• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I get that people like her, but I just can't. She's a bit boring to me. Besides, this is the one unpopular opinion everyone cares about for some reason.

I'll be awaiting that...
Also, I cannot tolerate this:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know what's hilarious?

When a person on YouTube who uploads Ultimate matches using a pirated copy of the game complains and makes a rant video when another person reuploaded their videos.

HMMM...

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion

When a person on YouTube who uploads Ultimate matches using a pirated copy of the game complains and makes a rant video when another person reuploaded their videos.

HMMM...
Please do explain.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
It would be hilarious if the Square rep wasn't a thing and after every DLC reveal the arguments over who it is from the list got fiercer and fiercer, until the last one is revealed and it's Edelgard from the new Fire Emblem
Wouldn't it make more sense to save Steve for last? Think about it: Fandom is in a tizzy whenever he's mentioned. Give everyone a third-party fighter that quickly becomes immensely popular in the fandom, then end it with Steve. Everyone's guards will be so low at that point that Steveposters gather and strike back at full force. Bonus points if DLC Fighter support ends there.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Im confused as to why there's a bunch of Isabelle hate here now
Ehh, can't say I blame them. She's looking to be a Tier-Induced Scrappy based on early impressions. The fishing rod for one looks incredibly busted from a practical stand-point. The fact that it's the fastest long-ranged grappling tool in the game makes it the pre-patch Corrin Counter of grappling tethers.

Not that I won't still pick her up though. She's cute and she looks like a lot of fun to play with.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Wouldn't it make more sense to save Steve for last? Think about it: Fandom is in a tizzy whenever he's mentioned. Give everyone a third-party fighter that quickly becomes immensely popular in the fandom, then end it with Steve. Everyone's guards will be so low at that point that Steveposters gather and strike back at full force. Bonus points if DLC Fighter support ends there.
Nintendo won’t care (if they’re even aware) if the Smash fan base “dislikes” Steve, he’d still be a major popular pick to the general audience. Starting WITH Steve is a better marketing choice as he’s a recognizable and iconic figure from a recognizable and iconic video game. They would want Steve to be one of the faces they market for the fighter pass. Furthermore, Smash marketing always starts big. Steve would be that big character.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Isabelle will be high among my secondaries and y'all are making me feel like this is the right choice
Can't wait to fight all of you all with Isabelle

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I'm curious what would be your top 5 DLC fighters? My top 5 is.....

Sephiroth (Square Enix)
Doom Slayer (Bethesda)
Rayman (Ubisoft)
Minecraft Avatar (Mojang)
Crash Bandicoot (Activision)

IMG_20181202_132522.jpg

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Nintendo won’t care (if they’re even aware) if the Smash fan base “dislikes” Steve, he’d still be a major popular pick to the general audience. Starting WITH Steve is a better marketing choice as he’s a recognizable and iconic figure from a recognizable and iconic video game. They would want Steve to be one of the faces they market for the fighter pass.
You know what? I know how my original comment could be taken that way. I should have phrased it better to not make Nintendo look like the "bad guys who want to troll the internet because Sakurai is a teh epik trollz". What I meant was that it would be perfectly-convenient if one of the biggest Base-Breakers in the fandom ended up being Steve, whether Nintendo knows or cares.

Isabelle will be high among my secondaries and y'all are making me feel like this is the right choice
Can't wait to fight all of you all with Isabelle
Haha, ha ha ha, j-jokes on you, Toast-for-Brains! I like Isabelle too!

A-and I suck at Smash...

1. They never said "fan-favorites" per se. A "must-have" could mean anything from, "If you try 'em, you'll like 'em! [winky face]" to "you dreamt of them being in Smash, felt like the dream was impossible, but we're telling you that dreams CAN be real!"
2. Don't blow up your expectations my guy. That is no bueno.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

HMMM...
Remember when the PMDT threw a fit at people modding their mod?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This might be where I’m at

Square rep

Steve

Poochy (it’s not thee poochy as a spirit)

Sylux

Edelgard (FE three houses rep)

And you got to understand something it’s offically a pattern the lame stuff is what happens

But this is not lame by all means in my opinion

Square still helping despite the cloud situation

Metroid (they already got it with Ridley and Dark Samus) and Yoshi finally getting love

Minecraft content since I love minecraft

And more females

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Your profile pick is too happy for the kind of angry debbie downer you are showing yourself to be.
I mean, he's still right as it's literally just PR talk, what company would go "Nah, our DLC would disappoint you"? Then again it's the same company that went "HEY GUYS THIS GAME STINKS!" only to be surprised Smash is the only reason people still know it today

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, I'd wait until the game is out and we lab things until saying something is broken. Brief snipplets of combo videos and training mode clips are of course going to make a character or move seem broken because they're a snapshot that the player thought looked cool, but whether it's practical is a different story as an actual thinking opponent may not fall for such things or it's easily adapted to. It's especially the case when only a spare few have the game in total, so there's no way of knowing how the move will operate within actual gameplay.

Isabelle's Fishing Rod may be one such example. It's may very well be a good move, but what a lot of people tend to overlook is that it does have some flaws to it such as the fact that it can't grab people out of shields. As a result if someone catches that she's fishing for them it can be defended against and punished appropriately, but since we don't see the move miss its target in the videos highlighting the character we only see the reward and thus it seems 'broken'.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, he's still right as it's literally just PR talk, what company would go "Nah, our DLC would disappoint you"? Then again it's the same company that went "HEY GUYS THIS GAME STINKS!" only to be surprised Smash is the only reason people still know it today
I just think its wrong to assume that just because Nintendo corporate is chosing the characters that we aren't getting anybody we want. I mean, look at Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, and even the existance of Metroid Prime 4 and Luigi's Mansion 3 and you know they at least have SOME kind of ear to the community. Would it not make sense that they've heard it through the grapevine who are the most popular picks among us or from Sakurai and were like, "Hey, we'll probably sell a TONNE of those characters, let's throw them a bone".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just think its wrong to assume that just because Nintendo corporate is chosing the characters that we aren't getting anybody we want. I mean, look at Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, and even the existance of Metroid Prime 4 and Luigi's Mansion 3 and you know they at least have SOME kind of ear to the community.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm actually optimistic the DLC will be cool regardless, just saying that this is just typical PR and literally means nothing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Believing in gods doesn't translate to religious though. Link, for all we know, could just be polytheistic and not worship them at all.
Doesn't he pray to the Goddess statue's to get more Heart Containers and increase his Stamina Meter in Breath of the Wild?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what I think? I think after Ultimate, Smash should go on a 9 year break so Nintendo can develop more content for the IPs in Smash (Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kriby, and Xenoblade). The more the IPs get developed, the more content the next Smash game has to choose from in terms of characters, stages, assist trophies, and items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom