3:
Challenger Pack #2: 2B
Challenger Pack #3: Travis Touchdown
Challenger Pack #4: Scorpion
Challenger Pack #5: Dragonborn
The Path that leads me to Ammy, but out of these three, Path #2.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno is a Mario character who hasn't been in a game for 20 years. That's why he doesn't promote anything relevant. It's not as though there'll be a new game with him in it, because he's owned by Square and not Nintendo. His Mii Costume likely came from the ballot as other characters got them too. Compared to other choices, even those from his own series, Geno pales. I'm really not expecting to see him as the Square rep if we get one.
This is not the point I am making. The point I was making is that Geno promotes a Nintendo franchise.
You said it yourself. "His costume likely came from the Ballot".
An obscure 20 year old character...who's so fan demanded they went to Squenix and got a costume. And a Spirit, and an icon.
But he's still so obscure, compared to other Mario choices apparently, that you still rule him out totally?

Bee Card

Smash Ace
...his whole thing is that he's a Mario character...he promotes their biggest franchise.
Also, you know what, no, I'm tired of this point. He's known enough and wanted enough to get him a Mii Costume, Spirit, and online icon.
Mario is a more mainstream franchise so I don't know why this character will promotes the Mario franchise.
I don't think that Nintendo want to highlight a character while they don't have any rights on him.
About the mii costume there's a Flyingman costume from Mother so I think that means nothing about his importance.
Same about the spirit, there's some spirit which even a hardcore nintendo fan may not know.
Idk for japan and north america, but the fact is that in europe where SMRPG doesn't came, the character is totally unknown.

D

Deleted member

damn, for all the character unlocked, Ive had to cheese them all with Villagers tree. Every single one of them was unlocked with Villagers Tree. At this point the Tree might as well be a character
For me tbh the best cheesing was Cloud's Limit Break

I've never heard the words "genkai wo koeru" more in my life

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
This is not the point I am making. The point I was making is that Geno promotes a Nintendo franchise.
You said it yourself. "His costume likely came from the Ballot".
An obscure 20 year old character...who's so fan demanded they went to Squenix and got a costume. And a Spirit, and an icon.
But he's still so obscure, compared to other Mario choices apparently, that you still rule him out totally?
I'm sorry man but you're fooling yourself here
Sceptile was in the lowest tier of big Ballot requests, Decidueye wasn't in base for a reason.
It's less what Nintendo wants for Pokemon, then what TPC wants, and Sceptile and Decidueye don't really promote anything relevant sadly.
Here you said that Sceptile and Decidueye don't promote anything. But you're saying that Geno promotes a Nintendo franchise? Is this not somewhat inconsistent?

His costume likely came from the ballot, I believe that, but that doesn't mean he necessarily ranked really really high to warrant playable status. Even if they wanted to give Geno a future in Mario, they couldn't because they don't own him. This is why irrelevancy hurts him more than characters like KKR imo. Nintendo and Square Enix could both make more of a profit by choosing another character to include over Geno.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mario is a more mainstream franchise so I don't know why this character will promotes the Mario franchise.
I don't think that Nintendo want to highlight a character while they don't have any rights on him.
About the mii costume there's a Flyingman costume from Mother so I think that means nothing about his importance.
Same about the spirit, there's some spirit which even a hardcore nintendo fan may not know.
Idk for japan and north america, but the fact is that in europe where SMRPG doesn't came, the character is totally unknown.
I don't understand.
Geno is a Mario character. By this, he promotes Mario. What is the hold-up here?
And, no, it does. Let's put this in perspective. They would've had to have business talks to get the rights for his costume.
An obscure 20 year old character. Got a costume, a third party one-all due to fan demand. Same for the Spirit too. Flyingman's inclusion as a costume has no correlation.
SMRPG came out in Europe 10 years ago.

Here you said that Sceptile and Decidueye don't promote anything. But you're saying that Geno promotes a Nintendo franchise? Is this not somewhat inconsistent?

His costume likely came from the ballot, I believe that, but that doesn't mean he necessarily ranked really really high to warrant playable status. Even if they wanted to give Geno a future in Mario, they couldn't because they don't own him. This is why irrelevancy hurts him more than characters like KKR imo. Nintendo and Square Enix could both make more of a profit by choosing another character to include over Geno.
Please point out where I said this about Sceptile.
My point was that Decidueye does not promote the upcoming generation Pokemon Company wants to focus on. And it's quite obvious they're why we ALWAYS get new Pokemon reps. Geno is in a very different situation.
Sakurai himself even said Geno still gets a ton of requests.
I won't lie to myself and say other Squenix choices wouldn't get nearly as much profit, but he's by far the easiest popular Squenix choice to nab, and gives Nintendo a lot of promotion. And honestly, we're underselling how much Geno would sell. He's been wanted for 10 years, people.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
1. Joker
2. Slime
3. Steve
4. Edelgard
5. Ryu Hayabusa
Thanks.

Aside from Joker, for me, I guess:
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Terry Bogard (SNK ties?)
3. Monster Hunter (or any notable Capcom character. Phoenix Wright?)
4. An FE character (can't say)

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Uh, yeah, there would be.
I don't know where you're going with this.
Just an WHAT-IF question. I actively got more curious thinking about it as the day goes.

Also what moves they would have, and others.

basically i'm bored

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bro at this point you could take a **** in a bag and have Nintendo publish it with a Mario logo and it would sell millions and break records

Even though he's not relevant or new, Geno is still very well known amongst the Smash community and normal fans would still be pretty hyped because he's a Mario character. Mario and Pokemon characters are guaranteed best selling safe and easy picks for Sakurai to make. I guarantee that if SE didn't own Geno, he would be been in the game at this point.

And I'm speaking as someone who couldn't care less if Geno got in or not

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just an WHAT-IF question. I actively got more curious thinking about it as the day goes.

Also what moves they would have, and others.
Well for Yu, look at Persona 4 Arena.
For Makoto, he can use every weapon his team can including a shortsword, greatsword, boxing gloves, bows, and spears, on top of having 2 main personas. One focused on healing and fire, and the other based on dark, almighty, and physical.

Played 4 Golden and 5. Still need to play 3, but the weird party AI scares me a little.
Play Persona 3 Portable. You can manually control your team that way.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
My point was that Decidueye does not promote the upcoming generation Pokemon Company wants to focus on. And it's quite obvious they're why we ALWAYS get new Pokemon reps. Geno is in a very different situation.
I won't lie to myself and say other Squenix choices wouldn't get nearly as much profit, but he's by far the easiest popular Squenix choice to nab, and gives Nintendo a lot of promotion. And honestly, we're underselling how much Geno would sell. He's been wanted for 10 years, people.
Geno doesn't promote Mario because he isn't ever relevant in it. He can't promote something that he's barely tied to. With faces such as Toad and Paper Mario still not in, who have games of their own, Geno promoting Mario does not make sense imo. He doesn't give Nintendo a lot of promotion because he's way less relevant than any other pick they could choose.
Bro at this point you could take a **** in a bag and have Nintendo publish it with a Mario logo and it would sell millions and break records

Even though he's not relevant or new, Geno is still very well known amongst the Smash community and normal fans would still be pretty hyped because he's a Mario character. Mario and Pokemon characters are guaranteed best selling safe and easy picks for Sakurai to make. I guarantee that if SE didn't own Geno, he would be been in the game at this point.

And I'm speaking as someone who couldn't care less if Geno got in or not
Normal fans can't get hyped over a character being from Mario if they never knew the character existed. Geno's been irrelevant for two decades, a Mario logo isn't going to help with that. The Smash community doesn't make a majority of the sales and there's other characters from Square Enix that are wildly more popular. Sora for sure, if legal rights permit it. Geno is different from a Pokemon because he isn't new, he's old. Even the new Pokemon have the anime so people who don't play the games may have seen them somewhere. Geno is a "who?" to anyone who isn't in the Smash community or didn't play his one game.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I don't understand.
Geno is a Mario character. By this, he promotes Mario. What is the hold-up here?
And, no, it does. Let's put this in perspective. They would've had to have business talks to get the rights for his costume.
An obscure 20 year old character. Got a costume, a third party one-all due to fan demand. Same for the Spirit too. Flyingman's inclusion as a costume has no correlation.
SMRPG came out in Europe 10 years ago.

Yes but when they promote a series with a character, they also promote the character himself, and they associate the character to the series. I don't think they want to associate and promote a character where they don't have the rights when they can do for another character from the series.
And SMRPG came too late in europe and on the virtual console, so it's not a real release. I don't think that much people played it in europe (especially with a game that get old).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom