• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I won’t care if there’s no smash news if the game awards are even half as entertaining as they were last year.
The only thing I'm not excited about (aside from the awards themselves, just get RDR2's GOTY out of the way and get over it) is the inevitable Death Stranding teaser.

Everything I have seen about that game makes me uncomfortable in a very bad way.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
The only thing I'm not excited about (aside from the awards themselves, just get RDR2's GOTY out of the way and get over it) is the inevitable Death Stranding teaser.

Everything I have seen about that game makes me uncomfortable in a very bad way.
i really love how death stranding looks so different strokes

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sylux is currently, a nothing character.

There is nothing there.

Just ten years of teases that there might be something.
Good for him that the day he could truly develop is ideal timing for Smash DLC then

D

Deleted member

Lets make it worse

It takes potshots at Demifiend like DmC
How would that work? Would a transparent blanket marked with black and blue lines fall on him or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd be OK with another Metroid rep if only for another stage/new music. Don't think it's terribly likely though

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We live in the timeline where y'all want Sylux and not Anthony Higgins
In my defense, I don't want either?

I want MP4 to have a brand new villain who isn't Sylux or tied down by any previous lore and I want that villain to be interesting. And if that happens, I want that character in Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
yall forgetting that rob exists
ROB IS MY BOY DON'T TOU DARE DO HIM DIRTY

Out of the games he was an important piece of gaming history and in the games he was a central figure in Brawl's story, continuity that was kept in Smash 4 so uhh, no?

Droodle

Smash Lord
MRW when everyone is talking about characters like Banjo, Sylux, Bandana Dee, and Rex, when the obvious threat is preparing for Smash war.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
ROB IS MY BOY DON'T TOU DARE DO HIM DIRTY

Out of the games he was an important piece of gaming history and in the games he was a central figure in Brawl's story, continuity that was kept in Smash 4 so uhh, no?
before smash bros he was even less of an actual character than sylux, who did exist at the period and had speculation going for him because of prime 3's ending

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
rob, game and watch, villager, duck hunt, miis, dr mario, piranha plant, wii fit trainer
ROB: Again, didn't know he was 10 characters lol, very different situation from Sylux. Sure, have the point, but there is a CLEAR distinction between the two's situations
Game and Watch: Literally almost all of his moves are references try again
Villager: See Game and Watch
Duck Hunt: See Game and Watch, dude busts out references to his home console and other classic games
Miis: Making something out of nothing...except a ton of the Mii Fighter moves are just basic martial arts, swordsmanship, gunning. I guess you can have this point, but you really shouldn't.
Dr Mario: He's literally Mario why is this a serious point. Dude also references his game through his Neutral Special.
Piranha Plant: See Game and Watch
Wii Fit Trainer: See Piranha Plant

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Huh, just realized that Roy's blog post was done last night.

I wonder why they decided to do Mewtwo last? I honestly thought they'd finish off with Luigi or Yoshi.

Ah well, it doesn't really matter anyways.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
ROB: Again, didn't know he was 10 characters lol, very different situation from Sylux. Sure, have the point, but there is a CLEAR distinction between the two's situations
Game and Watch: Literally almost all of his moves are references try again
Villager: See Game and Watch
Duck Hunt: See Game and Watch, dude busts out references to his home console and other classic games
Miis: Making something out of nothing...except a ton of the Mii Fighter moves are just basic martial arts, swordsmanship, gunning. I guess you can have this point, but you really shouldn't.
Dr Mario: He's literally Mario why is this a serious point. Dude also references his game through his Neutral Special.
Piranha Plant: See Game and Watch
Wii Fit Trainer: See Piranha Plant
yeah but the specific argument is about if those are actual characters or not, i love almost every character here but i would never actually call any of them real characters

real characters as in actually having pre-established personality, not real characters as in playable

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
before smash bros he was even less of an actual character than sylux, who did exist at the period and had speculation going for him because of prime 3's ending
Yeah but that's not ROB's point for existence.
A lot of characters aren't meant to be deep but to fulfill their roles in their games. Most in fact are games first, story second.
Every character you've listed fulfills what they were set out to do.

However Sylux is meant to be the villain of Prime 4 (supposedly) and he has yet to fulfill that role or any significant role at all.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Don’t lie.

How many of you weebs thought Rodin was a playable character when you first saw him.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
yeah but the specific argument is about if those are actual characters or not, i love almost every character here but i would never actually call any of them real characters
NONE of these characters can classify as making something out of nothing, not even character-wise, all of them have established places in Nintendo history and the vast majority of them have lore and otherwise have game appearances. This is a silly argument, and Sylux is in a very different situation from every fighter you noted.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

real characters as in actually having pre-established personality, not real characters as in playable
Dr. Mario has more personality than Mario Mario sans besides RPG appearances

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
NONE of these characters can classify as making something out of nothing, not even character-wise, all of them have established places in Nintendo history and the vast majority of them have lore and otherwise have game appearances. This is a silly argument, and Sylux is in a very different situation from every fighter you noted.
you

you know sylux is playable in prime hunters right

D

Deleted member

Don’t lie.

How many of you ****ers thought Rodin was a character when you first saw him.
I thought he was a skin but realised ‘oh wait he’s probably an assist’. I was mostly just rolling from the fact that the Bayonetta 2 switch teaser actually ended up being a hint.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don’t lie.

How many of you ****ers thought Rodin was a character when you first saw him.
Nobody.
If you're not CG, you're a character. (Unless you're a non-Ken echo, in which case maybe some crazy guy out there thought he'd be a Ganondorf echo.)

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
my echelon of wants right now is basicall

1. retro character
2. any villain character no matter how shallow
3. waddle dee
4. any other first party
5. any third parties

D

Deleted member

Sykux was a boss and playable. I’m not gonna argue he has tons of established character, because he doesn’t and is mostly riding on hints and teasers. But he has actually done stuff. Whether that makes him ‘worthy’ or established enough for smash is up to you.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Sykux was a boss and playable. I’m not gonna argue he has tons of established character, because he doesn’t and is mostly riding on hints and teasers. But he has actually done stuff. Whether that makes him ‘worthy’ or established enough for smash is up to you.
this is basically what i'm trying to say

i do want sylux but i do realize he is insanely shallow as a character and has not a lot going for him, but he is still MORE of a character than most of the retro guys (all of which i love do not get me wrong)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
this is basically what i'm trying to say

i do want sylux but i do realize he is insanely shallow as a character and has not a lot going for him, but he is still MORE of a character than most of the retro guys (all of which i love do not get me wrong)
I'll admit though, this is a valid point.

D

Deleted member

Man we didn’t get a retro this game huh? Shame, those tend to be some of my favourite characters. Mach Rider was the character that interested me the most on the grinch leak.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
like i love rob with all my heart and wish he was better but like

all of his characterization comes from smash bros. the same can be said for mr game and watch and (arguably) ice climbers. smash has the ability to really inject personality into truly nothing characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom