• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a question, for the Nitendo DLC chracters, do you expect the stage they come with to always be linked with them or will they mix and match?

For instance, Bandanna Waddle Dee as a character but an Ultra Space stage for Pokemon?

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Here's a question, for the Nitendo DLC chracters, do you expect the stage they come with to always be linked with them or will they mix and match?

For instance, Bandanna Waddle Dee as a character but an Ultra Space stage for Pokemon?
The former.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So either this new quote from a Nintendo guy means:

1. "You'll be surprised: a lot of fan-favorites!"

or

2. "We know most of the community is wishing for X character, but here's Y character who most of y'all don't care about, but we think you will because modern-day games!"

(although Minecraft I'd love, but B-K should be first imo but tbh I wouldn't complain, just disappointed in no B-K at all)

I think they'll be linked, i.e. Herobrine with a stage based on the Nether and the Void.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here's my definitive Fighter Pass prediction
1. SE Character (Most likely either Sepiroth or a DQ Character)
2. Microsoft Character (Either Steve or Banjo)
3. Promotional 1st Party Character (Either Edelgard, Sylux, Poochy or a Daemon X Machina character)
4. Bamco Character (Either Heihachi or Lloyd)
5. Sega Character (Most likely from Atlus, could be either Jack Frost or Joker, Arle is also a possibilty)

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea who the DLC will be, but I can almost guarantee there will be at least one big fan requested one (Geno or Banjo or something), one "you never knew you wanted this/didn't think this could happen" type character, and one that nobody knows/wants/cares about.

I'm willing to bet all my V-Bucks on this.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know if this one's been posted, but this is a true masterpiece depicting the Grinch hoax.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You know what I think? I think after Ultimate, Smash should go on a 9 year break so Nintendo can develop more content for the IPs in Smash (Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kriby, and Xenoblade). The more the IPs get developed, the more content the next Smash game has to choose from in terms of characters, stages, assist trophies, and items.
There are no guarantees Nintendo will use any IPs within the 7/9ths of the Waiting Period, let-alone the first 4/9ths. They'll just spitball whatever idea works and stick with the big sellers, while other new IPs hit Golden Sun status and their characters become the new Isaacs/Ashleys/Waluigis/Lyns/etc.

There's also a good chance that characters like Rex, Spring Man, and even our Fire Emblem reps throughout the years as well as our 8th, 9th, 10th, and even 11th gen Pokemon reps miss out on this Smash, just because they would all be "irrelevant" by then. It's the Catch-22 of representation in Smash.

I don't know if this one's been posted, but this is a true masterpiece depicting the Grinch hoax.

KOS-MOS and Skull Kid were never part of the leak though :L

Last edited:

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice

I definitely expect them to be linked. I took it to mean each fighter is getting a little pack to represent their franchise. I also think this means more likelihood of new 3rd party characters, cuz it makes a lot of sense for their inclusion to come with a stage and music representing their franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are my hopes and dreams for the future of gaming:
  • Ultimate DLC to have 5 of these characters: Dante, Sora, Erdrick, Doomguy, Flynn, Heihachi, Ryu Hayabusa, Kazuma Kiryu, KOS MOS, and a Dark Souls character
  • Sylux is the big bad in Metroid Prime 4
  • A new Castlevania game that's actually good
  • Link's Awakening remake
  • Shin Megami Tensei V News
  • Fire Emblem actually becomes good
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 with good writing
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • A new Ninja Gaiden game
  • Contra gets revived
  • Wolfienstien 3
  • Persona vs Shin Megami Tensei
  • Xenoblade Warriors
  • Devil May Cry and Bayonetta crossover
  • Fallout picks itself up and dusts itself off
There are no guarantees Nintendo will use any IPs within the 7/9ths of the Waiting Period, let-alone the first 4/9ths. They'll just spitball whatever idea works and stick with the big sellers, while other new IPs hit Golden Sun status and their characters become the new Isaacs/Ashleys/Waluigis/Lyns/etc.

There's also a good chance that characters like Rex, Spring Man, and even our Fire Emblem reps throughout the years as well as our 8th, 9th, 10th, and even 11th gen Pokemon reps miss out on this Smash, just because they would all be "irrelevant" by then. It's the Catch-22 of representation in Smash.

KOS-MOS and Skull Kid were never part of the leak though :L
Well, when you put it that way, 9 year break sounds like a bad idea lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Here's my definitive Fighter Pass prediction
1. SE Character (Most likely either Sepiroth or a DQ Character)
2. Microsoft Character (Either Steve or Banjo)
3. Promotional 1st Party Character (Either Edelgard, Sylux, Poochy or a Daemon X Machina character)
4. Bamco Character (Either Heihachi or Lloyd)
5. Sega Character (Most likely from Atlus, could be either Jack Frost or Joker, Arle is also a possibilty)
Yeah, I'm good with this

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's going to be harder to hit Golden Sun status nowadays given the bar for entry is pretty much at the point where if you're successful and recent, you'll probably get in. Back with GS the competition was a lot stiffer. To hit GS status in that paradigm you'd probably need the game to release the year after Smash and get no sequel in the following eight years. Which seems unlikely if it's successful enough to get in Smash.

And as far as some rotating casts getting timed out by newer entries, sure, but that's gonna happen anyway. Ultimate is the anomaly here, not the norm. Usually you get an entire gen of Pokemon in the interim that misses the boat because of timing.

People thought they saw them, but they were never intentionally added.

D

Deleted member

I like how that video acts like the fanbase has ever been at peace with each other. lol. Biggest joke in the video.
What video are referring to?
EDIT: Nevermind. Saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I know logistically it's complicated, but I can really picture Sora being in Smash, just without a ton of Disney representation, maybe just Donald and Goofy in the final smash or something, and the stage would be Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, or Twilight Town. But he just makes sense for me as a character to be in Smash, I can kind of picture it. Although, for a SE rep (which I kind of consider Sora to be), I'd prefer Geno or a DQ character, but Sora would still be really cool.

Also, speaking of Sora, and sorry if this has already been discussed recently, but what do you guys think of him or another character being announced at the Game Awards? Do we still think that might happen?

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know logistically it's complicated, but I can really picture Sora being in Smash, just without a ton of Disney representation, maybe just Donald and Goofy in the final smash or something, and the stage would be Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, or Twilight Town. But he just makes sense for me as a character to be in Smash, I can kind of picture it. Although, for a SE rep (which I kind of consider Sora to be), I'd prefer Geno or a DQ character, but Sora would still be really cool.

Also, speaking of Sora, and sorry if this has already been discussed recently, but what do you guys think of him or another character being announced at the Game Awards? Do we still think that might happen?
Donald and Goofy won’t appear at all cause they’re not video game characters.

D

Deleted member

I know logistically it's complicated, but I can really see Sora being in Smash, just without a ton of Disney representation, maybe just Donald and Goofy in the final smash or something, and the stage would be Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, or Twilight Town . But he just makes sense for me as a character to be in Smash, I can kind of picture it. I mean, for a SE rep (which I kind of consider Sora to be), I'd prefer Geno or a DQ character, but Sora would still be really cool.

A character at TGA could very well happen. And Sora is certainly iconic enough to be a big reveal, fitting for a big event.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So either this new quote from a Nintendo guy means:

1. "You'll be surprised: a lot of fan-favorites!"

or

2. "We know most of the community is wishing for X character, but here's Y character who most of y'all don't care about, but we think you will because modern-day games!"

(although Minecraft I'd love, but B-K should be first imo but tbh I wouldn't complain, just disappointed in no B-K at all)

I think they'll be linked, i.e. Herobrine with a stage based on the Nether and the Void.
Which quote? Sorry, I miss everything.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I like how that video acts like the fanbase has ever been at peace with each other. lol. Biggest joke in the video.
How can you agree with that statement if smash fandom doesn't stop tear its ass out when discussing the fake leaks that are 100% believable and then they got crushed after seeing reveal without characters they wanted in them.

God, people need to learn how to be skeptical of the fake leaks that are easy to believe even if there's such evidence that makes it very "real" until they got bitten in the ass.

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
Donald and Goofy won’t appear at all cause they’re not video game characters.
You're probably right, but I could see them as an exception if Sora were to get in just due to their importance in the KH games. If they were to appear I think it'd be like the party members appearing in Ness' and Lucas' final smash type of thing, though I agree, I don't think it's likely they would appear.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's likely not happening. Like,
View attachment 181099

1/14,000,605 isn't good chances.
PFFFF God damnit! NEVER GIVE UP ON H O P E!

Sora was 100% discussed or at least, his name was thrown around. I'm sure of it.
If he can happens?
Sure.
Can he not happens?
Yup.

That's the issue, with everything we know about the Square-Enix Rep. They're still in the games. Because there is right now three scenario basically (thanks to the Geno threads and gods like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
>One Square characters is choosen out of 3 serious choices.
>A VERY SLIM possibilities of two Square-Enix characters maybe rised up.
>Square-Enix said "Ahahaha **** you." and they start over the discussion back to 0, which leave us with no information as who it is, who got denied etc...

I'm feeling that Something Smash related might happens at the VGA tho.
Like, it's the perfect moment to steal the show and remind everyone that your game is coming out.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo wanted someone like Geno and Square being Square was like ''Well, okay, but you gotta put in as well."

Meanwhile Nintendo stares at the camera like they're Ben Wyatt on Parks and Rec going ''That's what Cloud was suppose to be!"

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Remember when the PMDT threw a fit at people modding their mod?
Remember when the leaked build went public and the staff here tried to delete every post on the site mentioning Isaac, Lyn, and Knuckles due to their ties to the PMDT? Never forget.

...Then Icons happened lol.

Apparently, Sandbag can grabbed now, like in Melee (I'm late):

Next to useless, but eh.
Now if we could just get HomeRun Contest back. Maybe in an update.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo wanted someone like Geno and Square being Square was like ''Well, okay, but you gotta put in as well."

Meanwhile Nintendo stairs at the camera like they're Ben Wyatt on Parks and Rec going ''That's what Cloud was suppose to be!"
Nintendo : *Complain that his Trojan Horse failed*
Me the Square-Enix Fan : *Insert madman laugh*

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
How can you agree with that statement if smash fandom doesn't stop tear its *** out when discussing the fake leaks that are 100% believable and then they got crushed after seeing reveal without characters they wanted in them.

God, people need to learn how to be skeptical of the fake leaks that are easy to believe even if there's such evidence that makes it very "real" until they got bitten in the ***.
This post has delightfully confused me. lol

D

Deleted member

I just want the square rep to be out so I can buy them and unlock them on the CSS. And then I can just stare at the screen, knowing that I predicted them. It’s the only thing I need for true satisfaction in life.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's another thing to talk about:

Fatmanonice has been talking about another character (not the SE rep) that oldschool fans will appreciate but newer fans will either dislike or not know about. Here are some pertinent comments:
If he's talking about what I think he's talking, Smash fans are going to be pretty happy. There's one bit of news that's been sat on hard for months and nobody's even publically hinted at it because it's pointless; any actual hints would give it away instantly. It's one of those things that a vast majority of people gave up on a long time ago and would probably bring people back to Smashboards who left years ago just to talk about it. I might even characterize it as a tear jerker but that's probably hyperbole. It's one of those things that's off the radar but once and if it's shown a lot of people will probably be like "wow, I forgot I wanted that."
Reaching too hard here. Most people don't actively want it anymore but not in a bad way. It's like Anton Ego in Ratatouille, it's something that a lot of people stopped wanting but, in a way, not really; it's just people figured it'd never happen and moved on. It doesn't mean a lot to me personally but I think it would mean a lot to older Smash fans.
Only in a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon sense (do people still play this?). I talk about it here because you all are my comrades and I like the idea of these things reaching your eyes first. Yeah, this one in particular is kind of cruel but, if I've learned anything, it's very unlikely that DLC is going to be the blowout disappointment that people are expecting. I think people have a lot to look forward to, again, even if some of the things are things that have been off people's wishlists for years.
I'm guessing this character would be a popular pick for Brawl, Melee, or even 64 speculation. The idea that it's been off people's radars for years disconfirms the recent popular picks, and apparently people thought it would never happen so that skews it towards third parties or characters seen as unlikely compared to others. The character also apparently has a support thread from one of the speculation periods, and is unrelated to the SE rep.

Any thoughts? The only character I can personally think of would be James Bond.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Remember when the PMDT threw a fit at people modding their mod?
Remember when the leaked build went public and the staff here tried to delete every post on the site mentioning Isaac, Lyn, and Knuckles due to their ties to the PMDT? Never forget.

...Then Icons happened lol.
r/ProjectMDiedForThis sheds light on what really happened.
PM died for Icons. Any chance for Golden Sun/Advance Wars representation in any form of Smash died for Icons. And that's all the proof I need that this is indeed the worst timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom