• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly if she wasn't post game DLC I think this character would be the best pick to rep ARMS.

Her design is extremely unique and her in game abilities translate well into Smash along side the basic mechanics of ARMS.
Keep your inflation fetish out of my Smash game

I think Ribbon Girl Twintelle or Min Min would be the most likely secondary reps due to their popularity. Then again, popularity is a fickle thing to gauge in ARMS.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think Dr. Coyle would be the best post launch character choice, as she’s basically the main villain, she has unique moveset options, she’s heavily involved in the lore, and it would finally give us a female villain.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly if she wasn't post game DLC I think this character would be the best pick to rep ARMS.

Her design is extremely unique and her in game abilities translate well into Smash along side the basic mechanics of ARMS.
That is my main :D

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
there’s twintelle, helix, and min min

then there’s everyone else

but imo none of the designs are bad

misango is a little meh but we’re not getting him anyway

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Keep your inflation fetish out of my Smash game

I think Ribbon Girl Twintelle or Min Min would be the most likely secondary reps due to their popularity. Then again, popularity is a fickle thing to gauge in ARMS.
Actually since her release Lola Pop has surpassed at least that of Ribbon Girl in popularity. A lot of people love her, and not for inflation fetish reason....at least mostly.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Personally, I'd want Helix.

I feel like they could do some fun stuff with him, I dunno.

To be clear, we're under the impression she's been nearly cut more than once due to datamines of the games and such. So people think she could be cut. I don't know why people think it's likely to happen, though. It's a possibility, but doesn't seem that high. Especially when you consider how easy she is to remake and how popular she is. There's little reason to do so.

While I do work on games, I haven't gotten far into programming. Interesting to note.
I see.

This might just be me, but I view the Original 12 characters as sort of substantial characters in terms of Smash. I know that there's really nothing saying that none of them can ever be cut, but I feel like if any of them were to be cut, there would definitely feel like there was something missing. Like there's a hole that can't be filled up, or something.

I dunno, I just feel very strongly about this. Most of the Original 12 are undoubtedly safe from ever being cut solely due to who they are, but I still think about the possibility.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ugh, this is bugging me.

That screenshot and the gameplay with Spring Man looks... Good. Really good. It's not a massive jump over Smash 4's graphical quality by any means, but it's really about where I'd expect this game to be. The Shadows, model quality, colors, and especially the stage outside of the audience... They're about where I'd expect this game to be. The only thing throwing me for a loop are the animations, which could very well be placeholders.

I dunno, I'm still on team fake but damn if I don't hope the next game is somewhere along the lines of that footage.

Not so much the Icies and Mario one though. That could be because it's a Brawl stage but eh.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Mark my words, be prepared for the Spring Man x Little Mac fanart when he's officially revealed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll be honest, I actually really dig Spring Man's design, toothpaste hair and all.

Though Helix, Min Min, and Lola Pop also rank pretty high for me.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’d love Mechanica because she’s my main and a heavyweight character in a mech would be amazing

I love D.Va-um I mean Mechanica.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
If anyone is curious, I analyzed the length of Spring Man's arm using his aerial move. I imagine his ground reach will be much further, but its quite a reach for an air move.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Watching the P5 DSN trailer over and over again kinda makes me want a stage where you're fighting on train tracks, and trains come in and try to hit you from the background. Kinda like Port Town Aero Dive, or that one stage in Kirby Triple Deluxe with all the trains.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I was honestly always expecting Mac-or at least a fighter heavily based on Mac- to be added to ARMS because it always just made too much sense to me. In the end it's probably better they let the game breathe as its own thing like Splatoon did, but it was something I still wanted to see.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If anyone is curious, I analyzed the length of Spring Man's arm using his aerial move. I imagine his ground reach will be much further, but its quite a reach for an air move.

I gotta say, a lot of effort went into making this (assuming it’s fake), so props to whoever’s behind it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't expect a lot of IPs in this installment, but if I had to list all of the most probable ones:
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Pilotwings
  • Puzzle League
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Shovel Knight
Characters: Rhythm Girl, Pilot, Lip, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Arle Nadja, Shovel Knight.

Arle Nadja could have the potential to represent both Puyo Puyo and Tetris because of the crossover. Lip has the potential to do that as well.

As for Pilotwings, I would expect Lark to appear as a playable character, but under the name "Pilot". Kind of like how Popo & Nana are referred to as Ice Climbers or Tap Trial Girl would most likely be Rhythm Girl.

He could be the first character who uses a jet pack as his main weapon. There's also other weapons in his arsenal such as the bird suit, hang glider, rings, parachute, and a Gyrocopter that fires missiles as a Final Smash.

Maybe Dillon or Chibi-Robo could happen too. I'd like to see some more relic/gem characters.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Spring Man isn't that generic to me. I've seen far worse.

Though he's a fighting game MC through and through, so he's pretty vanilla anyway.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't expect a lot of IPs in this installment, but if I had to list all of the most probable ones:
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Pilotwings
  • Puzzle League
  • Bomberman
  • Castlevania
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Shovel Knight
Characters: Rhythm Girl, Pilot, Lip, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Arle Nadja, Shovel Knight.

Arle Nadja could have the potential to represent both Puyo Puyo and Tetris because of the crossover. Lip has the potential to do that as well.

As for Pilotwings, I would expect Lark to appear as a playable character, but under the name "Pilot". Kind of like how Popo & Nana are referred to as Ice Climbers or Tap Trial Girl would most likely be Rhythm Girl.

He could be the first character who uses a jet pack as his main weapon. There's also other weapons in his arsenal such as the bird suit, hang glider, rings, parachute, and a Gyrocopter that fires missiles as a Final Smash.

Maybe Dillon or Chibi-Robo could happen too. I'd like to see some more relic/gem characters.
Not seeing how Puzzle League is a probable inclusion. Even Pilotwings i;d beg to differ.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It's just his design compared to literally everyone else in that series.

He's just really really bland. Even Spring Girl who has a sort of bland appearance has things that make her seem more intriguing like the whole pop star thing.
Can't say I agree. Tootpaste Pompadour puts his design above Ribbon Girl's for me. I agree though that most characters have superior designs to him in this series.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Spring Man isn't that generic to me. I've seen far worse.

Though he's a fighting game MC through and through, so he's pretty vanilla anyway.
I mean it might just be because he invented the formula, but Ryu isn't boring to me. He's not the most interesting person in the Street Fighter story, but I actually do really quite like Ryu's personality.

So the main dude in a fighting game doesn't have to be completely generic.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Honestly I think Spring Man is a perfect rep for ARMS. His design is appealing but simple, and he doesn’t have any other crazy features to distract from the already crazy extendable spring arms. He’s definitely the best choice for a mascot, imo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've seen people commenting on how high Spring Man can jump.

But maybe if this is real it's just Sakurai making up for the fact you can't get any of that high jump action in Smash, because you can't throw the bumpers or spring pads on every stage for Spring Man.

D

Deleted member

Because most people when they do this? They tend to go out there. Way way way too out there.

I suppose if fake you could do something that might be somewhat shocking like Shovel Knight or Geno or even a not so expected third party who isn't talked about a lot.

But then you kinda instantly make a lot of people not believe you. Even if you can simply say ''They placed well in the ballot." as an excuse this time.
But I mean, why go for two of the most common names in Smash Switch speculation after the Inklings themselves assuming it's legit?

Why not like, someone who isn't so "unanimous" like a DK character?
Or even a veteran that has a notable update like Link (but not Link because we know about him already)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why not like, someone who isn't so "unanimous" like a DK character?
Well this one here at least I can tell you why.

Cranky and Funky? Dixie and K. Rool fans join together and go ''Nope. Fake."

Dixie? K. Rool only fans jump around and most likely scream about the ballot and the Mii Fighter costumes.

K. Rool? Dixie only fans jump around and scream about relevancy.

You can't win that scenario.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I just love that we have a leak to discuss. Thank you, Mr.leaker, fake or not.

I have a problem with Deciduye height and portrait. Springman seems perfect and the stage looks cool.
While i think the game will support GC controller, why would someone involved in the project play with one?They use GCC in "Tree house"?

Great video. If it's fake, and I think it is, the person know how to chose characters. Spring Man and Deciduey are "shoo-in" for a lot of people, so it was a wise decision.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Maybe Nintendo of America doesn't get the final gameplay build of the game when they are doing translations and stuff.

I mean, it's common for fighting games to put in placeholder animations when they are testing for gameplay reasons and other things. If this is real, I bet that's what's going on.

D

Deleted member

Well this one here at least I can tell you why.

Cranky and Funky? Dixie and K. Rool fans join together and go ''Nope. Fake."

Dixie? K. Rool only fans jump around and most likely scream about the ballot and the Mii Fighter costumes.

K. Rool? Dixie only fans jump around and scream about relevancy.

You can't win that scenario.
Meanwhile no one dares to claim fake on Decidueye.....

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Another thing I'm taking a look at is the stage itself.

Its not a rip. Its been heavily modified. The center has been shrunk. The void has been added. And look at the stadium stairwell in the crowd in the center. In the left it hooks down and you see 7 hooks, while the one of the right only has 3.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I mean it might just be because he invented the formula, but Ryu isn't boring to me. He's not the most interesting person in the Street Fighter story, but I actually do really quite like Ryu's personality.

So the main dude in a fighting game doesn't have to be completely generic.
His design is more of what I was getting at.

Like at face value, Ryu is just a dude in karate gi, Kyo Kusanagi is just a guy wearing his school uniform, Terry Bogard is just a dude in a trucker jacket and jeans, Jin Kazama just wears his Karate outfit (usually), etc. Spring Man is also similarly... "normal" for the lack of a better word.

All these characters are pretty standard compared to other characters from their own series like Alisa from Tekken, who is a robot girl that tears away her own limbs in battle. Or Sylvie from KOF who's literally just Kyary Pamyu Pamyu with electricity. Or whatever the hell FANG is.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Spring Man and Decidueye aren't even the most obvious picks, they both have timing against them. Idk what you guys are talking about when you say they were "obvious"

Obvious would be Bandana Dee or Isabelle imo

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meanwhile no one dares to claim fake on Decidueye.....
I mean if this is all fake the leaker chose well with his characters. If he had thrown in Incineroar or Mimikyu we most likely wouldn't be talking about this now. Because no one has any real faith in them because as we all know the only popular Gen 7 is Decidueye.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think by obvious they mean what people are speculating on forums/social media.

Spring Man and Decidueye pop up so often in these prediction/want rosters in those mediums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom