• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The stage is a recreation of the actual Arms stage as shown

But there are a bunch of differences. I'll repost incase you missed:

Heres a zoomed in image to show the stairwell doesnt wrap under the stage like it does in the left. Also notice the crowds sections have dividers in them in the image to the right, while the one in Smash is not divided this way. Also the sprites in the crowd are in different locations

I think its safe to say its not a modded version of the Little Mac stage
I know that.
It is easily copied from the ARMS game original stage, I can tell. I just think they took the parts, and edited in the Omega Punchout stage. They did add some stuff to the stage as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Another weird but interesting note are the pupils.

Notice how the Spring Man from the leak on the right has smaller pupils and iris. Like I mean I feel I've proven beyond a doubt that this wasn't just a copy and paste rip and at least some effort as been placed to create from the ground up or at least heavily modify ripped models. Its just something that seems random to change unless it was going for something. While not as noticeable, it appears Mario has slightly smaller pupils compared to Odyssey.

D

Deleted member

S Senselessbreak
What I am saying is that there are some ARMS stage things directed in there, I just think the base was a Punch Out Stage. They added a bunch of different stuff that made the stage look different. But the square box, the fans out there, etc. make me think other-wise.

Also look at the pause menu. That leak is Smash 4 modded.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The problem for people like me isn't that he's not his own character, but that he's inspired by an enemy and retains the design of one. He's an actual character, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a Waddle Dee, just with a spear and a Bandanna.
That's racist.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There are 4 mods watching this thread, and I feel intimidated.

Another weird but interesting note are the pupils.

Notice how the Spring Man from the leak on the right has smaller pupils and iris. Like I mean I feel I've proven beyond a doubt that this wasn't just a copy and paste rip and at least some effort as been placed to create from the ground up or at least heavily modify ripped models. Its just something that seems random to change unless it was going for something. While not as noticeable, it appears Mario has slightly smaller pupils compared to Odyssey.
So many little details that support this.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Another wise decision by the leaker if this is false was to don't bring a veteran to the video. Having a veteran would make us capable of understanding better the graphic style comparing with other games.It's harder to make a good different animated version of something we see everyday like Mario or Pikachu.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Another wise decision by the leaker if this is false was to don't bring a veteran to the video. Having a veteran would make us capable of understanding better the graphic style comparing with other games.It's harder to make a good different animated version of something we see everyday like Mario or Pikachu.
I mean if he's responsible for the Mario and Ice Climbers images as well. There's your veterans right there.

And that's where people seem to have hang ups a lot. Because those images do come across weird for a number of reasons.

The video has it's flaws as well, but all together this just adds into the most captivating Smash leak in quite some time.

D

Deleted member

Except its not from Pokken though

From left to right: Leak, Pokken, Smash Wii U mod, Sun Moon.

The X shaped crest on the leak wraps much further than the one from Pokken, and even touches the spots on his wings. In fact the spots on the wings are placed differently. The green feathers on the Pokken model are much more pointy, and more rounded on the leak Decidueye. And while its hard to see, the face in the icon on the left is different than from Pokken, mainly the eyes. Also the color pallet matches sun and moon more, and is more smooth textures instead of ruffles in the feathers.
I am not saying Decidueye is from Pokken.
I am saying that the icon looks like it is from Pokken.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mario having Cappy just throws me off completely.

If this is real? Did Cappy get added to Mario after the Inklings trailer was made?

If you're going to say ''Look Link has changes!"

Why not Mario as well?

Also unless he has some sort of new ability that lets him switch between Cappy and his normal hat. It's a little odd that he'd wear Cappy at all times and lose the very iconic M hat.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There are 4 mods watching this thread, and I feel intimidated.
You're intimidated by mods, but not by my current avatar? Welp.

I could see them reusing the icon itself. Also, didn't Bandai-Namco make Pokken anyway? It'd be somewhat easy to reuse the icon since they're on good terms with Sakurai.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's not, though. This is his Pokken portrait. the most immediately recognizable difference, at least for me, is the orange X on his chest is much lower in the leak render. Also, in the Smash render, you can see some brown behind his head, as if his wings are pushed up behind him in a completely different pose, maybe drawing an arrow in an action pose of some kind. Not to mention the different eye squint, though that would be fairly easy to edit itself.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

If this is real? Did Cappy get added to Mario after the Inklings trailer was made?

Why not Mario as well?

Also unless he has some sort of new ability that lets him switch between Cappy and his normal hat. It's a little odd that he'd wear Cappy at all times and lose the very iconic M hat.
It literally makes no sense for Mario to always have cappy, when this game was being planned Odyssey wasn't even announced. Maybe they could add one move later in development but it wouldn't be a main mechanic or anything. That mario model honeslty looks kinda bad, it screams modded lol

kylexv

Smash Master
It's not, though. This is his Pokken portrait. the most immediately recognizable difference, at least for me, is the orange X on his chest is much lower in the leak render. Also, in the Smash render, you can see some brown behind his head, as if his wings are pushed up behind him in a completely different pose, maybe drawing an arrow in an action pose of some kind. Not to mention the different eye squint, though that would be fairly easy to edit itself.
The main difference I see is that, in the "Leak", Decidueye looks more angry (his eyes are squinted). He also seems to be facing an ever so slightly different direction and his chest-feather crest is at a different angle.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Why not Mario as well?

To be faiiiir, the top of Mario's hat was covered in shadows. We don't see the traditional "M" on it.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To be faiiiir, the top of Mario's hat was covered in shadows. We don't see the traditional "M" on it.
But I'd feel like we'd see the two little bumps of Cappy's eyes on the top of his head if he had Cappy.

kylexv

Smash Master
To add on to this:

You can still see the M part of the hat in Mario Odyssey.

EDIT: To fair, the leak doesn't give that good of an angle of the emblem...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just rewatched that trailer and I can't tell the if the bump on his head we do see is raised or not. I feel like it would be flat if it was just the M no? But then I also feel like if he had Cappy, we would have seen both eyes so we could go ''Oh Odyssey Mario!" like we did with Link and Breath of the Wild.

Edit: Also the bump in the trailer only has white. Cappy has the black circles around his eyes. The bump in the trailer has no such thing. So it leans more towards the normal M hat.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
If this is real...

I hope they get that lady back to soulfully sing ''Oh" and ''Nah" over and over again with so much soul that James Brown raises from the dead.

Give me a remix of the main Arms theme Sakurai. You know you want to.
ARMS main theme is so good. I'd love to get that lady back for a remix here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If fake, which I believe, I bet the leaker wishes this made a bigger splash. They must've put in a huge amount of work, but we're the only ones going on about it.

Not to mention, the general reaction is mostly: cool, but fake. :laugh:

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I just rewatched that trailer and I can't tell the if the bump on his head we do see is raised or not. I feel like it would be flat if it was just the M no? But then I also feel like if he had Cappy, we would have seen both eyes so we could go ''Oh Odyssey Mario!" like we did with Link and Breath of the Wild.
Remember tho that even in odyssey, cappy's eyes aren't visible at all times, only when he's in use. What reason would he have to always be out in smash?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So uh, something else I noticed...

He's clearly using a GameCube controller, obviously, but...

Where the hell is it even plugged in? This side of the dock has the USB slots...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Remember tho that even in odyssey, cappy's eyes aren't visible at all times, only when he's in use. What reason would he have to always be out in smash?
Not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that for the sake of showing off that he now has Cappy. It'd make sense for him to at least in that trailer to be wearing Cappy very clearly, like you can very clearly tell that's BoTW Link.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So uh, something else I noticed...

He's clearly using a GameCube controller, obviously, but...

Where the hell is it even plugged in? This side of the dock has the USB slots...
I mean...

If he put in all this work to make a fake. Scrutinizing every little detail. This would be the worst thing to unravel it all.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there with modding experiencing that can tell us how long something like this would take to mod?

I still don't really know what to think about all this. I'm leaning towards fake, but still...

Member of Sakurai's team: Hey. Where'd the boss go? I haven't seen him in a few hours.
Other member: -shrugs-

Sakurai:

"They want leaks huh? Heh heh... I'll give them leaks..."
*Sakurai punches a hole in a gas pipe and holds up the Binding Blade*
"I'LL GIVE THEM MOTHER******* LEAKS! AHAHAHHAHHAHHAA!"
*Sakurai bolts out of the exploding house and proceeds to casually drive home to see what nice new menu design his wife came up with*

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Why not Mario as well?

Cappy's eyes are only visible like 5% of the time in Odyssey. So maybe they caught him in an animation with him visible?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Maybe Mario threw Cappy, (as his new side special) and he made the hat stay out in the air for a few seconds (like how you can do in Odyssey), and while the hat was out Mario used his foward air, and as soon as he used his foward air the hat immediately returned to his head and the eyes stayed on his hat for just a brief moment before disappearing, and that's when the leaker took the picture?...

Hey, I'm just trying to make sense of it, I am still not convinced this is real.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
There's another USB slot inside of the dock. Since the GameCube Adapter only needs one USB, it could easily be plugged into that.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there with modding experiencing that can tell us how long something like this would take to mod?
One person? Probably at least a solid work week. Even starting with models ripped from Arms and Pokken, all the editing, surfacing, lighting, animating, it's a lot more work than it looks like. I'm not even sure I've seen anybody move the pause screen UI around before. I'd almost be more inclined to say it's pre-rendered footage instead of a Smash 4 mod. That's actually the easier of two options, in my opinion.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

I still don't really know what to think about all this. I'm leaning towards fake, but still...
I mean the Smash Wii U modding community has been active since early 2016, and characters like Wolf are JUST NOW getting proper imported animations from Brawl. I mean if it takes that long to import and polish a clone, imagine how long it would take to rip skins from switch games, import it into a wii u game, modify it, add custom animations, import a stage, heavily modify the dimensions and change bits of it up, add a custom logo, stock icon, portrait, slightly modify the font from Smash 4, rearrange the GUI. Etc.

This was not a single day project, or a single week project, or even month.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Didn't some people say that it's not even possible to rip models from Switch games yet? Or, at the very least, extremely difficult? Plus, people have proven in this thread that the models seem to be brand new. So that means to add onto the time it takes to animate stuff and whatnot, they also had to take time to make the two models.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
In regards to Cappy, we've all basically made the comment at one point or another that the animations are likely not finished. Maybe Cappy is technically part of Mario's model, but his appear/disappear animations just haven't been activated yet, thus causing him to stick out all the time in this seemingly early build.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think you guys are forgetting there's a USB slot in the back of the switch dock, and you only need one usb for the adapter to work

D

Deleted member

If fake, which I believe, I bet the leaker wishes this made a bigger splash. They must've put in a huge amount of work, but we're the only ones going on about it.

Not to mention, the general reaction is mostly: cool, but fake. :laugh:
As soon as I saw the Decidueye icon, I honestly thought it was going to blow over immediately but when FlareHabenero put up a counter to that, I decided to upload the video to see if anything happens. The video in question has over 850 views, the largest I've gotten in my well, unused channel. I know that there's discussions on Smashboards, NeoGAF, and GameFAQs going on right now but I'm curious to see how long this debate actually lasts. If there's a hint towards this being real, we'll find out soon.

Right now, I see this as our equivalent of the Palutena or Rayman leak.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
As soon as I saw the Decidueye icon, I honestly thought it was going to blow over immediately but when FlareHabenero put up a counter to that, I decided to upload the video to see if anything happens. The video in question has over 850 views, the largest I've gotten in my well, unused channel. I know that there's discussions on Smashboards, NeoGAF, and GameFAQs going on right now but I'm curious to see how long this debate actually lasts. If there's a hint towards this being real, we'll find out soon.

Right now, I see this as our equivalent of the Palutena or Rayman leak.
What interesting is that the Rayman leak got debunked in 24 hours, while the Palutena leak took almost a year for our very own Pik (Project M modeller) to announce he made it.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Oh baby, the first somewhat noteworthy leak of smashwitch. I'm leaning towards fake, but I do have to admit the effort is definitely commendable.

And hey, if it turns out to be real I got my owl boi.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Didn't some people say that it's not even possible to rip models from Switch games yet? Or, at the very least, extremely difficult? Plus, people have proven in this thread that the models seem to be brand new. So that means to add onto the time it takes to animate stuff and whatnot, they also had to take time to make the two models.
Spring Man and Pokken's Decidueye are both already ripped and easily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom