• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

What interesting is that the Rayman leak got debunked in 24 hours, while the Palutena leak took almost a year for our very own Pik (Project M modeller) to announce he made it.
No one listened to me on that one.
Not that it mattered in the end when Palutena ended up being revealed later. :V

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No one listened to me on that one.
Not that it mattered in the end when Palutena ended up being revealed later. :V
To be honest I think the Palutena leak went on for so long because of so much work and the very fact she was considered ''obvious."

Much like this actually. You have a lot of work and two characters that seem obvious. This one it kind of also benefits from no gameplay footage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As soon as I saw the Decidueye icon, I honestly thought it was going to blow over immediately but when FlareHabenero put up a counter to that, I decided to upload the video to see if anything happens. The video in question has over 850 views, the largest I've gotten in my well, unused channel. I know that there's discussions on Smashboards, NeoGAF, and GameFAQs going on right now but I'm curious to see how long this debate actually lasts. If there's a hint towards this being real, we'll find out soon.

Right now, I see this as our equivalent of the Palutena or Rayman leak.
If I was the leaker I'd hope it'd at least get picked up by some of those channels where people will scream about anything, no matter how incredulous. I mean that thing had to be a lot of work.

The Rayman leak got an official response from Ubisoft. Even BitBlock had Gamexplain and the like cover his leak.

I mean there's always time for that to happen, but this seems to have been a muted response.

I think you guys are forgetting there's a USB slot in the back of the switch dock, and you only need one usb for the adapter to work
Huh I never knew you only needed one. Why are there two?

What interesting is that the Rayman leak got debunked in 24 hours, while the Palutena leak took almost a year for our very own Pik (Project M modeller) to announce he made it.
The Rayman leak got debunked because Omni confessed. If he hadn't, without official word from the parties involved, it probably would've taken months.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just to put things in perspective, we have been discussing this leak nonstop for a full 12 pages.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If I was the leaker I'd hope it'd at least get picked up by some of those channels where people will scream about anything, no matter how incredulous. I mean that thing had to be a lot of work.

The Rayman leak got an official response from Ubisoft. Even BitBlock had Gamexplain and the like cover his leak.

I mean there's always time for that to happen, but this seems to have been a muted response.

The Rayman leak got debunked because Omni confessed. If he hadn't, without official word from the parties involved, it probably would've taken months.
Second usb just powers the rumble, as far as I remember.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There's another USB slot inside of the dock. Since the GameCube Adapter only needs one USB, it could easily be plugged into that.
I think you guys are forgetting there's a USB slot in the back of the switch dock, and you only need one usb for the adapter to work
I mean, fair enough, but no wire seems to indicate it going anywhere near the dock.

It could just be a dev thing but I dunno.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

If I'm correct, the other cable is for rumble. You only need to plug in the black USB cord to get the adapter to work, but if you don't plug in the white one, you won't get rumble.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From what I understand, fake leaks taking a long time to be debunked are the exception, not the rule. Usually if a leak is still alive after a few days and cough cough not Ridley cough cough then it's real. I suspect we'll find out more about the leak's validity by Monday. At least I hope so because I don't want this thread to be flooded with debates regarding this leak's validity for months on end.

That said, this is an important conversation to have, at leat as important as speculation can be. Although Decidueye and Spring Man are some of the most expected newcomers this side of Rex and Pyra, Spring Man brings important implications for what kind of roster this game is gearing towards if Sakurai isn't waiting for the IP to "prove" itself. I'd like to remind people that Spring Man would have to be decided for the base roster around a year before Arms released. If that happens, that reflects a possibly larger emphasis on promotions than last game seeing as he would not be getting in on his own merits but that of having enough confidence in the franchise's future.

It's so weird. It's kind of like the two Ridley leaks from ResetERA and the DasVergeben that we saw. These are the type of leaks that should be blowing up everywhere. Forum wars with both sides dishing out emotionally charged arguments, game "journalists" writing shoddy, rushed rumors pieces with clickbait titles in order to maximize views, discussion videos, and of course discussion videos debating its validity. Of course people are burnt out by Ridley's disconfirmation and Sakurai's quote explaining why he can't visualize him but even the most expected characters outside the Inklings should have garnered lots of attention by now.

It doesn't look like we'll see it get much bigger unless someone like Etika decides to get his fifteen minutes of fame or if sometime actually does happen soon. I'll admit, it would be hilarious if we heard about Junichi Masuda and Yabuki complaining to Sakurai about why he wasn't informed of Spring Man's addition only to find that it was a fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be honest I think the Palutena leak went on for so long because of so much work and the very fact she was considered ''obvious."

Much like this actually. You have a lot of work and two characters that seem obvious. This one it kind of also benefits from no gameplay footage.
There's a short gif depicting gameplay, but it's not any more convincing than a screenshot. Spring Man's idle animation is terrible and Decidueye's idle animation is just him looking around breifly like Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie.

But, yeah. Notice how the guy has a controller in his hand, but he doesn't make the characters fight or even move during the gif.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Spring Man and Pokken's Decidueye are both already ripped and easily accessible.
Both models in the leaks have considerable differences from the direct rips though and are clearly "smashified." And to date no one has successfully imported Spring Man into Smash Wii U. Not saying this isn't what was done here as its the likely explanation if its fake. I mean if this is fake, then this person needs to do hardcore character mods for Smash Wii U as good mods are still pretty rare at the moment.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so we're at the point that this is still up in the air if this is fake or not? it looks impressive so far. not so sure about mario and the ice climbers though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Second usb just powers the rumble, as far as I remember.
If I'm correct, the other cable is for rumble. You only need to plug in the black USB cord to get the adapter to work, but if you don't plug in the white one, you won't get rumble.
Oh! Well fantastic, didn't think I'd be able to use both my adaptors with the Switch. :)

It's so weird. It's kind of like the two Ridley leaks from ResetERA and the DasVergeben that we saw. These are the type of leaks that should be blowing up everywhere. Forum wars with both sides dishing out emotionally charged arguments, game "journalists" writing shoddy, rushed rumors pieces with clickbait titles in order to maximize views, discussion videos, and of course discussion videos debating its validity. Of course people are burnt out by Ridley's disconfirmation and Sakurai's quote explaining why he can't visualize him but even the most expected characters outside the Inklings should have garnered lots of attention by now.

It doesn't look like we'll see it get much bigger unless someone like Etika decides to get his fifteen minutes of fame or if sometime actually does happen soon. I'll admit, it would be hilarious if we heard about Junichi Masuda and Yabuki complaining to Sakurai about why he wasn't informed of Spring Man's addition only to find that it was a fake.
Yeah, I can only speak to here, GameFAQs (because I went on there to question memoryman), and resetera, but when it came to the Ridley leaks, here they were discussed, GameFAQs they were derided, and resetera they were all but ignored. And I feel like the only discussion that did happen on resetera was because the leak stemmed from resetera members, it was still pretty curt.

Seems like they'd almost rather just continue their baseless speculation.

I bet if Wario was leaked in this fashion in Brawl people would have thought it was fake, because his animations are too choppy.
I get what you're saying, but if any character had leaked with video during the Brawl era, it would've been taken basically as gospel.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Both models in the leaks have considerable differences from the direct rips though and are clearly "smashified." And to date no one has successfully imported Spring Man into Smash Wii U. Not saying this isn't what was done here as its the likely explanation if its fake. I mean if this is fake, then this person needs to do hardcore character mods for Smash Wii U as good mods are still pretty rare at the moment.
Of course, I was just saying. I could take an existing model and in half a day tweak it to the point where it would pass scrutiny. Without the ripped models, it'd take a few days a piece, at minimum, to do the same job.

I wanted to make my grand return to Smash Wii U modding once I was done with school, but then Smash 5 got announced, so eh.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The guy who made the old fake Smash Switch leak with Smash Run and Break the Targets also states this is fake.

Not that it means much, but the guy also has his experience in making fakes.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pakky

Smash Hero
As for Spring Man's high jumps, well, he's Spring Man. It sorta makes sense.
Springman isn't known for jumping though.

That's Ribbon Girl.

Also

- He doesn't charge his gloves

- He doesn't have the little air dodge he does in the games

- Why not put his damage to a high percent to show off the secondary rage (is like :4lucario:) mechanic he'll most likely have here as he does in ARMS.

- Where's his bounce parry?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I can only speak to here, GameFAQs (because I went on there to question memoryman), and resetera, but when it came to the Ridley leaks, here they were discussed, GameFAQs they were derided, and resetera they were all but ignored. And I feel like the only discussion that did happen on resetera was because the leak stemmed from resetera members, it was still pretty curt.

Seems like they'd almost rather just continue their baseless speculation.
I’ve been on ResetERA and I’ve actually seen quite a few rosters in the prediction contest thread that predict Ridley, most of which piled in after the jonnen Ridley rumor. I’m not sure if there were much discussions regarding the Ridley rumor but seeing as jonnen is a credible insider (in fact a moderator of that site), it probably prevented it from people automatically discrediting it.

Another thing to note is that people are simply tired of talking about Ridley, supporters and detractors both. Nothing that we say about him matters and it’s all reliant on if Sakurai thinks he will work. Even if one of the Ridley leaks are true, unlike the Spring Man/Decidueye leak, there’s no further discussion to have anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Springman isn't known for jumping though.

That's Ribbon Girl.
Not being known for jumping isn't a problem, especially when :4mario::4luigi::4yoshi: are the only characters on the roster who are known for jumping. :4falco:has the highest jumps in Sm4sh, likely because he's a bird...yet he can't fly without a vehicle.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not being known for jumping isn't a problem, especially when :4mario::4luigi::4yoshi: are the only characters on the roster who are known for jumping. :4falco:has the highest jumps in Sm4sh, likely because he's a bird...yet he can't fly without a vehicle.

:4falco: Is also known for nothing else but flying an aircraft. His Smash appearance is a complete fabrication.

Springman is from a fighting game and has set abilities, jumping though possible is not his main draw.

So having a high jump cuz springs is a little unfaithful especially when his female counterpart has that ability as one of her main abilities.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like the leaker kind of screwed himself by posting the pictures, they seem more fake than the video. Unless the Ice Climbers/Mario pics are meant to be a red herring, but if that's the case where did he get access to those pics? I doubt someone working for Nintendo would put out a real leak, and also go out of their way to create their own fake leak.

But how the **** did he make the video? It doesn't seem to be a mod.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
:4falco: Is also known for nothing else but flying an aircraft. His Smash appearance is a complete fabrication.

Springman is from a fighting game and has set abilities, jumping though possible is not his main draw.

So having a high jump cuz springs is a little unfaithful especially when his female counterpart has that ability as one of her main abilities.
I feel like those types of characters aren't being considered by Sakurai anymore. Back when Smash was fresh I bet his main priority was getting popular Nintendo characters and characters he loved in the game, regardless of how they'd play. Now that we have most of the all-stars, I think Sakurai wants to prioritize picking characters who could represent their series well and bring something new to the table.

D

Deleted member

Multiple people say the Ice Climbers are ripped right from Brawl.

....am I the only one that notices the differences between the Brawl models and the ones in the "leak"?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Something that baffles me is that the Spring Man/Decidueye video had such incredible attention to detail, yet the Mario/IC's one seems to largely have the opposite. The Mario model does look like it was ripped straight from Odyssey, and the Ice Climber's model is near identical to their Brawl model. I don't understand how the leaker could pay so much attention to one, but then make the other one seem like lazy model imports.

EDIT: I post this in the middle of two comments about the Brawl IC's lol. I haven't looked closely at them myself, but I do think the lack of extra fur around the hoods is odd, considering their Smash 4 trophy had it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I feel like those types of characters aren't being considered by Sakurai anymore. Back when Smash was fresh I bet his main priority was getting popular Nintendo characters and characters he loved in the game, regardless of how they'd play. Now that we have most of the all-stars, I think Sakurai wants to prioritize picking characters who could represent their series well and bring something new to the table.
Springman would do all of those things.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The Ice Climbers definitely aren't the Brawl model.
Yeah they definitely aren't. The Brawl models had details like the fabrics of their coats, and those kinds of realistic details aren't on the Smash 4 models. They're palettes are also a lot more dependent of primary colors, but that's more of an easier fix.

I'm still on the side of "this leak is fake", but these are different models if you ask me.
Springman would do all of those things.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
No I agree with your assessment for the most part, I was just going on a tangent about the Falco thing. Spring man definitely brings a lot to the table.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The guy who made the old fake Smash Switch leak with Smash Run and Break the Targets also states this is fake.

Not that it means much, but the guy also has his experience in making fakes.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
First Omni, then Joshy.

I wonder what other notable Smash "leaker" will come out and debunk this.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wouldn't be funny if this was real though and everyone gets egg on their face.

But, yeah I think its fake.

No I agree with your assessment for the most part, I was just going on a tangent about the Falco thing. Spring man definitely brings a lot to the table.
Oh alright, my bad for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Multiple people say the Ice Climbers are ripped right from Brawl.

....am I the only one that notices the differences between the Brawl models and the ones in the "leak"?
They're certainly higher resolution, at the very least.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So I may have just made a discovery about the Mario picture.

On the Forward Air animation in Smash 4, Mario's index finger does not go up seperately from the rest of his hand. Pics for reference:
mario.png

mariooo.png
The animation here is different

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Has it been mentioned yet how unusually small the Ice Climbers are in the standalone screenshot?

Because to go from being roughly the same size as Mario to being about 2/3 his size is...questionable.

Just throwing more fuel onto the "probably a hoax" fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom