• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Oh shoot. We've all been thinking it's gonna be Smash related, but it could just be Nintendo related in general, couldn't it?
Most likely, there's going to be at least a couple Nintendo things at the event. They could, for example, show a Metroid Prime 4 teaser, Animal Crossing Switch gameplay, then cap off with a Smash DLC announcement. I'd still bet on something Smash being shown, but even if there isn't it's not like there's going to be just a singular Nintendo-related announcement, that would be silly.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>Kirby
>THE PINK DEMON

This is accurate at all, knowing what the **** was Void from Kirby Star Allies and also SPOILERS if you read pause desp of Void during Ultimate Choice EX battle
Kirby scares Satan confirmed

D

Deleted member

I don’t know about you guys, but you know who would be a ‘pleasant surprise’ and ‘must have’?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Wow, this is really off topic lol. But I'll answer anyway. :p

I don't care for Mothra too much, really. My favourite Kaiju, by far, is King Ghidorah. :)
Anyway, moving on from that...
Good ****ing taste my man. King Ghidorah for life.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Hmmm if we take it by their word, it would mean the usual suspects's chances decrease somewhat. Granted...we don't know what is considered surprising to him.

If so that's good for Sylux, a Rhythm Heaven character, and whoever else deemed unlikely/obscure for first parties.
For third parties, this doesn't change anything. Any of them would be considered a surprise by default.

So eh doesn't change much.

Unless the characters are very similar to Piranha Plant, then...oh.
The only thing that becomes less likely under the logic of the statement is promo picks which get mixed reception anyway. In the meantime, we'll have a smash battle over who can participate in our smash battles.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Smash Ultimate News: Some DLC Hint

In an interview with Game Informer, Nintendo’s JC Rodrigo dropped a huge tease about the game’s five post-launch DLC fighters. In particular, he hinted that these unrevealed fighters would pleasantly surprise fans as much as the Piranha Plant reveal:

“Mr. Sakurai and his team and everyone that works on the game – we love surprises. Just like Piranha Plant, we believe the DLC is going to be a must-have. For me, as a fan… oh man, I would not miss these for the world.”​

TLDR: The 5 character reveal will be suprising and unexpected to the viewers.

Source (Its in Spanish): https://www.nintenderos.com/2018/12...Pel1ZEhB66FekRvXIR9jMvevUGAZwgHDiD17NknJIV7fE
If we actually get this I'm gonna laugh.

Ulimate DLC.png

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

In an interview with Game Informer, Nintendo’s JC Rodrigo dropped a huge tease about the game’s five post-launch DLC fighters. In particular, he hinted that these unrevealed fighters would pleasantly surprise fans as much as the Piranha Plant reveal:

“Mr. Sakurai and his team and everyone that works on the game – we love surprises. Just like Piranha Plant, we believe the DLC is going to be a must-have. For me, as a fan… oh man, I would not miss these for the world.”​

Source (Its in Spanish): https://www.nintenderos.com/2018/12...Pel1ZEhB66FekRvXIR9jMvevUGAZwgHDiD17NknJIV7fE
Idk I feel like a majority of the characters that have been discussed can be considered unexpected in a way. The fact that he's so excited about the fan reaction to the DLC is a good thing, tho. Three Houses rep deconfirmed tho lol

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh, by the way, EVERYONE here should bite the bullet and accept that we're not getting a character trailer at the Game Awards, there's no way they can make a model and moves to show off in that amount of time
I would agree, but the thing is they don’t necessarily need a working model.

As i’ve said before, they can easily do something similar to the Negan reveal for Tekken where they show the silhouette of the character and then put something like “April 2019, Buy the Fighter Pass now!”

For example, do a launch trailer for Smash Ultimate, do something short with Piranha Plant, and then show a sihouette of Sora with the Keyblade being held behind his head. Boom, you just announced the first Pass Fighter at an event where gaming fans (not just Nintendo fans) are gathered, and you drop a tease of what’s to come. I think it makes a lot of sense.

To be fair I expect Metroid Prime 4. But I could totally see a Smash announcement. With that coming out the following day, there’s no way they don’t at least talk about it.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
To be fair I expect Metroid Prime 4. But I could totally see a Smash announcement. With that coming out the following day, there’s no way they don’t at least talk about it.
Not only that, it might also not be a DLC characters, but for exemple Missing modes for the Day 1 patches for all we know!

But yeah, I don't see AAAAANY way they don't AT LEAST talk about Smash the literal day it comes out lmao

D

Deleted member

Just gonna repost my arguments for there POTENTIALLY being a gameplay trailer at TGA
This style would definitely make sense. I don’t think a gameplay reveal is out fo the question though. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sakurai also stated back in smash 4 that hey hadn’t worked on DLC prior to the game releasing, but then only half a year or so later we got Mewtwo. If sakurai’s statement about fighers taking, at minimum, 8 months of dev time to make is true then they must have worked on Mewtwo prior to the game releasing. Furthermore, if a square character is revealed at TGA, then negotiations must have started months in adavance, which would also long up with Vergeben’s leak timeframe. Around June is when I’m guessing. If this is the case, then it would make sense if they got a head-start on the character, enough to give them a gameplay trailer. Those are just my two-cents anyway.
That’s a fair point, but isn’t their evidence to suggest Corrin began work 8 months prior to their release?
Here’s the actual quote from Sakurai
“The process, however, of actually creating a character often takes well over a year, where we are constantly working on the model, the animations, the audio and the balancing. For the game balance we have a testing team playing almost every day and we make adjustments based on their results. I was working from morning to night with my responsibilities as director, so I was only able to spend Wednesday evenings and weekends on the balance.”
This seems to suggest that ignoring everything else characters still take over a year to make. Even if the game is done, I can’t imagine the time to make a character is considerably shortened. 8 months seems like a reasonable assumption. Especiallly since their won’t be as many people working on the game post-launch, which would only further enhance the time taken to develop a character. Either way, it would imply Mewtwo began creation prior to the game. You also have to consider that a character at TGA would likely be third-party, so negotiations would take place months prior to the game releasing.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I just woke up in a cold sweat from an incredibly vivid dream that Devilish Kawashima was one of the fighter pack fighters and he played exactly like an E-rated version of Omega Tiger Woods of MUGEN/Saltybet fame.

Smash has taken over my life completely. This is the second time in as many days I've had DLC dreams. If any of them prove to be real I'll apply to be a prophet.
I knew it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not only that, it might also not be a DLC characters, but for exemple Missing modes for the Day 1 patches for all we know!

But yeah, I don't see AAAAANY way they don't AT LEAST talk about Smash the literal day it comes out lmao
Another way to look at it...imagine, as a company, the leverage you have to sell the fighters pass with something at the Game Awards. It would be way better if Sakurai could be there, but if he isn’t then get Reggie out there.

The Game Awards go rather late, to the point that millions (maybe) of fans are going to be out at various stores waiting to get their games at midnight, especially in North America. They may be watching the game awards, they may not. You know that they’ll either be on their Switch or on their phones, potentially with Twitter. Some of them may not have bought the fighters pass.

What would be better to get them to spend that extra $25 while they’re at the store or waiting to go BACK to the store than showing them at least a part of what they’re paying for? With a character that would make people shart themselves (as i’ve told a friend of mine, sorry for the image), imagine Smash fans waiting in line to see, “Sora is the first Fighter Pass DLC character” or “Sephiroth is the first Fighter Pass character”.

It would cause an implosion in everyone’s minds, and i’m sure they’d see a surge in game purchases or Fighter Pass purchases, no doubt. I personally think it’s a genius idea, but I also wouldn’t see it as 100% likely.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Perhaps it will be surprising, unless someone like Vergeben or someone else leaks it all via their sources.

D

Deleted member

>Surprising and unexpected to the viewers

>Surpising and unexpected to viewers.
>He would not miss those for the world.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Perhaps it will be surprising, unless someone like Vergeben or someone else leaks it all via their sources.
They don't know jack **** about dlc. I'm sorry, but you can come at me with "B-but verge correct with everything" he was correct on base game ****, and I'm almost positive he knows nothing about dlc

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
They don't know jack **** about dlc. I'm sorry, but you can come at me with "B-but verge correct with everything" he was correct on base game ****, and I'm almost positive he knows nothing about dlc
I meant later on when the DLC is further developed, not now or this month.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben is just telling the information given by insiders close to him.

He doesn’t know about DLC until the insiders start sharing stuff about it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
>Surprising and unexpected to the viewers

>Surpising and unexpected to viewers.
>He would not miss those for the world.

I still think Banjo and Geno could qualify as unexpected and surprising. Because who actually thinks that they’re coming! But seriously, that statement was written to the genpop. Not the smash fandom specificly. So characters that we’ve been clamoring for for years who have “fallen into obscurity” would be surprised to general audiences.

Who put a bee in your undies.

D

Deleted member

I still think Banjo and Geno could qualify as unexpected and surprising. Because who actually thinks that they’re coming! But seriously, that statement was written to the genpop. Not the smash fandom specificly. So characters that we’ve been clamoring for for years who have “fallen into obscurity” would be surprised to general audiences.

Who put a bee in your undies.
True, Banjo and Geno also apply to those comments.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It would have been cool if you could set specific stages to be hazardless and not stuck with all or none.

The only stage I’d make hazardless is Wily’s Castle.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
I don't think it matters how long you've wanted or expected banjo, he would be definitely be super surprising regardless. It would be kinda like the ridley reveal but even moreso. Even those that expected it would still be blown away because it's been a dream for so long

D

Deleted member

I don't think it matters how long you've wanted or expected banjo, he would be definitely be super surprising regardless. It would be kinda like the ridley reveal but even moreso. Even those that expected it would still be blown away because it's been a dream for so long
I was going to say that a similar case happens with another character... But the thread would probably jump on me after naming it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had a dream last night that vergeben was sakurai the whole time and that it was all an elaborate marketing scheme

then I woke up and realized I'm a ****ing loser for having dreams about video games
I am sure Sakurai was making Smash games long before Vergeben leaked any...ah screw it! This post I am replying too is way too good to ruin.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

That doesn't really inspire much confidence TBH. Especially if he's calling the plant a "must-have".
He's coming
They should have went full on slasher movie with that.

And you can't tell me Goku would have that much trouble opening a door. Well unless it's the door to Dr. Gero's secret lab lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That doesn't really inspire much confidence TBH. Especially if he's calling the plant a "must-have".

They should have went full on slasher movie with that.

And you can't tell me Goku would have that much trouble opening a door. Well unless it's the door to Dr. Gero's secret lab lol.
Would he even need to open the door?

The dude can teleport, so doors should be pointless to him.

Are you talking about Goku from the old famicom game Yuyuki?
No.

I talk about a certain western third party character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom