• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Man we didn’t get a retro this game huh? Shame, those tend to be some of my favourite characters. Mach Rider was the character that interested me the most on the grinch leak.
Something to consider though.

NES/SNES era games have become the new retro collectively, and :ultsimon::ultkrool::ultridley: are all known for their appearances in that era of gaming. (Ridley somewhat less since, unlike the other two, he keeps showing up in newer games in his franchise.)

It could simply be that since Smash has been ongoing for nearly two decades, the retro window has simply shifted.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
like i love rob with all my heart and wish he was better but like

all of his characterization comes from smash bros. the same can be said for mr game and watch and (arguably) ice climbers. smash has the ability to really inject personality into truly nothing characters
While again your point is valid, I just feel those cases are different. Like, they're all retro, old gaming characters, who are unused, fulfilled their purpose.
Sylux just isn't under that category. I'd like for him to, well, "prove" himself before joining Smash, because he's still a total mystery.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i'd consider simon our "retro" this game but i still would've liked to see someone

weirder

monadoboy

Smash Lord
like i love rob with all my heart and wish he was better but like

all of his characterization comes from smash bros. the same can be said for mr game and watch and (arguably) ice climbers. smash has the ability to really inject personality into truly nothing characters
I thought ROB was kinda cute in the Mario Kart game it was in
I guess that's why I wasn't that surprised when I saw it was in Brawl

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This. While I may not necessarily like him, the Doritos Pope knows how to put on one hell of a show.

**** the Oscars.
Have we been watching the same Game Awards?

Until like the last 2-3 years when they got more focused on being "winter E3" these things were unbearable ****shows. Even Neil Patrick Harris couldn't make it fun to watch.

D

Deleted member

Something to consider though.

NES/SNES era games have become the new retro collectively, and :ultsimon::ultkrool::ultridley: are all known for their appearances in that era of gaming. (Ridley somewhat less since, unlike the other two, he keeps showing up in newer games in his franchise.)

It could simply be that since Smash has been ongoing for nearly two decades, the retro window has simply shifted.
That’s true, but one of the things I liked about retros in prior games was that they gave comebacks and breathed new life into characters that hadn’t made substantial appearances in years. Like I suppose K. Rool falls under that window, but he’s from an existing series that was already in so I guess it doesn’t feel the same if you get me.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
While again your point is valid, I just feel those cases are different. Like, they're all retro, old gaming characters, who are unused, fulfilled their purpose.
Sylux just isn't under that category. I'd like for him to, well, "prove" himself before joining Smash, because he's still a total mystery.
if you wanna get into that, sylux's entire purpose was to be the mysterious villain character in prime hunters, which he definitely was

only reason he keeps coming back is because the director of the games really likes him and seems to have always wanted to do a game actually exploring his character, but it wasn't the reason he was created

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
rob, game and watch, villager, duck hunt, miis, dr mario, piranha plant, wii fit trainer
R.O.B. - ROB has Subspace under his belt, which is still canon to Smash at least, given his Boxing Ring title being "The last of his kind"
Game & Watch - Game & Watch also has his Subspace stuff, but aside from that he does admittedly not have much to his backstory.
Villager - doesn't have much, but that's kinda as a result of his origins, and he doesn't really need much either.
Duck Hunt - Same as Villager
Miis - only don't have anything if you want them to. Miis are what you make of them, that's the point.
Dr. Mario - Same as Villager
Piranha Plant - Admittedly doesn't have much aside from a lengthy history.
WFT - Same as Villager.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Until like the last 2-3 years when they got more focused on being "winter E3" these things were unbearable ****shows. Even Neil Patrick Harris couldn't make it fun to watch.
Yeah I'm talking about starting 2-3 years ago.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
if you wanna get into that, sylux's entire purpose was to be the mysterious villain character in prime hunters, which he definitely was

only reason he keeps coming back is because the director of the games really likes him and seems to have always wanted to do a game actually exploring his character, but it wasn't the reason he was created
Well as you said...
He's mysterious. Still a complete mystery, and he keeps coming back because he has a clear purpose yet to be fulfilled.

D

Deleted member

I thought 2017’s were really unintentionally funny. Stuff like GTFO and of course Josef fares really came out of nowhere and turned what would have been a boring shillfest into something you could laugh at. Who watches them for the awards anyway?
Agree that when the awards had focus they were unbearable though

D

Deleted member

I really wish that we could get an actual Metroid character instead of Sylux if we get a 4th one(ZSS doesn't count and I'll die on this hill).
Give me Kraid, the other original Space Pirate.
Give me Mother Brain, the original main villain and one of the first female ones from Nintendo.
Give me a Metroid, not a Metroid Prime, but the little jellies the series is named after.
****, I'll take Anthony Higgs at this point because at least he has a character.

Metroid has a bunch of cool characters. It may not have the most workable or numerous cast of characters but after Piranha Plant, I'm sure Sakurai could make anything work.
Like, ok, sure, MB would be weird to make work even with her One Winged Angel form and a Metroid doesn't have limbs. But c'mon, Mini Kraid exists, we don't even need to argue about size this time

Don’t lie.

How many of you ****ers thought Rodin was a character when you first saw him.
I had to do a double take on him, Alucard amd Zero. Sakurai gave me way too many heart attacks with those assists.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

schick hydrobot, taking it to the next level

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I thought 2017’s were really unintentionally funny. Stuff like GTFO and of course Josef fares really came out of nowhere and turned what would have been a boring shillfest into something you could laugh at. Who watches them for the awards anyway?
Agree that when the awards had focus they were unbearable though
was schick hydrobot 2016 or 2017, i can't remember because both those years felt exactly the same. like in general, not just for the awards

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Part of me expects nothing of the game awards, but honestly?
There's a small part of me that hopes they continue the Zelda stuff.
Like a Linkle DLC for both BotW and Smash

D

Deleted member

I really wish that we could get an actual Metroid character instead of Sylux if we get a 4th one(ZSS doesn't count and I'll die on this hill).
Give me Kraid, the other original Space Pirate.
Give me Mother Brain, the original main villain and one of the first female ones from Nintendo.
Give me a Metroid, not a Metroid Prime, but the little jellies the series is named after.
****, I'll take Anthony Higgs at this point because at least he has a character.

Metroid has a bunch of cool characters. It may not have the most workable or numerous cast of characters but after Piranha Plant, I'm sure Sakurai could make anything work.
Like, ok, sure, MB would be weird to make work even with her One Winged Angel form and a Metroid doesn't have limbs. But c'mon, Mini Kraid exists, we don't even need to argue about size this time

I had to do a double take on him, Alucard amd Zero. Sakurai gave me way too many heart attacks with those assists.
literally what’s the point of getting Kraid in if you’re gonna use mini Kraid. That’s would be like making Godzilla super tiny in a fighting game. Yes I know Kraid was originally small, but he’s far more well-known as a giant and zero mission even retconned his size. Yes I know too big, but being big is Kraid’s entire point. With Ridley it’s debatable, but with Kraig it’s practically undeniable

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For real, unless you love Anthony Higgs (and you should), Metroid now has every major character that can feasibly work.

No one else stands out other than these four.

:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

DK and Kirby have standouts left like Dixie and Bandna Dee.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
literally what’s the point of getting Kraid in if you’re gonna use mini Kraid. That’s would be like making Godzilla super tiny in a fighting game. Yes I know Kraig was originally small, but he’s far more well-known as a giant and zero mission even retconned his size. Yes I know too big, but being big is Kraid’s entire point. With Ridley it’s debatable, but with Kraig it’s practically undeniable
Good ****ing god not again

D

Deleted member

literally what’s the point of getting Kraid in if you’re gonna use mini Kraid. That’s would be like making Godzilla super tiny in a fighting game. Yes I know Kraid was originally small, but he’s far more well-known as a giant and zero mission even retconned his size. Yes I know too big, but being big is Kraid’s entire point. With Ridley it’s debatable, but with Kraig it’s practically undeniable
990c31d5-10a3-4fa5-8ac3-d17501d471cf.jpg

For real, unless you love Anthony Higgs (and you should), Metroid now has every major character that can feasibly work.

This is Cranky Kong erasure and I'll not stand for it

Bionichute

Smash Champion
okay for one kraid is in the game already via brinstar depths

two was this the place with the guy who thought that smash ridley wasn't the real ridley but a fake kraid style fake ridley or was that on gamefaqs

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Yeah, but give Dark Samus her moves though
You've got like, Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3.
If goddamn Isabelle can do her own stuff, I'd think Darkmus should be able to do something.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My thing-I-wish-for-from-the-Game-Awards-even-though-it-won't-happen-shutup-let-me-dream is more (and better) DLC for Fire Emblem Warriors.

And I will quote this post if we actually get it.

D

Deleted member

Just want to let you know that if Kraid is too big ever becomes a meme, I want you paying 50% royalties to me on all the shirts and mugs you make of it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, but give Dark Samus her moves though
You've got like, Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3.
If goddamn Isabelle can do her own stuff, I'd think Darkmus should be able to do something.
:ultdarksamus: probably wasn't going to get in without being an echo, though. It's sadly the same for my :ultdaisy:.

Like, yes, they shouldn't be echoes, but beggars can't be choosers. Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei makes a good point.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Only one I'd add left is Sylux. Both aside from that, Metroid is covered pretty damn good. DK needs Dixie, Kirby needs Bandana Waddle Dee, and Zelda needs Skull Kid.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Just want to let you know that if Kraid is too big ever becomes a meme, I want you paying 50% royalties to me on all the shirts and mugs you make of it.
lets do the inverse and complain that kraid in brinstar depths isn't big enough #KraidTooSmall

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultdarksamus: probably wasn't going to get in without being an echo, though. It's sadly the same for my :ultdaisy:.

Like, yes, they shouldn't be echoes, but beggars can't be choosers. Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei makes a good point.
Yeah but do it though.

Eventually.

Like, at some point before I die.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Yeah. Only one I'd add left is Sylux. Both aside from that, Metroid is covered pretty damn good. DK needs Dixie, Kirby needs Bandana Waddle Dee, and Zelda needs Skull Kid.
Sylux could join that if he’s the main antagonist of MP4.

Nk he’d be great but he’s a secondary antagonist in one game and 2 ending cutscene cameos in 2 other games

D

Deleted member

Sylux could join that if he’s the main antagonist of MP4.

Nk he’d be great but he’s a secondary antagonist in one game and 2 ending cutscene cameos in 2 other games
Yeah, if he is MP4's main bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom