• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
The argument for Pit is that Sakurai knew Uprising was his next project after Brawl, hence the redesign. You can easily make an argument Pit was redesigned and updated for that alone.

What better way to get people hyped for Uprising than by reminding them Kid Icarus was a thing?
Nothing could be further from the truth. Pit was decided for Brawl's roster 7 years before Uprising came out, and at least 4 before the project was even conceptualised. The DS was 1 year old on the market at the time and I know companies always start thinking about their next console as soon as the last is released, but that's just preliminary work and actual games only come with a far more concrete idea of what the handheld is. Moreover, Kid Icarus Uprising was meant to be a project that utilised one of Nintendo's dormant properties that got Brawl representation, not the 2012 culmination of an advert given to people in 2008.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My biggest concern is how awful Spring Man's idle animation looks.
He could be one of the last people being worked on if this is true. Someone pointed out how Bowser Jr had issues when Smash 4 released and that was because we know from Sakurai himself that Bowser Jr was nearly cut but they were able to get him to a workable state before release.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
If the spring stadium were ripped, how would you explain the animated crowd? Is that really something that would carry over from a rip? Assuming it could even be ripped seeing as multiple people have mentioned that ripping isn't possible from switch atm.
Even if they found a way to do so, they didn't just rip it and call it a day.

A good amount of time went into the stage to at least at the void areas around the arena, and make it look more like something designed for Smash. I do wish we could see the monitor unpaused because that could give us a lot of insight, although I don't believe it works like Little Macs or Pokemon Stadiums stage in Arms.

Original animations, original decidueye model, and modified stage shows a LOT of effort went into this if faked.

EDIT: never mind that last bit about the light, watching the beginning, its just the TV monitor, you can see it in frame before. We might have something going here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Moreover, Kid Icarus Uprising was meant to be a project that utilised one of Nintendo's dormant properties that got Brawl representation, not the 2012 culmination of an advert given to people in 2008.
Not only that, but the original concept had nothing to do with Kid Icarus. Sakurai just decided on what kind of game he was going to make and then decided Pit and the Kid Icarus series as a whole would fit that style of game best.

It was just coincidence that Pit was added to Brawl years prior.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Even if they found a way to do so, they didn't just rip it and call it a day.

A good amount of time went into the stage to at least at the void areas around the arena, and make it look more like something designed for Smash. I do wish we could see the monitor unpaused because that could give us a lot of insight, although I don't believe it works like Little Macs or Pokemon Stadiums stage in Arms.

Original animations, original decidueye model, and modified stage shows a LOT of effort went into this if faked.

EDIT: never mind that last bit about the light, watching the beginning, its just the TV monitor, you can see it in frame before. We might have something going here.
Im starting to think the same thing tbh. I would really like to see a break down on all of the animations present in the video as well.

The video is either a super convincing fake, or beta footage. I could definitely see the video being real, and the pics outside of the spring man one being fake.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think another telling thing is.

Why not show BoTW Link or the Inklings? You're already playing it safe after all.

It might have been better for the leaker if this was fake to show them than Mario and Ice Climbers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think another telling thing is.

Why not show BoTW Link or the Inklings? You're already playing it safe after all.

It might have been better for the leaker if this was fake to show them than Mario and Ice Climbers.
Or why not show something that isn't playing safe?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's amazing how people fall for these fake leaks. Ice Climbers look awful. Their textures are more reminiscent of Brawl, Mario's model and textures are exactly the same as Odyssey instead of an art style consistent with the game, and Cappy's eyes are showing for no good reason. Which I don't even see why Cappy would be a part of Mario's design anyway.

Also the pictures are taken directly from the game instead of a camera. There would be way more pictures and actual footage. Another thing is that leaks always have whatever the most people expect from the game. That's why they have Spring Man and Ice Climbers. So more people will believe the leak.

Remember that Smash 5 leak that used character models from the 3DS version? That just proves people will believe whatever they want.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Because most people when they do this? They tend to go out there. Way way way too out there.

I suppose if fake you could do something that might be somewhat shocking like Shovel Knight or Geno or even a not so expected third party who isn't talked about a lot.

But then you kinda instantly make a lot of people not believe you. Even if you can simply say ''They placed well in the ballot." as an excuse this time.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Also heres a comparison of the Springman models.

As pointed out above, if fake the person who made this took a lot of time and attention to detail, Even the stances are accurate. Also the art style looks and color pallet looks a tad different, and almost shinier in the leak. Almost like this model of Springman was "Smashified."

From what I can tell from the video so far it seems pretty damn convincing to write off just yet.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Video I can believe to be real: If fake, the effort is definitely great. Decidueye's stance seems original. The render looks professionally done based on an older render for Smash, and Spring Man's stance/movement wouldn't be something a person would make. It looks weird, yes, but I could see them making him functon like an actual spring that is unstable per say.

Guess we'll see till fully debunked. I do find the three choices to be rather safe (probably the three safest bets right now?).

The Ice Climber/Mario one I say is fake. A lot of odd things there: Cappy is prominent, lack of shadows, ICs looking dated (heh).

I am going #teamrealbutonlyslightly

Pakky

Smash Hero
Looks very detailed and clean, but clearly fake.
That animation for Spring Man is off.
Whew nice we got some asset rippers on the scene!

Where's Rayman? C'mon do something wacky to really get me in the mood.

This, this is too tame and at the same time too hacky, show me your attempt at Inklings if your feeling sassy!

They didn't even try, I could do this.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I just saw the leak in question, and man does the animation look rough- and for a game that's (apparently) almost finished localization too? There's no way that's true.
Just because they're localizing it now doesn't mean they have the most up-to-date build of the game though, or that they need to have it if everything they're localizing is in this build, for example, and everything else after this is just polish so that stuff like Spring-Man's janky+stiff animation.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Preferably something like that would be someone that doesn't have a character model from other games, or at least doesn't have a more updated model from a Wii U or Switch game, making the possibility of recycling assets irrelevant. Like, say, Lip for example.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Video I can believe to be real: If fake, the effort is definitely great. Decidueye's stance seems original. The render looks professionally done based on an older render for Smash, and Spring Man's stance/movement wouldn't be something a person would make. It looks weird, yes, but I could see them making him functon like an actual spring that is unstable per say.

Guess we'll see till fully debunked. I do find the three choices to be rather safe (probably the three safest bets right now?).

The Ice Climber/Mario one I say is fake. A lot of odd things there: Cappy is prominent, lack of shadows, ICs looking dated (heh).

I am going #teamrealbutonlyslightly
Ya the models are original (Springman is shiner and different hue, Decidueye does not match any other 3D model, not Pokkens)
The animations are original and don't fit any other character. Springman is meant to be springy so thats why he looks a bit weird at times.
Stances match the characters' source material.
Stage is not a direct rip and has decent editing done and animated backgrounds.

I wish they did show actual moves though, which makes me skeptical. However the video seems solid currently. The images are a different story and not sure what to think but the video at least seems like an official project.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Show me the roster screen you coward!!!

Pick someone and make them fight!

This is nothing!!!!

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The only thing keeping me off is the lack of showing a move set. Why show what the poster did in the first place? Also sort of skeptical that it wasn't taken down yet.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Springman's arm doesn't stretch nor does he charge his 'Toasters' *snicker* alright mate, you tried.

Also, Decuideye isn't set to CPU for a little flair?

*Snicker* Might as well just put Sans on the roster :psycho:

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
The only thing keeping me off is the lack of showing a move set. Why show what the poster did in the first place? Also sort of skeptical that it wasn't taken down yet.
That bugs me too. I wish they did. And they showed one move off, so why not more? However the more and more I look into tearing the video apart the more I find that makes it look more valid.

D

Deleted member

Also heres a comparison of the Springman models.

As pointed out above, if fake the person who made this took a lot of time and attention to detail, Even the stances are accurate. Also the art style looks and color pallet looks a tad different, and almost shinier in the leak. Almost like this model of Springman was "Smashified."

From what I can tell from the video so far it seems pretty damn convincing to write off just yet.
But look.
Decidueye looks way too much like its Pokken self as Opossum stated. Look at the icons on the Pokken and on the leak of Decidueye.
So this leak should be written off.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But look.
Decidueye looks way too much like its Pokken self as Opossum stated. Look at the icons on the Pokken and on the leak of Decidueye.
However if it is Pokken and Arms stuff lifted?

They are the first person to do this.

That's what keeps me from so easily writing off as lifted assets as so many are doing.

You can't lift Switch assets from the game yet. There's no known way to rip them.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Also the back air argument is nonsensical, surely? Many characters share an aerial. Considering both Little Mac and Spring Man are boxers, that doesn't seem farfetched at all.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Show me the roster screen you coward!!!

Pick someone and make them fight!

This is nothing!!!!

Not even the roster screen can be considered evidence anymore. Heheh.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Also the back air argument is nonsensical, surely? Many characters share an aerial. Considering both Little Mac and Spring Man are boxers, that doesn't seem farfetched at all.
The difference for me is that Mac is literally not an air fighter, so his aireals are kinda meant to look a little off.

Spring Man isn't a character I can see having that issue considering jumping is a big part of ARMS.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
But look.
Cant rip models from switch games yet, and he didnt appear in the wii u version, so that point is null.

Here's a GIF of springman's bair. His arm stretches out, and it's a different animation than Mac's bair.

videotogif_2018.04.14_20.09.49.gif

Also, here's the idle in case anyone wanted that.
videotogif_2018.04.14_20.02.43.gif

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Could you point me to where it says that? I forgot where it is. Though the idea he's a later addition may make sense.

Also, if this is an early build, that wouldn't even matter.
They say it in the OP of the 4chan post.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Could you point me to where it says that? I forgot where it is. Though the idea he's a later addition may make sense.

Also, if this is an early build, that wouldn't even matter.

4chan thread the leak came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom